homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Tea and biscuits or GIN and tonic? Britain 2018 (Page 6)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Tea and biscuits or GIN and tonic? Britain 2018
Pangolin Guerre
Shipmate
# 18686

- Posted      Profile for Pangolin Guerre   Email Pangolin Guerre   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
We were expected to know all the units of measurement up to a league - very useful when studying The Charge of the Light Brigade if you know how far is "half a league" (one-and-a-half miles, for those cursed to know only metric).

Of course, a knowledge of imperial measurement is still useful for students of horse racing.

Another problem is that metric units scan ill in poetry. Metric vs. metrics, as it were.
Posts: 758 | From: 30 arpents de neige | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:

I observed a family (Mum, Dad, two teenage girls) arguing VERY LOUDLY about the correct size of ironing-board cover they needed...

'You said 30 centimetres! (or whatever)'
'NO - YOU said 25 centimetres!!!'
'THAT'S TOO SHORT - we MUST have 30 centimetres'...

That's a ...rather small ironing board [Biased]
Width! .... Not length.

(I presume). [Cool]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Probably - I didn't stay around to find out!

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a tiny ironing board, one of these. I do so little ironing there’s no need for a full size one cluttering up the place.

[Angel]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have both a sleeve board and an ironing board - which are both used when dressmaking and ironing shirts and jackets. Although the sleeve board is currently in the bathroom, where all things that smell go to be sorted out, covered with bicarbonate of soda, in the hope that I will be able to clean it.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We were supposed to be going to Lyon for a birthday party (about 1.5 hours drive away) but it's snowed quite heavily. Although the roads are clear, we are happy to have the excuse not to go. Coupled with "my illness" Mr D has texted Pierre to say we won't be there. Huge relief.

As we would be one of 50-odd people, and only know 2 of them, plus French liking very late-night revels, neither of us really wanted to go, but neither of us had admitted it to the other until yesterday evening!

Instead it's home made pizza, and "The Last Leg" on catch-up. A much more preferable evening for 2 introverted English!

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, 'my illness', or 'my condition', do have their uses!

[Two face] and [Votive]

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We had a very nice feed at The Back Six last night. Although the place was rather noisy (it was, after all, a bar full of golfists) and we were right underneath one of the speakers, making the music a bit "in-your-face", the food was very good and the service efficient and friendly.

The way the Dine around Freddy thing works is that the participating eateries publish a short menu (two or at most three choices for each course) priced at $31 (about £17) so you can decide which one you want to go to in advance. As they were doing lamb-shanks, there really was no contest.

We were on to a winner right from the start - we happened upon Happy Hour, meaning that the wine was ridiculously cheap - between us we had three glasses of Malbec for $13 (£7.50). I've been in restaurants where they'd charge more than that for one.

D., as is his wont, started with the soup, which was squash, coconut and maple, and although it was rather sweet, it was also quite subtle. I had fried paneer with leaves, tomatoes and lemon dressing, which was lovely.

We both had the lamb-shanks, which were done to a turn, and served with very good mashed potatoes, root veggies and a lovely jus-type sauce.

We finished with puddings: pecan pie for me and white cake with dulce de leche for him, both v. good. We probably wouldn't have bothered with pudding if it hadn't been part of the deal, but we enjoyed them nonetheless.

I think it's somewhere we'll go again - the whole thing came to under $90 (about £52), and the place is only about 10 minutes' drive from the château.

[ 03. February 2018, 17:46: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Lamb shank for lunch at the Palace today, with some nice mint Sauce to go with it.

ION, a member of the congregation this morning delighted in warning me that sn*w is forecast for later today..... [Help]

IJ

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll be right over with a bottle of red, BF. [Smile]

The sn*w that we got this morning is apparently going to turn to rain later - lots of rain. While this is normally something to be welcomed, as it does help to clear what's already there and you don't have to shovel it, large quantities of H2O on top of sn*w on top of ground that's frozen too hard to be able to absorb it is No Fun At All, and horrible to drive or walk on.

This could have fairly adverse effects on Evensong, as three members of our already-depleted choir who live out in the country have said they won't be coming back this afternoon.

I seem to have survived (and actually quite enjoyed) singing soprano this morning; whether my voice will continue to co-operate until the end of the afternoon is yet to be seen.

[Eek!]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pork in cider this evening. It was delicious.

And thanks to Dormouse for the reminder that I have yet to catch up on The Last Leg. Next week's program should be interesting do to Adam and Alex having played disabled rugby league this weekend on opposing sides.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Thanks for the bottle of red, piglet.

Very passable - not bad at all!

No sn*w yet, but Ukland is duly Braced....

[Help]

IJ

--------------------

mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Snowed on me yesterday, crawling around a rather mouldy scrap car in a breakers' yard in Burnley. Uurrkk.

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Serves you right for seeking after selfish pleasure... [Razz]

IJ

--------------------

Fredegund
Shipmate
# 17952

- Posted      Profile for Fredegund   Email Fredegund   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(it was, after all, a bar full of golfists) Piglet

I obviously haven't had enough coffee yet - I read that as a bar full of goldfish. Couldn't understand why they would be loud.
[Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
Pax et bonum

Posts: 117 | From: Shakespeare's County | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is seriously parky here. A few flakes of snow this morning. It makes a change from rain at least (the river hasn’t gone down any) [Roll Eyes]

The upside is that a good cold snap – especially if it’s dry and cold, which it is now – would go a long way to killing off all manner of evil viruses that are circulating. It might also do something to reduce the mosquito population this summer.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

A light sprinkling of sn*w this morning (think icing-sugar), but it's mostly gone now.

How you D.s, piglets, and all, put up with feet of the stuff, I know not.

Time for some SOUP.

IJ

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A cold night plus the possibility of snow later leads me to believe the buses won't run tomorrow. WTF is it with our buses? It is Wales FFS, there are lots of hills and our drivers ought to have some idea, but after all these years I do wonder. I don't think any of them could have coped with Bannerdown Hill, (off the old A4, east of Bath) which is a mile-plus of 1:12) and that was with gutless fifty-year old double-deckers.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The weather is utterly baffling. I was in the library café earlier watching the light sprinkling of snowflakes outside while trying to shield my eyes from the sun. It's windy until it's not and dry until it rains. [Ultra confused]

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
... How you D.s, piglets, and all, put up with feet of the stuff, I know not ...

You get used to it, BF, although you don't have to like it.

The rain (which I don't think was quite as plentiful as was forecast) has certainly made a dent in the snow, but as it's to go back down to -14° tonight, it won't be a big enough one - and there's more on the way on Wednesday night. [Frown]

Evensong actually went very well - two of the three who thought they might not get back actually did, so we weren't quite as short-handed as we might have been. I still had to sing soprano, but the Almighty must have been on my side, as I managed it without too many squeaks.

I also got a few really nice comments about my reading of the second lesson: "where's that lovely accent from? Glasgow?

[Killing me]

--------------------

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lo, it snoweth muchly. Not really sticking at this stage but it’s forecast to keep falling until late afternoon at least.

Given that the roads here are gridlocked as soon as there as there are three drops of rain, the rush hour is going to be SLOW.

--------------------

Dormouse

# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have new neighbours! This may not seem very exciting, but next door to us is a Hotel/Restaurant. For several years this has been run by the Most Unsuitable Man Ever to be in the hospitality business. He is racist and has threatened to beat up a friend of ours; he accused us of not paying our taxes while employing "yellow faces" (his words) on the black to do building work. Slowly he lost practically all local clientele

Anyway - he has gone and a nice couple have moved in. Opening day was yesterday, and we had a very nice 4 course Menu du Jour for 13,50€ So much meat that two of us couldn't finish it - so I snaffled it for the Poor Cats.

We hope that the locals will return & support this new ownership. The food was good, so there's hope.

--------------------
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That’s great news Dormouse - spread the word!

Snow here, the fine stuff which sticks.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Four courses for €13.50? That's a gift!

It looks as if we may be crossing the Pond sooner rather that later - my dad, who turned 93 today, has taken a turn for the worse and they're talking about "end-of-life" strategies (see my post on the prayer thread).

We can ill afford it, but we'll have to try and find the means somehow.

In other news, I've got a job interview on Thursday. [Eek!]

It never rains ...

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] Piglet and Daddy Pig [Votive]

Good luck with the job interview anyway, Piglet [Smile]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry to hear about your father, piglet. But good luck with the interview on Thursday.

Light icing of snow here, which wasn't there on my way home last night, just a sprinkling on grass and roofs. I came back from Five Guys Named Moe at about 11pm, staged in a specially built pop-up theatre at Marble Arch - so basically a dressed up circus tent with glorified portacabin bar, festival toilets and a brilliant decoration job. The show was fun, loosely stringing a story together around Louis Jordan's greatest hits, with a lot of energetic song and dance numbers from the tiny cast.

I went with a work colleague from my last job after trying to meet up for a while. Apparently the job advertisement which ended on Monday was my old job: the person who took over from me doesn't want it either. (My fellow Guide leader flagged up the ad to me and got a response of: I've just escaped from there, no way.)

I also saw a recording of Domestic Science on Monday with someone else who attends BBC recordings as my daughter is not repeating tube trips for a bit. We tried to see Shake the Chains on Saturday, which was kiboshed by someone getting on the tube, sitting next to my daughter and eating a nut covered cupcake. Cue my daughter stopping breathing. We avoided a hospital visit, just, but saw two songs at the gig and heard three outside in the lobby. Next time I will do what I should have done, which is hit the passenger alarm at the next station, jab my daughter with the Epipen and ask for an ambulance. (Using the Epipen means an immediate hospital visit and she's not safe to get there under her own steam, bus, cab ...)

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

A whole four inches of snow here and… pandemonium. I could get quite hellish on this subject, but suffice to say that a significant number of colleagues have not made it into the office today.

For some reason, despite the fact that it was snowing hard and settling at 6 pm yesterday, and forecast to continue all night, the Town Hall felt no need to grit the roads. Consequently all bus services are suspended.

Snow is the death of chic. It looks quite strange to see all the Parisians out in their various ski boots, hiking boots (that was me) and wellies. The less well equipped are wearing trainers and uggs, and have wet feet.

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hope your daughter is recovering CK, that sounds scary.

Sorry to hear about your father Piglet, but good luck with the interview.

LVER - glad you have sensible footwear. A friend once told me about meeting someone wearing stilettos on a snowy, icy day, who thought they were a sensible option as the heels would dig in the snow [Confused]

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

[Killing me]

The triumph of hope over actuality!

Another light sprinkling of sn*w here earlier, but fortunately I find that I have no need to leave the Palace today, other than to fetch in coal and logs for the stove.

I am, therefore, improving the Shining Hour by listening to classical piano music, as interpreted by this young lady.

IJ

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sarasa:

LVER - glad you have sensible footwear. A friend once told me about meeting someone wearing stilettos on a snowy, icy day, who thought they were a sensible option as the heels would dig in the snow [Confused]

Melania felt they were appropriate for visiting flood victims. Maybe she figured the high heels would keep her feet out of the water.
[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

O, bless her. At least she wasn't wearing socks, which would indeed be uncomfortable if wet.

Without wishing to sound sexist or dirty-old-mannish, I do admire all you ladies what can gracefully walk or dance in high heels without falling over!

There must be quite an Art involved...

[Overused]

IJ

--------------------

Celtic Knotweed
Shipmate
# 13008

- Posted      Profile for Celtic Knotweed   Email Celtic Knotweed   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
It looks as if we may be crossing the Pond sooner rather that later - my dad, who turned 93 today, has taken a turn for the worse and they're talking about "end-of-life" strategies (see my post on the prayer thread).

We can ill afford it, but we'll have to try and find the means somehow.

In other news, I've got a job interview on Thursday. [Eek!]

It never rains ...

((Piglet)) From me and from Sandemaniac. [Votive] Fingers crossed for the job interview.

--------------------
My little sister is riding 100k round London at night to raise money for cancer research donations here if you feel so inclined.

Posts: 664 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Thanks for all the good wishes, folks - much appreciated. My sister went up to Orkney today, and will be keeping me informed of what's what.

La Vie, you've hit it on the head about chicness v. snow. It's been snowing here since mid-afternoon (it's now about 8:30 in the evening) and set to continue until midnight, leaving us with somewhere between 6 inches and a foot of the stuff.

This does not bode well for (a) actually being able to get to the interview - we'll need to dig out the Pigletmobile and probably shift a whole load of snow that'll have been ploughed up at the end of the drive; and (b) looking smart. What the heck do you wear if you want to both look smart and not have your legs frozen solid?

I seem to have two options: a skirt or dress with knee-length boots, or trousers with ankle boots that are not the smartest. Having said that, this is Canada, where sense tends to prevail over style when it comes to winter clothing.

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

piglet, I hope the job interview went/is going/will go well (delete as appropriate).

Sensible Canadians, to sacrifice style for comfort in Interesting Weather!

A pleasant, milder day here, with a modicum of hazy Sun-Shine. The church grounds are bustin' out all over, with daffodils, bluebells, celandines, primroses etc., popping up out of the grass in merry English spring fashion.

We Shall Pay For It Later, You Mark My Words.

[Ultra confused]

IJ

--------------------

Dormouse

# 5954

Wishing you well Piglet x

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our garden is very soggy, with just a couple of pots of snowdrops and iris reticulata in bloom.

Yesterday I was in Pembrokeshire and there was a sprinkling of snow on the beach.

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

quote:
We Shall Pay For It Later, You Mark My Words.

It Won't Stay Like This For Long.
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Will you hold your wheesht about your spring flowers? We got about a foot of snow by the time it gave up last night. [Frown]

D. has been quite angelic re: snow-shovelling; he went out quite late last night (while it was still snowing) and cleared the path and a bit of the drive; it was quite well-covered again by the morning, but it was nice soft, fluffy snow that's relatively easy to shift, and it was a beautiful morning with hardly any wind, so getting the car out wasn't too bad. And I think our friend with the snow-blower had a go at it while we were out (BLESS HIM!).

The interview went off OK (in as much as you can judge these things); the only trouble is, the hours are fixed at 8:30 - 4:30 on alternate weekends, which is a total pain from my singing point of view.

I'd still take it if it were offered (they had other people to interview), but wouldn't it just be my luck that a job would come up where I had to work on the one day of the week that I didn't want to? Also, being only 16 hours every other week, I wouldn't get rich on it (although it would still be more than the zilch I'm getting now).

[ 09. February 2018, 22:48: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I come bearing news and a request for prayer for our own Uncle Pete. Some of you may know that he was taken into hospital with pneumonia. He is still in hospital but they have now diagnosed colonic cancer. He is due laparoscopic surgery on Saturday in the hope that no further intervention will be necessary.
He has family living locally and supporting him in hospital.

Please remember him in your prayers.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Oh feck - very sorry to hear that.

{{{Uncle Pete}}} [Votive]

--------------------

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Damn it
[Votive]

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Prayers ascending for Uncle Pete.
Annoying about the hours of that job Piglet, but hope you get it if you want it.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
May Uncle Pete be given all he needs as he needs it, and prayers for those gathering around him too. It doesn't sound too good.

BL (Bracing ourselves for another heatwave here)

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] Pete xx
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

# 5954

[Votive] Uncle Pete.

--------------------

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(((Uncle Pete)))

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] Uncle Pete
Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

[Votive] Uncle Pete

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Amen.

Updates, please, as and when.

IJ

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Prayers ascending for Uncle Pete here too.

I've had a very enjoyable, if somewhat snowy, birthday.

We didn't have too much trouble getting out to have lunch with a couple of friends (v. nice soup, a sort of minced meat pie thingy and wicked triple chocolate cake in my case), then home for a spot of Quality Bear Time™ and then out for supper at the home of a couple in the choir, which was most couth* despite their wee dog occasionally trying to eat me.

* I assume couth is the opposite of uncouth, and means very nice indeed.

Having stopped snowing for a while, it seems to have started again, so getting about tomorrow might be rather more exciting than we'd like. [Eek!]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016