homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Ignored when by yourself (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Ignored when by yourself
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A friend, back in the Days Of My Yoof, went with a small group to a restaurant in the town in which they were staying.

The service was execrable, the wait for the food seemed interminable, the staff were inattentive and rude.

When the food finally arrived, the entire party, with one accord, got up, left the restaurant (and the food) without paying the bill, and adjourned to the nearest fish-and-chip shop.

IJ

--------------------
The future is another country - they might do things differently there...

Posts: 9168 | From: Passing The Glums At The Bus Stop | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rossweisse:
Am I the only person reading who doesn't know the name of the infamous anti-black restaurant chain? (I would be grateful if someone would PM me with it. Ta!)

Denny's settled a class action lawsuit back in the 90s for millions of dollars. They move fast and hard on employees who try to pull this shit now.
Posts: 24413 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cracker Barrel may be the one referred to. It's very popular in the central and southern US.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 5666 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A number of years ago there were a lot of complaints against racial discrimination at Dennys. They swore they'd changed -- but then this happened: 6 black Secret Service agents to share in settlement of Denny's bias suit.

quote:
In the lawsuits, Denny's and its employees were accused of failing to serve blacks or of requiring them to pay a cover charge and pay their bills before receiving their meals. The chain's employees also were accused of ejecting black customers, segregating black from white customers, using racial epithets, failing to honor advertised specials for black customers and trying to limit the number of black customers in a restaurant at any one time.
I stopped eating there when all of this was hitting the fan.

--------------------
Don't keep calm. Go change the world.

Posts: 9453 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by Margaret:
quote:

We dropped round yesterday with her card and present and were invited in to have tea and cake, which I suspect is in lieu of the party, to which I'm evidently not invited on my own.

I think you should just show up anyway.

Thank you to all those who supplied me with the name of the offending restaurant chain. (I wouldn't eat there in any case, but now I'll make sure to avoid them.)

[ 13. November 2017, 00:49: Message edited by: Rossweisse ]

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 14681 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
A number of years ago there were a lot of complaints against racial discrimination at Dennys. They swore they'd changed -- but then this happened: 6 black Secret Service agents to share in settlement of Denny's bias suit.

quote:
In the lawsuits, Denny's and its employees were accused of failing to serve blacks or of requiring them to pay a cover charge and pay their bills before receiving their meals. The chain's employees also were accused of ejecting black customers, segregating black from white customers, using racial epithets, failing to honor advertised specials for black customers and trying to limit the number of black customers in a restaurant at any one time.
I stopped eating there when all of this was hitting the fan.
You do realize that this suit was one from the incidents in 1994 according to the article? It isn't recent. As far as I know Denny's has cleaned up its act. My local Denny's seems to attract a satisfied clientele from many ethnicities. Not that I excuse their previous behavior but they seem to have fixed it in the past thirty years.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21293 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My parents moved to a village in Kent and started at the parish church, where they were invisible for several weeks. Not looked at and then passed over, but not seen.

Until they found out that Dad was a chartered accountant and had served as a church Treasurer elsewhere.

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At which point, no doubt, they were all over him like a rash.

And, at which point, hopefully, he made a noise like a hoop, and rolled off.

[Disappointed]

IJ

--------------------

Posts: 9168 | From: Passing The Glums At The Bus Stop | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My family (Asian/white) isn't welcome at our local Denny's. I am welcome if I come with my white mother. Which I don't. You wouldn't BELIEVE what they did to us.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 19991 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
My family (Asian/white) isn't welcome at our local Denny's. I am welcome if I come with my white mother. Which I don't. You wouldn't BELIEVE what they did to us.

Whoa. Very sorry to hear that. [Frown]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21293 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ok, yes, I was talking about Denny's.

But it isn't just stuff from the 90s. This is the 2015 incident I mentioned, which came to a lawsuit last year.

And if you search on "denny's discrimination 2017", you'll find other things from the last few years.

Sorry for your experience, LC, and anyone else who's been through that. I don't understand how anyone can treat someone that way--particularly in a job where you're supposed to serve anyone who comes in.
[Mad]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?"--Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon"
--"I'm not giving up--and neither should you." --SNL

Posts: 17972 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:

Wow. Just wow. I am so sorry.
Posts: 7558 | From: Albury, Australia | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here from Snopes is a summary of the discrimination settlement that Cracker Barrel was forced to pay. White servers refusing to wait upon black customers, etc.
I drive regularly up and down the east coast of the US, and both Denny's and Cracker Barrel restaurants are very common -- they're large chains. I never dine at either if I can help it.

--------------------

Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Margaret:

I'm perfectly happy, as I'm not a party person, and anyway they're good friends - but I'm slightly [Confused]

I'm afraid so many of us have found out that without husbands we don't exist for other people in many ways; and it's worse if you're not a parent, too.

I think society is a bit better than it used to be. But there's no doubt married-with-kids colleagues are way ahead of me in the being part of the community/developing friendships thing. Some of it is understandable, such as the joint interests parents are bound to have with kids growing up together etc. I get that.

But I'm a fairly sociable creature in my own right. I promise I won't strip naked, set fire to the curtains or throw up on the table display if you invite me round to dinner by myself! Or sit there like Banquo's ghost covered in sackcloth and ashes, bringing everyone down with my single status! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 9953 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anselmina:
But I'm a fairly sociable creature in my own right. I promise I won't ... sit there like Banquo's ghost covered in sackcloth and ashes, bringing everyone down with my single status! [Big Grin]

No worries -- only your host would be able to see you shaking your gory locks.

--------------------
Don't keep calm. Go change the world.

Posts: 9453 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Anselmina said:
quote:
But I'm a fairly sociable creature in my own right. I promise I won't strip naked, set fire to the curtains or throw up on the table display if you invite me round to dinner by myself! Or sit there like Banquo's ghost covered in sackcloth and ashes, bringing everyone down with my single status!
No fun at all, then.... [Disappointed]

Mind you, you don't always have to be on your own to be ignored, or invisible. I well recall a church harvest supper, at which the then Lady Episcopal Digit was asked, by an Elderly Female Person sitting opposite ME (!), 'Does your husband take sugar?'. [Eek!]

IJ

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, all. It sucks--though I will say we've not had that experience at Cracker Barrel, only two Denny's. One of them by black servers, which was very odd.

The really amusing story is my husband's, from seminary days when he and a gang of five hungry guys went into a pizzeria and couldn't get waited on. They DID get asked, accusingly: "Was there money on that table?" as the servers apparently couldn't fathom that their behavior had led the previous party to leave without tipping.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 19991 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think I'm rather relieved that we don't have either Denny's or Cracker Barrel* (which I'd not heard of until now) here, so I don't have to avoid them.

* the restaurant chain, not the cheese. We have that.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 19606 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Be comforted in the knowledge that you have missed nothing. Their food ranges from grindingly ordinary to rather poor. I will only dine there if there's absolutely no other restaurant open.

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never been in a Cracker Barrel. Denny's breakfasts are decent but the other meals aren't.

--------------------
"We're not in Wonderland anymore, Alice." – Charles Manson

Posts: 10289 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anselmina--

Maybe that's the answer--they *want* you to do those things, if *you* want to.
[Biased]

BF--

quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
Mind you, you don't always have to be on your own to be ignored, or invisible. I well recall a church harvest supper, at which the then Lady Episcopal Digit was asked, by an Elderly Female Person sitting opposite ME (!), 'Does your husband take sugar?'. [Eek!]

IJ

Well, in restaurants, it used to be the done thing for a gentleman to order for a lady. Just turnabout.
[Biased]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?"--Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon"
--"I'm not giving up--and neither should you." --SNL

Posts: 17972 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have Dennys here in Christchurch. I've only been in there once, with my nephew and sister-in-law on her birthday. To get a free dinner she had to prove it was her birthday, so she pulled out her firearms licence, which she had just passed and of which she was very proud (she was living a small town and had outperformed all the males in the class). We were served very promptly, but got some very strange looks from the servers.

I didn't know the chain had such a discriminatory history but now I do definitely wouldn't go there again.

Huia

[ 15. November 2017, 07:24: Message edited by: Huia ]

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10115 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Anselmina--

Maybe that's the answer--they *want* you to do those things, if *you* want to.
[Biased]

And to Bishop's Finger. Haha!! Maybe I just haven't been supplied with enough GIN and wine yet?!
[Big Grin]

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 9953 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anselmina:
... enough GIN and wine ...

Does such a thing exist? [Snigger]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 19606 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
system1
Apprentice
# 18389

- Posted      Profile for system1   Email system1   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As I get older I am less and less patient. Once I would have shrivelled up in embarrassment and melted down a drain if deligerately ignored. If someone ignored me in a shop, church, etc I would almost definitely 'say something' possibly in a loud and irritated voice. Where did this person come from. On the other hand, my alternative 'life's too short reaction': 'theyre uneducated scoundrels and not worth bothering with'.
Posts: 3 | From: North Britain | Registered: Apr 2015  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016