homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's business   » The Styx   » Technical support (Page 10)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  23  24  25 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Technical support
Jen.

Godless Liberal
# 3131

- Posted      Profile for Jen.   Email Jen.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have a small issue.

If I use the Ship with Firefox on my desktop PC, I can't log out. I press 'log out' and get the 'you have logged out' message, but still the >>Hello, JennyAnn in the top line.

This problem doen't occur in IE, or on firefox on my laptop (or work PCs)

Its not major, but it does puzzle me, anyone any clues?

Jen

--------------------
Was Jenny Ann, but fancied being more minimal.

Posts: 5318 | From: Manchester, England | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It sounds as if you have the other half of my problem: you can't logout, I can't login.

However, it doesn't seem to be exclusively Firefox, as I have tried with IE as well.

There are, though, a range of Firefox-specific problems which I have noticed - principally pages not loading/loading blank/loading partially/loading the raw html.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well done Clever tech support people: this hiccough/hiccup:
quote:
Note: Using your back button to return to the previous page may cause the data you were attempting to submit to be lost. Instead, you should use your browser's reload button when the time period has elapsed.

» Please use your browser's back button to return, unless you got this because of flood control, in which case, the back button will just try to screw with you. Sorry about that.

appears now to be fixed. Or has my computer started doing something different. Either way it's nice to hit the Back button and find my words of wisdom still there.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
TubaMirum
Shipmate
# 8282

- Posted      Profile for TubaMirum     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is this the place to work out email issues? I keep getting locked out because emails from SoF to me are apparently bouncing - I'm not getting notifications of PMs, anyway - but I don't know what to do about this. I've already contacted my ISP, and nobody else seems to be having this problem; what does anybody suggest? I can't PM the Admins, obviously, because I'm locked out from doing anything.

I guess the best thing is to get a Yahoo email account or something? What's that all about, anyway? Is it purely web-based, or can it be set up on an email client? Is Yahoo the best one?

Posts: 4719 | From: Right Coast USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by TubaMirum:
Is this the place to work out email issues? I keep getting locked out because emails from SoF to me are apparently bouncing - I'm not getting notifications of PMs, anyway - but I don't know what to do about this. I've already contacted my ISP, and nobody else seems to be having this problem; what does anybody suggest? I can't PM the Admins, obviously, because I'm locked out from doing anything.

I guess the best thing is to get a Yahoo email account or something? What's that all about, anyway? Is it purely web-based, or can it be set up on an email client? Is Yahoo the best one?

The problem could be caused by a number of things - email no longer working, spam filters etc.

1) Check that the email address within it is still working. If it isn't, then change it to one that does work. Having a working email address is one of the conditions of SOF membership.

2) If your email is working, it may be because of your ISP's spam filters. You will need to fill out a white list form so you can receive the PM notifications by email

If that seems too complicated, then there's option 3)

Change the "Do you want to be notified by email when someone sends you a private message?" from Yes to No. This will stop the PM notifications from bouncing and clogging up the Admins email in box which pisses us off.

Tubbs

[X-posted with Alan]

[ 03. August 2007, 14:34: Message edited by: Tubbs ]

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If your email is bouncing PM notifications, or if you do something like set up an "out of office" automated response, then the Admins get copies of all emails sent you - including PM notifications. This is a) very annoying and b) means we could (if we really wanted to) read your PMs. If that happens a lot we tend to lock the ability to send/receive PMs until the issue is sorted out.

You'll know you have a problem if you've asked for email notifications of PMs but aren't getting them (assuming anyone's sending you PMs that is).

You have several options. If it's bouncing because of a spam filter or similar, make sure that the board admin email address is allowed by your security software (probably run by your ISP, but you should be able to set exceptions to allow certain email addresses through). You could set up a new email account somewhere just for the Ship. Or, you could choose not to receive email notifications of PMs (there's an option in your profile for that).

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Otter
Shipmate
# 12020

- Posted      Profile for Otter   Author's homepage   Email Otter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by TubaMirum:

I prefer Gmail (Google's e-mail service) to Yahoo, but I haven't used my Yahoo service for quite a long time, so I'm going by memory. Both have web-based access, not sure about downloading to a local mail program. I like the tagging/sorting options and spam filters on Gmail, and storage space is seemingly inexhaustable (according to friends who make great use of it). But you do have to put up with the sponsored ads. They're off on the side so they don't bother me.

Both Gmail and Yahoo are free, you could sign up for both and see which you like better. I think you can sign up for Gmail without being sent an invite, but if I'm wrong, I have a bunch.

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data", YMMV, limited-time offer, IANAL, no purchase required, and the state of CA has found this substance to cause cancer in laboratory aminals

Posts: 1429 | From: Chicago, IL 'burbs | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
TubaMirum
Shipmate
# 8282

- Posted      Profile for TubaMirum     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks, and sorry about the emails bouncing. I will definitely switch the "Yes" to "No"; I didn't realize that was even an option.

Except that I'm locked out of my Profile, of course, and can't do this at the moment.

I have received PM notifications in the past, so the email address is definitely working. It must be a spam filter at my ISP, and I will try to address that again.

Thanks again. Can somebody unlock my Profile, or do I have to do something first?

TubaMirum
Shipmate
# 8282

quote:
Originally posted by Otter:
I prefer Gmail (Google's e-mail service) to Yahoo, but I haven't used my Yahoo service for quite a long time, so I'm going by memory. Both have web-based access, not sure about downloading to a local mail program. I like the tagging/sorting options and spam filters on Gmail, and storage space is seemingly inexhaustable (according to friends who make great use of it). But you do have to put up with the sponsored ads. They're off on the side so they don't bother me.

Both Gmail and Yahoo are free, you could sign up for both and see which you like better. I think you can sign up for Gmail without being sent an invite, but if I'm wrong, I have a bunch.

Thanks, Otter. Will look into both. I have lots of perfectly good addresses available from my ISP, though, so I sort of hate to have to come up with yet another login/password to have to remember.... [Waterworks]
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Tubamum,

I've unlocked your profile and set your pm notification email option to "no".

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
TubaMirum
Shipmate
# 8282

quote:
Originally posted by Tubbs:
Tubamum,

I've unlocked your profile and set your pm notification email option to "no".

Tubbs

Thanks. I'll try to work out the spam filter thing, or else set up an email address elsewhere. Sorry again; didn't know.
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I don't know if this problem is on my end or the Ship's end, but I am not seeing any time stamps on anything. The list shows who posted last, but not when the last post was made, nor does it disply when a given post was made. [Confused]

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's fine here.

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
OK, then I may be on my end. Let me re-boot and try again.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

Ta Dah! That did the trick.

Wish they all were so easy.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
WTFWED?

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am still in this annoying situation of not being able to log in - can only post by putting in Login/password for every post. Can't do edits, for example.

I have done the whole thang with deleting cookies.

How would it be if we changed my password? Might this convince my PC that it was a whole new ballgame? (It doesn't have problems with other cookies)

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I just remembered something else that can sometimes cause unexpected behaviour when logging into the Ship. Make sure your clock/time settings on your computer approximate fairly well to the actual time.

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

PC, watch, phone, clock on the wall - all show the same time.
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Drat, I thought I got something there.

I did a cookie cull before posting, and got a couple of lines of code come up when I did so - but too fast to read. I'll try again and see if I can get a screendump.

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Hum, just the set-cookie script (and the cookie has indeed reappeared in the list in Options).
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
PC, watch, phone, clock on the wall - all show the same time.

And date?

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
And date?

Yes.
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Firenze

The few times I have been caught by this on my own computers (i.e. not when using a work or uni one) it was because of one thing and one thing only

The Firewall had updated itself.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Hmm, I have a very busy security suite, which is forever telling me it is updating itself.

Firewall settings are at max - there are lots of options you can turn on/off, but I have sod all idea of what they betoken.

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Done it! Thanks, Jengie. Once I turned on the firewall alerts, I could see it blocking the cookie, and change the permissions.
Zoey

Broken idealist
# 11152

- Posted      Profile for Zoey   Email Zoey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oblivion and the search function:

When I search Oblivion for the terms 'eco thread' or 'thrifty thread', no relevant threads are found.

When I search Heaven (the board on which these two threads originally appeared), the search returns the relevant thread titles, but clicking on the thread title results in the error message 'You have requested a thread that does not exist!'

I thought all threads are now saved to Oblivion? (The eco thread is very recent, the thrifty one a few months old.) How come I can't get at 'em and these threads appear to be lost?

--------------------
Pay no mind, I'm doing fine, I'm breathing on my own.

Posts: 3095 | From: the penultimate stop? | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

The search function in Oblivion is not entirely perfect. It rarely seems to pull up threads I know are there.

As the threads are arranged in order of last post (most recent first), if you know approximately when the thread was last posted to you can go to the relevant section of the thread list and search through the thread titles one page at a time. It sounds tedious, but my experience is that it's by far the easiest way if the search function doesn't work.

--------------------

jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ok, who was playing around with deleting posts?
Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
When is the official Ship's Cafe coming back? Next month?

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is it me or is there some trouble with the ship loading these days? I have no trouble seeing the frames, but as cool as Scargill is, that banner just doesn't do it for me without the forums too [Biased] . Please don't take this as a complaint, but rather an inquiry. Is my work computer having issues or is the ship a bit funky this week?

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've had the same problem, mainly when trying to do a search - empty results page with just the banner.

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've had that problem also, here at the house. It mystifies me.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Am I the only one who can't congratulate PeteCanada and thank Flausa? I can post anywhere else, but not that thread.

[Help]

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

I'm guessing Welease Woderwick was also having trouble as the two of you seem to have posted lots of duplicate posts. There seems to have been a bit of a glitch with the boards last night - I know of at least one other person who thought they'd posted something (on a different thread) only for it to not appear at the time, but it's there now. But don't ask me what it was. [Confused]

--------------------

pease
Tech Admin
# 6

- Posted      Profile for pease     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There was a bit of a blockage which caused a backlog of posts to build up, but I've given it a bit of a kick, which appears to have released it.
Posts: 184 | From: sunset on the strong river | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks pease and Alan; and apologies to the hosts.
Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I strated a thread on a minor point about a line in Luke17:19 at 00:34 on Oct.6.

Noone responded, which is OK (I guess)

Two other threads have responses later in the day.

But when I open the kerygmania page, I see my thread at the top (well, actually, second, after the Greek-letter thread) and the other two threads below, with their later response tiomes showing.

Is my unanswered thread receiving some kind of sympathy from the server?

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That would indicate to me that someone posted a reply and then decided to immediately delete it.
Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

Like I just did on the Practice UBB Code thread (if you're around in time to see it before someone else posts there).
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That would make sense.

Thanks

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Esmeralda

Ship's token UK Mennonite
# 582

- Posted      Profile for Esmeralda   Email Esmeralda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I feel really embarrassed about asking this after all this time on the Ship but: how do I post a link to a website or blog in my sig? If I just put the address in, presumably that's what will appear, and I would like what appears to be something like 'my blog/website here'.

Esme

--------------------
I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand.

http://reversedstandard.wordpress.com/

Posts: 17415 | From: A small island nobody pays any attention to | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This is what I do: I go to someplace like the UUB thread and hit "reply" then I use the URL button on the "reply" box to get my link and my tagline in place. Then I copy the whole mess and I do NOT hit reply.

After that it's just a matter of going back to the profile and pasting the stuff I copied in.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

Or you can simply type in the UBB code yourself:

1. type [url= and then (without leaving a space) type in the url; end with the closing square bracket (again, no space)]

2. type whatever you want to actually appear; My Blog, for example

3. type [/url]

Since you can't Preview Post when you're in your profile update page, you might want to go make a post on the UBB Practice thread in order to check that it looks right and works.

St. Stephen the Stoned
Shipmate
# 9841

- Posted      Profile for St. Stephen the Stoned   Author's homepage   Email St. Stephen the Stoned   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I wish to link to a post in Limbo. Where in the post do I find the link? Is it the “edit this post” icon (the notepad and pencil), or the “reply with quote” (the quotation marks) one?

--------------------
Do you want to see Jesus or don't yer? Well shurrup then!

Posts: 518 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

What you want is the smallest of the icons above the post, on the far left ... left of the "Posted ..." with the date. It looks a bit like a wee bit of paper. Right click that and you can copy the url into your clipboard.

--------------------

St. Stephen the Stoned
Shipmate
# 9841

- Posted      Profile for St. Stephen the Stoned   Author's homepage   Email St. Stephen the Stoned   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ah that one. Called "get_topic". Thank you.

--------------------
Do you want to see Jesus or don't yer? Well shurrup then!

Posts: 518 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Esmeralda

Ship's token UK Mennonite
# 582

- Posted      Profile for Esmeralda   Email Esmeralda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks Kelly and jlg. So many people seem to be doing it that I thought there might be a slick way of doing it. But both of those sound as though they'd work.

--------------------
I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand.

http://reversedstandard.wordpress.com/

Posts: 17415 | From: A small island nobody pays any attention to | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

I tried to e-mail cafe admin, but could not do so. Is the caf really up and running? [Confused]

--------------------

Telepath
Ship's Steamer Trunk
# 3534

- Posted      Profile for Telepath   Email Telepath   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I tried at least half a dozen times to reply to the radical feminism thread on Purgatory. Each time after pressing "send" it hangs forever and my post doesn't show up. However, flood control still applies.

--------------------
Take emptiness and lying speech far from me, and do not give me poverty or wealth. Give me a living sufficient for me.

Posts: 3509 | From: East Anglia | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Triple Tiara

Ship's Papabile
# 9556

- Posted      Profile for Triple Tiara   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Okay, anyone know what's up with purgatory?

--------------------
I'm a Roman. You may call me Caligula.

Posts: 5905 | From: London, England | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  23  24  25 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016