homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » The U.S.S. USA-- Boldly going forward, 'cause we can't find reverse! (Page 6)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  12  13  14 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The U.S.S. USA-- Boldly going forward, 'cause we can't find reverse!
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Miss Amanda, I'm glad it was a refund rather than a demand for payment!

We've had some rain this week! Yay! Altogether, almost an inch of rain! After being at high risk for fire most of the winter and spring, this has been a blessing!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
The scary news: I received a letter from the Arizona Department of Revenue and Taxation, Compliance Division.

The good news: It said I had overpaid my state income tax and that a refund would be sent under separate cover.

The bad news: It was only $13.00. But at least I treated myself to a nice lunch.

Not only a free lunch for you, but that's $13 less for our Governor and Legislature to use for their nefarious deeds.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
... We've had some rain this week! Yay!

We've got a rainfall warning; the river is running really high and they're forecasting up to 100 mm (nearly 4 inches) by Sunday. [Eek!]

I'm glad Château Piglet is well up from the riverside.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
jedijudy--

Belated Happy Star Wars Day! [Smile] .

Came across something you might like:

"Adam Scott's Reaction to Finally Meeting His Hero, Mark Hamill, Is So Freakin' Cute" (PopSugar).

Adam Scott was on the Jimmy Kimmel show, talking with guest host Kristen Bell about his love for Star Wars, and how he'd invited Mark Hamill to his second birthday party, but MH didn't come...

And then... [Yipee]

It's really fun.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Download sadly not available in India.

[Waterworks]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Golden Key, that was amazing!!!! And Fun!!! Thank you!!! A belated very happy Star Wars Day to you, too!

Adam Scott's hand was shaking! What an awesome surprise!

Love it! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
WW--

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
Download sadly not available in India.

[Waterworks]

I don't know how that works, so this may not help...but try checking some of these hits for "adam scott hamill kimmel video unrestricted" at Duckduckgo.

It says there are few hits that include "unrestricted". But there are many hits for the rest of it, including on YouTube. Maybe one of them will be viewable?

FWIW. YMMV.

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Goldie's link above seemed slightly mashed up, here's the one that works.

You're welcome. [Smile]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Wes--

Thanks. [Smile] But it did work for me. When I search, I generally put just the most important words.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I eventually found one that worked - thanks folks.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Yay!

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

[Hot and Hormonal]

Blooper by the Host there!

[Hot and Hormonal]

The link I used was this one!

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If it's any comfort, WW, when I clicked on GK's original link, it gave a whole load of stills and news articles from something called Pop Sugar, but not the video, and I just assumed it was one of those "not available in your country" things.

Things may not have been helped by the fact that I wouldn't have known Adam Scott if he'd come up in my soup ...

not very with-it piglet [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Piglet--

I wasn't sure who Adam Scott is, either! Evidently, an actor.

PopSugar is an online magazine geared for young women. (Maybe late teens to 30s.) I originally found it because other sites were linking to it for news-related articles. Generally, it comments on and analyzes news from news sites. They also have the usual stuff that you'd expect a young women's magazine to contain: celebrities, fashion, love, cute videos, self-help, home decorating, etc. And things like this Mark Hamill-related video.

The ABC network did restrict it. But I'm glad someone managed to provide it in a way that people outside the US can view it. (See WW's link.)

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wheeee, it's quiet here. (Must all be over on the Trump thread.)

My kid is caught up in the fidget spinner and daubing crazes. I laugh at the second one, as it looks very much like somebody wiping his nose on his sleeve, and how can that be cool?

And there are ... not screams ... but minor roars of protest from other parents in the media who think both of these things are horrid™ and must be put a stop to.

Me, I'm sitting here trying to think which of the fads in my youth were ever this harmless.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
Me, I'm sitting here trying to think which of the fads in my youth were ever this harmless.

Cootie catchers?

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:

Cootie catchers?
I remember making those -- I can't remember what they were called, but definitely not "cootie catchers"!

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think we called them fortune tellers. Different words of 'wisdom' under each flap.
Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We had cootie catchers but they were mainly for annoying people by suggesting whom they were in love with. And later, to function as claws while we chased each other.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by basso:
I think we called them fortune tellers. Different words of 'wisdom' under each flap.

Fortune tellers down here, usually with something very trite under the flap.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Also knew them as "fortune-tellers". They were for girls, and generally had boys' names at the final level. I think the first two levels were numbers and colors.

Interestingly, a variation on the folding makes a lotus. [Smile]

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I always knew them as fortune tellers, but locally they are called chatterboxes. I found a printed one to teach the Guide Law this week.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I think we just called them "paper snappers".

We were in a dollar-store the other day that had a sign by the checkout saying "NO FIDGET SPINNERS". We had to ask the nice girl on the checkout desk what the heck a fidget spinner was ... [Hot and Hormonal]

Piglet, feeling elderly and out of touch with Modern Culture™

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You're not alone. I've seen them around, but I didn't know what they were called until I just googled them.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Whereas I'd heard of them, but didn't know what they look like....

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Lots of fidget spinners at work and brought along to Guides. I've also seen fidget cubes at Guides. Mostly because she'd wrapped string around I and needed help to clear it.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Memorial Day marks the unofficial beginning of summer in the US.

Here in Arizona, it marks the beginning of nonstop 100 degree plus (Fahrenheit) heat (although we've had a string of such days already this month).

Windows are permanently closed and locked; A/C is permanently on.

It will be like this until Columbus Day in October.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Whereas here in NYC I won't be putting my AC in for some time yet, or so I gather by looking at the weather forecast. It's been grey and dreary, and rainy most of the time We get a couple of nice days (and we actually had two hot days when the AC would have been helpful) and then back to the grey and rain. [Disappointed]

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

Well do I remember how cold and dreary it could be in NY even in late May!

I remember too, as a young thing, that by the time school let out for the summer in late June, it was usually so hot that the teacher would take the class outside under a tree on the playground.

Memories, memories!

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolemr:
Whereas here in NYC I won't be putting my AC in for some time yet, or so I gather by looking at the weather forecast. It's been grey and dreary, and rainy most of the time We get a couple of nice days (and we actually had two hot days when the AC would have been helpful) and then back to the grey and rain. [Disappointed]

Sounds just like Britain - we had a couple of glorious days on Thursday and Friday, the last couple have been so dull that I have nearly put the central heating back on!
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

Meanwhile, I've been watching my least favorite birds, the white winged doves.

This year there must be a shortage of females. A few days ago I actually saw a female get gang-raped by at least a half dozen males. The females have taken to go about in pairs, I would imagine for protection -- like nuns used to do. They seem to tolerate each others' presence well.

The males, on the other hand, are very intolerant of each other. A male will violently attack any other male who comes anywhere near him, even following him as he flies away to attack some more. He won't let up until he's satisfied that the invading male is a good distance away and intends to stay there.

I used to have a wooden owl on my porch to keep them away. It worked until they got used to it, after which they either ignored it or even used it as a perch. This year I've put a toy cat out on the porch. Very realistic looking -- it's even fooled me once or twice. So far it is working beautifully in keeping the dreaded doves away.

White winged doves are very noisy, keeping up their calls all day and all hours of the night. They're also very aggressive, running into windows where they see their reflection. And they poop cups-full of thick white goo all over the place.

--------------------

jedijudy

# 333

We are having our summer temps; not as high as Miss Amanda's but feeling similar with the high humidity we have. It's been extremely hot already this year, and we've broken quite a number of previous high temp records.

Thank goodness for AC. The electric bill is not a joy, though.

Hey, you...rainy season! It's time to crank up! Hurricane season starts Thursday!!! We need some afternoon cooling!!!

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am still recovering from being up in the middle night on Sunday, videoing the thunderstorm. I don't take to sleep disturbance as I did once. But after selecting the frames with the forked stuff in, I have some pretty good shots. And it's fascinating to see the detail that happens in once strike from frame to frame. So feeling exhausted is worth it.
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Nicolemr:
... we actually had two hot days when the AC would have been helpful, and then back to the grey and rain ...

We had something like that the other week - it hit 33°C (91°F) one day, giving us our first proper use of the cooling function on the heat-exchanger, but took a plummet after that. It's now a pleasant 20°C (68°F) - that'll do nicely.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This gives me hope for our nation. Some of the greatest journalism of the day is coming from none other than TEEN VOGUE, a publication whose main focus is usually fashion and the latest trend in eye shadows.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

What surprises me, though, is that the readership of Teen Vogue would understand the vocabulary and sentence structure of much of the linked article.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The magazine has been banging out great reportage this past year, to considerable acclaim. So there must be an appetite for material of this sort, otherwise they would ditch it. It is a sign of hope for the future!

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
Hey, you...rainy season! It's time to crank up!

We have had rain four days in a row! [Yipee] Altogether about two and a half inches of water on my parched yard. That's a pretty good start. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

In my never-ending quest to keep the dreaded white winged doves off my porch, I put a toy cat out there. Looks very realistic -- even fooled me once or twice.

So far the doves are terrified of coming anywhere near it.

Other birds, though -- don't know what they are, maybe swallows or sparrows -- were quick to catch on. The other day one landed directly in front of it, stared it straight in the eye for a few seconds, and then flew off. Yesterday one landed behind it and pecked at its tail until I shooed it away. Today one snuggled up in its front paws -- again until I shooed it away.

Those birds don't bother me, though. They seldom if ever come on the porch. In fact, the cat may be attracting them.

The doves, on the other hand, as I've said upthread, are noisy, dirty and aggressive. They love to roost in the ceiling fan on my porch, and always look surprised when I turn the fan on. (Yes, they always manage to escape unharmed.)

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
In my never-ending quest to keep the dreaded white winged doves off my porch, I put a toy cat out there. Looks very realistic -- even fooled me once or twice.

Move it around a bit every couple of days so the doves don't accept it as just another inanimate object.

--------------------
~Tortuf

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

I do -- every morning. Right now it looks like it's ready to pounce. The sparrows love it.

--------------------

jedijudy

# 333

OK, I have had a couple of fun, funny and delightful experiences recently! [Big Grin]

Daughter-Unit took me to Blue Man Group, which we have both wanted to see for a long time. The whole show (including waiting for the actual show to begin) was amazing! Oh, yes. If I have a chance, I'll go see them again! D-U is taking her dear hubby to see them soon, too!

Last night, I was with seven other women at the local dinner theater to see Clue. And I helped! I got to pick out the murderer!!! It was hysterical! I laughed so much, my face and jaws still hurt!

So, if any of y'all haven't seen these performances, and you have a chance, just go! They are seriously funny and fun!

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

jedijudy--

Cool! When you identified the murderer, did you get to do it in true Clue style--e.g., "Col. Mustard, in the library, with the lead pipe"?

--------------------

jedijudy

# 333

Actually, I went onstage and Mr. Body fanned out the upside-down cards with the suspects, and I had to pick one and hold it to my chest so I couldn't see it, nor could the audience. The other two who picked out the weapon and the room were each less than half my age! Growing up is entirely optional!

My table cheered and hollered and were immediately designated as my fan club. We older ladies just like to have fun!

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

I was having breakfast on the porch this morning and what should come trotting through the courtyard but . . . a coyote! First one I've seen in a long time.

He glanced at me briefly and paused a moment, and then kept trotting on. I'm sure he realized that the rabbit that had just gone scampering through would make a tastier breakfast than I would.

--------------------

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That's very cool!

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Was he carrying a sandwich board for Acme Products?

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

No, but ever since our condo association began a concerted effort to drive the coyotes away, there have been very few road runners around also. I haven't spotted one in a long time, and I used to see them occasionally.

Another corollary of fewer coyotes is an overabundance of rabbits. Perhaps that will bring the coyotes back. Maybe the one I saw yesterday is a harbinger of things to come.

And if coyotes come, can road runners be far behind?

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

A shortage of roadrunners usually means there's a shortage of snakes and lizards. (Come to think of it, I haven't seen a roadrunner on my side of town in several years.)

--------------------
~Tortuf

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

I've never seen a snake in our community, but we have lots of those little lizards.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  12  13  14 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016