homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » The U.S.S. USA-- Boldly going forward, 'cause we can't find reverse! (Page 14)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The U.S.S. USA-- Boldly going forward, 'cause we can't find reverse!
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
...comfortably watching the "King Family Singers" on Get TV retro network. (Broadcast, but should be online, too.)

Anyone else remember them? Huge family (listing said 39 people--that's multiple generations). Singing and dancing and playing instruments. This is a Christmas special--from the 60s, I think. They were a big deal, back then. I think some of them might still be performing.

Anyway, I loved them and their TV specials as a kid, and I'm thrilled they're on tonight.

Merry Christmas and/or Happy Holidays to all! [Smile]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I don't remember the "King Family Singers" (though I do remember the 60s -- no, really I do).

However I love the "King's Singers." One of our classical stations interviewed them and had them perform in their studio (I was lucky enough to hear the broadcast twice). I've been even luckier to hear and see them perform twice in person.

[ 25. December 2017, 15:27: Message edited by: Pigwidgeon ]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[claim-to-fame alert ON]

Claim to fame no. 1:
When we lived in Orkney, we had the King's Singers at the St. Magnus Festival one year, and I was doing front-of-house at the Festival Club after their concert. One of the committee members said they wanted Festival sweatshirts and gave me the (not at all unpleasant) task of fitting them for them. [Big Grin]

Claim to fame no. 2:
I was at the wedding of the parents of one of the current King's Singers - his father was organist of the church round the corner from the Cathedral when we were in Belfast. In fact, D. may well have played the organ on that occasion. [Cool]

[/claim-to-fame alert OFF]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
GK, this one?

Christmas with the King Family

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
mt--

Yes. [Smile]

Piglet--

Cool! [Smile] But not the group I'm talking about.

[ 25. December 2017, 23:55: Message edited by: Golden Key ]

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Official King Family site.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Pigwidgeon--

Sorry, didn't see your post first time through. Cool! I remember the 60s, too. [Biased] I was too young to get involved in anything, for which I'm truly grateful.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Piglet--

Cool! [Smile] But not the group I'm talking about.

Sorry - I thought they were who Pigwidgeon was talking about in the post above mine.

[ 26. December 2017, 01:20: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

No problem. I inadvertently caused the confusion, because I originally only saw your post, and not Pigwidgeon's.

Apologies! [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

[Smile]

--------------------

Salicional
Shipmate
# 16461

- Posted      Profile for Salicional   Email Salicional   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The folks along the southern shore of Lake Erie who wished for a white Christmas have a lot more than they bargained for! Erie, PA broke a record with 53 inches of snow in 30 hours, and I imagine the snowbelt in western NY has similar totals. I'm about 40 miles south of the lake itself, and we've only had about 6 inches since Christmas Eve. At least schools, etc. aren't in session at the moment, but the people up along that lake are going to have quite a headache digging themselves out from this.
Posts: 68 | From: near Lake Erie | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was in PA for Christmas at my daughter's, with my brothers. Fortunately we were not in that part of the state and escaped with a dusting, and no problems.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Salicional:
... 53 inches of snow in 30 hours ...

[Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

And I thought we were badly hit, getting about a foot on Christmas Day.

--------------------

Salicional
Shipmate
# 16461

- Posted      Profile for Salicional   Email Salicional   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The NWS is now pegging Erie's snowfall total at 60 inches since Christmas Eve. Five feet! I mean, it's not like people who live in a snowbelt are unprepared for big dumps, but plowing the roads clear of that much snow is a herculean task. City crews and the Pennsylvania Dept. of Transportation are working around the clock with every piece of snow-removal equipment they have, but people are still being warned to stay off the roads. Most every business in town is closed. Fortunately the snow is expected to taper off today.
Posts: 68 | From: near Lake Erie | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Meanwhile in Phoenix we're enjoying 70°F days and 40°F nights -- about right for this time of year. The spell of no rain is back, though -- we can sure use some (as could the Ventura, California area -- are you listening, God?).

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

That sounds like quite a civilised temperature, ABR, although I really wouldn't want it that warm at this time of year. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Gosh. That's a lot of snow. How far south on the east does it snow? The Carolinas? I'm finalising my little jaunt around there and pondering hiring a car as per Augustine's post. As I have no snow/ice experience, I'm wary of doing so too far north. Tough enough to drive on the wrong [Biased] side of the road.

In good news I found a hiking club in NC that has walks on when I am there - hope I can catch a lift and walk with them.

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ian Climacus:
How far south on the east does it snow?

It's not just a matter of how far south; it's also a matter of elevation. You need to check local weather forecasts.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Assuming you are not high up in the mountains, it will snow pretty briskly in Washington DC in January or February. But that's about it. Going south it's far less; we were visiting friends in central North Carolina this week and I noticed that the houses have no garages -- there is never need to hack your car out of the ice.
Unless your journey is in the deeps of winter, I wouldn't worry too much -- checking the weather sites is always wise, of course.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you both.
Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And thank you all for participating in the year 2017. See you all in 2018!

Happy New Year!🎆

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016