homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » The U.S.S. USA-- Boldly going forward, 'cause we can't find reverse! (Page 9)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The U.S.S. USA-- Boldly going forward, 'cause we can't find reverse!
Ye Olde Motherboarde
Ship's Mother and Singing Quilter
# 54

- Posted      Profile for Ye Olde Motherboarde   Email Ye Olde Motherboarde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hope they and their families are safe. Also Belle Ringer.
Posts: 4292 | From: Looking for more trouble to get into | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] for anyone in the path of the hurricane - it seems to have been a real humdinger.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
...it seems to have been a real humdinger.

Unfortunately, it still is. It will likely still be causing problems until perhaps Wednesday. [Frown] [Votive]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This is the latest update, as of Sunday evening. They're not looking for the rain to stop until much later in the week.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My daughter and her family live in Hutto, which is northeast of Austin. Their house is on high ground, so they're probably okay.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The news updates are terrible. So much water in Houston, and I read of a town South whose water supply is out.

[Votive]

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A friend of mine, an ex-military fellow, has created the ultimate packing lists for emergency kits. There are different flavors for your possible need. But if you have a chance to prepare such a bag for yourself, you're in a strong position when the water begins to rise.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My friend is visiting her friend in Houston, who lives near the centre of town. They saw the forecast and left on Saturday to stay with a cousin in Huntsville, about 70 miles away. She was meant to be there for three weeks but I don't think she'll be going back to Houston, I imagine she'll have to fly home from elsewhere.

I hope her friend took all her valuables with her, luckily her house, tho a bungalow and very likely to be flooded, is rented.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

This is a free click and a fascinating set of images: Before and after photos of Houston. Some of these have a sliding feature so you can toggle back and forth between two images of the same location.

[ 28. August 2017, 23:59: Message edited by: Brenda Clough ]

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Oops, sorry: the Washington Post put its paywall back up.

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, I still got access to the images - thanks for the link, Brenda.

What can one say? Horrific, indeed, and the effect on the lives of many ordinary people must be absolutely awful.

[Votive]

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I checked the weather site for Austin. They had over five inches on Saturday and two and a half on Sunday. That's an unusual amount of rain, but nothing to worry about unless you live on a flood plain, which my daughter doesn't

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

The New York Times has all of its flood coverage outside the paywall, so you can read it for free. Some truly heartrending accounts there, plus a piece about where to (safely) donate for the victims.

[ 31. August 2017, 13:53: Message edited by: Brenda Clough ]

--------------------

Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ash on the car this morning from the Eagle Creek fire burning through the Columbia Gorge National Scenic Area. Interstate 84 is closed, and the fire even managed to jump the Columbia River into Washington State.

We'll see how long the high tech facilities in the Silicon Forest can hold out before air filters get plugged with ash. At least it isn't volcanic ash that we have to deal with...

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The largest Atlantic hurricane ever recorded, Irma, is tearing through the Caribbean this morning on its way to Florida.

Jedijudy (and other FL shipmates), batten down the hatches and stay safe!

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mamacita, could you post some names of Shipmates from there, please? I was trying to think of some last night. I know jedijudy. Is Janine there too?

I imagine they may be caught up in preparations so would not expect them to be posting themselves.

Thanks.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

AFAIK Janine is in Louisiana. I remember her posts about Katrina.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks. I was not sure.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

jedijudy

# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
These are the Floridians I know about:
Grammatica in about the center of the state,
ChastMastr and Quaker Cub on the middle west coast,
MaryFL near the same as CM and QC,
and Siegfried in north Florida.

The other south FL girls, Zandolit and Flausa, have gone to homes with far fewer chances of hurricanes!

Of course, Erin would have been giving us a colorful blow by blow of this storm. I really miss her, as so many of us do.

If there are other Floridians, I hope they'll post so we can keep track of each other!!!

--------------------

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

I really appreciate your concern for us here. I have friends and family all over the state, and we're trying to stay in touch with each other.

I have friends and family and four cats coming to my home Saturday. Daughter-Unit and her hubby, and two friends who are closer to the river. (One lives in a fifty year old trailer.) I have a generator and fifteen gallons of gas, a gas grill with 1 3/4 tanks of LP, over nine gallons of water, canned food and other non-perishables, and cleaning stuff. Dad and my BFF are putting my plywood on the windows Saturday morning. (I can't, as I just had surgery and can't lift more than 8 pounds.)

I am trying to convince Mom and Dad to stay the night with me Saturday. They live less than a mile from me, but are closer to the river. Mom has nine cats she doesn't want to leave.

Some folks from here have already bugged out. Most of us are hunkering down, partly because we want to be able to clean up as soon as possible, and partly because parts of I-75 and I-95 are backed up and there's not a lot of gas available anywhere.

I started getting my water on Saturday, and gas on Tuesday, so there were still available supplies. Now, it's not as easy. Most of the water has been gone from shelves since Tuesday.

This is not going to be fun for any of us. The storm is bigger than the state of Florida, so it doesn't matter where it makes landfall, we all have a storm to some degree. [Frown]

[ETA kitties]

[ 07. September 2017, 18:33: Message edited by: jedijudy ]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It does look scary - prayers continuing to ascend for JJ and all the other Floridian Shippies.

Couldn't it just hit Trump's mansion and leave the rest of you alone? [Devil]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Thanks for the list of Shipmates, judy.

Medications if needed are another thing to be checked.

[Votive]

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
{{{{{all affected}}}}}

{{{{{Irma, please calm down!}}}}}

Heard on the news that some folks are still down in the Keys, because they're afraid that, if they leave, they'll wind up right in the middle of the storm. (Evidently, just one road in and out. I'm guessing it's that one that's raised over the water.)

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

That's correct, Golden Key. One fender bender on that highway can cause massive problems. I believe it's 120 miles long.

This evening, I had the nicest phone call from one of my cousins in PA. She said she would pay for airline tickets for my family to go up to stay with her! I know the airports will only have flights for a few hours tomorrow. I'll talk to my parents and Daughter-Unit, but I'm pretty sure I know what they'll say.

But isn't that sweet of my cuz? [Big Grin]

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
ms. jedi--

Wow, re road (/highway?). I've occasionally seen it on TV; and the thought of riding down that thing, 1 lane each direction, only water on either side, and nowhere to stop or turn around...

I [Ultra confused] every time I see it. And that's without a hurricane.

[Votive]

And yes, your cousin sounds awesome. Wishing you whatever's best re deciding to take her up on her offer.

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Keep safe all. Reading about Irma and her expected impact on the US now. Shocking.

[Votive]

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

I have heard that the highest point of land in the Keys is lower than the expected height of the storm surge. If that is true, the situation looks dire for anyone who stays there.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

jedijudy

# 333

I'm pretty sure almost everyone has left, or is leaving the keys. We also have mandatory evacuations for the barrier islands and low-lying areas here and around Lake Okeechobee. There are also mandatory evacuations for folks living in mobile homes and houses not built on concrete slabs.

I called Daughter-Unit about my cousin's offer last night, and as we talked, she looked up the flight possibilities. There are none.

I'm feeling pretty confident in my preparations, but do have a go bag ready if we end up being evacuated. I still have some things to do, mostly in order to make my co-hunkerers feel as comfortable as possible! Tomorrow, I'm making a pot of black bean soup and rice (mmmm, good!) so nobody has to worry about bringing something to eat.

The good news this morning was that Irma is down to a Cat 4!! Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick!

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

That's interesting, Judy. Another big pond difference. Down here the saying is Better than a poke in the eye with a blunt stick.

In all seriousness however, I hope all goes well for you and the impact on all. [Votive]

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

I just came across a first-person account by someone who despatched help to the stranded during Harvey.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

jedijudy

# 333

Here's the latest info from my deck of the Ship; Irma may become a cat 5 again. It's just under a 5 right now.

It sounds like Sunday will be pretty rough. Wind will be sustained about 85 mph, with gusts up to 135. Storm surge is looking worse. The county south of me may have storm surge of more than nine feet. I may have three+ feet on the street. Hoping that my elevation will keep it out of the house.

The gov. said that anyone who wants to evacuate needs to do so by midnight. After that you run into the problem of winds closing bridges and making unsafe traveling conditions. Bridges close and emergency personnel take shelter when the wind gets to 40 mph.

Yes, I'm a bit worried. [Frown]

--------------------

Salicional
Shipmate
# 16461

- Posted      Profile for Salicional   Email Salicional   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'll be sending up prayers for all those in the path of this monster storm. I hope those of you down south are able to keep us updated.
Posts: 68 | From: near Lake Erie | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

[Votive]

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And from me.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

Here's the Saturday update. We are in our 'cave'. The plywood is up. My daughter and s-i-l and two friends (and four cats) are here with me. We have lots of food and water, and the neighbor who bugged out this morning gave us a case of water bottles...very nice of them!

*sigh*

We've already had a tornado warning. Winds are picking up. Our storm surge possibilities have increased, and in fact, we just were placed under a mandatory evacuation. The bad thing is that there aren't a lot of shelters. My friend who lives in an old mobile home and her neighbors were told to go to the local high school, which is not actually opened as a shelter. [Eek!] For those that want to head north, there still isn't very much gas available, plus the bridges will all close when the wind gets to 40 mph, which won't be much later today. So, calling for evacuation so late in the game is not helpful.

Please pray for my parents. They won't come here, and they have no protection on their windows. We have offered very strongly to help them become more secure, and have repeatedly begged them to come to my home. They won't even consider blocking the windows on the inside until tomorrow morning. I almost feel like they want to die. [Waterworks]

Please keep praying. We all need them. [Votive]

--------------------

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] Judy, you have my prayers for all concerned. (How could they wait so long to put you under mandatory evacuation?)

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

[Votive] [Votive] fo all affected by Irma but especially for Judy and her parents.

--------------------

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] for everyone affected, especially jj and family
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] ditto
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Was the change to mandatory evacuation because Irma has changed course slightly? Definitely praying for you all.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

[Votive]
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Checking in to check on Judy. [Frown] Good God.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This was in our news feed this morning. It is mind boggling to have to think about being in the fall out from three weather disasters in a row.

May y'all have angels at your elbows when you most need them.
Sigh.

BL.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

[Votive] for JJ and all others bracing themselves, and an extra [Votive] for JJ's mum and dad.

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have been unable to get in touch with my friend who lives in San Juan, Puerto Rico. I last spoke with him a week ago, when he said he was thus far completely unprepared for the storm. Tuesday night he left me voice mail saying that we'd probably speak again in the next life. I've called him every night since then -- his phone rings, voice mail picks up, but he hasn't called back. I'll keey trying -- it's all I can do.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ah, the power of posting. No sooner did I post when the phone rang. He's fine. In fact, he quoted Shakespeare: "Much Ado About Nothing."

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
Ah, the power of posting. No sooner did I post when the phone rang. He's fine. In fact, he quoted Shakespeare: "Much Ado About Nothing."

Well, that's a relief.

I hope Judy will have electrical power and connections to post! [Votive]

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sunday morning and it's not looking at all good for Florida's west coast or south Georgia. Where exactly is Judy?
[Votive]

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016