homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Recently diagnosed Aspie (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Recently diagnosed Aspie
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by daisydaisy:
... Cuisinaire rods (8 is orange, 9 is black) ...

No - 7 is black.
I thought it didn't sound right, so I had a moment of geekitude and googled it. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Helen-Eva:
Physical pain definitely has colours. That's probably partly why I get confused when doctors ask me to describe pain as the descriptions I can come up with don't make any sense to anyone else!

[Edited to correct absent apostrophe - continuing absence of apostrophe would have been NOT ACCEPTABLE.]

I don't see pain in colours, but my doctor had difficulty understanding my description of a "thin, high pitched pain."

Some testing has shown I'm not neuro-typical, but I've never explored it further.

Huia

[ 05. November 2017, 16:10: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry, I only saw I had messed up the code after the edit window had closed [brick wall] .

Huia- preview post should be my constant friend, instead of a passing acquaintance.

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Huia - coding sorted.

Piglet, helpful AS host

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
quote:
... Cuisinaire rods (8 is orange, 9 is black) ...

No - 7 is black.
I thought it didn't sound right, so I had a moment of geekitude and googled it. [Hot and Hormonal]

Thank you
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dang. I know what a thin, high pitched pain is. We hates them, my precious, we hates them forever.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Helen-Eva
Shipmate
# 15025

- Posted      Profile for Helen-Eva   Email Helen-Eva   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aravis:
Hi Helen Eva!
How do your musical colours fit with different note names? For example, are G sharp and A flat the same colour? Or is it more a colour palette for a certain key?
My colours/notes do some interesting stuff but they aren't completely consistent.
I can tell my choir is going flat because all the colours start to get colder and a bit muddy and then they just go weird. I find it very difficult to read music in the wrong key when singing as I have to transpose in my head.

Hi! Very similar - enharmonics are generally a similar colour but not the same - for example C sharp is a deep red while D flat is purple, while A flat is a sort of brown while G sharp is a deep orange.

If I'm in a group that's going out of tune the colours go muddy and horrible. It's very hard to read in a different key to that written - I have to do the transposition like you do.

--------------------
I thought the radio 3 announcer said "Weber" but it turned out to be Webern. Story of my life.

Posts: 637 | From: London, hopefully in a theatre or concert hall, more likely at work | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Esmeralda

Ship's token UK Mennonite
# 582

- Posted      Profile for Esmeralda   Email Esmeralda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
Jacobson and others - the Waving board is a place where anyone with neuro-atypicality can find others and support.

Aspergers is included, so if you would find that useful, please do apply.

I applied (I have ADHD) but was turned down.
Boogie, I don't recollect your application. Or did you have a different name then? I think I should clarify what Schroedinger said - we do accept Aspies who have identifiable mental health problems, but since AS is a neurological problem not a mental health one, it alone would not be a qualification. The members agreed that having a mental health problem yourself is one of the criteria for membership, and if we change this it would have to be agreed by the membership not just the hosts. We could have a look at this.

--------------------
I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand.

http://reversedstandard.wordpress.com/

Posts: 17415 | From: A small island nobody pays any attention to | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Esmeralda

Ship's token UK Mennonite
# 582

- Posted      Profile for Esmeralda   Email Esmeralda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I also see numbers as colours, but wonder if that's because of Cuisinaire rods (8 is orange, 9 is black) but there are certainly friendly numbers (2, 6, 4) and unfriendly ones (7,9,3)

I do this too, and I'm not even Aspie (though my son is): 1 is white, 2 is cream, 3 is yellow, 4 is red or orange, 5 is blue, 6 is orange or red, 7 is green, 8 is brown and 9 is purple (how does that relate to Cuisinere rods?). Also I used to do mental arithmetic by imagining cream coloured figures on a maroon background - these are (or were) the colours of Coventry buses!

--------------------
I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand.

http://reversedstandard.wordpress.com/

Posts: 17415 | From: A small island nobody pays any attention to | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A good Bible verse for us neurodiverse peeps:

Psalm 139:14

I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.

[Big Grin]

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks BF.

The abridged version has been in my sig for some time.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So it has!

I thought, when the verse sprang to mind (it's from one of my favourite Psalms) that I'd seen part of it online somewhere, somewhen....

The missing 'e' has been duly noted... [Snigger]

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have been thinking about a private neurodiversity support board board, that is one which includes other non neurotypical people and not restricted to autistic people.

Any views on this?

My thoughts are that there needs to be some debate on acceptance of ND people as normal, I think that would be better tackled in public on an 8th day board. I'm willing to host, subject to Ship admin approval and be involved in a ND private board should that follow.

Any thoughts on this as well? Fell free to disagree, I am just throwing out ideas.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
I have been thinking about a private neurodiversity support board board, that is one which includes other non neurotypical people and not restricted to autistic people.

Any views on this?

My thoughts are that there needs to be some debate on acceptance of ND people as normal, I think that would be better tackled in public on an 8th day board. I'm willing to host, subject to Ship admin approval and be involved in a ND private board should that follow.

Any thoughts on this as well? Fell* free to disagree, I am just throwing out ideas.

*Feel free. Missed the edit window.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
@ Balaam - I think there is room for two boards, one private and one public. I have put in an application for a private board to Simon, and he is waiting till the *new* ship is launched in December to give me a decision.

As we are regularly reminded, the ship is public. It's possible that shipmates may wish to post on a private board matters that they would would not necessarily wish to put up for public discussion and comment.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Advisory hostly oink

I've taken advice from the Admins, and if you would like to throw open the idea of a new Eighth Day board, the way to go is by starting a thread in the Styx asking for thoughts and input.

Thanks.

Piglet, AS host

--------------------

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And please also consult the policies and procedures for the Eighth Day.

RuthW, Admin

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Thanks, Ruth! [Smile]

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

I haven't forgotten 8th day, but with Ship 3.0 on the slipway I am biding my time, waiting to see if an 8th day will still be there.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I haven't forgotten 8th day, but with Ship 3.0 on the slipway I am biding my time, waiting to see if an 8th day will still be there.

Why don't you raise the question on this board?

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

It will indeed!
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Have you ever looked at the website Wrong Planet, Balaam?
Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

quote:
Originally posted by Caissa:
Have you ever looked at the website Wrong Planet, Balaam?

Yup, I have been a reader of their forums for some time, but mostly it gets bogged down with the needs of parents of less high functioning children. Which I fully understand.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016