homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Tea and biscuits or GIN and tonic? Britain 2018 (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Tea and biscuits or GIN and tonic? Britain 2018
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Soggily wet rain here too. I went out to lunch with a friend. Chicken biryani - very nice indeed.

Much deserved as I was up most of the night with a poorly puppy [Snore]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We had snow from 10am to 2pm, when it turned to rain and slush. So slushy, grey, miserable, dull and wet here too.

Yesterday I met up with Yangtze to see the Rachel Whiteread exhibition in Tate Britain, and some of the London Lumiere lights which are spectacular, particularly Westminster Abbey, before the Sam Wanamaker Playhouse production of All's Well that Ends Well.

I was hoping to head in to see more of London Lumiere today, but not in these conditions: there's a set of points on the way home that is known to freeze after dark and take out about 6 miles of track, which is too far to walk home.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
Much deserved as I was up most of the night with a poorly puppy [Snore]

Hope the puppy is doing better!
[Frown]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
Much deserved as I was up most of the night with a poorly puppy.

Hope the puppy is doing better!

Thank you, he’s right as rain today, I’ve no idea what gave him his funny tummy - but I’m thankful he’s better! We had a church meeting this afternoon so his ‘work’ was sleeping by my feet, followed by a short walk home - a nice easy day.

(Yes, I would have slept too if I could - it was a typical church meeting [Roll Eyes] [Snore] )

[ 22. January 2018, 15:00: Message edited by: Boogie ]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We're in the midst of slightly more interesting church meetings at the moment, it being Christian Unity week.

The main service was at my place last night with an excellent speaker from the Baptist church and I'm just back from the local Methodist church. We'll cover all the denominations one chocolate hobnob at a time [Smile]

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nowt much seems to be happening on the (official) Christian Unity front down here (or perhaps I just haven't noticed).

We do, however, have a number of things on which the various churches are currently working together, anyway - Food Bank, Night Shelter, monthly Prayer Vigils, and a major outreach event this coming June, with noted evangelist J. John. Check him out on YouTube - he is an excellent raconteur.

PCC meeting this Wednesday ( [Frown] ), but I won't be attending, on account of needing a quiet evening, and an early night, prior to having the ingrowing Episcopal toenail removed on Thursday ( [Votive] please!).

Meanwhile, it's fish-cakes for tea. They contain CHEESE as well as haddock! [Big Grin]

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
Meanwhile, it's fish-cakes for tea. They contain CHEESE as well as haddock! [Big Grin]

I have had something like this which also had a little mustard (and was made with cod). They were delicious. Also [Votive] for the toenailectomy.

It was the funeral of my aunt today. I got a little weepy at the end of the cremation service (there was a service in church too) but there is not the same sense of loss when they die aged 101.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you.

[Votive] for Auntie, but, as you say, 101 is a good innings! May she RIPARIG.

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] for Auntie Balaam - may she rest in peace.

I've just been doing a spot of typing for D., who's sorting out the choir library, and mooching about on here while I wait for him, but as he's just walked in, I'll head off.

Boogie, glad to hear your puppy is feeling better.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
[Votive] for Auntie, but, as you say, 101 is a good innings! May she RIPARIG.

Thank you.

It was a good send off.

I had the strangest accident. Brother and Sister-in-Law were up for the funeral from the wilds of Kent. They brought their chocolate labrador, Cocoa.

Not being used to disabled people, Cocoa greeted be as enthusiastically as she greets everyone whose scent she recognised and knocked me over. I was not hurt. You cannot blame the dog, as she was not trained to recognise the difference between people with crutches and those without. Not only that, but she is such a lovely animal.

In fact my favourite dog is the same as my ideal job. - Chocolate lab.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:

In fact my favourite dog is the same as my ideal job. - Chocolate lab.

[Killing me]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Love it! [Killing me]

There's a bloke who used to sing in our choir who's moved to another province and runs a chocolate company called the Chocolate Lab.

I never got the significance of the name until now ... [Hot and Hormonal]

Piglet, a bit slow on the uptake

We had a day of snow and freezing rain today [Waterworks] , but it's now turned to proper rain, the temperature's shot up to 9° and a good bit of the accumulated icy treachery seems to have gone. [Yipee]

As it wasn't a nice day, I made SOUP. Do help yourselves.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Thank you! It'll go nicely with TOAST and MARMITE for a comforting late breakfast, as it's rather dull, wit, and wendy here.

[Big Grin]

IJ

--------------------

Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I too have made soup - butternut squash, coconut, ginger & chilli. To be eaten with ham sandwiches (I roasted a Christmas ham from IKEA yesterday) Although it is sunny outside, and reasonably mild for the time of year, inside our stone walled house it is COLD.

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have just come in after Braving the Elements by virtuously going by bus to the supermarket (it's windy, wet but not particularly cold). I'm now enjoying a nice cup of coffee and a Welsh cake with marmalade.

There's soup for lunch, however that may be DELAYED due to a dentist's appointment at noon ...

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It’s warmed up a bit here. It’s a mostly damp and wet week here.

I made porridge this morning (and no piglet, it didn’t explode [Biased] ). I’m getting quite into this breakfasting lark (which is new for me) and I’d got bored with toast every day.

I have half a jar of leftover mincemeat sitting in my fridge. Any ideas what I can do with it? Making mince pies in January feels wrong.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

My Old Mum used to make mincemeat tarts (same size as a jam tart), which she then topped with icing, like what you do with CAKE, finishing off this super-sweet confection with a glace cherry.

[Help]

(BTW, how was the visit to the dentist, BT?)

IJ

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm no cook. Apparently you can freeze it, although it may not be terribly appetising afterwards.

Here are three recipes I got off the web: No.1, No.2, and No.3.

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

- Posted      Profile for Kitten   Email Kitten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mix it with stewed apple and make a crumble

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

Never accept a ride from a stranger, unless they are in a big blue box

Posts: 2330 | From: Carmarthenshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bake it under a frangipane or similar cake topping and throw some custard at it?

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Remove the core from apples, insert mincemeat, bake for ?? and eat with cream or custard.

(nb, if it is being prepared by A N Other for you to put in the oven remember to take off the clingfilm!)

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like the baked apples idea. Custard will be Marks and Sparks’ finest because I am Bad™ at custard and have given up trying when I can buy something readymade in a pot which is nicer than anything my laborious efforts have ever produced.

I just googled to see how long/how hot one bakes apples for. Apparently the first thing I need to do is ask a grown-up to turn the oven on for me [Cool] .

ETA: BF, it seems entirely appropriate that you describe those tarts in a post that also mentions a trip to the dentist...

[ 24. January 2018, 15:45: Message edited by: la vie en rouge ]

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Pure coincidence and the assumption that I've actually been thinking! [Cool]

I think my wife has made baked apples with mincemeat though I suspect she adds a few (stoned!) dates as well - yummy.

[ 24. January 2018, 15:50: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
Remove the core from apples, insert mincemeat, bake for ?? and eat with cream or custard.

(nb, if it is being prepared by A N Other for you to put in the oven remember to take off the clingfilm!)

Score through the apple peel in an equatorial manner to prevent the peel from splitting.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
... I made porridge this morning (and no piglet ...)

Thank God for that! [Eek!] [Devil]

As regards your mincemeat, I don't really see why you shouldn't have mince pies (or a variant thereof) in January. Why not make it into a big pie (covered or not as you like) and serve it as a pudding, cut in wedges, with indecent amounts of cream poured over the top?

If you need any help finishing it off ... [Biased]
quote:
Originally posted by Dormouse:
... a Christmas ham from IKEA ...

IKEA sells hams??? This makes me even sadder that our nearest one is about four hours away in Halifax, Nova Scotia. [Frown]

Bishop's Finger, don't you dare come anywhere near my nice SOUP with your Marmite! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

We promises, yess, we promises! (cowers in fear) Don't hit us, please! [Help]

BTW, your idea of a large mincemeat tart sounds, once again, like one of My Old Mum's efforts. She left the top open (i.e. no icing [Waterworks] ), but criss-crossed it with a lattice of pastry-work. My Old Dad used to drown his wedge of it in custard, but I (rather austerely) preferred Ice Cream instead.

IJ

--------------------

Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sadly IKEA only sells hams (cooked, frozen) at Christmas so once they've gone, they've gone. It's something I find quite hard to find in France, so a nice roasted ham is a treat - I made a honey/marmalade/mustard/orange juice glaze for it. So far it has done 2x 2 main meals, 2 lots of sandwiches and there's still lots left. Miam-miam!

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

quote:
...your idea of a large mincemeat tart sounds, once again, like one of My Old Mum's efforts. She left the top open (i.e. no icing [Waterworks] ), but criss-crossed it with a lattice of pastry-work. My Old Dad used to drown his wedge of it in custard, but I (rather austerely) preferred Ice Cream instead.

No need to be austere. Serve with a RUM on the side, pour the Rum over the ice cream.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Now, I hadn't thought of RUM. What a Good Idea.

[Big Grin]

The Episcopal Toenailectomy went well, with not too much pain (so far). I did consider retaining the bits as Holy Relics, but perhaps not, as I'd probably have to be dead for them to be efficacious....

A kind friend gave me a lift to and from the clinic, and fed me afterwards with PIE and ALE, so all-in-all, quite a good day!

IJ

--------------------

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

It being MuminElmet's birthday today, I roasted a chicken (shoved an onion and a lemon up it's bum, spread some miso on it's skin) and baked a lemon, ginger and date cake.

We had our Burns Night haggis yesterday. Anybody reeling tonight?

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Sadly no reeling for me (we've got choir practice on Thursdays). Now I think about it, the last time I indulged in Scottish country dancing (the Strip the Willow at my nephew's wedding) it nearly finished me off.

I do, however, still have some lamb liver in the freezer, so with the addition of minced lamb and appropriate spices and flavourings, I could make another haggis. Will contemplate for future eatings.

Glad to hear the surgery went well, BF - take it easy now for a wee while. [Smile]

It's getting a bit chilly again - currently -11°, feeling like -19, but set to sink to -20° and feeling like -27 overnight.

Brrrrrr ... [Eek!]

--------------------

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

I have just discovered that the Monoprix downstairs from my office sells chocolate digestive biscuits [Yipee]

They also now make DOUBLE chocolate ones (the biscuit part is also chocolatey, with chocolate chips in). They aren’t the same as proper normal chocolate digestives, but very pleasant all the same.

I have made the beginnings of fishcakes for tonight’s dinner. Currently a bowl of potatoey-fishy stuff sitting in my fridge because it’s easier to mould when cold and falls apart less in the pan. Top cunning tip I saw in a Jamie Oliver recipe (not that I really followed his version apart from that) – steam the fish in a colander on top of the pan of potatoes, thus economising on gas and washing up.

The mincemeat baked apples will follow. I am feeling extremely domesticated.

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Can you provide a link to these wonderful double CHOCOLATE biscuits?

The Monoprix website shows 647 varieties of biscuit, and I began to feel faint with CHOCOLATE-deprivation after just one page....

I'm only 2 hours from Paris by train, and I gather there is a Monoprix at the Gare du Nord.

[Snigger]

IJ

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

You don’t even need to go as far as Paris, BF - there's a Monoprix in Calais. How far are you from the Tunnel? That way, you can take the Episcopal Carriage and bring back as much CHOCOLATE as you like (and WINE, obviously [Big Grin] ).

It's been very cold here, which is sort of good, as the Fredericton Frostival is on at the moment and some enterprising and very talented soul has been making ice-sculptures. We went to a cafe called the Chess Piece for lunch after D's concert today, and outside was a beautiful sculpture, about 4' high, of a chess knight. It'll be safe enough tonight, as it's currently -12° and heading down towards -18° overnight, but I don't think it'll survive the +8° we're apparently getting on Sunday. [Tear]

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Piglet I wish I could donate you some heat. Those temperature sound brutal.

On Tuesday, which is the day school starts after the holidays, 32c if forecast here (89.6 f). I hope the Met Service has got it wrong.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

The biscuits are McVities. I'm sure you can get them somewhere closer than France.

They are very pleasant but lack the salty hit of normal digestives.

--------------------

M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
La Vie en Rouge, how are things in Paris? I'm thinking about the weather & the Seine rising.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

Anyone else check the Styx every time they visit the Ship to see if the New Vessel has set sail yet?

I think it’s time for a little light hearted speculation .

[Smile] 🚢

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sound the trumpets, I actually managed to get something I wanted in a sale! A rather nice thick Craghoppers sweatshirt reduced from £60 to £18! I NEVER find bargains [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

That is a bargain.

I love a good bargain (and not just because I'm a canny Scot). There's a pharmacy/grocery chain over here called Shoppers who, as well as having a very generous loyalty card, have some excellent special offers, which they brag about on your receipt (YOU HAVE SAVED $XX.XX TODAY!).

I went in the other day to get nail-polish top-coat; the brand I like is usually $11.99 and was reduced to $5, so I bought two. Along with a tube of toothpaste (also reduced) my bill came to $13.09 with tax*, and the receipt informed me that I'd saved $13.50 - more than I'd actually spent.

[rant ON]
* I'll never get used to the fact that you have to add Harmonised Sales Tax to the ticket price of almost everything you buy here - if the tills can work out what it is, why can't the machines that produce the tickets?

And before any of my fellow-Canucks drop in to say it's because the rate varies from province to province, if petrol stations and off-licences can do it, why can't other shops?

[Mad]
[/rant OFF]

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:

[rant ON]
* I'll never get used to the fact that you have to add Harmonised Sales Tax to the ticket price of almost everything you buy here - if the tills can work out what it is, why can't the machines that produce the tickets?

And before any of my fellow-Canucks drop in to say it's because the rate varies from province to province, if petrol stations and off-licences can do it, why can't other shops?

[Mad]
[/rant OFF]

The answer is *rounding*. If the tax is added to each item then the rounding adjustments for each of these can easily exceed the tax added to the total of all the taxable items.

It's one of my peeves about VAT.

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My bargain of the day was a dressing gown, in the colour I wanted, in a size I never, ever thought I'd fit into, for £10.00 from £25.00.

Like St Gladwys, I never get good bargains. I was very excited.

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:

[rant ON]

[Mad]
[/rant OFF]

The answer is *rounding*. If the tax is added to each item then the rounding adjustments for each of these can easily exceed the tax added to the total of all the taxable items.

It's one of my peeves about VAT.

If they are rounding fairly and not just up then it can also be less.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I think you may have misunderstood me, SS. The price you pay at the till is the ticket price plus 13% (or whatever the current rate is - it sometimes varies). It's even worse in restaurants, because you have to add the tax (13%) and a tip (15% is usual), so you're paying the cost plus over a quarter again.

We have rounding-up and down on top of that, as the 1¢ piece was taken out of circulation a few years ago, and although things might still be marked as $5.99 or whatever, that'll be rounded up or down if you're paying in cash, but not if you're paying by card.

Confusing or what??? [Confused]

I'm somewhat knackered - we were a bit short of sopranos today and I had to fill in. I'm not averse to singing the odd descant (in fact I enjoy it immensely), but singing the top line for a whole service wipes me out.

Fortunately the setting and anthems weren't too high, but once I'd sung the last hymn (which D. played up a tone from what was printed [Eek!] ) I was feeling decidedly bushed.

We're supposed to be having a friend come round for supper this evening, but the sudden thaw on top of very frozen ground has left her driveway almost impassable (that was one reason we were short-handed this morning). If she can get their ploughing/sanding people to come, she'll be coming; if not we'll postpone it until tomorrow.

I hope she can get out, as I've made a great big beef casserole ...

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From culinary enjoyment, which is always read about with pleasure, I'll have you know that I've rediscovered the Paul Temple detective mysteries from the Beeb.

Lots of them are here: Link. (There are also other sites.)

A bit of (supposedly) 1940s/1950s mysteries and romance is doing me the world of good! [Big Grin] One of the great things is that the more of those Francis Durbridge episodes you listen to, the more you can guess certain turns of the plot. Which is brilliant, and puts a huge grin on my face. Good ole Durbridge certainly had a nice sense of humour and irony.

Oh, and Steve, Paul's (ex-journalist) wife! She's just so independent and clever - although in as good as every series, she tends to get abducted, or near-abducted! Currently, she's playing dumb and talkative wifey in a shop to spread some rumours in a German village. We'll see who goes for the bait! [Big Grin]

Now, back to some of the last Mince Pies, mmmmh! These are Lyons brand, more from Walkers are good until March, but will probably not survive until then! Bon appetit!

[ 28. January 2018, 17:21: Message edited by: Wesley J ]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I have vague memories of the Paul Temple television series from the late 60s/early 70s, although I wasn't really old enough to appreciate it.

Our friend's drive remained impassable, so as she's busy tomorrow and Tuesday she's coming round on Wednesday instead. I hope we don't get any more silly weather before then ... [Eek!]

Not that the weather was all that bad today - it was a mild 7° - but the combination of thaw-water on very frozen ground was treacherous if the surfaces weren't treated.

D. and I had some of the casserole for supper (quality control, you understand [Biased] ), and it's going into the fridge where it should be happy enough until Wednesday.

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We're trying to declutter our freezer, preparatory to moving [Yipee] so last night's dinner was two separate portions of boeuf bourguignonne, mixed together and reheated *yum*

Mr. S, who was responsible for the above, said that the only thing they had in common was a) beef and b) red wine [Killing me]

This has the added benefit that I can throw away the old ice-cream tubs they were frozen in. Tonight we are using up the home-made pizza dough *double yum* [Smile]

Mrs. S, preparing for another trip to the Household Waste Amenity Recycling Point (or tip)

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

quote:
Originally posted by M.:
La Vie en Rouge, how are things in Paris? I'm thinking about the weather & the Seine rising.

M.

I haven’t seen much of the flooding. All well in my neck of the woods, although we should probably check our cellar’s dry just to make sure.

The main people affected are those living right next to the river whose cellars are definitely flooded, and the poor sods who travel to work on the line C – all the ventilation shafts have had to be closed to keep the water out of the tunnel and the line is consequently suspended right the way through the city centre.

This being Candlemas weekend, pancakes (in the British sense – crèpes if you prefer) were produced in the rouge household yesterday. A rather generous quantity having been made, there’s still some left if anyone wants some. We have no lemon, but sugar, salted caramel spread, strawberry jam and orange marmalade are available. There is no Nutella, however.

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Glad you are not flooded out LVER, and hope your cellar is still lovely and dry. I guess you won't be sampling the contents of it for a while.
We went for a walk today. We did the shortest version as heavy rain was predicted. We were sitting on the bus home being annoyed as the weather was looking lovely and we could have gone for the middling version of the walk instead. By the time we got back the sky was black and it started to rain hard just as we got in.Phew.
While digging out my walking boots, that have been languishing under the bed in a plastic bag since I wore them over Christmas I came across the bottle of damson gin we'd made to give to my mother in law, we'd been wondering where that had got to. Oh well that's her Mothering Sunday present sorted.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Did someone mention damson GIN??? **sigh**

I heard about the Nutella riots - I don't really understand, as I've never tasted it and although I like hazelnuts and CHOCOLATE, I'm not sure that they appeal together. Same principle as Reece's Pieces - I like peanut butter and I like CHOCOLATE, just not together.

We're not long back from a v. nice lunch with a friend who used to be D's organ scholar and is now the vicar of a parish about an hour and a half from here. Good food and good company - and he brought along a very nice young lady friend - I wonder if there may be romance in the air?

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016