homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's business   » The Styx   » Technical support (Page 23)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  20  21  22  23  24  25 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Technical support
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you passer!

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The edit post button seems to have disappeared. At least on my iPad using Safari.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
An extra special encouragement to preview post? [Two face]

It's still here on Firefox/Windows 7.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
An extra special encouragement to preview post? [Two face]

It's still here on Firefox/Windows 7.

That is truly funny. [Smile] Everything is cool on my iPhone as well.
As I also use Firefox/Win 7, I suspect that will be so as well for me.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
When I try to post some links, I get an error message saying that URLs with parentheses in them are not permitted. While it's simple enough to bypass with a URL shortener, I wondered why this was?

Here is an example of a page that can't be linked to unless using such a shortener. If you hover over the link you'll see it says bitly address rather than Wikipedia.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's a "feature" of the basically obselete software we're running here.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alaric the Goth
Shipmate
# 511

- Posted      Profile for Alaric the Goth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm getting a ridiculous number of 'pop-up' adverts today including one or two that look distinctly dodgy. One of these is offering 'Tech support' to stop pop-up ads (!!), which looks very suspicious. Any advice? (I've run various Norton security checks)
Posts: 3322 | From: West Thriding | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Alaric the Goth:
I'm getting a ridiculous number of 'pop-up' adverts today including one or two that look distinctly dodgy. One of these is offering 'Tech support' to stop pop-up ads (!!), which looks very suspicious. Any advice? (I've run various Norton security checks)

Malwarebytes - demo (fully functioning) version is free. Make sure you download it from their website.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
An odd thing has been happening: I have been typing responses on a Word doc and for the last two days, when I type ..., or -, or single quotes, highlighted, copied and pasted into the edit area, the preview comes out with : K, |V, or something else - which I've forgotten! I've got round this by deleting the marks on doc, and putting them in in the edit area. Any ideas, please?

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 3083 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
First guess, Word is auto-replacing what you type with special characters that the software here doesn't recognise.

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
First guess, Word is auto-replacing what you type with special characters that the software here doesn't recognise.

Thank you. Ah, well, I'll cross my fingers and hope that it will have sorted itself out by tomorrow!!

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I don't normally follow this board. However, I have just had a private message from a new joiner, an Apprentice, which I'm fairly sure is merely a circular about a campaign he or she is particularly interested in. It's a cause that may or may not be worthy. I'm not sure and I'm inclined not to give it the benefit of the doubt. It could be some sort of spam.

It relates to a campaign in a different country from mine. So I suspect, I will not be the only person to have received this. It's possible that he or she may just be working through the entire list of Shipmates and messaging all of us.

Anyway, I've deleted it and have no intention of responding.

Three questions:-
1. Am I right in thinking this is a misuse not just of Private Messages but of the Ship?
2. Have others had the same sort of message? and
3. Is there anything more I need to do about this?

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
1. Am I right in thinking this is a misuse not just of Private Messages but of the Ship?
2. Have others had the same sort of message? and
3. Is there anything more I need to do about this?

1. Yes, but on the fringes of enforceability.
  2. Yes, this is not unprecedented.
  3. No, and thanks for flagging this. Though I wouldn't mind if you contacted me (or another Admin) directly as to the identity of the PM Spammer.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this question: a friend of mine is quite interested wen I tell her about topics on this forum - I've given her a link for her to have a browse, but for some reason, she has never followed it! She says, 'what did they say?' but I point out that when a topic runs into pages, I couldn't begin to describe itand can't read it out to her since I only listen anyway.

She phoned me today and suggested a question she'd seen in a book on philosophy which is: 'How can you know what is true?' I said that I thought this has probably been covered in many ways already, but I'm no good at searching for things, and would be most grateful if someone would be kind enough to do a quick search and check?

Thank you.

--------------------

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. Do you want to know how to search for a topic on the Ship?

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I did a quick search of what SusanDoris seems to be looking for, but couldn't find such a thread easily.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

Spike and Leroc

Thank you for your help - much appreciated. I'm not sure that I can construct a suitable OP, but will give it a try.

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I hope this is the right thread to ask.

A fellow Shippie has apparently changed her e-mail address on the boards and/or her password. She says she cannot log in any longer, and claims having not received any message or new password from the Ship.

She has filled in the 'Contact Us' form, but to no avail so far. Any ideas on how she can get back in?

Many thanks. [Smile]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If it's who I think it is, I sent the login details by email a few days ago. Get her to check her spam folder.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And lo, it was like the prophet, Spike, had predicted, and there was great rejoicing and praising of the Lord. Selah! [Smile]

Ta muchly.

[ 30. May 2016, 22:52: Message edited by: Wesley J ]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Something has gone wrong with my e-mail address and as a result I am transferring everything to a new e-mail address.

When I attempted to change my e-mail address in my Ship profile, I got a message saying that my new address was not acceptable because it "must contain an @ sign." It does contain an @ sign, so what is the problem?

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
Something has gone wrong with my e-mail address and as a result I am transferring everything to a new e-mail address.

When I attempted to change my e-mail address in my Ship profile, I got a message saying that my new address was not acceptable because it "must contain an @ sign." It does contain an @ sign, so what is the problem?

The Ship's software has decided it doesn't like you. No technical reason for it; it's just cranky like that.

Let us know if you have any problems logging in or posting.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
How do I access my pms when on the Ship? I couldn't find any indication from my profile page, and have to go back into my email to use the link mailed to me. When a new message comes in, of course there's no problem, but sometimes I just want to re-read something whilst already logged in.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by jacobsen:
How do I access my pms when on the Ship? I couldn't find any indication from my profile page, and have to go back into my email to use the link mailed to me. When a new message comes in, of course there's no problem, but sometimes I just want to re-read something whilst already logged in.

Not sure what profile link you're clicking but I can see my PMs if I click on the "My Profile" link underneath Post A Reply and next to the Directory, Search, FAQs and Board Home link at the top of the page.

If that doesn't work, then it's a sign from heaven of something ... Although I'm not sure what.

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
On my screen there is no My Profile link under Post a Reply.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

On my screen there is no My Profile link under Post a Reply. Aha! clicking on the link at the top of the page works. I was clicking on the profile icon in my own posts. Problem solved. Thanks, Tubbs.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This morning my Android Tablet decided to log me out of The Ship and won't let me log back in again - indeed it denies I exist! I have checked in the mirror and I'm pretty sure I'm really here. This Desktop PC has no such problems hence me posting this.

Anyone got any ideas?

[Using the Desktop involves standing up and walking into another room and my knees are already having a bad day.]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

Stock answer: have you cleared cookies? (though I've no idea how to do that on Android)

--------------------

ElaineC
Shipmate
# 12244

- Posted      Profile for ElaineC   Email ElaineC   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Another stock answer: Have you rebooted the tablet?

--------------------
Music is the only language in which you cannot say a mean or sarcastic thing. John Erskine

Posts: 464 | From: Orpington, Kent, UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I also have no idea how to clear Android cookies but what I have done is a complete Factory Reset on the tablet and I have checked that the phone is also behaving in the same way - not signed in, can't sign in.

The weird thing is that this Windows 7 PC also gets its connection through USB Tethering to the same phone but it remains fine.

I think I may blame Bill Gates, either him or Uncle Pete.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
I think I may blame Bill Gates, either him or Uncle Pete.

Come to think of it, I've never seen Bill Gates and Uncle Pete at the same time... DUN DUN DUNNN.
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
This morning my Android Tablet decided to log me out of The Ship and won't let me log back in again - indeed it denies I exist! I have checked in the mirror and I'm pretty sure I'm really here. This Desktop PC has no such problems hence me posting this.

Anyone got any ideas?

[Using the Desktop involves standing up and walking into another room and my knees are already having a bad day.]

What web browser are you using on the tablet. Some of them will not remember or not log in if you are on "incognito mode" or doing "private browsing".
Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
I also have no idea how to clear Android cookies

Assuming you are using Chrome.*
After opening the browser, click on the three vertical dots on the top right.
Then click settings.
Down below, under the Advanced, are the two relevant links. Privacy and Site Settings.
PrivacyClick on this.
Then click on Clear browsing data at the very bottom.
Check the boxes of the things you wish to clear and the press Clear Data

After this, you will want to make sure that your browser is accepting cookies, so then back out to Settings and click on
Site settings.
You will see Cookies, click on that.
Make sure the setting is set to allow cookies.

*There will be similar with other browsers (or different versions of Chrome than the one I am using), but the paths and labels might be slightly different.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Thanks lilBuddha, cookies all cleared, etc. but it is still denying my existence:

Sorry, we have no one registered with that name.

Yes, I generally use Chrome but I get the same result in UC Browser.

Hmmm, it is late, I shall sleep on it.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Curiouser!

It now won't recognise my email address, despite it appearing in my profile on the desktop machine.

Could my Tablet be possessed of an evil spirit?

eta: all other functions are as normal, it is still signed in to things like the Quiz and all other sites that I use regularly - it appears to be a Ship's Peculiar - and no, I shall resist the temptation to name other peculiars of the Ship for fear of litigation as much as anything else...

...and it would be one hell of a list!

[ 15. September 2016, 12:34: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

You shouldn't need to enter your email address to login here. Where are you trying to enter it, that it's failing to recognise it?

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I was using the tablet to access my login details thinking that might be a way around it but apparently I must be a figment of your collective imaginations - you poor, sick, twisted people!

In a sense it doesn't worry me too much as I can access the Ship from this machine but that only works when I am at home - when away I usually rely on the Tablet. If this situation continues then when I go away Hosting just ain't possible unless I can find cyber-cafes and there aren't so many about these days as everyone has a Tablet or...

It just seems weird to me that everything else works on the Tablet except the Ship. I would log out here on the PC then check I can log in again but I'm worried I might just disappear in a puff of smoke!

Perhaps I'm a figment of my own imagination.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Try Firefox

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
WW--

If you want time off from hosting, just say so! [Biased]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If I understand the problem, it involves two browsers, Chrome and UC. These are different. If the problem involves both it is an upstream problem within something in the Android system on your tablet. I'm not an Android expert, but I understand Linux well, which is similarly based. I'd suspect something wrote something into some system file. Given info on the 'net reporting security, spyware and data problems with the UC browser makes me consider it as the culprit. I suspect no other website you use is UBB based other than the Ship. ?reset the tablet and start over? I know people hate doing that sort of thing.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

he did a factory reset.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Yup, did full factory reset - it takes a while!

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Yes, good idea lilB, I'll try installing a version of Firefox for Android, even if I don't usually use Firefox any more.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Same result with Firefox! No such shipmate as Welease Woderwick!

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

To my mind that points to an Android issue. And, you get the same thing on your phone (also Android?). But not the Windows PC.

If it was something related to an update to the Android OS that would explain both tablet and phone - but, we'd be seeing the problem for all Android users (at least all who haven't disabled automatic updating).

Do you have any security software running that might interfere with things? That would probably require the same thing running on the phone.

Have you checked that entering your username via a touchscreen rather than the PC keyboard isn't doing something funky, like not putting in the capital letters?

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

I attempted to log into the ship on my Adroid tablet, in both Chrome and Firefox. And I noticed something. The tablet wanted to add a space after my login name, especially if I used autofill. If I let it, the login failed.
WW, try typing in your name and make certain the blinking curser is flush against the last letter. On mine, when the curser is correctly positioned, the word is underlined.
After you enter your password and BEFORE you press login, click in the password window to make certain it has remained without the space.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Tah-Dah!!!

lilBuddha you are a STAR!

I'm typing this on the Tablet and it works!

Panic over.

...but I still think that there are a lot of Ship's Peculiars about.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Because I helped gives you no right to bestow niceties upon me. Take it back

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I apologise unreservedly, I never meant to offend; in future I shall try to keep such feelings to myself and to present myself as the true misanthrope I am meant to be.

[Razz]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

That takes me back about 50 years to a Peanuts cartoon with Linus telling Lucy that he was going to be a great philanthropist and Lucy replying that to do that he has to love humanity. His response is

quote:
I love humanity, it's people I can't stand!
Absolutely.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  20  21  22  23  24  25 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016