homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » The U.S.S. USA-- Boldly going forward, 'cause we can't find reverse! (Page 8)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The U.S.S. USA-- Boldly going forward, 'cause we can't find reverse!
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I read that you can use a binoculars -- just aim the eyepiece side at the paper, and the sun will be projected on the paper at whatever shape it is at the mo. That's what I'm giong to try. If that doesn't work, I'll use the colander.

Back in the mid 90s there was a very partial eclipse. I was working in an office with the 1" blinds that had all the little holes in it. There were a hundred(ish) little suns on my desk, each one with a little bite taken out of it!

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That sounds amazing mousethief.

Very envious of those experiencing total, or partial, eclipse. I'm always tempted to book an eclipse trip, but like the Northern Lights I think it's probably not wise to set one's sights too much on one phenomenon in case inclement weather intervenes.

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I would say that the Northern Lights are probably worth the effort. I had one trip shared with our total eclipse (which we saw, but might not have done), and another with Hurtigruten, who run with a guarantee, promising a free voyage if you don't get to see the Aurora. There were two land based opportunities on the eclipse voyage, one good, one not, but several very good nights on the Hurtigruten run, from on board.
Not advertising, but I intend to go again.

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We were at our local Chinese buffet yesterday and one of our waitresses told us excitedly about the eclipse coming and my husband just thought to say, "You know you shouldn't look straight at it don't you?" and she was completely surprised to hear that!

We tend to think everyone knows, but our friends who don't watch TV because it's not their first language might not have heard. Now, I think we might have to go to our Mexican restaurant for lunch just to make sure they know.

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
"Never stare at the sun, even during an eclipse" was drilled into us at school.

This will date me, but who remembers the very early TV sitcom "Mr. Peepers," starring Wally Cox as a nerdy sort of schoolteacher? I remember an episode where the science teacher is preparing smoked glass for use in looking at the sun during an upcoming eclipse.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yep, had to explain to a Vietnamese family that ordinary sunglasses wouldn't work, let alone the "look quick and hope you didn't look too long."

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Weirdly -to me- CNN has posted that when the eclipse is in totality, with no part of the sun's disk showing, it is safe to look. When I was in school we were told that the radiation of the corona was just as dangerous as the disk's. Now the drill is to track the progress with a pin-hole device. When the sun completely disappears, look. The moment a bit reappears, stop looking.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
I read that you can use a binoculars -- just aim the eyepiece side at the paper, and the sun will be projected on the paper at whatever shape it is at the mo. That's what I'm giong to try. If that doesn't work, I'll use the colander.

Yes, binoculars will work, but please be careful:

1. Don't leave them unguarded on a tripod. Some small child will come over and look at the sun through them.

2. Don't leave the binoculars pointing at the sun all the time - they will heat up inside, and you may well melt plastic lens mounts or something. Doing a few minutes at a time should be fine.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Since I'm not in an area of totality and I didn't get off my rear to get eclipse glasses, I'm looking forward to seeing a variation on the pinhole which I saw forty years ago. I'll get under a leafy tree and look at the dappled sunlight on the sidewalk. I hope to see multitudes of little eclipses between the leaf shadows. Awesome! [Yipee]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
One of my astronomer friends gave some of us some eclipse viewing glasses, so I'm going to watch the progress of the event off and on this afternoon! I think we have 78% coverage of the sun here. Some of my friends have traveled to the PoT, which was the plan I had made over two years ago...but sometimes God laughs at my plans!!

Enjoy, everyone! But be safe! Protect your eyes! (I am such a Mama.)

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
Since I'm not in an area of totality and I didn't get off my rear to get eclipse glasses, I'm looking forward to seeing a variation on the pinhole which I saw forty years ago. I'll get under a leafy tree and look at the dappled sunlight on the sidewalk. I hope to see multitudes of little eclipses between the leaf shadows. Awesome! [Yipee]

Did it! Got some modest photos. [Cool]

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I also hear that a local drive-through coffee chain called Dutch Bros. recalled the glasses they had distributed to customers as being not the genuine article and hence unsafe. It was bound to happen.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
I also hear that a local drive-through coffee chain called Dutch Bros. recalled the glasses they had distributed to customers as being not the genuine article and hence unsafe. It was bound to happen.

Capitalism. Fucking up people's bodies since the 16th century.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Partly cloudy here -- we are darting outside every now and then in the clear moments, to see how the dragon is getting on with eating the sun.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I recall the total eclipse we had in the UK some years ago, especially the weirdly 'thin' quality of the light, and the complete cessation of birdsong (they knew about the dragon, I'm sure).

Is it the same with you, O Americans?

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes, Bishop's Finger, we just had our partial eclipse in southern Ohio and the cessation of birdsong was the main thing I noticed.
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I wonder if the eerie quality of the light is a feature only of a total eclipse? I found it quite disturbing, as did many of my colleagues at the time.

[Ultra confused]

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In my area we are at about 80% totality. It is like a cloudy day, only there are no clouds. Alas, in this office park there aren't many birds. I was unable to persuade my cell phone to take good pictures, but if you look at the shadows of the leaves on the ground every circle is now a crescent, a charming effect.

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
I wonder if the eerie quality of the light is a feature only of a total eclipse? I found it quite disturbing, as did many of my colleagues at the time.

I've always noted that even during partial eclipses.

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

BBC reports that your Presiding Genius looked directly at the Sun with unprotected eyes.

I hope no other Americans were so foolish.

[Disappointed]

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-us-canada-41003929/solar-eclipse-2017-donald-trump-looks-directly-at-the-sun

IJ

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It could hardly make him any blinder than he is, could it?

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, we've had ours. I wrote this up when we came back inside.

The eclipse began a bit before 11, but there was no change in the brightness of the day or the way the sun looked to the naked eye. I went to go buy lunch from the Bread Co. and used my glasses in line. The sun was about a quarter covered. I told the guy at the window so, and he stretched his head out the window and tried to look (no glasses). Fortunately for him, he couldn’t see.
With the eclipse glasses I could see the sun’s reflection the glass and chrome of the cars in line. They showed the sun’s reflection—like a cookie with a bite out of it in the upper right quadrant.

I came back to work, parked, and got my chair out. The tree by the front door was casting leaf shadows on the parking-lot—every one a crescent. Several people remarked on it.

We settled on the front lawn, waiting for totality. A lot of people were taking selfies and chattering. On the highway we began to see cars and trucks with their lights turned on, though it was still no darker than a day with a chance of rain.

The sun still looked normal to the naked eye. But through the eclipse glasses, I could see it was down to 90% eaten, with the red-orange glowing crescent to the lefthand side. I settled in my chair, ate my ice bomb pop, and watched. It was hot, about 90 degrees.

The crescent grew thinner. It was barely there. The cicadas began humming like crazy. Perhaps they thought it was sunset? Then they began to shut down. Totality began.

The sun disappeared behind the moon with a lovely diamond ring effect, the diamong glowing in the exact center of the left-pointing crescent no longer there. A quick glimpse with naked eye—the sun resembled a lovely thin firework, silvery and fountaining. I looked away for a second, and it was totality.

At totality the sky was a deep lovely blue, not black, and reminded me of a Christmas star’s background. The light of the sun flared out around the black disk, and we could see it without eclipse glasses. It looked to me like an ornament shining from a dark blue ceiling, a Christmas star, a white light hidden behind a black metal holder.

It was over in seconds. The diamond appeared again, this time glowing from the upper right hand quadrant of the black covering disk, and quickly we had a tiny crescent again (only to be seen through the eclipse glasses). There were scattered cries of “Yay, God.” It was hot and muggy, and we began packing up to go back inside. On the way we noticed the tree leaf shadows were all in the form of crescents again. They were upside down from the direction the sun’s crescent appeared to be.

Addendum:

Some doofus called me just at totality from California and insisted on nattering away even though I told him what was going on. Got rid of him a quickly as possible. No, I don't want to yak yak now, goofball. IT'S TOTALITY!

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Beautifully portrayed, Lamb Chopped. Yes indeed, quite a spectacle...

[Overused]

I really can't describe the thinness, or perhaps dilution, of the light when I saw our eclipse (can't recall how many years ago), but it was spooky.

IJ

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The eclipse here was 90% total. I could have gone with my daughter and her family to South Carolina to experience totality, but I decided the heat would be too much for me.

I saw a total eclipse in Canada in 1964. We didn't have special viewing glasses; we had camera film that had been exposed to direct sunlight for five minutes and then developed.

At the time of totality it is safe to look without protection; if there are any sunbeams at all, it's dangerous. (If it weren't safe to look at the sun during totality, I would have suffered eye damage, and I didn't.)

In Canada we were in a large field with no one else nearby except some Boy Scouts who were more than fifty yards away. The lack of other people meant we could hear the insects and birds getting quieter. The warmth of the sun was reduced. It was as if nature were staging a production.

This is the only time I can recall seeing Mercury.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Indeed. Definitely a theatrical feel to the event.

Good to hear the eclipse was enjoyed so much across the US of A. Y'all deserve a treat!

IJ

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Here is assuredly one of the best photographs taken today. From the height in the sky and the spiky trees I should judge this was taken in Oregon.

--------------------

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Left the house at 3 this morning, drove through thick fog for the last hour to Ogallala. Quick breakfast, then up a state highway past Arthur, until we found a random rest area with a picnic table and rustic wooden outhouse (complete with old phone book for when the TP runs out). Still overcast at 8:00. Spent the next three hours reading, making friends with the other folks there, and hoping that the clouds would clear.

Indeed, they started to clear 15 minutes before the event. Long build up before the light started to fade, the wind started to blow, and the temperature noticibly dropped. The closest thing I could compare it to would be a sudden severe storm- my Midwestern instincts told me to watch out for hail or a tornado.

Totallity lasted 2 & 1/2 minutes. Amazing. Wonderous. Almost like night, except for a pink ring all across the horizon. A few bats came out. And then, it was bright again.

Traffic on the return was expected to be horrible, but we were fine. Lots of cars, but we still averaged 80MPH before getting closer to Denver.

Honestly, this was one of the coolest things I have ever witnessed. Absolutely worth the early morning and 8+ hours in the car.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
BBC reports that your Presiding Genius looked directly at the Sun with unprotected eyes.

A friend posted that photo on facebook. My comment was that he'll have got away with it, and will come out talking about how stupid the scientists were.

If you haven't read Annie Dillard's wonderful essay about seeing a total eclipse, The Atlantic has it online. They say it'll be up for another day.

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you Basso for that link. Amazing writing.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sounds brilliant

Bishops Finger, the eclipse across the south of England was in 1999, and we had cloud free skies, unlike Cornwall where people had gone to see totality.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I bought a bunch of eclipse glasses several weeks ago and gave all but one pair away this morning -- as I figured they would, once people saw me going out to look at the eclipse, they wanted to see it as well. We only had about 70% totality, so it didn't get noticeably darker, but it was still cool to see. All the little crescents under the trees were very nifty.

One way or another, I want to travel to the path of totality for the 2024 eclipse. I'm old enough that it will be my last good chance.

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
One way or another, I want to travel to the path of totality for the 2024 eclipse. I'm old enough that it will be my last good chance.

This sounds like a great idea for a Shipmeet.
[Smile]

(I was on my way to, and then inside, the airport, so I missed the whole thing except seeing images on the internet last night.)

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Does anyone know the path of the 2024 eclipse? I'm not sure whether I'll be around then.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

The astronomy people already are distributing info: Here's the 2024 map.
Also, they're collecting your old eclipse glasses. The next eclipse is in Africa somewhere, and they're going to give them to kids there. So don't throw them away!

--------------------

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Had a pair of eclipse glasses, sat with a friend in a park and watched. Shared the glasses with a few people who came by, all in all a good time was had. About 70% here, pretty impressive at the max.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
Also, they're collecting your old eclipse glasses. The next eclipse is in Africa somewhere, and they're going to give them to kids there. So don't throw them away!

Don't these things degrade over time? Are the paper ones designed for multiple uses and long-distance shipment? Wouldn't it be less expensive to just make new ones in South America rather than collect, store, and ship old ones from North America for the event?

This just sounds like a "great idea" that someone came up with yesterday morning, and which got posted to the internet and shared all over before anyone could really think about the logistics.

Don't get me wrong, it's coming from a great place. But I'll probably be pealing the plastic off of my paper specs, putting it in the trash, and then throwing the paper bits in the recycling.

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I hope no one objects to a random comment from across the Pond. But, the combination of recent news and this thread title was irresistible.

The U.S.S. USA - boldly going nowhere, 'cause it hit an oil tanker.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Don't know, I have an Astronomer friend who's collecting them. I'll ask her.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Brenda, thanks for the 2024 map. It looks like Fredericton will be in the totality zone!

[Yipee]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Start preparing your guest room now!

--------------------

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks for the wonderful descriptions and links; a treat and joy to read.

I will travel for the next one.

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Here's a twitter post from the people who are collecting old eclipse glasses for re-use. Posted by my friend the astronomy professor.

--------------------

jedijudy

# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
I hope no one objects to a random comment from across the Pond. But, the combination of recent news and this thread title was irresistible.

The U.S.S. USA - boldly going nowhere, 'cause it hit an oil tanker.

Hahaha! So that's what that orange person is! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
Here's a twitter post from the people who are collecting old eclipse glasses for re-use. Posted by my friend the astronomy professor.

Our local science museum is apparently accepting donations, so maybe there's more to the idea than I am giving them credit for.

--------------------

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

Harvey looks rather worrying.

Stay safe, any shipmates in his path.

jedijudy

# 333

Amen. iGeek is hoping his power doesn't go out. I know there will be other Shipmates affected by the storm. Praying for the millions of folks who are watching that monster bear down on them. [Votive]

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Because of the storm the Washington POST is free for the duration.

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Praying for those in the path of Harvey. [Votive]

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ian Climacus:
Harvey looks rather worrying.

Stay safe, any shipmates in his path.

Ditto. [Votive]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
rugasaw and PataLeBon lived in Houston (and may well still do so). They used to be active on the Ship. Does anyone keep in touch with them?

Prayers for everyone there.

[Votive]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016