homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » The U.S.S. USA-- Boldly going forward, 'cause we can't find reverse! (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  12  13  14 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The U.S.S. USA-- Boldly going forward, 'cause we can't find reverse!
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There's an app you can get, which swaps out every picture of Dishonest Don for a picture of a kitten.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ah, probably a variant of "Kitten Block" for Firefox, by which Daily Mail links take you to a kitten site.
[Cool]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I do hope they're pink kittens, and not orange ones!

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Miss Amanda--

Re Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence:

They do good work. If your friend is a Christian, of any flavor, he should know that the good sisters sometimes like to push Christians' buttons. It's part of their schtick.

NOT suggesting that he shouldn't join. As I said, they do good work. But he should be aware, going in.

FWIW.

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
... I can't stand looking at his face or listening to his voice.

I know what you mean; every other Facebook post seems to have a picture of his gurning, ugly mug in it. I don't mind reading about his latest atrocity/idiocy, but I really could do without having his bake* thrust up my nose at every opportunity.

So far, by judicious use of the "mute" button on the computer, I've managed to avoid hearing his voice.

* bake n. Northern Irish derogatory term for the face

[ 26. January 2017, 21:25: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I too have been able mostly to avoid that milk-curdling voice. I had hoped that he would lose and looked forward to never hear him again, sigh.

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Re Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence: They do good work. If your friend is a Christian, of any flavor, he should know that the good sisters sometimes like to push Christians' buttons.

More so than we do here on the Ship? [Ultra confused]

I think he knows.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Miss Amanda--

Fair enough. If either of you want to know a little more, go to the "Sistory" page of their site. They tend to name things in a way that pokes at Christians, and do them on Christian holy days. On that page, look at the first line of the "2000" section. That will give you an idea. And further items in that paragraph.

LGBT folks have good reason to be angry with institutional Christianity. I just think a Christian going into that situation should know ahead of time.

Best of luck to him! [Angel]

[ 27. January 2017, 05:39: Message edited by: Golden Key ]

--------------------

MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

- Posted      Profile for MaryLouise   Author's homepage   Email MaryLouise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What Brenda said. Milk-curdling is the exact term for it. A Queens New York accent (not that I'm an expert on regional American accents) that's squawky and screechy. But it's what he says, that word salad of threats and boasts and the ad hoc, that gets me more than how he says it.

Here he is on Fox News with an upper-class English accent superimposed by comedian Peter Sarafinowicz.

Trump in a different voice

[ 27. January 2017, 09:30: Message edited by: MaryLouise ]

--------------------
“As regards plots I find real life no help at all. Real life seems to have no plots.”

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Posts: 646 | From: Cape Town | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by MaryLouise:
Here he is on Fox News with an upper-class English accent superimposed by comedian Peter Sarafinowicz.

That is hysterical! Beautifully done.

Now if only someone could superimpose intelligence into his brain...

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

The one upside in this whole appalling situation is Alec Baldwin. He's mining this for Saturday Night Live beautifully, and he seems willing to continue in the role for the duration. Between him and the shirtless guy rippling his pecs playing Putin it's comedy gold. Not since Tina Fey was skewering Sarah Palin has it been funnier.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by MaryLouise:

That's unfair to honest, decent toffs. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hearing Theresa May followed by Donald Fart on the news this afternoon would have induced the vomit reflex if I hadn't extinguished the radio in time. She seems like a programmable automaton, and he is... I don't know if there's a word for it yet. Good thing I had just been to the Scottish bakery for some comfort food.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Even the POST reports that the PM was run over by Dishonest Donald and his motor mouth. You weren't surely expecting him to be a gentleman and let her get a word in edgewise.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

As an exiled Brit, I'm rather disappointed (possibly even ashamed) that she was so quick to go and visit him.

Ugh. [Projectile]

--------------------

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Maybe she drew the short straw?

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I suspect that when you're the Prime Minister, you decide what length the straws are. [Disappointed]

--------------------

jedijudy

# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was imagining the world wide group of leaders arguing who had to make an official state visit to the orange one first. In my little scenario, there is much debate, some weeping, and quite a lot of shouting. Finland makes the reasonable suggestion that they should draw straws, and as the leaders draw the longer ones, they breathe audible sighs of relief. Mrs. May draws her visibly shorter straw and slumps while everyone else cheers.

They totally ignore the fact that they have to do this again to determine visitor number two. The Muslim members are secretly relieved that they don't have to worry about it, while enjoying the outrage of the world on their behalf.

[ETA words]

[ 29. January 2017, 11:27: Message edited by: jedijudy ]

--------------------

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

NB just to explain that the above is my weird imagination, and does not resemble the real world.

Or does it?

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What else were they doing at Davos? (And why wasn't he concerned about what they were talking about behind his back? Or is he one of those people who don't realise that other people exist and do things when he can't see them?)
jedijudy

# 333

Ah. To continue my scenario, the orange one has a handicap. His narcissism doesn't allow him to recognize others as actual beings, so they don't matter. Except possibly his children. But there's no guarantee.

The proper southern response is, Bless his little heart. In the true Southern understanding of that phrase.

Dear All Saints Hosts, please forgive me! I should probably have posted these types of writings in Purg. Or maybe even, Hell. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

He does understand crowds, however. Ratings. Numbers. Hence the need for protest; there is no other way to communicate with him. I'm knitting pussy hats as fast as I can. The number of people who have requested them is getting beyond me.

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is there some online source of pink pussy hats? One that is ethical/Fair Trade or whatever, with all profits to the employees or a recognised charity?

Serious question, BTW.

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Here in the US it is a crowd-run volunteer effort. People knit them, they are gathered and then handed out. Or (as I am doing) it's completely ad-hoc and if you want one you tell me about it. I have about half a dozen I need to knit, by request, and then I may do a few more for when there is need. Here is a video about the project.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
He does understand crowds, however. Ratings. Numbers. Hence the need for protest; there is no other way to communicate with him.

He may understand crowds, but he doesn't believe the official sizes of them. If they're for him, they're HUGE; if they're opposed to him, they're insignificant (and probably all people who were paid to be there).

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There's apparently a report on Facebook (so of uncertain validity) that Frau Merkel in her conversation with him had to explain what the Geneva Convention was.

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Pigwidgeon, that's exactly what I was thinking.

JH - not just Facebook - it was in the Guardian as well. I'll freely admit to not knowing much about the Geneva Convention, but then I've not just become Leader Of The Free World™.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

Sean Hannity of Faux News implied the recent protests were bankrolled by shadowy figures. The comments on Huffington Post are wonderful!

--------------------
~Tortuf

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
He does understand crowds, however. Ratings. Numbers. Hence the need for protest; there is no other way to communicate with him.

He may understand crowds, but he doesn't believe the official sizes of them. If they're for him, they're HUGE; if they're opposed to him, they're insignificant (and probably all people who were paid to be there).
This.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

It is worth gathering crowds, because he loves them and cannot resist at least noticing them. (It is idle to write letters, for instance, since the man does not read.) And he's heavily invested in the concept of popularity -- ratings. He can only avoid the tanking popularity ratings for so long; it must make him writhe, to view how popular other presidents were at this point in their reigns.

--------------------

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've been as guilty as anyone else here, but is there a chance we could stop discussing Trump and the general political hell on this thread? It would be nice to have a Trump-free space.

And if we actually wanted All Saints-y stuff around Trump, it could/should be its own thread, IMO. (If there are LA area shipmates interested in getting together for the march on Tax Day or Yay for Immigrants Day (or whatever it's called) I'd be interested.)

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
It would be nice to have a Trump-free space.

My fondest dream.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Good idea, Ruth.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
It would be nice to have a Trump-free space.

Space is welcome to him. I'd prefer a Trump-free Earth.
Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

Now, for a happy change of subject...
Daughter-Unit is coming to spend the day with me! I know. This is not earth shattering information, but I am so pleased that we can spend some time together!

She works for a CPA, and tax season starts the middle of January, so she is inundated with tons of work. It makes me so happy that she would carve out time from her heavy schedule to be with me. We're also going to see my parents, and they are very excited to be able to see her.

D-U is an amazing woman, and, as you can probably tell, her heart is enormous and loving, and I'm a very blessed Mama! [Axe murder]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Hope you and D-U have a wonderful time, JJ. [Smile]

--------------------

jedijudy

# 333

We did, Piglet! Spent a good while with my parents and went to our favorite local restaurant for lunch. And talked, talked, and talked some more. We took the Yankee way home (north of the river [Biased] ) and stopped to see the eagles!! One of the parents was on the nest, and the other was soaring way above us; no doubt on patrol.

We went back to my home and sat and talked some more.

Here sits a very happy Mama! <3

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
JJ, I can't help thinking that there sits a Mama who is reaping the results of giving her daughter a loving upbringing. [Axe murder]

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Today in the paper I see that a local church (a Methodist one in Virginia) is offering drive-by ashes for Ash Wednesday.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I'm not sure whether I'm more surprised at the idea of drive-by ashes ( [Confused] ) or that it's the Methodists that are doing it - I didn't imagine it was their sort of thing.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

I suppose it is not different from any other use of technology, like live-streaming sermons.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

Our Cathedral offers "Ashes to Go" at the Light Rail station which is right next to them, and other churches in the diocese offer them at various locations.

--------------------
~Tortuf

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
I'm not sure whether I'm more surprised at the idea of drive-by ashes ( [Confused] ) or that it's the Methodists that are doing it - I didn't imagine it was their sort of thing.

One imagines a swing-away arm, and a parishioner sticking his/her head WAY out of the car. At about 25 mph, preferrably.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

There's also a church here in Phoenix that offers drive-through prayer. Volunteers stationed under a canopy in the driveway will pray with motorists who pull up and voice their concerns -- all without having to leave the comfort of one's car.

Sort of like the drive-up window at Starbucks or Dutch Bros. People too desperate for a cup of coffee even to get out of their cars to buy one.

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Or too idle.

OTOH, perhaps the pray-ers praying with the prayer-seekers are given a certain amount of privacy by the way the thing's set up?

IJ

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

Scottsdale, Arizona, just outside Phoenix, used to have a Drive-In Church, set up just like a drive-in movie. The church is still there, but the speaker poles are gone.

--------------------
~Tortuf

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
Perhaps the pray-ers praying with the prayer-seekers are given a certain amount of privacy by the way the thing's set up?

I confess to having availed myself of it on one or two occasions. Even if there were a line of cars whose occupants were waiting to be prayed for, it is unlikely that people in the car behind would hear what the person in the car in front of them was saying, or what the volunteer under the canopy was saying either, for that matter.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So what are you guys doing lurking at the top of page 2?

Just popped in to say NZ has been invaded - by US Coastguards, a long way from home. They are helping staff the cordon around the Port Hills fire.

I think they were on an official visit anyway and offered to help. Much appreciated [Overused] [Axe murder]

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The Coast Guard is pretty cool. I've always been a fan.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I dearly wanted to go to the Coast Guard Academy but they turned me down. How different my life would have been!

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  12  13  14 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016