homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's business   » The Styx   » The 10 Commandments (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The 10 Commandments
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think you would need to put it in your signature.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Putting a link to such a site in your sig would be no problem at all.

If there is an ongoing discussion on one of the existing threads where you could post an on-topic response that includes an alternative means of marking the funeral of Mrs Thatcher, then you might be able to squeeze in a link as part of that discussion. We don't like people starting a tangent or opening a new thread with the obvious express purpose of pushing a pet subject, but a productive contribution to an existing discussion that includes a link to the site you mentioned should be OK.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks, will do.
Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

- Posted      Profile for Mark Betts   Email Mark Betts   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Perhaps I should state my case here, as I've been accused of "flame-baiting" by Barnabas62 for this remark in a Purgatory thread:

quote:
Originally posted by Mark Betts:

Now, I'll just sit back and make myself comfortable while the feathers fly... [Devil]

IMO "while the feathers fly" is no different to saying "handbags away" about a scuffle at a football match. Such a remark is usually aimed at MEN, and usually intended to be humourous rather than offensive.

I can honestly say that I never intended to offend anyone, so if I have I'm sorry.

Have I avoided the plank this time?

--------------------
"We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution. Each of us is the result of a thought of God. Each of us is willed, each of us is loved, each of us is necessary."

Posts: 2080 | From: Leicester | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

- Posted      Profile for Mark Betts   Email Mark Betts   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If the remark is deemed to be offensive, please explain to me how this is so - that way I'll be able to avoid such instances in the future.

Contrary to what some might think, I don't wish to be kicked off the ship. There are many on here who are worlds apart from where I stand, but still a few others whose views I very much value and which help me on my journey through life.

--------------------
"We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution. Each of us is the result of a thought of God. Each of us is willed, each of us is loved, each of us is necessary."

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The remark was called as "flame baiting", that doesn't mean it's necessarily offensive.

These are discussion forums, Purgatory is our space for serious debate (yes, really). Posting something with the sole intention of seeing how people react is pretty close to the dictionary definition of trolling. That is covered in Commandment 1 under the general rule "don't be a jerk".

Baranabas also picked you up on this post. Posting views that you think others might hold, especially when those views are inflamatory, is another form of jerkishness. We want to hear and discuss what you believe, what you think ... not what some straw person you posit might believe. If there are people who actually believe that, then they're free to register and share their own views, and defend them if they can.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
There are many on here who are worlds apart from where I stand, but still a few others whose views I very much value and which help me on my journey through life.

Funny thing is, the longer I stayed, the more those two groups converged.

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

quote:
Originally posted by Patdys:
Funny thing is, the longer I stayed, the more those two groups converged.

Hmmmm - that's interesting, I guess it depends to some degree on where you stand in the first place.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
IMO "while the feathers fly" is no different to saying "handbags away" about a scuffle at a football match. Such a remark is usually aimed at MEN, and usually intended to be humourous rather than offensive.

I can honestly say that I never intended to offend anyone, so if I have I'm sorry.

Have I avoided the plank this time?

Stirring up trouble and getting out the popcorn to watch the fight is not a debate, it's jerkish and trollish behaviour imo.

Plus "I was only joking" is the classic defense of the bully. (This was not a bullying OP imo - but if you say that phrase often then you need to self-reflect a bit, I reckon)

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

FYI: that sounds like a British version of the apparently common occurence of male coaches referring to their male team as "girls", with a derogatory meaning. As an insult. I don't know how guys feel about it, but it's classic misogynism.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I didn't think the issue was 'watch the feathers fly', but rather the 'sit back', which suggests you're not actually interested in debate, just in watching other people get angry. Which is pretty much the definition of flame-baiting.

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:
I didn't think the issue was 'watch the feathers fly', but rather the 'sit back', which suggests you're not actually interested in debate, just in watching other people get angry. Which is pretty much the definition of flame-baiting.

OK - I see your point, but I just wanted some input before I responded with my three penn-'urth. I think I've been on here long enough for people to know that I wouldn't start a thread without, at some point, contributing myself.

--------------------

Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
quote:

FYI: that sounds like a British version of the apparently common occurence of male coaches referring to their male team as "girls", with a derogatory meaning. As an insult. I don't know how guys feel about it, but it's classic misogynism.
It's only a misogynism if you take it too seriously - but you can't go through life believing everything you hear must most likely be a personal insult against you - that's paranoia.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Using the idea of being female as an insult, is by definition insulting to females. After all you are implying there is something wrong with being female - or it wouldn't be a provocative thing to say.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

If you really wanted to stretch a point, you could suggest that if you heard one man say of another, "he's not much of a man," that this is offensive to women.

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
If you really wanted to stretch a point, you could suggest that if you heard one man say of another, "he's not much of a man," that this is offensive to women.

If you think of human qualities as assigned to one of two categories, either Female=inferior or Masculine=superior, then 'he is not much of a man' = 'he is more of a woman'. So yes, it is offensive if it implies those values for 'man' and 'woman'.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
If you think of human qualities as assigned to one of two categories, either Female=inferior or Masculine=superior, then 'he is not much of a man' = 'he is more of a woman'. So yes, it is offensive if it implies those values for 'man' and 'woman'.

What about the poor man whom the offence was aimed at in the first place? But I suppose he isn't allowed to be offended, because if he does get offended, that in itself will be seen as offensive to women.

--------------------

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just one specific comment about the phrase. "While feathers fly" does not have the connotation of anything female in western Canada. The image is of chickens fighting, or perhaps coyotes attacking. When either happens, the feathers do fly. The connotation is of fighting about which there can be no resolution. I have never, ever heard of it in the context of women and not meaning people in general.

Parallel to the term "fucktard", which is very clearly meaning 'fucking retard" here and highly offensive, and apparently in other places means "fucking bastard" and not as offensive. For this reason, if people read the phrase "feathers will fly" and variants thereof as an attack on women, I would say it is their problem only and they should accept the variant understanding, because they did not understand that the poster may have not mean their interpreted connotation at all. The alternative would be more sensitivity that terms mean different things in different places and respect for that, but seeing as it doesn't work with fucktard, why should it with this? The right to be offended is personal and not commanding of change by others.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
Just one specific comment about the phrase. "While feathers fly" does not have the connotation of anything female in western Canada.

Nor anywhere else.

The objection is not to that phrase. It was to the implied attitude: Here is a link to statements which I know will provoke strong feelings. I will now sit back and enjoy the resulting commotion.

Flying feathers, wigs on the green - or any other colloquial expression for a ruckus - is entirely irrelevant.

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

@Mark Betts.

What part of 'If X is regarded in a negative light, then likening something to X is also negative' do you not understand?

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Firenze is right. The offence is deliberate provocation purely for the sake of provocation. That's what the post said. That's what flame-baiting is.

It's different from thought-provoking. The stated intention was to provoke a verbal punch up, not a serious discussion. If the stated intention was not the real intentions, that was the fault and the responsibility of the poster.

Verbal punch ups can be provoked in various ways in Hell. A rant or a Hell call, for example. Sometimes serious discussion in Purg gets heated. Hosts draw the line between the two categories. That's one of our jobs.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm not looking to question any host's decision nor was I interested in joining in that topic, but I read Mark Betts's line about feathers flying as a prediction rather than a statement of intention. Of course it could have been his intention but I don't myself think that intention is explicit in those words.

I wouldn't single out his opening post in terms of how far it aims at serious debate. We quite often get opening posts about US politics which take the form "Look what a stupid thing the Republicans have done now. I would like people to join me in ridiculing them." It's not obvious that Mark's post is further from the guidelines for Purgatory than that.

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2210 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Now, I'll just sit back and make myself comfortable while the feathers fly... [Devil]
Well, OK, moonlitdoor.

But I think the smiley [Devil] is pretty explicit, even if it's meant as a joke. People here talk about getting out the popcorn and settling down to enjoy the punch up when the feathers are flying in Hell. And Mark has more than a nodding acquaintance with that place.

It looked, and still looks, explicitly provocative to me, rather than purely predictive. Hence the call. YMMV. As may anyone else's. That's what the Styx is for.

And with that, I'll bow out here and leave it to others.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by moonlitdoor:

I wouldn't single out his opening post in terms of how far it aims at serious debate. We quite often get opening posts about US politics which take the form "Look what a stupid thing the Republicans have done now. I would like people to join me in ridiculing them."

In that case it should have been posted in Hell - the place for ridicule.

Purg is for debate, so while one may think (and say) a person's views are ridiculous - one wouldn't ridicule them as people. Big difference.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
...In that case it should have been posted in Hell - the place for ridicule.

Purg is for debate, so while one may think (and say) a person's views are ridiculous - one wouldn't ridicule them as people. Big difference.

I can assure you it has been bought up in Hell - but, as I've said, I've bowed out of that topic, and the so-and-so's (can't use the word I want to) who post in that thread say much more about the sort of people they are, than they do about the person (in this case me) whom they're trying to attack.

Normally I'd link to a thread I refer to, but in this case it's not worth bothering about. [Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

--------------------

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mark Betts, I'll say to you much the same thing I said to Zach82: Hell is the mechanism provided for getting cranky with people. If you don't wish to use the mechanism that is provided, you do not get to invent your own mechanisms in breach of the rules of Purgatory.

It's as simple as that. Either you use the means that have been provided, or you keep quiet.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
quote:
...In that case it should have been posted in Hell - the place for ridicule.

I can assure you it has been bought up in Hell - but, as I've said, I've bowed out of that topic, and the so-and-so's (can't use the word I want to) who post in that thread say much more about the sort of people they are, than they do about the person (in this case me) whom they're trying to attack.

You misunderstand.

The topic wasn't the problem - it was the way you introduced it. It's perfectly possible to introduce a topic without including your personal opinions at all. Then, as the thread progresses you can respond with your opinions - without attacking the person.

Simples?

Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

quote:
...You misunderstand.

The topic wasn't the problem - it was the way you introduced it. It's perfectly possible to introduce a topic without including your personal opinions at all. Then, as the thread progresses you can respond with your opinions - without attacking the person.

Simples?

Yes, simples - I get all that, I was just letting off some steam.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
quote:
...You misunderstand.

Simples?

Yes, simples - I get all that, I was just letting off some steam.
You still misunderstand - Hell is the place for letting off steam!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

quote:

I know, but I'm not revisiting that thread (Zach82's thread), and the hosts won't let me start another.

--------------------

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I'm not revisiting that thread (Zach82's thread)

This reflects much about you.

quote:
the hosts won't let me start another.
No. The Hosts prevented you from starting an identical-but-inverse thread complaining about Zach82. Because that violates the philosophical rule about not letting children participate here.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

I know, but I'm not revisiting that thread (Zach82's thread), and the hosts won't let me start another.
Again, not revisiting that thread is your choice, but you have to live with the consequences of that choice rather than trying to find other means of circumventing it.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
Again, not revisiting that thread is your choice, but you have to live with the consequences of that choice rather than trying to find other means of circumventing it.

OK - so long as the same rules apply to everyone else and not just new(ish) posters.

I say this because of something Josephine posted here, which I believe to be a violation of the Third Commandment.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Josephine overstepped, but in that situation, your obvious sheer glee at having a cool new way to further disrupt the thread trumped her snark. You've accumulated much more karma than she has, sorry.

[ 20. April 2013, 19:34: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Josephine oversteppe...

Yeah, but it was funny.

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Emily Windsor-Cragg
Shipmate
# 17687

- Posted      Profile for Emily Windsor-Cragg   Author's homepage   Email Emily Windsor-Cragg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Here's the dialogue as it went. And if this keeps up, I'll have to leave also. This kind of stuff by barnabas62 is the reason I tend to stay out of Forums entirely: I'm never allowed to give my experience or reasonings without someone yelling Foul! at me. There's ALWAYS A RULE TO SILENCE MY STORY.

The topic of the Annunaki is not far from my heart because I remember my life and family as an Annunaki.

My elder sister is now my younger daughter, the translations that are available of Sumerian writings are very familiar to me in terms of content, and Annunaki traditions are very close to the Anglican Church, so there's no real disconnect there.

Hillop's book connected the dots for me, directly. Maybe it did have lots of errors in it. My writings contain errors also, but that doesn't mean I don't and can't get to the point.

Annunaki & Babylonian teachings percolate through the Jesuits, through the Masons, the Rosecrucians, the Theosophists, and through corporate statutes.

Hierarchy is how we do business--despite the desires and rights of human and other life forms.

What I do on-line is confront and confront and confront again, that very FACT. Hierarchy has preyed upon and destroyed (legalistically) the governance by consent of the governed that YHVH our Sovereign God established (Exodus 19:8) over His people in the Kingdom of David.

So, this is a point where I do not back down. The Church never went far enough in renewing its prayer book, to correct and remove HIERARCHY out of the presumed Teachings of our Lord Jesus.

That's where the church and I now intersect: on the issue of Who's consenting to what ... which is no longer present in the Prayer Book.

EEWC

... [after some more thought]

After all, isn't it the issue of CONSENT (or lack of it over gender issues) what has schismed the
Anglican-Episcopal Church?

Host Hat On

You're off point, Emily Windsor-Cragg, despite your convoluted claim that you are not.

Formal warning for again crossing the Purg 3 "stick to the point" guideline, despite my previous direction.

If you wish to dispute this ruling, take your argument to the Styx. Any more disputing here gets you another formal warning under Commandment 6.

I regret having to go all formal on you this early in your time here, but you are giving the impression that the guidelines you agreed to when you joined SoF are up to your personal interpretation. That's not the way it works here; that's why SoF has Hosts and Administrators. And why it has the Styx so that our decisions can be challenged.

Barnabas62
Purgatory Host

Host Hat Off

--------------------

I shall dispute this ruling because everything I said had to do with my final point:

that Liturgical readjustment never got as far as it ought to have gone: into CONSENT of the laity as to who is allowed to lead.

Everything I said was historical backdrop for the point I was making.

You are out of line, censoring me.

EEWC

Posts: 326 | From: California | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Nobody is censoring you. All you are being asked to do is stick to the point. It's not difficult. You are perfectly welcome to start a new thread if you wish.

BTW, this is the thread for general discussion of the 10 Commandments (i.e the Ship rules). If you wish to discuss a specific ruling from a host, it's best to do so in a new thread.

ETA: Others have helpfully advised yo to read the guidelines for each board and to take a good look around in order to get a feel for this place and how each board works. Please do so.

Spike
SoF Admin

[ 19. May 2013, 17:52: Message edited by: Spike ]

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Emily Windsor-Cragg
Shipmate
# 17687

- Posted      Profile for Emily Windsor-Cragg   Author's homepage   Email Emily Windsor-Cragg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I did stick to the point: the topic was whether liturgical change had effected improvements or not.

I gave reasons why i believe no improvements occurred. To have left anything out, my argument would have lost its substance.

Where do I post a thread that deals with pursuit of doctrine versus activities and behavior? I believe Jesus had quite a bit to say on this topic, but I don't know where to put it.

Thank you.

EEWC

Posts: 326 | From: California | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Already you are not sticking to the point! As I said in my reply, this thread is for general discussion of the 10 Commandments. If you want to discuss a specific ruling, please start a new thread.

--------------------

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
@ Kelly Alves.

Thank you Kelly. I like the thought of our one hand clapping. That we can be positively personal in Purg but not negatively. Yet I am bitterly ashamed that I misused the term 'ad hominem' which is only negative 'to the person'.

My claim that I was deliberately being positive to the person, which is true, which allows me to bend the definition, would be a calumny.

Martin

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That post, and this, seems to hint at a terror of being hosted that strikes me as a way of poking at the Hosts/ Admins while appearing compliant.

"Oh heavens, I know that was the awfullest thing I ever did, I hope you won't ban me or anything."

[Angel]

Knock it off.There has never, ever been any kind of rule about not saying positive things to anyone, and you implying that it might draw ire for "Ad Hominem" was unwarranted, off topic, and meant to draw attention. And especially galling as you chose to do it in the middle of an already volatile situation.

Well, you got my attention. If you want me to scrutinize your posts for any excuse, I'll be happy to do so. If not, stick to the conversation and stop playing games.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
SOL. Got me. Except I really didn't knowingly want to pour petrol on a volatile situation. I know the heart is deceitfully wicked. And I do scratch itches. So I'm sorry. And thank you.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

It was an eventful couple of nights. Sorry if I got testy.

Just leave the comments about what the Admins might or might not like in the Styx, and all will be well. I guess I was hypervigilant because I knew a fairly new person was watching other people's behavior, and I wanted to nip any misunderstanding about what dialogue went where in the bud. All is well.

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was just re-reading the Ship's 10 commandments and a tacky, sleazy ad came up advocating divorce and how to get one cheaply. As a devout Roman Catholic, I find this v. offensive! Can the Ship not vet its advertisers for good taste and lack of offense?!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Those ads come from Google and are related to key words found in your postings. Nothing to do with the Ship.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
Those ads come from Google and are related to key words found in your postings. Nothing to do with the Ship.

Quite a lot to do with Shipmates though. If people post and read posts about a given subject, then adverts on that subject will be more likely to appear.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

Valid points raised, but nothing to do with the 10 Commandments, which is what this thread is about.

Spike
Styx host

[ 10. July 2013, 21:50: Message edited by: Spike ]

--------------------

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hope this is the right thread to suggest this - can we please add discussion on the veracity of charismatic phenomena (speaking in tongues etc) to Dead Horses? It seems to clog up any Purg thread even tangentially mentioning charismatics.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Francophile
Shipmate
# 17838

- Posted      Profile for Francophile   Email Francophile   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I disagree.

For people new to all this stuff, it is very compelling reading and not at all Dead Horses. Jade may be jaded with it, not all are.

Posts: 243 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

You could still be compelled by it - just on a different Board. DH is intended to be a specialized Purgatory.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Unfeature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016