homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Time to get the sprouts on ... (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Time to get the sprouts on ...
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This star of which you speak is surely part of your Epiphany celebrations, no?

And therefore need not be put up until 6th January, no?

[Two face]

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
But, if the Magi arrived on January 6th [Devil] surely the star would have been around for a long time before, so they could follow it ...?
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes, but 2 - 4 years later...... [Two face]

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
But, if the Magi arrived on January 6th [Devil] surely the star would have been around for a long time before, so they could follow it ...?

Good point. Anyway, the tree will be coming down on 6th January, along with the star and everything else except the candle-bridges. [Biased]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
MrsBeaky
Shipmate
# 17663

- Posted      Profile for MrsBeaky   Author's homepage   Email MrsBeaky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Which brings me to a question that I can never figure out....when is twelfth night- the 5th or 6th?
I know everyone has their own traditions but if I wanted to follow this tradition I'm scuppered as so many people I know don't agree on the date!

Thoughts, oh fellow festive house decorators?

--------------------
"It is better to be kind than right."

http://davidandlizacooke.wordpress.com

Posts: 693 | From: UK/ Kenya | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by MrsBeaky:
Which brings me to a question that I can never figure out....when is twelfth night- the 5th or 6th?

January 5th, the 12th night (start counting with December 25), and the Eve of the Feast of the Epiphany.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In Newfoundland, the 5th or 6th is still celebrated by some as Old Christmas Day, when you might be invited to someone's house for drinks and festive food (possibly made from left-overs).

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I tend to take the decorations down on the 6th, it gives the magi time to actual get to my nativity scene - at the moment they are on one side of the mantlepiece, whereas Mary, Joseph and assorted shepherds are on the other.
I marzipanned my cake today, or at least attempted to. I ran out of marzipan so it'll have to be finished later in the week.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Tree and cards come down on the evening of the 5th, first thing on the 6th at the latest.

Crib stays up until 4th Sunday after the Epiphany or so - down by Candlemas.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My tree is lit for the last time the night of the 5th.

Decorations start to come down on the 6th, in no particular order, as time permits.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

MrsBeaky
Shipmate
# 17663

- Posted      Profile for MrsBeaky   Author's homepage   Email MrsBeaky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
Tree and cards come down on the evening of the 5th, first thing on the 6th at the latest.

Crib stays up until 4th Sunday after the Epiphany or so - down by Candlemas.

Yes, our Crib stays up until Candlemas too.
I love that tradition.

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My wreath fell off the front door and broke yesterday. Is that an omen of impending disaster or just that I didn't fix it on properly?
I got another on today sligthly differently made, so I hope it satys put.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

We inherited a rather pretty wreath which was on the front door of the château when we moved in, but it (or rather its hook) fell off not long afterwards. We still have the wreath; I just need to find another way of attaching it.

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I mailed all my packages today. Tomorrow I hope to do my Christmas cards. It feels good to be on top of things.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We went through a phase some years ago of people nicking our Christmas wreath (even when it was wired to the woodwork!) so I gave up on those. Besides, putting a hook into our new front door is a definite no-no!

We have managed, this week, to put up our trees, post the cards and order the turkey. Somehow my trees are always secondary to institutional ones - when Dad was head of a village school, the school always had our Christmas tree till after the end of term.

When Mr S was chairman of the Scout group, we never got our tree till after the Senior Citizens' Party - and now that I'm churchwarden I had to organise the church tree and crib first. Maybe that's why we aren't among the Early Adopters for Christmas decorations?

At least the house doesn't look quite so bah, humbug now...

Mrs. S, stands for Scrooge [Killing me]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Today I surprised myself into finishing my Christmas cards. I just now need to surprise myself into getting to the post office this side of Christmas. Last year I damaged both my arms the day before I had planned to get the cards written, so resorted to,e-cards, which I planned to go for this year too, but I've been shamed into sending real ones instead and actually enjoyed doing it.
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

Cards were mailed Thursday and Friday, and I started my present wrapping (what little there is of it) today. I'm slowly checking things off my list.

--------------------
~Tortuf

MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

- Posted      Profile for MaryLouise   Author's homepage   Email MaryLouise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I don't do Christmas really, but my partner put up a small twinkly fake Christmas tree which looks pretty. And there is a box of Christmas crackers in the kitchen cupboard alongside red and green festive napkins.

--------------------
“As regards plots I find real life no help at all. Real life seems to have no plots.”

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Posts: 646 | From: Cape Town | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

I'm afraid the Palace decorations usually consist of just the received cards, strung up over the living-room.

OTOH, the Church looked nice today for the Carol Service, with bits of holly and poinsettia arrayed on the aisle window-sills, to complement the Advent Wreath near the altar. We set fire to lots of candles around the place, too, so suitably festive, albeit Advently restrained.
[Big Grin]

IJ

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Bishop Finger

I think that this webpage from the Order* of St Clare at Freeland may be what you were looking for.

Jengie

*Roman Catholic ones are all 'Poor Clares' so the Order of St Clare was up for taking when they were founded.

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie jon:
Bishop Finger

I think that this webpage from the Order* of St Clare at Freeland may be what you were looking for.

Jengie

*Roman Catholic ones are all 'Poor Clares' so the Order of St Clare was up for taking when they were founded.

I like the simplicity of those cards.

The Anglican nuns at Jamberoo on beautiful south coast of NSW make many things but their candles are especially popular for baptisms.

Link here.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Thanks, Jengie - that's where my colleague bought them from, though the page illustrated was last updated in 2011 ! Presumably, they've produced new designs since then.

IJ

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Those cards are lovely - beautifully simple.

We had our carol service this afternoon, and while it was mostly lovely, two things rather spoiled it: the lessons were taken from some ghastly, inferior translation (i.e. not the AV); and someone (I don't know who) has decreed that the Christmas tree in the Cathedral shouldn't be lit until Christmas Eve, so it was there, but unlit, and I can't think of anything more depressing than an unlit tree. Even D., who's usually a bit bah-humbug about Christmas decorations, reckoned they ought to have turned on the lights. He's going to make recommendations at the next staff meeting.

--------------------

MrsBeaky
Shipmate
# 17663

Decorations went up yesterday with help from husband and third daughter. Interesting listening to them discussing the stories about each ornament-
lots of water under many a Christmas bridge!

I still have a lot to do this week and am not at all well.
But oh, how I love this time of year and so am banking on that bubble of Joy to carry me through to next week.
Watch this space!

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Today and tomorrow are forecast as very hot for Sydney . Christmas Eve will be around 40 and then back to more reasonable 24 on Christmas Day itself. I hope people can take those sprouts off the heat. Heat makes them smelly. [Big Grin]

[ 18. December 2017, 20:13: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
Thanks, Jengie - that's where my colleague bought them from, though the page illustrated was last updated in 2011 ! Presumably, they've produced new designs since then.

IJ

They had more designs in 2011* those were only illustrative. The problem is finding out what they have in.

Jengie

*I am judging by those I bought about 2007.

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Cards posted, presents wrapped. No decs. until sundown of the 24th, though.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I've now sorted out my UK pressies (visit to the Wine Society's web-site fixed that in about half-an-hour flat).

A couple of local (within Canada) things to wrap and post (really must get that done tomorrow) and another batch of red-pepper jelly to make, and I'll feel that I'm on top of things.

We were rather knocked for six last week, because D. pulled a muscle, and wasn't feeling like doing anything, and I had a filthy cold, and wasn't feeling like doing much more than that.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Decorations and tree up, some presents wrapped and under tree, turkey and other comestibles procured. Mrs S is making curry puffs (which always go down well and we have an order for a dozen) and it looks like we may have as few as four at our table on 25th December, which will be a change. For better or worse, I can't say. I think we will have more on Boxing Day.
Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Tree and decorations now up.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

My wreath is hung, as are my Christmas cards. I'm not dealing with a tree this year. My Nativity will go out when I return from this morning's church service, and Baby Jesus will join the rest of the gang after Christmas Eve service.

--------------------
~Tortuf

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Packed for my trip to my daughter's for Christmas. Just waiting for my brothers to get here in a couple of hours, and the rental car to be picked up, and we'll be off.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

[Votive] safe travelling for all on their journeys to Away, or Wherever.

IJ

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

Isn't "Away" where the Manger was?

Merry Christmas to all!

--------------------
~Tortuf

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Merry Christmas everyone! [Axe murder]
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Pressies wrapped ready to be distributed later; now listening to King's on the I-player while D. plays for the children's pageant and early-evening Eucharist before picking me up for Midnight Mass.

Merry Christmas, everyone! [Smile]

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Yes, Happy Christmas, and God bless us, every one!

No sprouts, but I have a couple of nice pieces of chicken, with bacon, and stuffing, cooking up in the Episcopal Palace's coal-fired range. A baked spud, a glass or two of French vin rouge, and some French cheese to follow.....

IJ

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

That sounds rather delicious, BF. [Smile]

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

O, it was, it was...... [Big Grin]

Toast + Marmite, plus Toast + squished BANANA, for tea!

IJ

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Finally got the tree* up at midnight on Christmas Eve, followed by wrapping a present for my neighbour and organising presents for my daughter, which rather counted out Midnight Mass and 8am.

* tree is fake and new†, which had my daughter posting pictures of its patheticness on the book of the Face as I unpacked it. She willingly found the nativity set and miniatures, but not the tree, which she is disdaining;
† I had two others, but both got left at previous two workplaces, one because I had two, the other because this is the first Christmas at home for several years.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Size isn't everything when it comes to trees - it all depends on the size and type of space it's going in.

There's a house up the road from us that has one gable wall that's completely glazed showing a big, double-height space, but no visible decorations* at all. If it was my house, I'd have an absolutely huge tree standing in the window space with bazillions of white lights on it. [Smile]

Ours is 5' tall and quite narrow, which suits fine, as it fills the height of the sitting-room window, but doesn't take up too much horizontal space on the table it's sitting on.

I'm pleased with how it looks, with just a couple of dozen silver baubles and a couple of hundred white lights. [Smile]

* I suppose they may have decorations on the side of the house that faces away from the road, or have none at all.

--------------------

Curious Kitten
Shipmate
# 11953

- Posted      Profile for Curious Kitten     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
* tree is fake and new†, which had my daughter posting pictures of its patheticness on the book of the Face as I unpacked it. She willingly found the nativity set and miniatures, but not the tree, which she is disdaining;

Trunk is furry and the branches on bottom two thirds are mostly bare which really shows. You can see how the fake foliage is attached to the bare metal.
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It isn't that unrealistic, says the person who has decorated countless real trees (for the annual tree festival in church) and spent time rearranging such trees to hide their many imperfections in shape and the bare branch sections. It also didn't help that the photographs were taken before all the branches were disentangled and pulled into position.

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Sometimes you don't need greenery at all - I've seen a couple of pictures of twigs and branches, sprayed white, with a few baubles and lights wound round them and they look lovely.

[Smile]

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

My parents' tree, since they moved to the current house, has been a tall branch sprayed white, decorated with lights and elegant glass baubles on different length strings. It works because it's in the hall of a house, attached to the staircase and they have an outside shed to store said branch*. My grandmother did something similar when she still lived in her marital home. I can't think of anywhere it would work in this flat.

* I have also been on expeditions to collect a suitable branch, left it to dry out and then painted it.

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Curious Kitten:
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:

Trunk is furry and the branches on bottom two thirds are mostly bare which really shows. You can see how the fake foliage is attached to the bare metal.
We have a rather elderly fake tree, and two years ago I read somewhere that to pimp it up a bit, what you need is green tinsel. Masses and masses of green tinsel.

Guess what - it really works! You can push it in between the branches to hide the trunk, and it also adds a bit of glimmer to the whole thing. I know it's too late for this year but get on down to B&Q or somewhere and buy up all their green tinsel in the sales!

Mrs. S, keeping this tree another ten years at least [Killing me]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We were away from 22nd - 27th and before that we had the Colds From Hell, so never got round to decorating at all this year.

However, since we ate out on Christmas Day, we have taken the opportunity to make ourselves a special meal for new year instead.

Tonight began with citrus marinated prawns, followed by ginger glazed ham (Mary Berry's recipe from this year's 'Party' programme, and a cracking recipe it was too), roast potatoes, mustard sauce, and braised red cabbage with apple.

To follow there were home made mini pavlovas.

Everything was delicious and there are plenty of leftovers for tomorrow too!

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

First tree thrown out on to kerbside today - what happened to the 12 days of Xmas?

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

First sighting of Hot Cross Buns in our local Co-Op today, so that's where Xmas has gone!

[Two face]

IJ

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

We saw Easter Eggs in the local Marks and Sparks yesterday - the lamb was cute

eta the Daily Fail article.

[ 01. January 2018, 17:58: Message edited by: Curiosity killed ... ]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016