homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » The annual Absent Friends meet

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: The annual Absent Friends meet
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It has become our custom to meet at the start of the year to raise a glass or seven in memory of our Shipmates who have passed to glory, but especially our London Shippies Gambit , the king of the shipmeets, and ken , one of the Ship's most prolific posters ever.

The usual venue is The Jugged Hare near Victoria station in London, the venue of the last shipmeet that Gambit organised.

I suggest the evening of Saturday 28th January. All are welcome. Even if you've never been to a shipmeet before or you never had the pleasure of meeting Gambit or ken, come along.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12817 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
starbelly
but you can call me Neil
# 25

- Posted      Profile for starbelly   Author's homepage   Email starbelly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I will put it in my diary!
Posts: 6006 | From: High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm in.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 29705 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm afraid we're out. With Southern Region, it's bad enough getting into London for work* let alone at weekends.

Sorry.

M.

*and worse getting home

Posts: 2211 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anybody else?

--------------------

Posts: 12817 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Probably - depending on tubes - and I think I've texted Yangtze

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13287 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am actually in London that weekend for my yearly visit ... but we have theatre tickets that evening, what time are you meeting?

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4389 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm in.

Gracious Rebel - what time could you meet? Then we could set the start time to fit in with that. (Well, prob not lunch time, but if you could do early evening that should work.)

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2017 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

Or come along after the theatre. We're usually there until closing time

--------------------

Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I should be there.

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12590 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well the theatre starts at 7.30, so I guess I could come along about 6pm for a short while (my other half is not interested in attending a Shipmeet, so would go shopping or something while I was there). If this is too early for others no worries, I will meet up another time. But as the last time I met with you people was at Ken's funeral it would be fitting to come along on this occasion if I could.

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah crap - I've got a diary clash on the 28th. Will anyone be significantly disadvantaged if we put the meet back a week, or will I have to miss it again? [Frown]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 29705 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

please don't keep it on 28th just on my account, as I wasn't entirely sure if I could get there anyway and it wouldn't have been for long!

--------------------

starbelly
but you can call me Neil
# 25

- Posted      Profile for starbelly   Author's homepage   Email starbelly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes that's fine for me if you need to change it

[ 11. January 2017, 13:21: Message edited by: starbelly ]

Posts: 6006 | From: High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just tell me where I have to be and when and I'll try and make it.

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

I can't do either weeken each side. Could do 11th Feb

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't do either weekend each side either, can do the 11th February, too

--------------------

Posts: 13287 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
starbelly
but you can call me Neil
# 25

Pick a date... I will come along if i am free!
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

Shall we go with 11th Feb then?

--------------------

Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't do 11th sorry.

--------------------

Posts: 2017 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

Don't change it just on my account if it will mean fewer people overall being able to get there.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

I think other people seem to be more flexible.

If you missed it last year then if one of us has to miss it this year then it should be me. i'm OK with that. (Though obv sad to miss you all.)

[ 17. January 2017, 23:13: Message edited by: Yangtze ]

--------------------

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

So which date shall we go with then?

--------------------

Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

Er, are we meeting tonight?

I rather assumed that you'd go for a date Marvin could do as he couldn't do last year's but thought I'd check!

--------------------

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

Not this evening. How about 11th or 18th?

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

I can only do the 11th February, I'm not around for the 18th, but if everyone else can make the 18th, go for it.

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

Shall we agree to meet next week then?

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

Sounds good to me.

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

Marvellous. I'll look at hotels.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
I'll look at hotels.

Not that I need somewhere to stay, it's just a hobby of mine.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

Hotel booked, so it's happening!

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Ah, so this is the moment to confess that when this thread was still dead on 4th February, I booked to go to something else on 11th February? Sorry.

--------------------

starbelly
but you can call me Neil
# 25

I also can't do this weekend, but have fun and have a drink for me!
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

I hate to say this, but should we give it a miss this year?

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

Please no. I'm all booked up and can't cancel without financial penalties.

Even if it's just us two, let's still have a few pints!

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Looks like it really will be an Absent Friends meet.

Toast them for me please Marvin (and Spike if you make it).

[ 10. February 2017, 22:48: Message edited by: Sioni Sais ]

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 23806 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yep, we're booked elsewhere too, sadly.

M.

Posts: 2211 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

Aiming to get there around 8

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
Aiming to get there around 8

Cool. See you then. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

Have one for me. The Tubblet is poorly. [Frown]

Tubbs

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
Originally posted by Tubbs:
Have one for me. The Tubblet is poorly. [Frown]

Tubbs

Surely that's what partners are for? [Biased]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

Well it was a small meet, but none the worse for that! I think all four of us enjoyed it, even if the conversation occasionally trended towards despair (Brexit and Trump have had that sort of effect!).

While more attendees would have been good, I'm glad we kept the tradition going. Long may it continue!

To absent friends. [Votive]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

A small but select gathering. We got turfed out of the Jugged Hare early, as they now close at 9pm on a Saturday for some bizarre reason, so we continued our merriment at the local Wetherspoon. It was great to see Rosamundi who says she might start posting again.

[ 12. February 2017, 07:30: Message edited by: Spike ]

--------------------

starbelly
but you can call me Neil
# 25

Glad the meet could happen, will endeavour to be there next year!
rosamundi

Ship's lacemaker
# 2495

- Posted      Profile for rosamundi   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It was great to see Rosamundi who says she might start posting again.

I suppose "leaving the religious order I was a lay member of for ten years" counts as sufficiently unrestful [Biased]

--------------------
Website.
Ship of Fools flickr group

Posts: 2379 | From: here or there | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
starbelly
but you can call me Neil
# 25

quote:
Originally posted by rosamundi:
quote:
It was great to see Rosamundi who says she might start posting again.

I suppose "leaving the religious order I was a lay member of for ten years" counts as sufficiently unrestful [Biased]
You should try going full on atheist, now that is quite unrestful [Biased]

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016