homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's business   » The Styx   » Technical support (Page 12)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  23  24  25 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Technical support
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Of course, the time hasn't actually changed yet here in the US, since the gummint, in its inifinite wisdom, decided to extend DST.

My computer, like the ship's server, wasn't informed of that fact.

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stumbling Pilgrim
Shipmate
# 7637

- Posted      Profile for Stumbling Pilgrim   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Can anybody tell me why my computer keeps trying to install Flash Player every time I log on to the Ship? It's not doing it with any other sites, and it's only started doing it tonight - has the Ship been tweaked so that I need it? If not, how can I stop it happening? Excuse my ignorance, but I'm mightily confused and a little concerned [Confused]

--------------------
Stumbling in the Master's footsteps as best I can.

Posts: 492 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You actually log off the Ship? Wow. What a concept.
Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stumbling Pilgrim
Shipmate
# 7637

- Posted      Profile for Stumbling Pilgrim   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, when I say log off, what I mean is, I occasionally visit other sites - and sometimes I even close down Explorer altogether [Eek!] (it's because hubby has an irritating habit of wanting to use the computer sometimes) Since yesterday Vista has taken to telling me it wants to install Flash Player every time I come to the Ship, which is especially confusing because I thought I had Flash Player anyway!

--------------------
Stumbling in the Master's footsteps as best I can.

Posts: 492 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stumbling Pilgrim:
Vista

I think I see where your problem probably resides.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I just brought my computer home from the hospital and have re-logged onto the Ship. Everything's fine except I no longer have the "Click here for new posts" thingy. Is it my computer or is it the Ship?

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I shut down and then came back to the Ship -- it's there again!

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Melangell
Shipmate
# 4023

- Posted      Profile for Melangell   Email Melangell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Can anybody tell me why my computer keeps trying to install Flash Player every time I log on to the Ship? It's not doing it with any other sites, and it's only started doing it tonight - has the Ship been tweaked so that I need it? If not, how can I stop it happening? Excuse my ignorance, but I'm mightily confused and a little concerned [Confused]

Just back from shore leave to find I have the same problem as Stumbling Pilgrim; moreover, it takes an average of four minutes staring at a blank screen before I get the "do you want to install Adobe Flash Player?" message. Every other site I use regularly is working normally: [Help]

--------------------
Gwnewch y pethau bychein (Dewi Sant)
Do the little things (Saint David)

Posts: 367 | From: A bit of Wales in Surrey | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What happened yesterday?

When I tried to read the BBs, the "Board Home" page took about 30 sec. to load, and every page after that required at least 30 sec (and up to two minutes) of nothing happening to load.

If I tried to post, I received a "not responding, try again" reply after several minutes. When I did do that, the net result was that my post appeared twice.

I noticed that there were over 200 on the boards at that time, but I also note that now, while I am typing this, that my "explorer" bar at the bottom of the screen shows (1 item remaining)Downloading picture (from)tjbeckhouse.home.comcast.net.other(then something I can't see). And this at least four minutes into the download.

(I did click on "Stop" and the beckhouse thing disappeared)

Is there some sort of infiltration problem going on?

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's taking ages to download for me today, too.
I've had a couple of occasions like that recently. I have just been giving up and coming back later, or the next day.
It's frustrating

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
J Whitgift

Pro ecclesia dei!
# 1981

- Posted      Profile for J Whitgift   Email J Whitgift   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Horseman Bree:
What happened yesterday?

When I tried to read the BBs, the "Board Home" page took about 30 sec. to load, and every page after that required at least 30 sec (and up to two minutes) of nothing happening to load.

If I tried to post, I received a "not responding, try again" reply after several minutes. When I did do that, the net result was that my post appeared twice.

We seem to be going very slow today, is there a problem with the Servers?? It's taking minutes, rather than seconds to load the boards this morning and multiple-duplicate posts seem to be appearing on some boards.

Pray for us O holy mother of God!

--------------------
On the issue of homosexuality the Liberals have spent their time thinking, considering and listening (in the spirit of the Windsor process), whereas Conservative Anglicans have used the time to further dig their feet in and become more intransigent.

Posts: 2838 | From: Gone shoreside | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's taking ages to download for me today, too.
I've had a couple of occasions like that recently. I have just been giving up and coming back later, or the next day.
It's frustrating [Frown]

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yesterday and today I've been having a big problem loading the bulletin board pages. [Frown] I'm sorry that others are having the same problem, but very glad that it's not just me. It took me over five minutes to get here.

Also, and I don't know if this is relevant to anything, or not, but yesterday I was posting some replies, and whole sections of sentences would disappear! [Eek!] (Preview post is really my friend!)

Any thoughts?

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post 
I'll ask pease to check in, but honestly, this software is ancient, it might be dying. I'll start checking into what our upgrade options are (no UBB, I think, because this particular application doesn't exist any more).

--------------------
Commandment number one: shut the hell up.

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

- Posted      Profile for Ancient Mariner   Author's homepage   Email Ancient Mariner   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's almost certainly happening because of national UK media coverage of the 12 Days of Kitschmas (BBC, Daily Telegraph et al). It quadrupled our page requests yesterday before the real rush began today.

We are looking into what can be done...

[Votive]

Posts: 2582 | From: St Helens (near Liverpool) UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's moving at normal speed now - but it will be interesting to see how quickly this posts.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
pease
Tech Admin
# 6

- Posted      Profile for pease     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It was indeed because of Kitschmas...

I've implemented a workaround to ease the pressure.

Posts: 184 | From: sunset on the strong river | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by pease:
It was indeed because of Kitschmas...

I've implemented a workaround to ease the pressure.

Thanks, pease. Your work is greatly appreciated.

[Overused] [Overused] [Overused] [Overused] [Overused] [Overused] [Overused]

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

My twin messages above, were the result of two attempts at posting this morning. As far as I was aware I had abandoned the venture without getting a result - obviously everything comes to (s)he who waits!

--------------------

Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you for your efforts for us.

The least I can do is go to the Organ Fund (my memory having been jogged by this!)

Virtual choclates available, if they don't melt down in the stokehold!

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

- Posted      Profile for Ancient Mariner   Author's homepage   Email Ancient Mariner   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Horseman Bree:
Thank you for your efforts for us.

The least I can do is go to the Organ Fund (my memory having been jogged by this!)

Very much appreciated, HB.
Posts: 2582 | From: St Helens (near Liverpool) UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Many thanks, pease! Everything seems nice and smooth right now. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Many thanks for the fix. Two nights ago (Australian time) it was slow and last night was impossible to access. Pages took over 5 minutes to load.

However, if others are also reading, then that's a good thing.

Thanks again.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Foolhearty
Shipmate
# 6196

- Posted      Profile for Foolhearty   Email Foolhearty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Melangell:
quote:

Just back from shore leave to find I have the same problem as Stumbling Pilgrim; moreover, it takes an average of four minutes staring at a blank screen before I get the "do you want to install Adobe Flash Player?" message. Every other site I use regularly is working normally: [Help]
Yes, this is exactly what I continue to experience -- the long wait. followed by the "Install Flash Player" message.

While I appreciate pease's fix for the other problem above, this appears to be a separate issue, as I just got the msg again.

Any suggestions?

Posts: 2301 | From: Upper right-hand corner | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Melangell
Shipmate
# 4023

- Posted      Profile for Melangell   Email Melangell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Foolhearty:
quote:
Originally posted by Melangell:
quote:

Yes, this is exactly what I continue to experience -- the long wait. followed by the "Install Flash Player" message.

While I appreciate pease's fix for the other problem above, this appears to be a separate issue, as I just got the msg again.

Any suggestions?

As of last night, this problem seems to have been fixed - thank you very much! [Smile]

--------------------
Gwnewch y pethau bychein (Dewi Sant)
Do the little things (Saint David)

Posts: 367 | From: A bit of Wales in Surrey | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

In post #11 of the "Back to Basics" thread in Purg, I tired to set up a url link, which appeared in "non-link" form.

How do I do other than my usual use of the URL button?

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hmm. I may have experienced the same problem, but assumed at the time it was either operator error or a bad character in the URL. OliviaG
Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

Maybe the apostrophe in "Pascal's" ?

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Almost certainly the apostrophe. The software here objects to having odd characters (apostrophes, % and a few other punctuation marks)in URLs. Wikipedia seems to use them quite a lot.

Your best bet in working around the deficiency in the software is to put the URL in something like tinyURL and then use the address that generates.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

Thank you.

I'm sure the problem has been mentioned before, but I don't read Tech support pages just for fun!

(which may be a sidelight to the issue of the "but we discussed that two years ago" grumble that occurs every so often. The response is "But I wasn't there and I don't know how to find it")

Thanks again.

J

SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A while back I sent a cheque plus a link for an avatar picture - I was just wondering when it might appear, as I have heard nothing since. Could someone tell me how this works please?

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 3083 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

You wait a while and then PM Simon to confirm that he received the request (and the check!).
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Apologies to the hosts if I'm posting this in the wrong spot, but I wonder if someone here knows the solution to this issue:

I receive the podcasts from S. Clement Philadelphia, and I keep the music listings for each liturgy in the "Lyrics" section of my iPod. However, S. Clement's has a default info section that appears to promote their website and overrides the lyrics display. Thus, I can view the music titles when I'm on the computer, but I can't when I'm viewing my iPod.

Is there any way to eliminate the default "Visit our website"? (Obviously, if I'm receiving their podcasts, I already know about their website. I would rather know who composed the beautiful music while I am listening to it.)

Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin L:
Apologies to the hosts if I'm posting this in the wrong spot, but I wonder if someone here knows the solution to this issue:

I receive the podcasts from S. Clement Philadelphia, and I keep the music listings for each liturgy in the "Lyrics" section of my iPod. However, S. Clement's has a default info section that appears to promote their website and overrides the lyrics display. Thus, I can view the music titles when I'm on the computer, but I can't when I'm viewing my iPod.

Is there any way to eliminate the default "Visit our website"? (Obviously, if I'm receiving their podcasts, I already know about their website. I would rather know who composed the beautiful music while I am listening to it.)

This thread is for Ship related techinical questions only.

You try IPod help or get in touch with S Clements as you may not be the only person with this problem and they may be able to help.

Tubbs
Member Admin

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks Tubbs. I rarely make it here to The Styx, and then I mess it up somehow. Sorry to all for the inconvenience.
Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Amorya

Ship's tame galoot
# 2652

- Posted      Profile for Amorya   Email Amorya   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Erin:
I'll ask pease to check in, but honestly, this software is ancient, it might be dying. I'll start checking into what our upgrade options are (no UBB, I think, because this particular application doesn't exist any more).

PHPBB 3 is now out. You may want to look into that if you're after a new bulletin board.

(Fear nothing from the security problem rumours that abound the web. They're almost always caused by people installing hacks, which I know you don't do, or not keeping up with security updates. Aside from that, PHPBB 3 is almost entirely new code with nothing much carried over from version 2.)

Amorya

Posts: 2383 | From: Coventry | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Melon

Ship's desserter
# 4038

- Posted      Profile for Melon   Author's homepage   Email Melon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Amorya:
Fear nothing from the security problem rumours that abound the web.

Having run phpBB2 on Church of Fools for a while, Pease and I would need a lot of convincing to even consider installing anything written in PHP ever again. Even well-written PHP is a disaster waiting to happen on a virtually-hosted site, and phpBB2 didn't qualify as 'well-written' by a long chalk.

--------------------
French Whine

Posts: 4177 | From: Cavaillon, France | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Amorya

Ship's tame galoot
# 2652

- Posted      Profile for Amorya   Email Amorya   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Melon:
quote:
Fear nothing from the security problem rumours that abound the web.

Having run phpBB2 on Church of Fools for a while, Pease and I would need a lot of convincing to even consider installing anything written in PHP ever again. Even well-written PHP is a disaster waiting to happen on a virtually-hosted site, and phpBB2 didn't qualify as 'well-written' by a long chalk.
I completely disagree. Obviously badly written PHP is undesirable but there's no reason to write off the whole language because of some people's inability to use it. Why is well written PHP a disaster waiting to happen?

This probably isn't the place to go into this argument. I will say that if we're going for anecdotal evidence, I've been running sites based on PHPBB2 for many years, and found it lovely to work with.

Amorya

Melon

Ship's desserter
# 4038

- Posted      Profile for Melon   Author's homepage   Email Melon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Why is well written PHP a disaster waiting to happen?

No suEXEC, which means, according to one source
quote:
Because all scripts running on a machine run as the same user, a file that one script creates can be read by another, regardless of which user wrote the script. All a script needs to know to read a file is the name of that file. There is no way to change this, so the best solution is not to use files.
AFAIC, any programming language that can't use files safely is fit for nothing more than personal home pages, which, of course, is what PHP originally stood for.

I haven't looked at phpBB3, but phpBB2 was a terribly-written system on every possible level, and we had to write our own patches for several exploits in the short time we were running it.

--------------------
French Whine

Amorya

Ship's tame galoot
# 2652

quote:
quote:
Why is well written PHP a disaster waiting to happen?

No suEXEC
The only shared host I use seems to manage OK:

http://amorya.uwcs.co.uk/test.php

The above script is simply

code:
system("whoami");

Dunno how they did it. I could find out for you if needed.

Amorya

Melon

Ship's desserter
# 4038

Oh you can do it, you just can't make any files created by any php script on a virtually hosted server secure, as the above quote explained. By contrast, with virtually-hosted CGI, each website runs as a different unix user, which gives you OS-level protection between sites.

You can run php in cgi mode, but I've never seen anyone do it.

--------------------
French Whine

Amorya

Ship's tame galoot
# 2652

quote:
Oh you can do it, you just can't make any files created by any php script on a virtually hosted server secure, as the above quote explained.

The quote was wrong.

Since the host I gave the example on executes my PHP scripts under my user, I can't use scripts to read anyone else's files. Neither can they read my files. I thought my demo example made that clear; perhaps I should have explained better.

If multiple users on a virtual host can read each other's files, I'd say that's an error in the setup of the server.

Amorya

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm experiencing technical difficulties. The last few days, I've had problems with pages opening -- not so much when I click on the thread title, but (for example) when I try to open Page 8 on a multi-page thread. Also, I've tried more than once to post a reply using the Quote function, and the blasted page won't load. I get a white screen that just sits there.

I suspect this is a problem with my ISP, but since I'm a real rookie on matters technical, I thought I'd ask here. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Correction to the above: It isn't a totally white screen. I get the Ship of Fools bulletin boards header and the blue panel down the side. It's the "innards" that are all blank.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am accessing the site from a religious study centre, interestingly when I try to click on the Hell board I get the error message:

"the page exceeds the wieghted phrase limit"

It then has an offical blurb saying the site is deemed inappropriate and I should contact the admin staff if I wish to discuss this. Has anyone ome across this form of particularly tailored censorship before ? Access to the rest of the boards seems to be fine.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The Hell front page displays (in no particular order) the words: hell, arse, castration, rapist, murderer, vomiting, batshit, tweakers, fucking and fuck you. I suspect most library filters stumble over some of these; especially those of the religous variety.
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Does "something" happen just before 16:00 GMT each day? MadGeo on his "Visit to Paris" thread in The Circus mentions this and I noticed it too. I'm sure it has happpened on other days at this time.

Is it The Ship, The Ship's ISP or my imagination?

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

When I click on 'Next' at the bottom of a thread it usually takes me to the next thread. Sometimes it takes me to the previous thread. At other times it skips a thread. I've watched, and it isn't because the order of threads changes. Not a serious problem, just one of those odd quirks -- does it happen to anyone else?

--------------------
~Tortuf

Bacchus
Ship's Sommelier
# 11408

- Posted      Profile for Bacchus   Email Bacchus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
How do I move a YouTube item that was Emailed to me to the "Favorite YouTube Moments" thread in the Circus?

--------------------
Cogito, ergo spud.
I think, therefore I yam.

Posts: 2066 | From: Central Indiana, USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Short answer - put the YouTube URL into a reply on the relevant thread.

Long answer - step by step

Get copy the YouTube web address (URL) from the email.
Go to the end of the Circus thread and click the Post Reply button.

Type any text you want to into the Message space.

Click the URL button (you may need to scroll down to see this).

Paste the YouTube address into the first box it presents (be careful not to have 'http://' appearing twice) and click OK.

Type any suitable descriptive text into the second box it presents and click OK.

Use Preview Post to check your message. Once you are satisfied with it click Add Reply

Voila! you are done.

HTH

Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  23  24  25 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016