homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » The U.S.S. USA-- Boldly going forward, 'cause we can't find reverse! (Page 7)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  12  13  14 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The U.S.S. USA-- Boldly going forward, 'cause we can't find reverse!
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
... a shortage of snakes ...

I don't think such a thing exists - one snake is one too many. [Eek!]

Some blithering idiot introduced coyotes to Newfoundland a while back with the idea that they'd keep down the moose population - which they didn't - all that happened was that they ate the few sheep that were farmed on the island.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
I was having breakfast on the porch this morning and what should come trotting through the courtyard but . . . a coyote! First one I've seen in a long time.

He glanced at me briefly and paused a moment, and then kept trotting on. I'm sure he realized that the rabbit that had just gone scampering through would make a tastier breakfast than I would.

He was probably eyeballing your breakfast. Easier prey.
[Big Grin]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If I thought he were partial to an onion-pepper-Swiss omelet with bacon, I would gladly have shared it with him. However, it was pretty much all gone by the time he trotted through, and I really do think he would have preferred the rabbit.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The coyote was there again this morning! This time he took one look at me and turned and ran. Miss Amanda has been known to have that effect on men first thing in the morning. (Sigh)

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Killing me] Miss Amanda! You are such a (handsome) card!

I'm the lizard whisperer around here. They are rescued and put back into places where they can actually find food, hopefully mosquitoes and such. I'm very proud to share that Daughter-Unit has the lizard catching gene, too. When co-workers scream, she goes to the rescue.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy Fourth, everyone! [Yipee] [Big Grin] [Yipee]

We had quite a neighborhood fireworks display last night. The rockets were almost professional quality, and the show went on for almost an hour! [Eek!]

I bet that cost some folks a goodly amount of moolah.

Stay safe, and have fun!

--------------------

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy Birthday USA!
Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wishing youse all a jolly Fourth of July! [Yipee]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you, pray for us!

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I do, quite often. [Smile]

--------------------

JB

Independent Thinker
# 1776

- Posted      Profile for JB   Email JB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
We had quite a neighborhood fireworks display last night.

So did we. The dog hid in the house.

--------------------
You live, you learn
You learn, you live

Posts: 2588 | From: Land of Enchantment | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Belated happy 4th, everyone! And Piglet, thanks for the prayers--we sure need 'em!

I watched some of "A Capitol Fourth" last night on PBS--fireworks, music, etc. Host John Stamos commented about something that "the only thing more patriotic would be to shoot apple pie out of a t-shirt cannon"!
[Snigger]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The first National Anthem of the United States. (Personally I find it a lot more singable.)

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This is such a great, cheery story. God, I miss him. And surely that's one of the cutest babies going!

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm just so pleased. My son tried to show mehow to dab (dance move) and then winced and said, "I dunno, when you do it it makes me feel cringe-y." RESULT!!!

--------------------

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

BC, that is indeed a lovely story - and what cracking pictures for Mrs. Jackinsky to show to her little girl when she's older.

[Smile]

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Did anyone happen to watch "The First 48" yesterday? I'm rather addicted to that show, and I enjoy it as a true documentary of police work. But what caught my eye last night were the fashion statements of the homicide department of Atlanta Police. Yowzah! Two male detectives wore suits with dress coats and very sharp fedoras (fedoras?!). One other male detective wore no fedora but wore a satin bow tie with his suit and a little matching bow on his lapel. And back in the office yet another male detective wore a woolen flat hat that matched his suit. A female detective also wore a fedora with her pant suit. And the lead detective wore an attractive pant suit with a short quilted jacket. She also happened to be beautiful enough to be the actress lead on a police procedural.

Seasons and seasons of this show watched and I have never noticed much what any cop has worn except for the poor things that wore suits and ties in the blazing summer. What's in the water cooler in Atlanta?

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, google is my friend. Those hats are an Atlanta tradition in homicide. When a detective solves their first homicide, their colleagues present them with a fedora and it's a sign of their esprit d'corps.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Anyone 'clipsing today? I got skyped from a Shippe in PA, where it's already started!

Have fun! [Yipee]

(I'm sure it must be the biggest, the best, the hugest American ecplipse ever, an eclipse so great, so formidable, like none other, making America dark again!)

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Outch! I must have been misinformed! Fake News!

Another Shippie is telling me it's only on 21 August. My apologies to all! [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

Wesley J, I thought your Skype was maybe a very special version! [Smile]

Last week, I took my Granddaughter to visit my sister and brother-in-law. She was able to do something she's never done before in her eleven and a half years; she caught lightning bugs!! She had hoped to see them for the first time, and was thrilled to find out that they don't hurt us at all, and that she was encouraged to catch some!

What a great way for us adults to feel like kids again. [Yipee]

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wesley--

quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
Anyone 'clipsing today? I got skyped from a Shippe in PA, where it's already started

Does your friend happen to wear a long, striped scarf? And travel in a noisy, blue box that has a light on top? That would explain the confusion.

And it would also mean that the Doctor--particularly the 4th--is a Shipmate!
[Yipee]

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Today the arborists started taking down my beautiful old maple tree, which is dying. It was planted in 1948 as a Girl Scout project by a girl living in the house at the time. The trunk is more than three feet in diameter.

Aside from being a beautiful tree, my deck is built around it with benches. It has provided shade as well as beauty. The arborist proposes to cut the trunk about four feet above the level of the benches, which means the benches won't surround a hole.

I couldn't stand to watch the whole process, but I looked out every now and then. It was like a slow-motion funeral. They cut down and took away all but the trunk and the biggest branches. Tomorrow they will bring in a crane to deal with the really heavy stuff. They will turn off my electricity and lower the wire to the ground so they can work.

I feel like I am losing an old friend.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

Moo, that is so sad. Trees seem to be such forever type blessings. I hope that after your old friend is gone, you'll see something otherwise hidden that will bring you joy.

--------------------

basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A friend of mine asked me to join her for a rally for health care, so yesterday we stood on the side of El Camino Real and waved signs and shouted.
Some guy with a cameraman in tow asked if he could talk to me, and I agreed.
I told him why I was there -- that my life basically depends on the health care my employer wouldn't be offering without the Obamacare requirement. That I was showing up for friends and relatives who are rowing similar boats.

This morning somebody told me that he thought I'd done a good job. He caught me on the local news.

That's my 30 seconds of local fame for the decade, then.

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm a little bummed I didn't hear about the August 21 eclipse in time to make plans to see it. But there will be another one in the US on April 8, 2024 -- nowhere near me, but I've marked my calendar and I'm going to go see it.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
For as long as I can remember, I've wanted to see a total eclipse of the sun.

Sadly, there's no way for me to afford to get there. It's probably an entry that will have to remain inscribed on my bucket list.

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We were able to get tickets and reservations by booking just a short drive outside of the totality. We'll have what would normally be only about a 30 min drive in our rental car to get to totality, but of course we're expecting far more due to traffic. My big concern is parking-- we're going to a relatively small town-- have they anticipated enough parking for all who will show up?

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

What town are you going to? We actually live IN totality, though just inside it. I didn't think we were going to have quite such an influx of people, given the huge path across the US!

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yowzers! I don't think I've ever seen this much rain fall at once, preceded by fierce wind. Apparently several storm systems just blew in and collided. Power outages are being reported throughout the Phoenix area, so I'm keeping fingers crossed. It's as if all the rain we didn't get in the first seven months of 2017 is being dumped on us right now. [Eek!]

I pray for those who are caught in this trying to drive home from work, since this started just about 5:00 (varying in different parts of the metro area). Some roads have been closed due to flooding, and driving has to be hellish. [Votive]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

I hope the weather is better today, Pigwidgeon. My dad and I were talking just yesterday about areas getting heavy rain that don't usually have that problem.

Once in Colorado Springs, my BFF and I were driving around town and there was a sudden rainstorm. The streets were raging rivers!!

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The storm (in my area, anyway) calmed down after about an hour. The only "damage" at my house was a plastic lawn chair that was blown halfway across my yard along with several cushions. My yard is surrounded by a wall, which I'm sure saved me from more things being blown around.

Other areas had it far worse. Thousands of people lost power. I've just seen a report of a tornado just south of Phoenix. And I had an email from the Zoo that they're closed today -- all the animals are fine, but a lot of trees were knocked over, and there was some damage to buildings. When I venture out later this morning, I'm curious to see what's out there.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

Yes, your side of town was hit especially hard, Pigwidgeon. I'm glad you're safe.

Here on the west side we barely had a sprinkle. Some wind, but nothing devastating. Just as well -- there are two very large pine trees in our courtyard, one of which leans precipitously. The homeowners' association intended to cut it down but decided it was too big even to try. They'll be sorrier if it falls on our roofs.

It does serve as a daytime roosting place for our owls, though, who come out at night and keep our courtyard rabbit-free. At least I hope it's rabbits they're eating -- I'd hate to think we have mice.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

Someone mailed a fake bomb to our denominational seminary here in town--Mr Lamb's alma mater. At least I suppose they mailed it--could have been carried in. Evacuation, bomb squad, hovering helicopter, the whole works.

Who hates Lutherans that much???

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Yipee] I just read a news article that the Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute in Virginia has hatched a Little Brown Kiwi egg, their 6th since 2012. [Overused] [Overused]

Well done! Little browns are not our most endangered kiwi, but they are seriously endangered. When it grows up it will be part of an international programme for endangered species.

I am so glad there is international co-operation, kiwi are such bad parents that it endangers their survival. Someone told me that one of the theories that Kiwi eggs are so big was to provide extra nourishment for the chicks, but I don't know whether that is accurate.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
Someone mailed a fake bomb to our denominational seminary here in town--Mr Lamb's alma mater. At least I suppose they mailed it--could have been carried in. Evacuation, bomb squad, hovering helicopter, the whole works.

Who hates Lutherans that much???

Earlier this year there was always a policeman at our Sunday services. He didn't come in, just hung out in front in full uniform, his gun on his hip, clearly on duty. He hasn't been there this month. I assume that our church received some threat or another (which they are not telling us about), credible enough that the local police decided it called for a little show of force.

--------------------

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] for safety in time of threats, extreme rain, and all circumstances.

Intruding here sorry to express amazement at this. How could I not know about these Puebloans structures? [well, quite easily it appears].

My friend in the US may have me dropping by one day soon. They look amazing.

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

I highly recommend that you explore these amazing structures, Ian Climacus! I was privileged to see some Anasazi dwellings in New Mexico with MoBo and JB and my BFF a few years ago. They are truly awe inspiring! How many of our typical homes will still be in existence seven or eight centuries from now?

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

And if you're going to the American Southwest, do visit the Meteor Crater. It's just amazing.

If you have the foresight and time to plan ahead, you can book one of the park cabins on the north rim of the Grand Canyon. These are snapped up in a heartbeat, and the online registrations open the first business day in January. I was prompt enough (the year we were driving across the US) to nip in and grab the very nearest cabin. You could stand on the front porch and spit over the rail, one mile down into the Grand Canyon. Just amazing, and very cheap because it's run by the Park Service.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

Also, if you visit Arizona, please let us know so that we can plan a Shipmeet!

(But please don't spit in our Grand Canyon [Razz] )

--------------------
~Tortuf

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you all. This sort of history just amazes me.

I actually did stay in the Grand Canyon in December 2007...though I was not in the nearest-to-the-edge cabin and could not spit over the side. [Razz] But it was magical all the same. Stupid me had no idea before I booked that it would have snow...I'd just pictured hot desert. It was stunning.

I'd love to come back. I'll let you all know should it work out.

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

In view of all the tsouris that is overwhelming the US this summer, this is cheering in a schaudenfrreud-y way. You will recall that entrepreneur Martin Shkreli is being tried for price fixing, in this case the jacking up of the prices of essential drugs. So they are trying to empanel a jury, and it's difficult when you're so despicable. But Americans really are fans of fairness.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ian Climacus:
Thank you all. This sort of history just amazes me.

I actually did stay in the Grand Canyon in December 2007...though I was not in the nearest-to-the-edge cabin and could not spit over the side. [Razz] But it was magical all the same. Stupid me had no idea before I booked that it would have snow...I'd just pictured hot desert. It was stunning.

I'd love to come back. I'll let you all know should it work out.

When we visited the Grand Canyon we went on a horseback ride, along the edge. It was amazing!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

We took the mule ride, which goes halfway-down and then back up to the North Rim. Quite professionally run, and the mules are smarter than we are. But on my trip the mule ahead of me stumbled slightly, and its rider fell off. =Luckily= he fell inwards, and not over the cliff, which was a straight drop of many hundreds of feet! But he hit his head on the rock and there was much turmoil and excitement (on a trail 24 inches wide) until everything could be properly organized to get him back to civilization.

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
.... Okaaaaay, translation needed: ... I've sort of worked out "doubling down", and "push back" I think is straightforward, but what is "lighting into"? As in " the opponents of Sen. Luther Strange are lighting into Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell"?

I read WaPo voraciously these days, but holy chrysanthemum some of it is a foreign language! And that's after I've stopped bitching about the US journalese "Soandso said Thursday" which my mind these days automatically translates into English but which still riles.

Love y'all though. After all you produced His Bobness and The Dixie Chicks. [Axe murder]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

'Lighting into' might translate as 'making an attack upon'. I believe Mark Twain uses it: Aunt Polly lit into Tom and tanned his jacket for him.

--------------------

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In case a little more clarity would help, doubling down in blackjack is when you look at your initial hand, double your original bet, and then have just one card dealt to you. So metaphorically you are strongly renewing your investment in your position when you double down - when Trump came back with support for white supremacists on Tuesday he was doubling down.

To light into someone is to attack them, usually verbally. It's from "light" in the sense of "land" or "alight," so to light into someone is to come down hard on them.

"Soandso said Thursday" bugs me too. It used to be "Soandso said on Thursday" but I guess someone in charge of a stylebook somewhere decided it was wordy.

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ah! Ta!

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Eclipse watching plans, anyone?

We live three hours drive from the zone of totality, and from what we have heard, a total eclipse is worth making the effort. So we are headed out before dawn, in hopes of being in the small town of Arthur, Nebraska (Pop. 117) with a few hours to spare. Bringing our camp chairs, a sun shade, books, snacks, lots of water, and eclipse glasses.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

I think I'll watch online. Saw an eclipse or two when I was growing up, and I don't really want to go through all the fuss of improvising a pinhole camera, aligning it *away* from the sun, then turning *towards* the sun while looking only at the ground. (Per instructions I read, but PLEASE look up instructions for yourself!!! I'm neither a doctor nor an astronomer.)

*Not* to put anyone else off! The one cool metod I saw on TV was to use a colander (metal strainer with holes all over, like you might use for pasta). Because of all those holes, you get lots of little suns on the ground!
[Cool]

BTW, the front page of NPR.org currently has several links about the eclipse, including theme music and how to safely watch the eclipse.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  12  13  14 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016