homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's business   » The Styx   » The 10 Commandments (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The 10 Commandments
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Shall I let on that Simon is about to go away for a few days, or will that throw everyone into mass confusion, and cause the Ship to sink? [Eek!]

IRL Simon looks nothing like the picture in his profile. I believe we have an impostor on board.... The person you think is your captain, I hereby unmask as -

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh! <thunk>

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
hall I let on that Simon is about to go away for a few days

To some of us Simon often seems far away. About 8000 miles away, in my case.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ruth, it has been vouchsafe to me that soon you knwo the joy of being closer to S-m-n.

Rejoice sister.

bb

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If simon wasnt real then someone by the same name would have to have been invented....
Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lurker McLurker™

Ship's stowaway
# 1384

- Posted      Profile for Lurker McLurker™     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by sophs:
sophs - hero worship on demand

Cool.

Can you worship me next?

--------------------
Just War Theory- a perversion of morality?

Posts: 5661 | From: Raxacoricofallapatorius | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gremlin
Ship's Cryptanalyst
# 129

- Posted      Profile for Gremlin         Edit/delete post 
I have a Revelation for you all. I have seen the Simon, Himself. I have met with Him, and spoken with Him, and my faith is all the greater for it.

And he didst speak these words, 'Do you believe because you see me? How happy are those who believe without seeing me!'

Have faith my friends [Votive]

Gremlin

[Devil]

--------------------
Too many freaks, not enough circuses.
Ahhh...I see the screw-up fairy has visited us again...
Oh I get it... like humour... but different.

Posts: 5221 | From: Isle of Man | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Peronel

The typo slayer
# 569

- Posted      Profile for Peronel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I, too, have seen the Simon.

Not only that, but he hath bought me a cup of tea.

Ohhhh great was the day when I drank tea with the Captain!

--------------------
Lord, I have sinned, and mine iniquity.
Deserves this hell; yet Lord deliver me.

Posts: 2367 | From: A self-inflicted exile | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
He did eat the food that I had prepared, and didst favourably comment upon the chocolate dipped strawberries.

bb

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace*

Shipmate
# 4754

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace*   Email Amazing Grace*       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
hall I let on that Simon is about to go away for a few days

To some of us Simon often seems far away. About 8000 miles away, in my case.
He'll reduce the distance to about two thousand miles away within the month.

Not that it helps very much, I know.

Charlotte

--------------------
.sig on vacation

Posts: 2594 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead*

Ship’s Photographer
# 1143

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead*     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by babybear:
He did eat the food that I had prepared, and didst favourably comment upon the chocolate dipped strawberries.

You didst recognise him in the breaking of chocolate?

Unless I see the marks of the keyboard on his fingers, and poke my fingers in his eyes, and buy him a pint I will not believe.

--------------------
Benedikt Gott Geschickt!

Posts: 7082 | From: Turbolift Control. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
(OK, that's St Gremlin, St Peronel, St babybear, and St "Doubting" Chapelhead. I wonder if the rest of the apostles will post?)

But no one has ever met Erin. Perhaps hers is the face of terrifying glory, which no man may look upon and live?

[ 08. February 2004, 18:30: Message edited by: jlg ]

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So, who is Mary?
Posts: 6963 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead*

Ship’s Photographer
# 1143

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead*     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tortuf:
So, who is Mary?

We need to find a virgin.

At least one of those advertises on the boards, I believe, but I'm not sure if he is quite right for the role. [Biased]

--------------------
Benedikt Gott Geschickt!

Posts: 7082 | From: Turbolift Control. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Not just any Mary will do sweetie.
Posts: 6963 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

Ship's backstabbing bastard
# 3631

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine*   Email Sine Nomine*       Edit/delete post 
Who are you calling Mary? [Paranoid]

Or should that be "Who are you calling, Mary?"

Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

Gender issue aside, you and I both lost one of the prime qualifications some time ago.
Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

- Posted      Profile for Sarkycow   Email Sarkycow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have debated whether to stand up and be counted here. And lo, did a message appear on my computer from the great Simon. And he did command unto me that I should do the tasks to which he had appointed me. And I responded promptly and forthwith:
"Simon, I've told you already, we'll sort it when you get back."
And he did smile and say that he was well pleased with me.

And he sent me a Christmas present - does that count? [Big Grin]

Sarkycow

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.”

Anselm
Shipmate
# 4499

- Posted      Profile for Anselm   Email Anselm   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
But lo, I am fearful that if I were to go to the house of the Lord Simon and asked to be let in, he would say to me,
"Depart from me, I never knew you."

Stalking is an arrestable offense.

--------------------
carpe diem domini
...seize the day to play dominoes?

Posts: 2544 | From: The Scriptorium | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post 
Guys... while this is all hilarious and everything, this is a permanent thread, and as such really needs to be on topic. Feel free to move this discussion to Heaven.

--------------------
Commandment number one: shut the hell up.

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doohickie
Shipmate
# 7817

- Posted      Profile for Doohickie   Author's homepage   Email Doohickie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Okay, back to topic, then.

Amorya's sigfile states

quote:
Will you give me some money?
I'm making a trip to Ukraine this summer as part of Link Ukraine and we need cash!

There is a hot link in the real sigfile. Isn't this kind of solicitation prohibited under the commandment banning advertising and spam?

[ 20. July 2004, 17:10: Message edited by: Paul_H ]

--------------------
I am the Bishop Formerly Known As Paul_H.
Click here to help a young widow and her children from my church

Posts: 336 | From: Fort Worth, TX, USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Belisarius
Lord Bountiful of Admin (Emeritus) Delights
# 32

- Posted      Profile for Belisarius   Email Belisarius   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In general, Commandment 9 pertains to the posts themselves and the signature may include any link that doesn't violate the spirit of Commandment 7.

ETA: Or Commandment 1 (done on a case-by-case basis in response to complaints)

[ 20. July 2004, 18:07: Message edited by: Belisarius ]

--------------------
Animals may be Evolution's Icing, but Bacteria are the Cake.
Andrew Knoll

Posts: 8080 | From: New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doohickie
Shipmate
# 7817

- Posted      Profile for Doohickie   Author's homepage   Email Doohickie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just trying to understand.... Why are sigfiles exempt from the advertising ban?

--------------------

Belisarius
Lord Bountiful of Admin (Emeritus) Delights
# 32

- Posted      Profile for Belisarius   Email Belisarius   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In part because, if part of a legitimate post, they are incidental; the poster's emphasis is on meaningful interaction.

It may not be the best analogy, but it's also partly the difference between having a Bridal Registry and saying "you will buy this for our wedding."

[grammar]

[ 20. July 2004, 18:21: Message edited by: Belisarius ]

--------------------
Animals may be Evolution's Icing, but Bacteria are the Cake.
Andrew Knoll

Posts: 8080 | From: New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doohickie
Shipmate
# 7817

Poor analogy.

So, if I make a relevant post to a thread, then ask people to buy my book, that's okay?

I'm kind of new here and don't know the evolution of the policy, but it seems a bit daft to me.

--------------------

Lurker McLurker™

Ship's stowaway
# 1384

- Posted      Profile for Lurker McLurker™     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If you are asking people in your sig, yes.

[ 20. July 2004, 18:39: Message edited by: McLürkér ]

--------------------
Just War Theory- a perversion of morality?

Posts: 5661 | From: Raxacoricofallapatorius | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
IIRC, the policy evolved over time as a way to deal with shipmates requesting permission to start threads for a favorite charity or a church event or whatever was important to them, which put the Hosts/Admins in the position of trying to decide where to draw the line between legitimate charity event and promotion of something commercial or purely personal. Having people put links in their sigs lets anyone who might be interested get further information without actually having a thread and discussion/sales pitch which would violate Commandment #9.

So it provides a bit of a safety valve, reducing the temptation to slip in the occasional irrelevant (or semi-relevant) link in the body of one's post, and allowing the hosts to immediately deal with such links. (Yes, hosts click on every link to make sure it works and is appropriate!)

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doohickie
Shipmate
# 7817

Well, that kind of makes sense...

--------------------

Scot

Deck hand
# 2095

- Posted      Profile for Scot   Email Scot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Here's another way to look at it.

The Powers That Be charge for advertising in order to help keep this site afloat. However, they have benevolently decided to allow shipmates to display some types of advertising in their sigs. Wasn't that nice of them? Thank you, Powers That Be!

--------------------
“Here, we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it.” - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 9515 | From: Southern California | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chad Lyon
Apprentice
# 7621

- Posted      Profile for Chad Lyon   Email Chad Lyon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Erin,

I have been accused tonight of "trolling", an accusation which, from the information I have been given, is fully justified.

However, for some reason, when I tried to access the Ship's information about trolling under the 10 commandments link, my stupic PC came back with a server-down message.

Can you please post me a copy of this on this message board or something? Thanks.

You probably think I'm an ass still pursuing this issue, but I really want to make sure that I don't do this again!! I'm all for lively and on-the-edge debate, but the last thing I want to do is upset people.

Thanks.

Chad

--------------------
So long and thanks for all the fish!
Lord have mercy,
Chad x

Posts: 34 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Scot

Deck hand
# 2095

- Posted      Profile for Scot   Email Scot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Chad, if the pages linked in the 10 Commandments stay down, we'll replace the links. In the meantime, click here for a pretty good explanation of trolling as the term is used around here.

--------------------
“Here, we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it.” - Thomas Jefferson

Chad Lyon
Apprentice
# 7621

- Posted      Profile for Chad Lyon   Email Chad Lyon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks

--------------------
So long and thanks for all the fish!
Lord have mercy,
Chad x

Posts: 34 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
R.A.M.
Shipmate
# 7390

- Posted      Profile for R.A.M.   Email R.A.M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Having seen a few invocations of the 10C's I realise I am still abit vague about them - they only make sense after being used by someone. Can I suggest a few offending
threads be put in limbo and linked too from the Commandments page as examples of different offenses?

--------------------
Formerly Real Ale Methodist
Back after prolonged absence...

Posts: 1584 | From: (Sunshine on) Leith | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Scot

Deck hand
# 2095

You're overthinking it, Real Ale Methodist. If you just avoid being an asshole, everything will be 99.8% peachy. The other 0.2% of the time, the hosts will let you know that there's a problem. If you listen to them, things will be 100% peachy.

It's only when somebody starts intentionally violating rules that the fur starts to fly. Accidents and misunderstandings are lovingly and gently corrected. More or less.

--------------------

FatMac

Ship's Macintosh
# 2914

- Posted      Profile for FatMac   Author's homepage   Email FatMac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Scot:
Accidents and misunderstandings are lovingly and gently corrected.

Someone's been watching the Hellhosts in action! [Biased]

--------------------
Do not beware the slippery slope - it is where faith resides.
Do not avoid the grey areas - they are where God works.

Posts: 1706 | From: Sydney | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Miss Pixxie Styx
Shipmate
# 12956

- Posted      Profile for Miss Pixxie Styx   Author's homepage   Email Miss Pixxie Styx   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am guessing I violated the commandment of don't be easily offended. I am a highly sensitive person. Is that unacceptable to this community? I strive to put principles before personalities. [Confused]
Posts: 54 | From: California | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Duo Seraphim
Ubi caritas et amor
# 256

- Posted      Profile for Duo Seraphim   Email Duo Seraphim   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Miss Pixxie Styx:
I am guessing I violated the commandment of don't be easily offended. I am a highly sensitive person. Is that unacceptable to this community? I strive to put principles before personalities. [Confused]

My suggestion would be to chill, hang about for a bit, look around the boards and get a feel for the place. Each of the boards has its own tone.

--------------------
Embrace the serious whack. It's the Catholic thing to do. IngoB
The Messiah, Peace be upon him, said to his Apostles: 'Verily, this world is merely a bridge, so cross over it, and do not make it your abode.' (Bihar al-anwar xiv, 319)

Posts: 7952 | From: Sydney Australia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Being "highly sensitive" certainly isn't going to help you. One learns early on to develop a thick skin, stick to the friendlier boards, or find another discussion board.

In addition, you are not to bring problems from other forums/websites to these boards. I don't want to read another post from you about who is stalking you on the Internet. This is not negotiable.

Erin
Community Editor

--------------------
Commandment number one: shut the hell up.

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Miss Pixxie Styx
Shipmate
# 12956

- Posted      Profile for Miss Pixxie Styx   Author's homepage   Email Miss Pixxie Styx   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Duo Seraphim:
quote:

My suggestion would be to chill, hang about for a bit, look around the boards and get a feel for the place. Each of the boards has its own tone.
I waited a month to post after I signed up.
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Another friendly suggestion is to post to existing threads for a while before starting a new thread, especially on what was bound to be a controversial topic. Sort of like going to a cocktail party where you don't know anyone -- join an ongoing discussion to start.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Hiro's Leap

Shipmate
# 12470

- Posted      Profile for Hiro's Leap   Email Hiro's Leap   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Miss Pixxie Styx,

Here's another top tip. One commandment that it's easy for the unaware to break is the Sixth:
quote:
6. Respect the Ship's crew

If you disagree with a member of the Ship's crew (in their official capacity), raise the issue in the Styx, our board for in-house stuff.

Generally a host or other admin posts as an ordinary Shipmate, and so arguing or disagreeing with them is fine (depending on the board). But as soon as they sign a post with their official Ship of Fools title, that's it - no protests. Your only options are to shut up, or raise an objection here in the Styx.

(Personally, I think it's too easy for newcomers to miss the distinction between someone posting as a staff member and as a Shipmate. Some discussion groups reserve red text for official stuff, which makes life a bit clearer.)

Posts: 3418 | From: UK, OK | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
how about a blinking red light and sirens?

the admin won't let me post pictures of pigs being slaughtered in the body of my host posts, unfortunately, so we have to go for the standard subtlety and hope the newbies get this far with basic literacy.

(not arguing, H's Leap, but I just don't see what more we can do.)

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Miss Pixxie Styx
Shipmate
# 12956

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
Another friendly suggestion is to post to existing threads for a while before starting a new thread, especially on what was bound to be a controversial topic. Sort of like going to a cocktail party where you don't know anyone -- join an ongoing discussion to start.

Except I don't go to cocktail parties nor am I interested in those types of discussions.
Miss Pixxie Styx
Shipmate
# 12956

quote:
Originally posted by Hiro's Leap:
Miss Pixxie Styx,

Here's another top tip. One commandment that it's easy for the unaware to break is the Sixth:
quote:
6. Respect the Ship's crew

If you disagree with a member of the Ship's crew (in their official capacity), raise the issue in the Styx, our board for in-house stuff.

Generally a host or other admin posts as an ordinary Shipmate, and so arguing or disagreeing with them is fine (depending on the board). But as soon as they sign a post with their official Ship of Fools title, that's it - no protests. Your only options are to shut up, or raise an objection here in the Styx.

(Personally, I think it's too easy for newcomers to miss the distinction between someone posting as a staff member and as a Shipmate. Some discussion groups reserve red text for official stuff, which makes life a bit clearer.)

I don't believe I have gotten into any arguments with any staff members when they have spoken as such. I simply don't like the patronizing attitude of many of the ship members, but I'll deal, I'll be all right, they are no different than any other ship of fools on or off the internet. I expected human kindness and mercy and justice to abound when I entered the church. Not so. Oh well. So I am a cynic now. Such is life.
The Bede's American Successor

Curmudgeon-in-Training
# 5042

- Posted      Profile for The Bede's American Successor   Author's homepage   Email The Bede's American Successor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

Except I don't go to cocktail parties nor am I interested in those types of discussions.
Have you ever walked into a room of strangers before? Work? Church? Anywhere that is friendly? Just translate to that situation.

It does help around here to be adaptable and to think outside your previous experiences. There are people posting around here from pretty much all continents. We don't think alike. We use words in different ways. The benefits of taking this effort pays off in the long run.

--------------------
This was the iniquity of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had pride of wealth and food in plenty, comfort and ease, and yet she never helped the poor and the wretched.

—Ezekiel 16.49

Posts: 6079 | From: The banks of Possession Sound | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Miss Pixxie Styx
Shipmate
# 12956

quote:
Originally posted by The Bede's American Successor:
quote:
quote:

Have you ever walked into a room of strangers before? Work? Church? Anywhere that is friendly? Just translate to that situation.

It does help around here to be adaptable and to think outside your previous experiences. There are people posting around here from pretty much all continents. We don't think alike. We use words in different ways. The benefits of taking this effort pays off in the long run.

Your question displays an attitude I like dislike immensely. As I said, the overall tone of this community is one of sarcasm. Not all fools on this ship are disrespectful, but the majority of them are. I have no problem walking into a room of strangers anywhere and making myself and everyone else right at home. I hope you can adjust your attitude towards me, its very unpleasant.

Curmudgeon-in-Training
# 5042

- Posted      Profile for The Bede's American Successor   Author's homepage   Email The Bede's American Successor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by The Bede's American Successor:
quote:
quote:

Your question displays an attitude I like dislike immensely. As I said, the overall tone of this community is one of sarcasm. Not all fools on this ship are disrespectful, but the majority of them are. I have no problem walking into a room of strangers anywhere and making myself and everyone else right at home. I hope you can adjust your attitude towards me, its very unpleasant.
You asked a question. It was answered. You replied in a way that suggested you didn't have the background to understand what was being suggested to you. I suggested other ways to understand that answer. You suggested I was using sarcasm.

You might try to give some of us the benefit of the doubt when attributing motives or intent. Please.

--------------------
This was the iniquity of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had pride of wealth and food in plenty, comfort and ease, and yet she never helped the poor and the wretched.

—Ezekiel 16.49

Posts: 6079 | From: The banks of Possession Sound | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

So, by metaphor, you're saying that you've looked over all the hundreds of conversations on the Ship that we're eagerly involved in and deemed none of them interesting to you. The natural response, in your eyes, is to introduce conversations we don't appear to be interested in. Fascinating approach, really.

quote:
I expected human kindness and mercy and justice to abound when I entered the church. Not so.
Hint: This is not a church.
Hell, many of us would be appalled at the idea of being considered "christian".

Yes, my tone is not respectful to your contributions thus far. You don't need to point it out - everybody else can read too.

And please feel free to exempt me from Bede's request for not automatically assuming the worst intentions. Let's not kid ourselves.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Miss Pixxie Styx
Shipmate
# 12956

quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
quote:

So, by metaphor, you're saying that you've looked over all the hundreds of conversations on the Ship that we're eagerly involved in and deemed none of them interesting to you. The natural response, in your eyes, is to introduce conversations we don't appear to be interested in. Fascinating approach, really.

quote:
I expected human kindness and mercy and justice to abound when I entered the church. Not so.
Hint: This is not a church.
Hell, many of us would be appalled at the idea of being considered "christian".

Yes, my tone is not respectful to your contributions thus far. You don't need to point it out - everybody else can read too.

And please feel free to exempt me from Bede's request for not automatically assuming the worst intentions. Let's not kid ourselves.

Your judgment of me is wrong and I refuse to engage with you. I can point out whatever I want. I wasn't calling this group a church. I wouldn't be here if I wasn't a Christian. I find you to be one of the most despicable people here yet. I have participated on the despair and self-harm thread. I find it interesting. Again, your analogy is off the mark. I don't find cocktail party conversation interesting, so that was a bad parallel to draw. If you are looking for an argument, look somewhere else. If authority is not allowed to be questioned here, what is the point?
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I find you [RooK] to be one of the most despicable people here yet.

Flattery will get you everywhere. I'm not sure when someone last said something so nice about RooK.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Curmudgeon-in-Training
# 5042

quote:
Your judgment of me is wrong and I refuse to engage with you.

Too late. You already did engage RooK with this post.

Please make up your mind. Are you here to engage other people or the enrage them? Or, just to try to confuse us by saying you won't do something and then do it?

--------------------

—Ezekiel 16.49

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Unfeature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016