homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Tea and biscuits or GIN and tonic? Britain 2018 (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Tea and biscuits or GIN and tonic? Britain 2018
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:

Rugby isn't what it used to be. I've got stud marks to prove it.

thanks to Moseley's recent travails, I've been watching a lot of National 1 the past couple of seasons...not sure much has changed down here...

--------------------
And is it true? For if it is....

Posts: 1481 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
D. (who detests most forms of sport) likes to quote the following (quite possibly unfair) definitions:

Cricket: a gentlemen's game played by gentlemen
Rugby union: a yobs' game played by gentlemen
Soccer: a gentlemen's game played by yobs
Rugby league: a yobs' game played by yobs

Obviously, the bit about soccer being played by yobs doesn't apply to Ipswich Town ... [Devil]

The predicted thaw is certainly happening - it's currently 11° and pouring. It's shifted quite a bit of the snow though: we have visible tarmac and grass. It's not going to last though - it's set to plummet back to freezing tomorrow morning, and all the water that's lying around will freeze again, which is Not A Good Thing.

It was nice while it lasted ...

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
+34°C forecast here, currently 33 at midday. No ice except in my water glass that I can see.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You must be somewhere else too. -36°C here. Windchill of -45.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
D. (who detests most forms of sport) likes to quote the following (quite possibly unfair) definitions:

Cricket: a gentlemen's game played by gentlemen
Rugby union: a yobs' game played by gentlemen
Soccer: a gentlemen's game played by yobs
Rugby league: a yobs' game played by yobs

Obviously, the bit about soccer being played by yobs doesn't apply to Ipswich Town ... [Devil]

In addition the Gaelic field sports* are, as they say, "Games for hooligans played by hooligans". By extension that includes Aussie Rules while American Football (Gridiron) is a computerised tank battle.

*Gaelic Football and Hurling.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
5°C here. I don’t mind what the temperature is, I just need to see some sun. There has been none here for weeks, just low grey clouds [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Much the same here, though the Great Yellow Face did show himself a few days ago (or was it weeks....?).

Grey is, alas, the predominant colour of most of Ukland - physically and mentally - at the moment. Whether there are more than fifty shades of it, I cannot say.

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(By Great Yellow Face, I mean, of course, the Sun-Star, not the racist monster across the Pond).

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Orange, BJ, orange. We cannot give over our entire spectrum to him. (I was in New York City last January, and in the theater district the Tropicana people had set up a promotional tent, with coupons for orange juice, etc. They were doing little business, and I said to one of the girls, "Orange will be okay again some day.")

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Point taken, Brenda - I was suddenly afraid that what is usually Benign (unless you catch too much of it) might be confused with that which is Malign (even if you only catch a teeny bit of it).

IJ

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not much in the way of sunshine here today, but all that rain we had last night has certainly shifted some of the snow. D. looked out the window this morning and said if it carries on like this he'll have to cut the grass ... [Big Grin]

As predicted though, it changed to freezing rain, and getting about today was not really much fun - there were Patches of Treachery™ all over the place. Salt has been applied to the path, steps and deck chez Piglet, and if the forecasters are to be believed, we should have a couple of cold but sunny, snow-free days before it all starts again.

Hurrah for January thaws! [Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not terribly exciting weather here. Just grey and mibsy. I am staying in and surfing t'internet, reading, and zentangling.

Actually, what good things to do!

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Not so grey or mibsy (lovely word!) here today, but still conducive to staying in, reading, eating SOUP etc.

Mind you, it's been so mild overall that daffodils are beginning to appear already, not to mention the lovely little celandines next to the Vicarage drive...
[Eek!]

IJ

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Very grey here, we didn't eat soup but TOAST.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Grey and shitty here near the oxen ford as we!!, but the first crocus is just starting to open up, and the snowdrops are heading up as well. It's coming...

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

SOUP and TOAST are both very comforting indeed. You know there'a new thread upstairs in Heaven about SOUP machines? Who even knew that such things existed?

It's a gloriously sunny but very cold (-12°) day here; the salt seems to have staved off the worst of the Patches of Treachery™ chez Piglet and I'm contemplating what sort of concoction I'm going to make for lunch with part of the roast chicken in the fridge.

Creamy-white-wine sauce or rosemary-and-lemon? Will have a browse round the interweb to see what I can come up with.

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Hmm...rosemary-and-lemon sounds good!

Meanwhile, TOAST has been the chosen item for Tea this evening, with lashings of Butter and Marmalade (yes, I know it's usually eaten at breakfast, but I've run out of Jam...).

The month plods on, and in 10 days' time the ingrowing Episcopal Toenail is due to be removed. Some stout open-toed sandals are on order, and warm thermal socks have been bought, as the chiropodist advises me that the initial post-op dressing is HUUUUGE (or bigly, even).

Ouch. Ouch. Ouch.

[Waterworks]

IJ

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have just spent an entertaining weekend with a team of Guides on indoor camp at the Pedal Car Olympics, the only Guides team present, although there were quite a few girl scouts there. We were there mob handed as we had a girl with epilepsy with us, and if she has a problem she takes out at least one adult.

Thursday night, I saw The Transports and Wednesday night attended the local panto with Guides, at what I suspect was the dress rehearsal: Cinderella with Prince Charming and Dando performed by girls in tights and boots, the Ugly Sisters as men in drag, and a number of fairly current hits.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

IMHO panto has to have the principal boys played by girls with good legs in tights and boots, and the dames played by blokes.

It's tradition, innit? [Smile]

In the end my lunch concoction included pretty much everything: lemon, rosemary, cream and mushrooms. It was OK, but I think I got the chicken/mushroom ratio wrong - D. really isn't all that keen on mushrooms - so if I do something similar again, I'll put in more chicken.

I do, however, now have half a lemon in the fridge, which provides an excellent excuse for GIN.

[Big Grin]

eta: BF, it doesn't matter what time of day it is - marmalade is always the right thing to put on toast. As Clement Freud put it, "only cads and Frenchmen eat jam for breakfast" (or, I would add, on toast any time of day). Jam is for eating on (preferably freshly-baked) bread.

[ 15. January 2018, 05:40: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Yes, marmalade on TOAST is a Good Thing, and yet more proof that God loves us, and that She wants us to be happy.

A lovely day here today, not grey and mibsy at all, but sunny, with a fresh north-westerly breeze, and some impressive cloud formations.

A successful shopping expedition has resulted in the acquisition of some nice new Tea Towels for the Palace, along with pea and ham SOUP for the Episcopal Tea.

I really need to get out more...... [Help]

IJ

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Marmalade on toast is one of the few things I'd rather have with a cup of tea rather than coffee, but it has to be STRONG tea, Assam is perfect, but Builders' (sans sugar) is also good.

When will it stop raining? It's been like this since before dawn. I have things that need doing. [Frown]

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Of late I’ve been eating rather more in the mornings than usual. My regular “I hate mornings and I don’t want anything but I’ll force some yogurt down” routine has been replaced by toast AND the yogurt AND possibly some fruit as well. Oh and also a Pooh bear-style snack mid morning. My digestive system is behaving most oddly at present.

Now until now, I was spreading my toast with Marmite. And the Marmite was tasty, and I was perfectly contented. But now I have a longing for marmalade which I fear nothing will assuage. I may have to pass by Marks and Sparks on the way home (one place I am sure I can get the proper English confection).

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is currently a marmalade free zone, must get some. I wonder if the nice Mr Sainsbury has some of the Old English style, made from fermenting oranges, if there is a Marmite among marmalades this is it.

As for the weather, the rain I spoke about earlier stopped. By turning to snow, then, when I could defer going out no longer, it changed again. I went out in driving hail. Fun.

Current weather, sleet. Current status, warming nyself up with a coffee.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

lver, you are, of course, now eating for two, and it is clear that Bubble Rouge is in plain need of TOAST and MARMALADE....a visit to Marks n'Sparks little corner shop is definitely called for.

[Big Grin]

IJ

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But - as far as I know - M&S doesn't stock that prince among marmalades, Wilkins' "Tawny". Better go to S++nsb+ry's.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Not stock Wilkins'!!

Is Outrage!!

(Thanks, BT, for reminding me of the name of Ukland's finest MARMALADE company. My Old Dad used to stock a few jars of it in his little corner shop).

IJ

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

They also do "Little Scarlet" strawberry jam ... but that can't be eaten in the close season, of course.

By the way, the Wilkinses were strong Congregationalists and endowed the chapel at Tiptree (now URC). The fascinating museum at the factory does have a small section dedicated to this.

[ 16. January 2018, 16:28: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

My favourite Wilkins' jam was Raspberry.....

...where's that drooly emoji when you need it?

IJ

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

BTW, the Chapel is quite an attractive building, as seen here.

Why, they've even painted the doors in Strawberry Jam Red!

IJ

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:

I like it too - but my son calls that Devil's Jam because of the seeds in it which get stuck in one's teeth!
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
IMHO panto has to have the principal boys played by girls with good legs in tights and boots, and the dames played by blokes.

When Miss S was very small - 2 and a little bit, perhaps - she was 'minded' by a lovely friend of mine called Thelma. Thelma - who was by profession a teacher - always played Principal Boy in the village pantomime, and my abiding memory is of Miss S standing on a chair and pointing out, in loud, clear tones, just at the quiet bit -

'FELMA'S GOT NO TROWSIS ON!'

Got the best laugh of the evening [Killing me]

Mrs. S, reflecting that children, drunks and leggings never lie

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:

Mine too - and there's a jar of it in the porcine larder! [Smile]

We always pay a visit to Tiptree when we're visiting D's mum - it's just a few miles along the road - and they have a lovely little café which does excellent ploughman's lunches or a wicked afternoon tea.

We usually top up the jam stock whenever we're there - I know we shouldn't really be bringing food into Canada, but it's in a sealed-up jar and is only for our own use - where's the harm? Also, it costs £2.50 for a jar at the factory shop, and $8.50 (about £5) in the shops here (and you don't get the same variety).

BT, you know they do seedless raspberry jam, don't you?

We were picked out for a random bag-search coming back to St. John's once, and when we confessed to having several jars of jam, the security lady just shrugged and said, "Oooh, I love jam!" and sent us on our way.

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Factory sealed packaging of almost anything but perishables (meat or cheese, eg) will get through. Anything home made will not. I have been bringing kilos of tea back from India and jars of Marmite from the UK for a very long time.

Alas no more travelling. [Waterworks]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

quote:
We always pay a visit to Tiptree when we're visiting D's mum - it's just a few miles along the road - and they have a lovely little café which does excellent ploughman's lunches or a wicked afternoon tea.

You do know that they have other teashops, such as Dedham and Heybridge Basin? The staff at the former were extremely helpful to my wife when we went there for a "treat" while she was convalescing after an operation.

quote:
BT, you know they do seedless raspberry jam, don't you?
Yes. Well, even the best firms can make mistakes.
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The rouge family (having one branch in the South-West of France and another in LA), have become pros at smuggling foie gras through customs. My sister-in-law would sell her soul for same. Sealed tin cans have always made it through thus far – the sniffer dogs can’t find them.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
The rouge family (having one branch in the South-West of France and another in LA), have become pros at smuggling foie gras through customs. My sister-in-law would sell her soul for same. Sealed tin cans have always made it through thus far – the sniffer dogs can’t find them.

I'm sorry, but that's just not on. There are good reasons why imports must meet strict standards. We missed out on the Mad Cow epidemic a few years because of restrictions on the import of meat products. TB has been eliminated here by either banning the importation of raw dairy products or only allowing in those which meet very strict standards. There on the plus side.

On the minus, smuggling azalea cuttings in from the US in a passenger's luggage introduced petal blight, which rapidly spread across the continent; that can only be controlled by the use of unpleasant chemicals. Who knows what illnesses could have been brought in by a film star's dogs a couple of years ago, undeclared passengers on his private plane when he was filming.

I apologise if this sounds rude, but controls have real merits and the failure to observe them can have disastrous consequences. And sealed cans do not guarantee that the contents are safe.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

Actually the reason you can’t get foie gras into the US is nothing to do with contamination. In a sealed can the (cooked) contents are sterile. It’s about cruelty to ducks.

--------------------

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
The rouge family (having one branch in the South-West of France and another in LA), have become pros at smuggling foie gras through customs.

I'm sorry, but that's just not on. There are good reasons why imports must meet strict standards. [..]
I apologise if this sounds rude, but controls have real merits and the failure to observe them can have disastrous consequences. And sealed cans do not guarantee that the contents are safe.

From the US Customs and Border Patrol website:

quote:

Poultry and poultry products from a country not known to be infected with Exotic Newcastle Disease (END) and Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza (HPAI) generally are able to enter the United States. The product must be unopened and commercially label indicating the country of origin and meat type. Products containing raw egg ingredients are prohibited from most regions. See Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) Animal Product Import Manual, Chapter 3-6 Eggs and Egg Products.

So on food safety grounds, foie gras would be importable. Note that US CBP requires you to declare all food items, even those that are importable.

We did import a home-made Christmas cake once - a gorgeous thing my mum made, covered in royal icing, trellis, and piped flowers. It came in a large tupperware box.

Importing it was fine - it was transporting it without breaking the icing that was a challenge.

[ 17. January 2018, 13:51: Message edited by: Leorning Cniht ]

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

We've had a very lazy snow-day today. Small flakes fell in a gentle fashion for most of the day, leaving us with about 4-6 inches more than we had before. Not too bad in the grand scheme of things, and D. said it wasn't too hard to shift.

At least it shouldn't interfere with choir practice. [Smile]

--------------------

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:

We did import a home-made Christmas cake once - a gorgeous thing my mum made, covered in royal icing, trellis, and piped flowers. It came in a large tupperware box.

Importing it was fine - it was transporting it without breaking the icing that was a challenge.

My Dad made my wedding cake and sent it to France via Fedex [Big Grin]

A tiny bit of icing had to be retouched but apart from that it survived fine.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

That's pretty impressive - it could have arrived looking more like a summer pudding ... [Eek!]

After the snow yesterday (which didn't really amount to too much - about 4-6 inches), it's been a beautiful day today, with the river and the snow on the opposite bank sparkling pink in the setting sun.

I love the view from the château! [Smile]

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
After the snow yesterday (which didn't really amount to too much - about 4-6 inches), it's been a beautiful day today, with the river and the snow on the opposite bank sparkling pink in the setting sun.

Four to six inches of sn*w is way too much in Britain! Buses don't run, trains don't run to time (where they run at all) and bless'em, British drivers, unless they deal with it regularly' aren't competent on wet roads, let alone roads covered in snow and ice.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Indeed, although as I observed on Facebook, it's all a matter of what you're prepared for.

In the whole 15 years we lived in Northern Ireland, I think we saw a total of about 6 inches of snow; an inch would bring the whole province to a standstill and the rubbish wouldn't be collected. Because snow was such a rare occurrence, the infrastructure wasn't in place to cope with it.

A couple of inches of snow would barely register here: 6 inches is the base line where we start getting "alerts".

We're just back from a very enjoyable evening with some friends from the choir. When D. did his accompaniment to Phantom of the Opera back in October, some of them weren't able to be there, so one of their husbands recorded it, and synched it with the DVD of the film, which we watched while enjoying nibbles and wine, followed by excellent paella, an amazing cake shaped like an organ (with chocolate cigars as pipes [Cool] ) and more wine.

Good food, good company and good fun. [Smile]

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I lived in Northern Ireland there was no measurable snow for two years. Then I had a baby and had to push a pram with very small wheels. It snowed several inches, and I had a terrible time.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Certainly the prospect of pushing a pram in even the slightest amount of snow is not a pleasant one.

At the moment, we're just relishing being able to see bits of tarmac on the path and driveway - I don't imagine it'll last very long, but it's lovely while it does. [Smile]

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Certainly the prospect of pushing a pram in even the slightest amount of snow is not a pleasant one. [...]

People may need something like this! (I'm sure other brands are available.)

[Cool]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Those are rather cool bits of kit (albeit IMHO a tad expensive)!

Langlauf pram-pushing...... [Big Grin]

Some sn*w is trying to fall here, but it keeps failing to do so properly, transmogrifying into rain instead.

[Disappointed]

Never mind - we had a fair turn-out at Our Place this morning, despite a number of Mispers, due to the weather, and The Dreaded Lurgy (which is still rife).

Lamb and red cabbage for lunch!

With pineapple steeped in PORT to follow!

And CHEESE!

[Big Grin]

IJ

--------------------

M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just back from a really interesting visit to Pevensey Castle (a mediaeval keep inside a Roman fort). I'd never been to Pevensey before! There's much more of the Roman walls left than I realised. I hadn't realised either that it was garrisoned during the Second World War and gun emplacements built into the walls.

We stayed in a dear little hotel just across the road from the castle, very comfy and very good food. And the castle is clearly prime dog walking territory, so we got to talk to lots of nice doggies.

Altogether lovely except for the freezing incessant rain. And the incense at the local church we visited, which always makes me feel ill.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
... Lamb and red cabbage for lunch!

I'll be right over ... [Big Grin]

Actually, we're going to have D's internationally-renowned cottage pie, which is almost the next best thing to lamb. [Smile]

It's another beautifully sunny, cold day (currently -5°) here - just the sort of winter day I like.

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Here it has been raining all day.

Solidly. Miserably. Soggily. Continually. Depressingly. Puddlingly. Welshly. Wetly.

But we had a quite a good turnout at Church, and a good "feel" to worship.

Did I say that it has been a bit damp, by the way? (Just in case you hadn't realised).

The roast is in the oven - that will cheer us up!

[ 21. January 2018, 17:53: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016