homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Life downunder (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Life downunder
Dennis the Menace
Shipmate
# 11833

- Posted      Profile for Dennis the Menace   Email Dennis the Menace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We survived the 43 deg. We resigned from our old church last week. I had been playing organ at another most Sundays for the last 6 months and felt that is where I am needed. The people are very friendly and of mixed age. It is a pipe organ, not very large but quite powerful. It was reasonably in tune for an extremely hot day, maybe not so next week as there are to be a few more hot days. The only thing so far I miss about the old church is the a/c!! I heard I was given a nice farewell yesterday, pity I wasn't invited!!

--------------------
"Till we cast our crowns before Him; Lost in wonder, love, and praise."

Posts: 853 | From: Newcastle NSW Australia | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That very much sounds as if you have made the right decision. A farewell and you weren’t invited?

I have made the right decision too in my choice of a new supplier for my fruit and vegetable supplies many branches of the family are invoved in shops etc and market work. Definitely dearer than I was paying, but extremely good quality so I buy less but use it all. Pleasant staff, well presented goods.

Last Friday I had a delivery. This morning the security buzzer went. The driver from last Friday arrived at my door with a lovely fresh lettuce. Apparently one had rolled out of box on Friday and the principal said to bring me a fresh one. I have been using Fridays delivery. Always needed wshing anyway.

[ 08. January 2018, 01:05: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I googled the exchange rate between Canadian and Australian dollars and they're almost on a par (one of ours is $1.03 of yours), which makes me think that even with delivery factored in, the grapes are very expensive indeed.

I love the idea of veggie-boxes, but I very much doubt that we'd use them quickly enough to make them viable.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Dennis the Menace
Shipmate
# 11833

- Posted      Profile for Dennis the Menace   Email Dennis the Menace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't believe it. have just come in from visiting my sister and BiL. Her house is still hot from yesterday and is currently 34 deg and no a/c, they are very well off and sit and sweat it out. [Eek!]

--------------------

Posts: 853 | From: Newcastle NSW Australia | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Dennis the Menace
Shipmate
# 11833

quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
[QB] That very much sounds as if you have made the right decision. A farewell and you weren’t invited? QB]

Yes, apparently three people 'spoke' of my contribution over the last 12 years. Decision was not an easy one, made easier after I heard what the minister didn't do on Christmas Eve!

--------------------

Dennis the Menace
Shipmate
# 11833

quote:
[QB] That very much sounds as if you have made the right decision. A farewell and you weren’t invited? QB]

Yes, apparently three people 'spoke' of my contribution over the last 12 years. Decision was not an easy one, but made easier after I heard what the minister didn't do on Christmas Eve!

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A decision well made, and we hope you both settle in quickly and comfortably.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
May the wind of the Spirit blow away all the cobwebs and fill you with fresh enthusiasm for this next season of service, DtM.

My aged P is very shaken today. Her table mate had a stroke in front of her two days ago, and died this morning. I am glad for his sake that help was at hand instantly and that he did not linger any longer. He would have hated that. But he was a lovely man who always made an effort to remember the name of every staff member at the aged care facility and could discuss sports results with my mater over their meals. I would say 'Rest in Peace and Rise in Glory, Frank'...but he was very much a non-believer. What can one say? I guess he knows the truth now, one way or the other. A kindly soul who has departed, and fewer graces around my mother. Sigh.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How very hard for your mother, BL.

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] Banner Mum [Votive] and for the soul of Frank.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
I googled the exchange rate between Canadian and Australian dollars and they're almost on a par (one of ours is $1.03 of yours), which makes me think that even with delivery factored in, the grapes are very expensive indeed.

I love the idea of veggie-boxes, but I very much doubt that we'd use them quickly enough to make them viable.

Yes the cherries were expensive. I did not buy any. They came from Tasmania, so extra transport, were an unusual variety, it is the end of cherry season. The season here is so short, just a few weeks that I allow myself a cherry indulgence while they are good. Otherewise I stick to more mundane fruits.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"job" interview in ten minutes [Help] !

--------------------

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] I hope it went well Zappa.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Indeed

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

Done. Went well. Now we'll wait and see.

--------------------

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] for the waiting and seeing.

[Votive] for BL's aged P, and Frank.

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

[Votive] Zappa [Votive]

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Today I got my first tattoos. Yes, plural. No, I did not get a pair of marijuana leaves inked on my chest (like a one of my in-laws)...I am celebrating my sixth decade on this planet by re-instating my eyebrows. They had been rapidly disappearing, and now I have them back. It was a pleasant experience with a pleasing result. Where's the one eyebrow raised emoticon when you want it... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

rexory
Shipmate
# 4708

- Posted      Profile for rexory   Author's homepage   Email rexory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Banner Lady:
Today I got my first tattoos.

You wild thing!

--------------------
Our first words on getting to heaven will be "Ohhh!", with an air of "Now I understand!" - CS Lewis, via Philip Yancey, "What Good is God", 2010

Posts: 2974 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Mid-life crisis, eh, BL? [Biased]

I have no tattoos; I suspect that if I got one, even if D. didn't disown me, his mum certainly would - she hates them with a passion.

I don't really mind one way or the other - my sister started getting tattoos when she hit 50, and some of them (I think she has 6 or 7) are really quite tasteful.

A friend who used to teach in a school for delinquent children* got a tattoo to increase her street-cred with her pupils, but she sort of forgot to stop. What started out as a rather pretty ladybird in some foliage has blossomed all over her arms, legs and back into dragons, flowers and you-name-it, all to her own designs (she's an art teacher).

I expect she'll stop when she runs out of skin ... [Eek!]

* Not sure what those establishments are called these days - it's where they send kids who are convicted of an offence.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Warning: Possibly NSFW and definitely not for the squeamish.

Retired school teacher leaves his skin to National Gallery. This teacher taught one of my sons and many pupils from that year remember his sayings. One in particular was Promises, promises. All I ever get from B...is promises. B being my son.

Tattooed skin bequeathed to gallery.

[ 10. January 2018, 23:50: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

[Eek!] That is all.

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Definitely not a mid-life crisis, Piglet. I am simplifying as I get older. My daughters are a little horrified that I so happily abandoned make-up when TP retired (he detests the stuff), and wanted to give me some kind of pampering for my next birthday - which co-incides with B4's wedding day. I suspect they are trying to make their feral mum look at least a little presentable for the occasion.

TP thinks it rather funny that in the last few months he has grown a moustache and I have "grown" eyebrows. A hirsute season in our lives...?

But if you are imagining fuzzy caterpillars, thick straight line tattoos, or me doing a Freda Karlo, think again. Cosmetic tattooing is a most subtle art these days. I doubt most people I meet would even guess they are tattoos.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Hey there, hoopla, the circus is in town!
Have you seen the elephant, have you seen the clown?
Have you seen the tattooed lady, reclining in her tent?
Have you seen her lovers old, weeping their lament?

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Lots of fun, those old verses. I was also thinking of the bulland on the waallaby’s tail. No tattoos but my boys loved that one.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

This one is pretty new - about 6.20 today in fact.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Well yes, and no copyright problems either.

--------------------

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Very nice Gee D.

Go BL!

I was looking for "7" cards for the birthday of my youngest niece...when I suddenly realised she will be 8. Gosh they grow up quick.

We had a storm and a nice bit of rain which just stopped. 39C forecast, and possibly another storm.

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

quote:
[Votive] Zappa [Votive]

I got the position. Will explain on Sunday, when announced. Though I'll probably forget. So for now let's just say it's an up to six(ish) month locum/interim ministry in possibly NZ's most aesthetically stunning parish (and a faith community that strikes me as spritually authentic, too)

[Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

It's been a tough coupla years and this is part of the journey back from a vortex

--------------------

rexory
Shipmate
# 4708

- Posted      Profile for rexory   Author's homepage   Email rexory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
I got the position.

Welcome back!

--------------------
Our first words on getting to heaven will be "Ohhh!", with an air of "Now I understand!" - CS Lewis, via Philip Yancey, "What Good is God", 2010

Posts: 2974 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Brilliant news, Zappa!

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Dennis the Menace
Shipmate
# 11833

quote:
quote:
[Votive] Zappa [Votive]

I got the position. Will explain on Sunday, when announced. Though I'll probably forget. So for now let's just say it's an up to six(ish) month locum/interim ministry in possibly NZ's most aesthetically stunning parish (and a faith community that strikes me as spritually authentic, too)

[Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

It's been a tough coupla years and this is part of the journey back from a vortex

All the best.

--------------------

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good on you! (and good for the parish too!)
Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Yipee] Zappa [Yipee]

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

Wonderful news Zappa! So happy for you.
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wonderful news, Zappa! [Overused]

[Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Well done Zappa, and best wishes from us.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

quote:
Well yes, and no copyright problems either.

The third line does not scan properly, I thought that people may have realised then that it was not authentic. Better luck next time.

OTOH, when Dennis's verse was going through my mind, I thought how well he's captured the vibrancy and joy of the circus in the first couple of lines, and maintains that all the way through. It reminds me of the skill Donne shows in capturing excitement:

At the round earth's imagin'd corners, blow
Your trumpets, angels, and arise, arise
From death, you numberless infinities
Of souls, and to your scatter'd bodies go;

Dennis is often dismissed as a rhymster, no more, but this shows real ability.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Now this is really dating myself but I can still hear in my mind the deep, sonorous tones of Mac from the Argonauts broadcast as he read those and other similar verses.

Thalia 33 signing off.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Some memories of the good ship, Argo and her crew of Argonauts. We did not listen on a Saturday, but definitely every week day, late afternoon.

Who could forget the Muddleheaded Wombat by Ruth Park? Dad explained the children he was teaching to the ABC and asked if he could have a script. Copyright was spelled out to him in the same reply as the envelope with some typed scripts.

--------------------

Dal Segno

al Fine
# 14673

- Posted      Profile for Dal Segno     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I got the position...in possibly NZ's most aesthetically stunning parish...

Congratulations!!! Your description could cover many places in NZ! Looking forward to hearing the details.

--------------------
Yet ever and anon a trumpet sounds

Posts: 1200 | From: Pacific's triple star | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Yipee] Zappa congratulations.

I am so pleased for you - now I can uncross my fingers and toes.

Huia

--------------------

MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

- Posted      Profile for MaryLouise   Author's homepage   Email MaryLouise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Brilliant news, Zappa! Enthusiastic virtual hug

--------------------
“As regards plots I find real life no help at all. Real life seems to have no plots.”

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Posts: 646 | From: Cape Town | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
I got the position ... in possibly NZ's most aesthetically stunning parish ...

In what might be the planet's most aesthetically stunning country, that must be saying something!

Huge congratulations - prayers continuing to ascend for your new ministry!

[Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

Will you have to move far? (If you'd rather not say, I'll quite understand)

--------------------

Polly Plummer
Shipmate
# 13354

- Posted      Profile for Polly Plummer   Email Polly Plummer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Yipee] Zappa
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Yipee]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

quote:
So for now let's just say it's an up to six(ish) month locum/interim ministry in possibly NZ's most aesthetically stunning parish (and a faith community that strikes me as spritually authentic, too)

Depending on your aesthetics I can think of a couple in the North Island and a couple in the South, that are either near the bush, a lake, or the sea. Wherever it is I hope the temperatures are warm.

Huia

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Glad you have been brought forth from the wilderness Zappa, and have a beautiful place to hole up in for the next little while. May it may a space of grace for you and Mrs Z.

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

Moving about 1000 kms ... and commuting monthly! Kuruman has to stay here in Scarily Close as KuruZapplet#2 still has a year of school to finish ... Kuruman will pick up the school and sports and kulcha running around except when her work takes her away, and I have to return for those periods (built into the agreement with the parish).

There is a lake. I'm trying to work out whether to take my kayak for days off.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016