homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Moving (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Moving
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hope the move went well, Pete. No sign of Australia being obliterated by flying planets down here, so hope they missed Canada too. I have moved three times in the last ten years but spent most of my life with only one move. It has been a shock to the system and I realised only a week or so ago that I was finally beginning to relax in what is my place.

Take things easy, accept help, be kind to yourself.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It would be my place, if only the staff here didn't have a master key to pop in at their convenience (which never seems to be mine). However, since it is Saturday, and I got up at 4am, I made a cup of tea and had some toast from my private stash (Breakfast is 3.5 hours away, then 4 hours till lunch, then 5 hours till dinner). I will say the kitchen is doing their best to accommodate my lactose intolerance and vegetarian diet, though, so far, there seems to be a preponderance of things drenched in tomato sauce. However, I bought some chili flakes yesterday, so the taste should improve a little. Still looking for a proper container for my garam masala.

Like BL's Mama, I have taken to wearing pink, because I know it irritates some people. Happily not (yet) my table.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Pete:
... I have taken to wearing pink, because I know it irritates some people ...

Not even in there a week, and already starting a revolution ...

Good on you! [Devil]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Glad you got there safely and have got back on-line. Hope you settle in really quickly and they think of other things than tomato-based sauces for you to ear.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We are still waiting for our house to sell. The last two who looked stayed for an hour, as we drove around out of sight. I had high hopes but alas no offer. We are lucky as we are retired and have no time frame when we need to move, but I would like to get on with it. Time to bury St. Joseph in the yard upside down I am thinking. [Big Grin]
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
*bump* to avoid any Hostly Hoovers

/tangent/

I had to get rid of my hoover, it was only gathering dust

/end of tangent/

In other news, the house that Master S and his Lovely Bride had set their heart on proved to be in need of a new roof and damp-proof course, for starters so they have to start again in their search *sigh*

Miss S and SiL have sold theirs, STC, at what seems an inordinate profit, and are now poised on the builders' doorstep, as it were, to put a deposit on their chosen home. Unfortunately there are others keen on it as well *sigh* so it is by no means a foregone conclusion - AND it would mean their moving twice *sigh*

And having cleaned, mowed and tidied till I am exhausted I am now awaiting a visit from a friend, an ex-estate agent, to advise us on what else we should do before getting a real live estate agent to come and value the place. Houses round here seem to be selling fast, so we are anxious not to miss the boat [Eek!]

Mrs. S, whose hoover has certainly been gathering dust!

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I foresee moving in a couple years, when my husband retires. Seeing the train coming down the track does allow for prep. To this end I am trying to get rid off the masses of stuff in my house. (A link to the Decluttering thread could go here except that I'm to lazy to put it in.)

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Luckily she sees no reason to do anything other than put a few photos away *phew*. In fact she described Chateau S as 'palatial', which only goes to prove that estate agents must see all sorts of old tat (with rabbits running round, in one case, according to my friend!)

Mrs. S, eschewing rabbits for the foreseeable future

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Pangolin Guerre
Shipmate
# 18686

- Posted      Profile for Pangolin Guerre   Email Pangolin Guerre   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This book on "Swedish death cleaning" might be of interest. web page

[fixed broken link - there was an extra "http:"]

Piglet, AS host

[ 31. October 2017, 23:53: Message edited by: Piglet ]

Posts: 758 | From: 30 arpents de neige | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pangolin, Piglet pointed out the extra http://. If you use the prompts for UBB code below the thread, there is already an hrttpl in the place for your URL to be pasted. Get rid of that and paste yours in. All should be well then.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well change of plans. We are not moving after all. The day we received an offer on our house ( much below what we were asking) Wildfires here in California ravaged the areas all around us. . We have decided to stay put, as there is now a housing shortage where we were planning to move. We were blessed as our house is fine and we were only on stand by not mandatory evacuation. I feel so sorry for all who have lost their homes, and businesses as well as family members.
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

Well, the opposite is true for us! We have instructed an estate agent, and I have told my vicar that my tenure as churchwarden may be shorter than he was anticipating!

The house has never looked so tidy and clear of clutter - I hope we've learned something from all the hundreds of houses we've 'viewed' over the interweb. Sadly you can't say the same for the garden, which - as it is autumn here - is now covered in wet leaves *sigh*

Mrs. S, who can't now find anything, because it has all been tidied away!

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good luck with that, Mrs. S.! [Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

Had our first viewing yesterday - embarrassingly, it may be someone we know (only embarrassing because not many people are aware of our intention, and I don't want them to find out via the back door, as it were).

No feedback yet *chews nails*

In other news, Master S's current house purchase seems to be going more smoothly than the first and they may yet BE IN FOR CHRISTMAS *prayers ascending* Not sure about Miss S's yet *more prayers*

Mrs. S, in a state of subdued panic [Help]

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When my mother in law sold her previous place there were quite a few viewings from people in the village she knew vaguely. Not because they were interested in moving but they were curious to see what the house was like. Hope you get a buyer pronto. Mrs S, found anywhere you'd like to move to?

We have emails about properties we'd might be interested in in the place we'd like to move to in a year or so. Every now and then one looks really tempting, but we haven't done anything about it yet.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a word for that in the US. Realtors call them 'looky-loos', people who are coming in to look (often from right around the neighborhood) with no intention to buy.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I wonder if they're called "looky-loos" because they want to see how clean (or otherwise) the bathroom is ...

I'll see myself out. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When the house next door to mine was on the market and had an open house, I went to see what the place was like inside. I explained what I was doing; the realtor seemed glad to see me because she was bored; there was no one else there at the time

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's not a bad thing to be a lookyloo next door. When we were scouting out houses for family who might have been relocating, of course we went looking in our own neighborhood. It would have been awesome to have relatives so handy.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

One estate agent offered to put our house details through the letterboxes of all our neighbours - I was horrified, though I can't explain quite why! And here, the Open House is not exactly that - it seems that potential viewers still have to make an appointment to view, so there is no overlap.

Had one viewing already and the details aren't even published!

Mrs. S, crossing her fingers

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

In my experience (on both sides of the Pond) estate agents tend to be very quick in getting the first few viewers - probably people on their books who are looking for what you're offering (x bedrooms, y bathrooms etc). After that it tends to drop off a bit unless you're in a very desirable area with a smoking hot market.

I don't want to rain on your parade though - I think we were just rather unlucky.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Auctions are popular down here. But there are also other ways of selling. The old idea of being shown through a house by an agent is almost gone here. Most places have several times advertised for inspections. Different days and times to suit different people. 30-45 minutes and the finished.

Depending on various factors very many groups can see through the place in that time and can return for a second look if needed. Most vendors clear out for the vuweing times.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
... Most vendors clear out for the vuweing times.

Over here, you don't have the choice - your agent phones and arranges a time for a viewing and you get off-side and let them get on with it.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Things used to be like that decades ago. I remember my mother keeping fresh teatowels and towels on special shelf in linen press. Come a phone call and the ones in use were swiftly hidden and fresh replaced. Now it is several scheduled inspection times over about a month and everyone piles in.

If sale is by auction, then there is usually an inspection time allowed immediately before the auction .

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

When we were selling our house in Belfast, I remember going into a panic because the estate agent phoned me at work and said he was going to take someone round that afternoon and I couldn't remember whether I'd emptied the ash-trays* before I left the house.

* back in the day when we smoked ... [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

Well, Piglet was right [Frown] We had four viewings in a week; the first one couldn't really afford the house, the second didn't like the sloping garden and the trees behind, and the third - get this - wanted fewer rooms, but bigger! Now call me picky, but with a floor plan and all the dimensions, wouldn't that have told you what the house was like? [Mad]

Anyway, the fourth one loved the house, and then offered £50K below the asking price [Mad] on the somewhat specious reasoning that 'there are other 4-bed houses round here for that price'.

Fine, say I, go and buy one of those - but they won't have all the rest of what Chateau S has to offer.

That's why you have an agent - so you don't wreak actual bodily harm on stupid people trying to knock you down after a week on the market [Mad]

Mrs. S, [Mad]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Sorry to hear that, Mrs. S. It's early days yet. [Smile]

When we were selling our first house, at the end of one viewing the prospective buyer spent five minutes ranting at us in our driveway about all the things that were wrong with the house ("why haven't you painted the exterior? Fitted double glazing?"). They didn't put in an offer ... [Paranoid]

When we sold our second house (after Northern Ireland prices had begun to catch up with the rest of the country after peace broke out) the estate agent gave it what I thought was a wonderful valuation, but as we were in a hurry to sell, we ended up dropping the price by (IIRC) £10,000. It was still double what we'd paid for it, so we weren't too upset. [Big Grin]

These days most people will offer below the asking price, just to see how desperate you are to sell (and to see if they can get away with it). If they really want it, you can "beat them up" (as Blackadder put it*) to a higher price.

* "Credit where credit's due: it was Baldrick who actually beat them up".

--------------------

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Intrepid Mrs S:
Now call me picky, but with a floor plan and all the dimensions, wouldn't that have told you what the house was like? [Mad]

Perhaps not. Some people need to stand in a space, and can't get a good feel for what it's like from a plan.

Or perhaps they're just looking at every house in their price range.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I can understand the desire for fewer, but bigger, rooms. Our last house had lots of rooms, but most of them (except the main bedroom) were really squitty. Given the choice, I'd have much preferred a decent-sized sitting room.

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

Understood - and even that was better than the chap who stood in our lovely kitchen-breakfast room and pronounced that it was a funny shape, and he'd have to knock down the wall into the utility room! It wouldn't be my choice to have the boiler and washing machine in the breakfast room, but hey, YMMV!

We've had two offers, neither of them enough to make you bite their hands off, but the latest one is more promising [Hot and Hormonal] We've also actually VIEWED some houses, which at least lets me think that there may conceivably BE the right house for us somewhere in the area!

Mrs. S, a bit jaded

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

That sounds a bit hopeful, Mrs. S. Hope it comes to something (and happy hunting!)

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

Two pieces of news here - first, we've accepted an offer on Chateau S. The prospective purchaser hasn't actually sold his house, but even at this stage of the year they are having second viewings, which sounds hopeful [Smile]

Second, The Former Miss S and SiL have had an offer accepted on a lovely cottage, not at all what they were intending to buy, but it really appealed to them on Saturday (even under some snow and ice!) It's very rural, but has all mains including gas, a lovely big garden, and the rooms are arranged sensibly - sometimes in old cottages they are more, ahem, organically grown. At least we have them pinned down now and can adjust our area of search accordingly.

Typically for us, we have identified two possibilities - one at each end of the search area, one in need of everything doing to it and one in need of almost nothing! And we each prefer a different one... ah, well.

Mrs. S, conflicted

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Sounds good, Mrs. S. - here's to further progress for both you and your daughter.

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

Thanks Piglet [Yipee]

Typically, Mr. S's favourite is more sensible, closer to Miss S, near a nicer town/city, needs less doing - but I do still hanker after 'The Old Vicarage' *snif*

Mrs. S, still not sensible after all these years...

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
After watching (at a distance) the complications of house hunt for both my youngest brother and his estranged wife I am so glad I don't need to house hunt - my plan is to be carried out of here feet first -if a large tsunami from an earthquake zone off the coast of central NZ doesn't get me first.

For all the house hunters [Votive]

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

Fingers crossed and don't breathe a word, but we've agreed revised terms with our purchaser, to allow him to sell to a first-time buyer; and we've had an offer accepted on a cottage, not far from Miss S's, which we fell in love with on our last trip.

It didn't tick half the boxes that we we had deemed essential, and the rain was persistently raining, but even so we fell for it so heavily - Miss S as well, she'd come along for the fun - that I haven't dared think about it too much in case I jinxed it.

Given that there are four households moving, if you include the Dowager going into care, I suggested we hired a barn for a week and put all our belongings in it. Then we could divvy them up between us [Killing me] as goodness knows how many fridges, freezers, washing machines and the like we will have [Confused]

Now the fun really begins...

Mrs. S, making lists and drawing plans [Yipee]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

[Votive] [Yipee] Mrs. S. and family [Yipee] [Votive]

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

Well, we seem to be making steady progress towards moving - our purchaser has his mortgage and all the searches and the survey have come back clear [Yipee]

HOWEVER, Master S's purchase has stalled because the 'new-build' that his vendors were buying is not some Redrow or Wimpey house but a self-build owned by a couple getting divorced [Mad] The agent has known this all along, apparently, but didn't think to mention it -
it's infuriating that people are so deceitful [Mad]

And as if that weren't bad enough, Miss S's purchasers have decided that rather than complete in February they don't want the house till May [Mad] Their vendors, OTOH, still insist on moving at the end of February [Mad] But, as their solicitor pointed out, if they hold that line too hard and the family S pull out altogether, it'll certainly take at least 8 weeks and more likely 12 to find another purchaser and go through the whole mating ritual again. Grrrrrr

Mrs. S, thinking there must be a better way [Mad]

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I moved from London to Oxfordshire seven years ago, the whole process took five months, and that was a killer. Yet my good friends the solicitors told me that this was a normal period of time in which to go from advertising a property to actually moving house. And that "short" time of uncertainty and flux caused enormous anxiety and stress.

Mrs.S, I can only wish you all the best, hoping that your move goes smoothly, and the others get sorted reasonably quickly.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

Thanks Jacobsen - Master S is certainly up to 5 months already and Miss S well on the way. Perhaps this was the wrong year to give up booze for Lent?

Mrs. S, twitching already

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Lent hasn't started - no need to give it up quite yet, and you could always give up something else.

I find giving up Marmite very satisfactory ... [Projectile] [Killing me]

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A little wine for your stomach's sake; not to mention that you have to stay sane for your children's sake. [Snigger]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016