homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » The U.S.S. USA-- Boldly going forward, 'cause we can't find reverse! (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  12  13  14 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The U.S.S. USA-- Boldly going forward, 'cause we can't find reverse!
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My brother graduated from college and then entered the Coast Guard Officer Training Program. He served on a buoy tender out of Galveston.

His most noteworthy experience came one night when he was Officer of the Deck. A shrimp boat with no lights showing was dragging a net. The cutter ran over the net and capsized the shrimp boat. (My brother believes there was no one on the deck of the shrimp boat at the time of the accident.) Naturally the cutter came to the rescue of the shrimp boat. There was a Court of Inquiry which exonerated my brother. He also ended up getting credit for assisting the rescue of the shrimp boat!

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The Coast Guard (or Knee-Deep Navy as they are otherwise known) do good work! I'm glad they were in the right place at the right time to help y'all, Huia!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Spring seems to have sprung. But Winter flowers are blooming. It's Sprinter! Or maybe Winting!

On the way home from church, I saw a jacaranda blooming (which is normally in April and May), and dozens and dozens of amaryllis! Which is pretty much on time.

Well, whenever they bloom, it is lovely to see them!

--------------------

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's been pouring rain in the Phoenix area all weekend, but should end tomorrow. So everything that isn't already blooming will go crazy in a few days. [Smile] Unfortunately, that means lots of pollen in the air. [Frown]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thirteen of my eighteen hyacinths are sending up shoots. I planted a new color last fall, and I'm eager to see it.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hyacinths are one of my favourites, Moo. I planted several bulbs on my balcony when I moved here nearly six years ago.

I was very annoyed to find one morning that the cockatoos had pulled them all up and had gnawed the bulbs, one being almost completely eaten. As the bulbs are poisonous , I guess there were a few sick birds around. Or perhaps dead.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We're due to get smacked by another rainstorm here in NoCal. I just saw a forecast for 2.5"/64mm tomorrow. There will be some flooding, no doubt. If I didn't have to go out, I think I'd be hunkering down.
Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You do seem to have been catching it - California seems to have featured on the "wild weather from round the world" slots on the Weather Channel here for the last few days. Is there any way the water can be channelled for future use, as that level of rain seems to be something of a rarity round your way?

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

We are promised rain tomorrow!! [Yipee]
My gutters are being cleared right now (didn't know about the coming rain when I made arrangements) so hopefully things will move along perfectly! The leaves finished falling last month. The only coming gutter fillers will be the elm buds that are puffed out all over the tree in the front.
[Eek!]
The rain will probably fill the gutters with the bud detritus. Should have thought this through a bit more. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
How are things basso, and other northern California residents? My friends in San Jose have been telling me about the floods there.
Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Flooding all around us but we are high and dry. Feel so bad for those who lost their homes to fire two years ago and are renting near the lake only to now be flooded out.

One good thing is people got out early rather then later. Red Cross and local churches again on hand. The speed of the creeks filling and overflowing was very remarkable to watch.

Did find one good idea. Wrap a head flashlight facing in around a 1/2 gallon of water when the lights go out and you have a fairly bright emergency light. Would work well for camping also I think. Other then that wood stove and canned soup kept us warm and full.

Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hi, Ian. Thanks for asking. And good to see you here again!

Here in my corner of the north state things are going well. It's wet here but no real difficulties. We didn't get much flooding. San Jose, which you visited, got smacked when Coyote Creek flooded. About 14,000 people were evacuated. (Lots of links at Google News.) Despite a long history of flood problems there, the local authorities seem to have been caught completely unprepared.

We're now looking at billions of dollars to repair damage to roads, bridges, and dams. California is going to pay for many years of ignoring the obvious. I'm going to stop typing now before I start ranting.

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Prester John
Shipmate
# 5502

- Posted      Profile for Prester John   Email Prester John   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just slight flooding in my garage but I live in a hilly section so was able to avoid the worst. Some wind damage to my fence but all in all very fortunate.
Posts: 884 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I found it interesting that today, the International Day Without A Woman (on which women were supposed, among other things, to absent themselves from their jobs), any TV news broadcast that I watched announcing the event was read by a woman anchor and reported on by a woman reporter.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

I noticed that too, Miss Amanda. There are some woman jobs that just can't be dismissed! (I'm thinking especially the job called 'Mom'!)

We haven't really had winter this year. [Frown] One of the things that encourages us during the oppressive heat and humidity of July and August is the knowledge that winter is coming. We normally have one or two days that actually get to freezing or a bit below. I think our coolest this year was in the high 30s and low 40s. We feel cheated!!!

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Apparently most of my fellow Americans will be losing an hour of sleep Saturday night, while I'll be snoozing away without messing about with my alarm clock.
[Snore]

So here's a friendly reminder for you.
[Razz]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

I make the adjustment to Daylight Savings Time a bit at a time. Tuesday evening I set my bedside clock fifteen minutes ahead. I did the same last night. I will do the same tonight and tomorrow night. Saturday morning I will get up a full hour early. I will probably be slightly sleepy during the day. By Sunday I will be fully adjusted.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
... We haven't really had winter this year ...

You only needed to ask - you could have had some of ours. [Big Grin]

Pigwidgeon - thanks for the reminder. [Killing me]

I'm generally OK with the time-change, even though I accept that at our latitude we probably don't need it. Having been used to it in some form or other* all my life, I rather think I'd miss it (especially the extra hour in bed in late October) if it weren't there.

I may well feel in need of a snoozette by Sunday afternoon though ... [Snore]

* there was a period in the late 60s when the UK was on GMT + 1 hour all year, which IIRC didn't do Orkney any favours - I was in primary school at the time and we were issued with fluorescent arm-bands so that we wouldn't get run over on our way to school.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
So here's a friendly reminder for you.
[Razz]

Back when I was the choir director, we sang that and also had one for changing to standard time! It worked! The choir members always remembered!

I do wish we would just pick one and stick with it. Curses on you, Benjamin Franklin!!!!

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
I do wish we would just pick one and stick with it.

You could move to Arizona.
[Biased]

--------------------
~Tortuf

jedijudy

# 333

I have dear friends who summer in Flagstaff. They have invited me to spend time with them, and I hope to do so!

If I could just convince the PTB of Florida to become as sensible as those of Arizona! Back in the time of the dinosaurs, my family would drive to FL from PA to visit Mom's family. I remember that we had to change our watches because Florida was on Standard Time all year long. When did the insanity start?

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
I have dear friends who summer in Flagstaff. They have invited me to spend time with them, and I hope to do so!

Shipmeet!!!
[Yipee]

--------------------
~Tortuf

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am on the last day of a three-day conference in Wenatchee, WA, and although the conference has been blisteringly disappointing, I an finding the city quite lovely. To the west a sweeping "C" of mountains, shining with snow, comes almost down to the city gates. To the east is the mighty Columbia River, and a high bluff that opens onto the vast wheat fields of Eastern Washington. The oldest buildings downtown seem to date from the 1910s. Wish I'd had time to see more of it, but I need to get back over the mountains before the passes close.

[ 11. March 2017, 16:27: Message edited by: mousethief ]

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I've just googled Wenatchee, Mousethief, and it looks really pretty. [Smile]

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
I've just googled Wenatchee, Mousethief, and it looks really pretty. [Smile]

It is! Sadly it's deep in the heart of Trump country so I doubt I could stand living there or indeed staying there for any length of time. But physically it's a gem.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

We are promised some rain! Yay!
Thursday at almost the end of winter, we will finally have some cool weather. Low in the 40s and the high temp will only be 70. A relief after such a hot winter.

This morning I had planned to stay in bed until at least 7:00, since yesterday was long and I was tired. My brain betrayed me. It was before 6:00 when my feet hit the floor and I didn't even understand what time it was for another few minutes when I was doing my morning routine. Bad brain! Go to your room!!

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The Phoenix area has been enjoying daytime temperatures in the low 90s -- a bit warm for this time of year, but lovely. I've started sleeping with the bedroom window open about one-quarter of the way.

But the pine tree in front of my condo is "in heat" and shedding its dusty yellow-green pollen all over the place. I have to hose the porch off every morning so I can sit outside.

And the white wing doves are back! They haven't yet begun their obnoxious mating and territorial fighting behavior, but it's only a matter of time.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This morning I was in San Francisco, which was of a crystalline-blue sky and a forecasted high of 80 degrees. Got on the last plane out of town and arrived in Washington DC where it is 36 degrees and chilling rapidly; the snow is just starting to fall.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Glad to hear you god home safely, BC.

I have a feeling you're going to be sending what's left of your sn*w our way once you've finished with it. Couldn't someone just nudge it out into the Atlantic where it won't be such a bl**dy nuisance?

[Big Grin]

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's snowing hard here now, but not sticking overly much. Yet.

--------------------

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Here in New York City we're battening down before the snow. Schools are cancelled, my work is cancelled, the above-ground trains have been cancelled overnight.

I am looking forward to a snow day!

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

I guess most of you in other parts of the U.S. (especially in the northeast) don't want to hear about our record-breaking 92º here in the Phoenix area today.
[Razz]

Seriously, prayers for all of you facing dangerous conditions from the blizzard.
[Votive]

--------------------
~Tortuf

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

We've had about 3 inches so far and it is very windy. There is more on the way but probably not as much. The plows have done our street but my son is still asleep, and when he wakes up I will feed him and send him out with a shovel.

--------------------

jedijudy

# 333

Saturday we broke a high temp record (90 degrees) and we might break a low temp record later this week! [Eek!] It might be 40 degrees!

That's what we get for complaining about all the heat. [Biased]

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We have about 6" here, 15 miles north of Chicago. Snow falling gently now; I don't expect we'll get more than another inch or two. Really, it's just a basic winter day in Chicago. Except that it's the first actual winter day we've had in 2017.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

You all realize, of course, that God is showing his displeasure at the rise of you-know-who to power.

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

We got about an inch of snow last night, and we'll probably get another inch.

I was worried about what the snow would do to my hyacinths, which are blooming. So far, so good.

I am also concerned about one of my peonies which has started to send up shoots. I don't know what effect the cold and snow will have on it.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

My daffodils, in full bloom, were bowed down by the snow. I am hoping they are OK.

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
My daffodils, in full bloom, were bowed down by the snow. I am hoping they are OK.

And if that doesn't describe the current state the Obama legacy finds itself in, I don't know what would.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

It's going down into the 20s tonight. The trees are going to take a big hi; all the local magnolia trees have lost their blossoms already.

--------------------

Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
It's going down into the 20s tonight. The trees are going to take a big hi; all the local magnolia trees have lost their blossoms already.

Our magnolia was hit by a late deep frost last year, but somehow it recovered and we hope it will repeat that trick this year. Keep hoping!

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's not at all easy to kill a magnolia tree. We have one right by the house foundation (within 1 foot) and no amount of abuse takes it out, even a fullscale chopdown. Certainly it gets no freeze protection.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

The trees are tough but the blossoms tend to come out early and then get nipped by a late freeze. I am also sad about my fig tree, from which I was hoping for fruit at long last after a mild winter. Alas, it will probably die right down to the ground again. It always comes back, but I never get any fruit.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

I have a small fig tree that I planted because they are so pretty, but I really doubt I'll ever get fruit, and that's o.k. I doubt that I would ever get to eat them before the insects and birds got to them. It's one of the few plants I have here in Arizona that I can check on every day to look for new growth and new leaves and see that spring has indeed sprung.
[Smile]

--------------------
~Tortuf

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

If I had a fig-tree, the birds and bees would be welcome to its fruit.

[Projectile]

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
If I had a fig-tree, the birds and bees would be welcome to its fruit.

I've never been a big fan of the fruit, but I was amazed to find myself ordering a pizza that had figs on it a few years ago (don't tell the President of Iceland!) and really liking it. I'm assuming they're an acquired taste, that I'm just now slowly acquiring. But I'll buy mine at a store or restaurant, rather than fight off the birds and bugs. The trees are so pretty, especially the leaves.

--------------------
~Tortuf

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

I have quoted the relevant Scripture at least twice to my fig tree, without result. If I don't get some fruit soon I will have to act.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Fig season here, but like cherries it will be over almost before it started. I love them.

Two of my sons make a wonderful chutney or whatever, from the soft semi dried figs. Lots of chilli, figs, , some sugar and a bottle of port simmered very slowly for some hours. Wonderful with practically any form of cold meat. A wonderful aroma for that time. I must ask what else goes in it. It is some years since I had any.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

jedijudy

# 333

Figs are amazing! D-U didn't eat very many fruits or veggies when she was really little, but figs (or 'pigs', as she called them) were a huge favorite! I should get a fig plant for Mom and Dad's new home! Thanks for reminding me about them! [Smile]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Easy to grow , JJ, but they like a fair bit of water.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  12  13  14 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016