homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's business   » The Styx   » Technical support (Page 11)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  23  24  25 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Technical support
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Apparently there are large globs of "gossip, speculation and paranoia" about at the moment, presumably resulting in fervant exchanges of PMs stretching the PM facility to the limit. This might be having a knock on effect on the rest of the Ship. Either that it's mere speculation fuelled by the paranoia that they're gossiping about me.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Beautiful Dreamer
Shipmate
# 10880

- Posted      Profile for Beautiful Dreamer   Author's homepage   Email Beautiful Dreamer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am having the same problem, particularly on the feminism thread but on all threads in Purgatory. I do not have any problems on any other board. Is there something going on with Purg?

--------------------
More where that came from
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Posts: 6028 | From: Outside Atlanta, GA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:
I tried to e-mail cafe admin, but could not do so. Is the caf really up and running? [Confused]

No. When the cafe is back there will be an announcement in The Styx.

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Triple Tiara

Ship's Papabile
# 9556

- Posted      Profile for Triple Tiara   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That seems plausible as a first stab Alan, but it seems to be only purg which is affected - and has been for some time. Was it my last post which did for it [Hot and Hormonal] ?

--------------------
I'm a Roman. You may call me Caligula.

Posts: 5905 | From: London, England | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Beautiful Dreamer
Shipmate
# 10880

- Posted      Profile for Beautiful Dreamer   Author's homepage   Email Beautiful Dreamer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TT, I am only having the problem with Purg as well. It does not matter which thread or how short my message is, it will not go through even after several minutes or several attempts. But the other boards and my private board are fine.

--------------------

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Okay, I have this brilliant, definitive answer to Trip in Purg, but I haven't been able to post it in more than ten tries.

At least it isn't just me...

Ross

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh, by the way, I had the same problem with the Styx a couple of weeks ago -- nothing would post.

I thought perhaps it was a way of putting a lid on the unrest....

[Cool]

Yes, Trip, you killed Purgatory! [Big Grin]

Ross

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rossweisse:

Couldn't be. Must have been one of the Anglicans...
Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've also been attempting to post on Purgatory, and when I post my comment, everything whirls around and instead of arriving at the bottom of the thread, the whole page blanks out. I've cleared all my cookies, logged out and in again - no answer...

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Triple Tiara

Ship's Papabile
# 9556

- Posted      Profile for Triple Tiara   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Ross

[Big Grin]

--------------------

The Bede's American Successor

Curmudgeon-in-Training
# 5042

- Posted      Profile for The Bede's American Successor   Author's homepage   Email The Bede's American Successor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Triple Tiara:
quote:

Ross

[Big Grin]
No one expects the Romish inquisition.

(I'm trying to answer TT in Purg, too!)

--------------------
This was the iniquity of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had pride of wealth and food in plenty, comfort and ease, and yet she never helped the poor and the wretched.

—Ezekiel 16.49

Posts: 6079 | From: The banks of Possession Sound | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

- Posted      Profile for Lynn MagdalenCollege   Author's homepage   Email Lynn MagdalenCollege   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So that would be why I can't post a reply in Purgatory... hmmmm.

--------------------
Erin & Friend; Been there, done that; Ruth musical

Posts: 6263 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Beautiful Dreamer
Shipmate
# 10880

quote:
Originally posted by basso:
quote:

Couldn't be. Must have been one of the Anglicans...
You got me. I did it. Commence flogging now. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Triple Tiara

Ship's Papabile
# 9556

Oooh! All these good folks lining up to answer me!

Please can you keep purg broke for a little bit longer? [Two face]

--------------------

Mad Geo

Ship's navel gazer
# 2939

- Posted      Profile for Mad Geo   Email Mad Geo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Crap. This sucks! I'm going into withdrawel because I can't post braindroppings with abandon. Oh the misery!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Diax's Rake - "Never believe a thing simply because you want it to be true"

Posts: 11730 | From: People's Republic of SoCal | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ah, but it was worth it to see RooK post on TICTH [Big Grin]

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Maybe we could take a leaf out of Doublethink's book and have a sort of emergency-raft-type Purgatory? "The Antechamber", or "Sheol", or some such?

Or temporarily move debate to the Circus - I'm sure Sine would approve.

[relieved to discover that the fact that Purg hadn't moved since yesterday evening was not symptomatic of a marked decline in the intellectual climate...]

[ 13. October 2007, 07:43: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ah, not just me, then! I tried to post on the feminism thread about 10 times.
[brick wall]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
happening for me too. FYI.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post 
I've e-mailed the tech admin to work his mojo, like he did in the Styx a while back. For future reference, if you try to post and it doesn't show, take a look and see if there have been any new posts in the past few hours or so, instead of submitting the same post 10 times. They WILL show up when the bottleneck is cleared.

[ 13. October 2007, 09:05: Message edited by: Erin ]

--------------------
Commandment number one: shut the hell up.

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
oh good, I'm looking forward to that! [Devil]

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks, Erin!

FWIW, my computer and ISP can both be iffy...so it took me a while to wonder if the Ship was broken. Then I thought maybe a host had (accidentally) locked the thread. Then I saw that *this* thread had bubbled to the top of Styx.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Erin:
I've e-mailed the tech admin to work his mojo, like he did in the Styx a while back. For future reference, if you try to post and it doesn't show, take a look and see if there have been any new posts in the past few hours or so, instead of submitting the same post 10 times. They WILL show up when the bottleneck is cleared.

Oh Erin,

That will be embarrassing, as similar to Golden Key, I thought it was me and my computer that were messing about, and then I tried a few times to post a purg reply... [Hot and Hormonal]

Will Triple Tiara go down in history? Did you, TT, irritate a techie alien, who grinned and waved his wand and fixed you on the top of the purgatory mountain?

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Has Purgatory's clock gone a bit odd or is it just me? All the other boards are showing recent times, but the last one I see in Purgatory shows TT's post at 5:01 [which I think is 12/10/2007[*] 19:00 GMT].

[*]dd/mm/yyyy format for our American friends. [Smile]

[ 13. October 2007, 11:22: Message edited by: Ian Climacus ]

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have twice tried to post on there since Triple Tiara's post. Neither time was successful. I thought that perhaps short term maintenance was being carried out, but its gone on too long for that now.

Jengie

[ 13. October 2007, 11:58: Message edited by: Jengie Jon ]

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Says 19:01 on my screen [Smile] The post rate seemed to slow down for the few hours leading up to that - I was unable to post for about half an hour before the last posts on some of the threads.

I have a horrid fear that my last post to purgatory, which was a very long one, is going to suddenly appear in 37 different copies on three threads.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have been trying to post a reply on the 'How do you doubt?' thread in Purgatory', but five attempts have failed. That dark line thing on the bar at the bottom of the screen starts moving along, then stutters and stops. What shall I do, please?

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 3083 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Scarlet

Mellon Collie
# 1738

- Posted      Profile for Scarlet         Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by SusanDoris:
I have been trying to post a reply on the 'How do you doubt?' thread in Purgatory', but five attempts have failed. That dark line thing on the bar at the bottom of the screen starts moving along, then stutters and stops. What shall I do, please?

Visit Hell, they are open for business... [Two face]

--------------------
They took from their surroundings what was needed... and made of it something more.
—dialogue from Primer

jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[cross-post with Scarlett]

The first thing you can do is actually read the most recent five or ten posts on this thread, in which case you might have noticed that Erin has recently posted this information:
quote:

[ 13. October 2007, 13:37: Message edited by: jlg ]

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I donno, I think the purg hosts are all partying today.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
IngoB seems to have fixed whatever Triple Tiara broke. This has to have been a romish plot [Biased]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks to whoever did the hard work.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

Hurrah! [Overused] Thanks for restoring life! [Yipee]

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You know I never thought I would miss a board so much!! My hands were shaking!

[Eek!]

Thanks to the techies from a technopeasant.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
...This has to have been a romish plot

I had the same thought. [Paranoid]

Of course, I couldn't get on the Ship at all earlier today.

Ross

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Scarlett, jig and PeteCanada

Thank you for your replies. I will remember in future to look at other posts - I just assumed it was me wot did it! (Also, having to use magnification and voice, I cannot just glance at previous posts.) I did remember to copy what I'd written and store it on a draft e-mail, which I find is the easiest way for me.

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 3083 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Out of mild curiosity, I opened the "scroll lock" thread in Styx. The box in which replies are posted extended off to the right, to about double the width of my screen.

When I opened the next thread down the list, I got the "usual" width - that is, the print fitted within my screen.

Is there some minor demon at work in scroll lock? You know, the kind of semicompetent one that gets into serious trouble with Screwtape?

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
On the scroll lock thread, the giant cheeseburger posted something that illustrates what the problem is - which is that long uninterrupted text (eg: URLs) or code can result in posts that are wider than the available display width.

[just getting the right shipmate]

[ 25. October 2007, 21:51: Message edited by: Alan Cresswell ]

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I got this when I tried to send a PM just now:

quote:
Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, admin and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think the ship was momentarily offline. I couldn't get response from any ship webpage for a moment.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Dear Lords of the Ship,

Are we BSTing all winter, or will we be reset to the glorious joys of GMT?

No particular beef here, except I'm suffering cognative dissonance between ShipTime™ and the clock in the corner of my screen... [Ultra confused]

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dave Marshall

Shipmate
# 7533

- Posted      Profile for Dave Marshall     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gwai:
I think the ship was momentarily offline. I couldn't get response from any ship webpage for a moment.

Maybe they're testing the new cafe on the live server, and it's not quite working yet.
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
Are we BSTing all winter, or will we be reset to the glorious joys of GMT?

We have to adjust the offset ourselves in our profile. I did, anyway.
Posts: 4763 | From: Derbyshire Dales | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
I'm suffering cognative dissonance between ShipTime™ and the clock in the corner of my screen...

Odd. Mine agree again after being different all summer!

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

I've just adjusted my profile time, as I had been OK all summer and now had gone off time.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Cheers, Dave. In all my time here, I hadn't noticed the time-shift doohickey. Tis now fixed, and I'm not early anymore!

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

You'll all have to make the adjustment again next weekend when the clock on the server goes back an hour. The server follows the US in changing clocks a week after the UK.

--------------------

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

Doh!

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
You'll all have to make the adjustment again next weekend when the clock on the server goes back an hour. The server follows the US in changing clocks a week after the UK.

Drat, I saw this after I'd made the change. Not that it's particularly difficult and I changed it because I was in my profile anyway.

Why is shiptime UK time -1 and on US clock changing rules?

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
Originally posted by Carys:

I've never actually come across an answer to that question. Though it's one that gets raised regularly (like, every 6 months when the clocks change!)

--------------------

Scarlet

Mellon Collie
# 1738

- Posted      Profile for Scarlet         Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
quote:
Originally posted by Carys:

I've never actually come across an answer to that question. Though it's one that gets raised regularly (like, every 6 months when the clocks change!)
I understood it was because Erin is the Supreme Protectress of the Ship's Server, and since both are located in the states, our time change takes precedence... in some mysterious, unknown way, of course.

--------------------
They took from their surroundings what was needed... and made of it something more.
—dialogue from Primer

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  23  24  25 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016