homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home

This thread has been moved to Glory.    
 - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Missing ken

Source: (consider it) Thread: Missing ken
Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The Facebook Memories feature blindsided me today, reminding me that ken died three years ago today.

When I was active on the Ship, ken was one of the most active posters. He was one of the few whose posts I would read on threads which otherwise held no interest. He was brilliant, witty, and sharp. If you disagreed with him, you needed to put your arguments on solid ground, because his counterarguments would be.

As with many Shipmates, I came to appreciate him even more once we became Facebook friends. The forum showed a softer, less edited side of a man whose insatiable curiosity continued unabated to the very end.

We never met in real life, but three years after his death his memory brings a lump to my throat and a tear to my eye.

We didn't share the same taste in beverages, but when I have my Friday ration of gin tonight I'll be thinking of the joy his mind gave me through the years and hoping he can still be raising his favorite pint.

The world sucks a lot more these last three years, ken.

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Organ Builder:
When I was active on the Ship, ken was one of the most active posters. He was one of the few whose posts I would read on threads which otherwise held no interest. He was brilliant, witty, and sharp. If you disagreed with him, you needed to put your arguments on solid ground, because his counterarguments would be.

Agreed.
I miss him every time there's a UK politics thread.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I hadn't realised it was three years to the day that he died. I was reminiscing about him to a work colleague this evening because the last time I was on the route we were travelling was visiting ken in hospital.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
R.I.P., Ken
[Votive]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

- Posted      Profile for welsh dragon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive]
Posts: 5352 | From: ebay | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive]

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ken was brilliant.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Indeed.

I wonder what his take would be on Brexit, Trump, BoJo the Clown etc.? Worth reading, I bet.

RIPARIG.

[Votive]

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Greatly missed. Due to various factors I have been spending less time on the Ship in the past couple of years ... and I am sure that one of the reasons is the lack of Ken's contributions - basically it just isn't the same without his wit and wisdom.
[Votive]

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ken became a good RL friend over the years and I was honoured to be invited to present him with his blue scarf when he was licensed as a Reader.

I still miss him [Votive]

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ah yes, a Blue-Scarfed Menace par excellence...

[Snigger]

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It couldn't have been 4 months before his death he posted on Facebook about attending an American Shaped-Note Singing meeting. He had never been before, found it fascinating, and wanted to go again.

I found his post interesting because I had not realized Sacred Harp societies existed outside of the US. We had quite a nice conversation on the subject, totally out of the blue. He didn't post on Facebook nearly as much as he posted on the Ship, but that was the sort of thing that made his updates a lot more interesting than those whose posts consist of one stale meme after another.

The internet is an odd thing. Before its existence I would have thought it pathological to consider someone an acquaintance or a friend without actually meeting them or corresponding for years. I think ken touched more lives than he realized.

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The mix of people at his funeral was amazing, they knew him through his many different interests: Labour party, computer groups, work, church, of the people I talked to, and I didn't talk to many, most had never met before.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
To me Towards a New Railway History of Middle Earth is ken at his best.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
busyknitter
Shipmate
# 2501

- Posted      Profile for busyknitter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
To me Towards a New Railway History of Middle Earth is ken at his best.

Mild Cheddar is my favorite, but I've just checked his old Rant of the Month page on Cix and it's gone......
Just so happens I'm seeing Persephone Hazard tomorrow, I'm fairly sure she archived his writing.

Anniversaries don't really jog me into remembrance. But I could be watching the news, trying to identify a flower, or listening to a 90 year old folk singer warbling about the precise Brighton suburb we lived in as kids....and ken isn't there to share it [Frown]

FWIW I don't think he'd have been the slightest bit amused by the current political situation.

Posts: 903 | From: The Wool Basket | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Three years. Goodness me. I really do miss him.

Ken on the subject of Bach makes me smile even when I just remember it. When I read the original, I still laugh out loud:
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
And why do foolish people say Bach is emotionless or mathematical? He's a screaming world of stuff compared to Mozart's mild-mannered slightly snooty uber-cool not-quite-frivolity.

Mozart's music so often says "aren't I clever? Isn't the Kaiser a nice bloke? Aren't we all rather clever together for liking Me? Would anyone like to commission a quartet? What are you doing after the party? Oh, no-one goes there anymore Darling! Yes, tedious, isn't it?"

On the other hand Bach's music typically says: "Glory to God in the Highest! And Peace to his people on Earth! And Worthy is the Lamb that was slain to receive glory and honour and power! And isn't creation wonderful! And there is all this stuff going on in my head! Talking of which I've been up all night and could do with a coffee. No, make that a beer. In fact I want a double coffee AND a pint of lager. And shoot that bloody piano player. AND WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO PAY ME YOU TIGHT SAXON BASTARDS????"

Trust me, its all in there somewhere.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

- Posted      Profile for Erroneous Monk   Email Erroneous Monk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I met Ken once for a pint. Which turned into about three pints each. He was great company. I remember him and miss him often.

--------------------
And I shot a man in Tesco, just to watch him die.

Posts: 2950 | From: I cannot tell you, for you are not a friar | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I met ken at a meet 9 or so years ago in London. Very fond memories of him. And of his posts.
Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
After consultation upstairs, I'm moving this thread to a permanent home in Glory.

Piglet, AS host

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016