homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's business   » The Styx   » Technical support (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  23  24  25 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Technical support
Stoo

Mighty Pirate
# 254

- Posted      Profile for Stoo   Email Stoo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Perhaps your computer doesn't want you to be here anymore?

--------------------
This space left blank

Posts: 5266 | From: the director of "Bikini Traffic School" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You're not alone Mid, I get that as well.

For some reason it only happens when I log on from my home computer. At w*rk everything is fine.

I just assumed it was because I was on a much older computer at home. Maybe not?

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
ChrisT

One of the Good Guys™
# 62

- Posted      Profile for ChrisT   Author's homepage   Email ChrisT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
These boards do work slightly differently to many others. It may be wise to do a cleanup of your system - deleting temporary files etc - and see what difference that makes. This obviously includes removing any temporary internet files. Let us know how you get on.

--------------------
Firmly on dry land

Posts: 6489 | From: Here, there and everywhere | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'll try it when I get home tonight.

Is it worth deleting the history file as well as the temporary files?

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

Doesn't seem to be going much faster.
The Mid

Officer and a gentleman
# 1559

- Posted      Profile for The Mid   Email The Mid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Defragged, removed cookies adn temporary files, did a disk cleanup as well, no change whatsover unfortunately.

--------------------
For God so loved the world She got involved

Posts: 3022 | From: The Wardroom | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Mid

Officer and a gentleman
# 1559

- Posted      Profile for The Mid   Email The Mid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just discovered that this does not happen unless I am logged in. I posted a thread while I was not logged in and it was perfectly fine.Am not sure what that means.

--------------------
For God so loved the world She got involved

Posts: 3022 | From: The Wardroom | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChrisT

One of the Good Guys™
# 62

- Posted      Profile for ChrisT   Author's homepage   Email ChrisT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Perhaps when you log in it loads your ego, therefore the huge amount of extra data taking up bandwidth slows the site down? [Big Grin]

Dunno what the problem is. Maybe try another browser - Opera is free and good.

--------------------
Firmly on dry land

Posts: 6489 | From: Here, there and everywhere | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Belisarius
Lord Bountiful of Admin (Emeritus) Delights
# 32

- Posted      Profile for Belisarius   Email Belisarius   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Or***ally posted by Nonpropheteer]

Anyone who has XP is probably running into the same situation I am. There is a service out there that spams you through the XP messenger service. They have several different websites, such as www.endads.com, but they all sell the same product. This is nothing short of electronic extortion: Buy my product or put up with my ads every 15 minutes.

Well, after much cussing and surfing (not necessarily in that order) I found two procedures that will stop the crap:

Windows Launchpad

Microsoft

May spammers burn in hell forever.

Nonpropheteer

--------------------
Animals may be Evolution's Icing, but Bacteria are the Cake.
Andrew Knoll

Posts: 8080 | From: New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pheonix

Twisted fire starter
# 2782

- Posted      Profile for Pheonix   Email Pheonix   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
These adverts have been out for a while... It also affects Windows2000, Win98 & I think NT... For those interested I think its ports in the range 164-170 that are used for this.

A good firewall will stop these messages straightaway along with all other sorts of nasties, which is a good reason to use one. I recommend ZoneAlarm (best of the free ones by a long way) although its not the easiest to set up.

If you want to then it is possible to trace the source of the spam, but its not easy.

Bloody micros**t(e) seem unwilling to fix this or restrict it to a local network...

Posts: 2384 | From: on the move. | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pheonix

Twisted fire starter
# 2782

- Posted      Profile for Pheonix   Email Pheonix   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
On another note... Have just seen an influx of emails to one email server I monitor with the Dumaru virus. Click here for details of the file on McAfee...

Its a traditional mass mailer that happens to drop a password stealer. Make sure anti-virus protection is up to date (although this file was first detected in mid-late august) and don't run any attachments or for that matter open any email that you're not 100% sure about.

Caid
Shipmate
# 5024

- Posted      Profile for Caid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This just in:

Suddenly, my password stopped working. Both on the boards and the chat. I'm quite sure about my password and tried it several times before I gave up. I had to ask for a new one in order to get back in.

Now, can anybody explain why this is in accordance with the prophecy?

--------------------
"Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite" - J. K. Galbraith

Posts: 63 | From: Sweden | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Joyeux

Ship's Lady of Laughter
# 3851

- Posted      Profile for Joyeux   Email Joyeux   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In accordance with the prophecy, I come, searching for answers.

(For Windows XP, Microsoft Outlook) Does anyone know how I can copy / export the information in my "this is junk" list to a Word document or Excel spreadsheet (or, ideally, to the rules for out of office assistant)? I'm going to have my auto-reply turned on for over a week, but I don't want it to go to those addresses that I've already identified as being junk!

(Oops! I forgot to put on a hat that sufficiently demonstrates how deeply I am grovelling... *digs through costume chest* an over-sized tyrolean hat in fuschia, magenta, and burnt umber, indicating that I am so much in need of help by this problem that I can't recognize when colour combinations just Aren't Right™.)

--------------------
Float?...Do science too

Posts: 4318 | From: over th... no, there! | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pheonix

Twisted fire starter
# 2782

Is this before or after we burn you at the stake for using outlook? [Snigger]
St. Punk the Pious

Biblical™ Punk
# 683

- Posted      Profile for St. Punk the Pious   Author's homepage   Email St. Punk the Pious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You all want technical support? Today??

[Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me]

--------------------
The Society of St. Pius *
Wannabe Anglican, Reader
My reely gud book.

Posts: 4161 | From: Choral Evensong | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
St. Punk the Pious

Biblical™ Punk
# 683

- Posted      Profile for St. Punk the Pious   Author's homepage   Email St. Punk the Pious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally babbled by Phoenix/Pheonix:

Hey, I'm getting ready to burn that heretick Karl--Liberal Backslider at the stake. You can throw some more in if you want.

--------------------
Wannabe Anglican, Reader
My reely gud book.

Joyeux

Ship's Lady of Laughter
# 3851

- Posted      Profile for Joyeux   Email Joyeux   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Actually, could you just burn my system at the stake? Then the people sending the valid emails would call or fax me, and the junk stuff wouldn't get through, either.

Wow! You guys come up with the bestest solutions!

(And I know it's a wild idea, asking for technical support on Merry Host & Admin Day... I am just in such great need of help on this, I thought I'd try. Oh, well.)

(forgot to respond to ThePunk)

[ 23. October 2003, 14:59: Message edited by: Joyeux ]

--------------------
Float?...Do science too

St. Punk the Pious

Biblical™ Punk
# 683

quote:
Originally babbled by Joyeux:
quote:

Actually, could you just burn my system at the stake? Then the people sending the valid emails would call or fax me, and the junk stuff wouldn't get through, either.

Wow! You guys come up with the bestest solutions!

I know! [Big Grin] The stake is now burning in Hell. Feel free to throw your system in along with any hereticks you know.

--------------------
Wannabe Anglican, Reader
My reely gud book.

ChrisT

One of the Good Guys™
# 62

You could create a new Rule to send all junk mail from particular addresses to your junk folder. Go to Tools > Rules Wizard then follow the instructions.

If the junk email is spam then it's likely that it won#yt come from the same address twice, so this might not be too effective. What you need then is a mail filter program - MailWasher is good and free (www.mailwasher.net I think).

--------------------
Firmly on dry land

Joyeux

Ship's Lady of Laughter
# 3851

I've downloaded it... it's asking for my POP3 server address. How do I find it? Also, I should probably mention that this email account is through w*rk, on the company network.

Will this interfere / affect how Mail Washer works?

Thank you!

--------------------
Float?...Do science too

frin

Drinking coffee for Jesus
# 9

- Posted      Profile for frin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Joyeux, your e-mail provider's website may have a FAQ telling you how to configure e-mail access to its servers. This will have both the pop3 server and SMTP server addresses (you will need both). Otherwise, open your e-mail programme and hunt around the menus to look for your account settings. They will have boxes into which the server details are entered.

'frin

--------------------
"Even the crocodile looks after her young" - Lamentations 4, remembering Erin.

Posts: 4496 | From: a library | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChrisT

One of the Good Guys™
# 62

Joyeux, if you collect your email from a mail server on your companys network then really they should control spam and junk mail. That may be something to have A Word with your network administrator about.

However if all you do is use the internet connection at your work to connect to te internet and collect mails directly from an internet mail server then follow frins advice.

There is a quick way to (possibly) find the mail server. If your email address is joyeux@myisp.com then your mail server may be mail.myisp.com. Possibly. But no promises and YMMV.

--------------------
Firmly on dry land

Pheonix

Twisted fire starter
# 2782

New in my mailbox this morning. Warning about a variant of mymail thats been spreading quickly. It has quite a nasty payload.

Please update your anti-virus scanners to todays files to ensure you're protected. The virus dat files must have a date on or after 31st October 2003 to be effective against this virus. Stinger has been updated to cope with this virus.

For those that want the full information then direct from McAfee's website:
quote:

-- Update October 31st 2003 07:20 PST --
This worm was mass-spammed, which appears to have been the initial "seeding". An attachment named undelivered.hta (proactively detected as Downloader-BO.dr with the 4250+ DAT files) creates the file c:\mware.exe . This executable is the W32/Mimail.c@MM worm. When the .hta file is run, the following message is displayed:

Your message will be sent again in 1 hour. If it doesn't arrive - we will delete it from queue.

--
Due to the increased number of samples being submitted to AVERT, the risk assessment of this threat was raised to medium.
--

This mass-mailing worm spreads as a .ZIP file, contains a denial of service attack, and information stealing payload.

It bears similarities to a previous worm, W32/Mimail@MM . However, this variant does not use the codebase (MS02-015 ) and MHTML (MS03-014 ) exploits that the previous variants did.

A summary of the virus characteristics are as follows:
  • contains it own SMTP engine for constructing messages
  • mails itself as a ZIP attachment
  • harvests email addresses from the local machine
  • sends large volume of data (garbage) to a remote server - DoS payload (see below)
  • captures information and emails it to four addresses
Scanning of compressed files should always be enabled for optimal detection.

Mail Propagation
Target email addresses are harvested from files on the victim's machine. The worm ignores address extraction from files that contain the following extensions:
  • avi
  • bmp
  • cab
  • com
  • dll
  • exe
  • gif
  • jpg
  • mp3
  • mpg
  • ocx
  • pdf
  • psd
  • rar
  • tif
  • vxd
  • wav
  • zip
Addresses are written to the file EML.TMP in %WinDir% (such as c:\windows). Testing shows the worm is overly lax in identifying valid email addresses - as a result messages are likely to be sent to invalid recipients.

Outgoing messages are sent using the worm's own SMTP engine. They are formatted as follows:

Subject : Re[2]: our private photos (plus additional spaces then random characters)
Attachment : PHOTOS.ZIP (12,958 bytes) which contains PHOTOS.JPG.EXE (12,832 bytes)
Message Body :
Hello Dear!,
Finally, i've found possibility to right u, my lovely girl [Smile]
All our photos which i've made at the beach (even when u're withou ur bh:))
photos are great! This evening i'll come and we'll make the best SEX [Smile]

Right now enjoy the photos.
Kiss, James.
(random characters - the same as those terminating the subject)

Messages are constructed with the following X-headers:

X-Mailer: The Bat! (v1.62)
X-Priority: 1 (High)

The 'From' address of outgoing messages may be spoofed as follows:

james@(target domain.com)
Such as
james@abc.com
james@xyz.com
etc
As with previous variants, the mailing routing queries the mail server for the domain related to the target (harvested) address. Messages are then sent through that SMTP server. The worm contains a hardcoded IP address (212.5.86.163).

Denial of Service
The worm sends a large amount of data to remote servers (port 80 and ICMP). The worm verifies that a connection is active by contacting www.google.com. If successful, an attack is initiated on the following domains:

darkprofits.net
darkprofits.com
www.darkprofits.net
www.darkprofits.com
Information stealing payload
The following email address are encrypted within the virus body and are used to send captured information to. Analysis of the exact information gathered is ongoing.

omnibbb@gmx.net
drbz@mail15.com
omnibcd@gmx.net
kxva@mail15.com

[ 03. November 2003, 09:05: Message edited by: Phoenix/Pheonix ]

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mimail is proliferating nicely at the moment - now onto Version H.
Woodpecker
Shipmate
# 4030

- Posted      Profile for Woodpecker     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is it possible to change my log-in in the cafe - I would prefer to go straight in as "Woodpecker", rather than displaying some of my personal details which make up my log-in name.
Posts: 117 | From: Dorset, near the harbour | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Try this:

Type "Woodpecker" in the name box. Click the "Guest" box. Leave the password box blank.

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ms Lilith
Shipmate
# 1767

- Posted      Profile for Ms Lilith   Email Ms Lilith   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I dont know whether this is a ship issue or my issue but maybe there will be some clever people out there who can help me.

Im using a lovely iBook on OS10.2 Im using Safari (newish web browser for Macs)

When I go to the front page of the bulletien boards I neither get the the advert or the menu bar. My computer dowmloads two files called bulletin ad and 4menu places them on my desktop. If you click to open them you see gobbledegook.

This is annoying if you keep returning tot he front page as you end up with lots of icons on your desktop to put in the trash.

Ive tried deleting cookies, re setting safari, emptying cache and it still happens?

The ship is the only site I have a problem with. Any ideas?

Posts: 266 | From: birmingham | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChrisT

One of the Good Guys™
# 62

Mrs Lilith, it looks like your installation of Safari is having problems rendering frames or JavaScript, possibly both. There is a description of some common Safari problems here http://dhtmlkitchen.com/experiment/safari/index.html but nothing that looks like it could be causing your symptoms.

Do you have any other browsers installed? Konqueror, Opera, Mozilla? Try one of those and see if they work OK. Someone with more Mac experience than me may be able to help you more.

--------------------
Firmly on dry land

markporter
Shipmate
# 4276

- Posted      Profile for markporter   Author's homepage   Email markporter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
yay! a fellow safari user!
Posts: 1309 | From: Oxford | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ms Lilith
Shipmate
# 1767

- Posted      Profile for Ms Lilith   Email Ms Lilith   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Now I'm having real problems. I can’t get to the bulletin boards at all. (I’m at work now and it’s fine here)

I've reset Safari. And that didn’t work. Now it wont even load the main part of the site. So I thought maybe its Safari and I tried Explorer which will let me go to the main site but says it cant find the bulletin boards. So I downloaded Opera – same result. I've downloaded Netscape – same. If I follow a specific link from the front page, like to one of the meets, in opera or Netscape I get the bar down the side and the advert and an error message.

I've talked to Geeky friends. One Mac geek says he can’t think of anything that should be causing it that would affect all browsers except Java so update the system and see if you need Java updating. I've updated the system and now Safari will go to the main site but not the boards. My other geeky friend sent me links to other sites which use UBB to see if I could go to them and I can without a problem. Geek1 wonders if it’s a problem with my ISP but why would it only affect this site? (I'm with Fish)

Oh yes and I've deleted cookies.

Any ideas? Help. Please

ChrisT

One of the Good Guys™
# 62

Mrs Lilith, you seem to have tried everything obvious. But have you tried getting a decent PC, instead of those wierd Mac efforts? [Biased]

Your geeky friend is partly right, although the only time Java is used on this site is for the cafe. JavaScript is used to load the frames system around any page you select, and it looks like that is the problem. Try using this link: http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/UBB/ultimatebb.cgi which will take you directly to the (non-framed) boards. However we don't recommend anyone does this. Firstly you will lose the menu on the left hand side of the site, and secondly the Ship will lose income from the adverts that appear at the tope of the page.

However that link will tell you if your browser is seeng the board at all. From there we should narrow the search for the source of the problem down a bit more.

--------------------
Firmly on dry land

Ms Lilith
Shipmate
# 1767

I have emailed that link to myself and will try it tonight. Thanks, I'll let you know how it goes.
Ms Lilith
Shipmate
# 1767

Tried the link

Safari - Could not open the page
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/UBB/ultimatebb.cgi because the
server forum.ship-of-fools.com could not be found.
Netscape - forum.ship-of-fools.com can not be found. Please check the
name and try again
Opera - http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/UBB/ultimatebb.cgi
could not locate remote server
Explorer - the specified server can not be found

If I try "http://www.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/UBB/ultimatebb.cgi"
(which was an accident) I get the front page of the broads but none of
the links work

If I try
http://ship-of-fools.com/UBB/frameit.htm?http://forum.ship-of-
fools.com/cgi-bin/UBB/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=001375 (link
from the front page) I get the bar down the side and a box with no
picture but the words 'Click here for the ship of fools US tour' and
nothing else.

curious huh?

ChrisT

One of the Good Guys™
# 62

Mrs Lilith, I'm sorry to say this, but I think you have something seriously wrong with your machine or network settings. That first link should work no matter what browser or platform you access it from. As your machine is a Mac I have to pass this over to someone with more experience with me - perhaps Amorya or one of the other Mac experts is available?

--------------------
Firmly on dry land

Paul W.

Shipmate
# 1450

- Posted      Profile for Paul W.   Author's homepage   Email Paul W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's some sort of DNS problem, because it's finding the www. server fine, but not resolving the forum. server. DNS is the system which converts nice easy-to-remember names like forum.ship-of-fools.com into numerical addresses like 64.239.78.13. You might want to get in touch with Fish and see if they have any suggestions, but if they sent you any information that mentioned DNS or DNS servers, it might be worth double checking your settings for this.

Paul W

--------------------
"It's just a ride" - Bill Hicks

Blog
Flickr

Posts: 2835 | From: Leeds, UK | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChrisT

One of the Good Guys™
# 62

I find that unlikely Paul, there are loads of other people here using Fish (myself included, from some machines) and they don't have that problem. However it is wierd and does seem to be more a network problem than anything else.

--------------------
Firmly on dry land

Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post 
I had that problem a few days ago (remember, Chris?). Any link that had "forum" in the url bombed out. I could get to it if I deleted that from the url, but it was a pain in the ass. Turned out that my employer was having network difficulties.

--------------------
Commandment number one: shut the hell up.

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChrisT

One of the Good Guys™
# 62

Yeah, I remember. Hmm. Maybe the DSN settings for shipffools.com need refreshing. Clear out the system, as 'twere. But it's still wierd - especially if Mrs Lilith is connecting through fish.co.uk.

--------------------
Firmly on dry land

Joyeux

Ship's Lady of Laughter
# 3851

quote:
Originally posted by ChrisT:
Joyeux, if you collect your email from a mail server on your companys network then really they should control spam and junk mail. That may be something to have A Word with your network administrator about.

However if all you do is use the internet connection at your work to connect to te internet and collect mails directly from an internet mail server then follow frins advice.

There is a quick way to (possibly) find the mail server. If your email address is joyeux@myisp.com then your mail server may be mail.myisp.com. Possibly. But no promises and YMMV.

It's mail through the company's server. The good news is that they're FINALLY starting to implement a filter... actually they're starting to label SPAM where they detect it. I've had to notify them of a dozen plus fals positives. The theory is that, once they work through the false positives, after a few months, SPAM will be automatically deleted.

Yeah, right.

Let's hear it for a new rule: emails with SPAM in the subject move to deleted items.

Of course, all this started after I got back in the office, so I had 200+ pieces of junk mail to sort through. [Roll Eyes]

On another front, a colleague has had a hotbar install itself on her machine (she most likely clicked something she shouldn't have). How do you uninstall it? (we're both using Windows XP) I tried going into the add/remove programs, but it wasn't there. I did a find, found it on her hard drive, tried to delete it, but it wouldn't let me. Or is it harmless and can stay?

--------------------
Float?...Do science too

Paul W.

Shipmate
# 1450

- Posted      Profile for Paul W.   Author's homepage   Email Paul W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisT:
Yeah, I remember. Hmm. Maybe the DSN settings for shipffools.com need refreshing. Clear out the system, as 'twere. But it's still wierd - especially if Mrs Lilith is connecting through fish.co.uk.

I know next to nothing about DNS, so this might not be related in any way, but:

I used the dnsreport.com site to check for any problems with the shipoffools.com domain ( see here ) and it came up with the following error:

----------
ERROR: One or more of the nameservers listed at the parent servers are not listed as NS records at your nameservers. The problem NS records are:
ns2.ship-of-fools.com.
----------

Is that going to affect it in any way?

Paul W

Posts: 2835 | From: Leeds, UK | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChrisT

One of the Good Guys™
# 62

Thanks Paul, that's a useful site. I'm not sure if that's the problem (my knowledge of DNS is dodgy as well) but I'll contact the server people to make sure everything is running correctly. However my guess is that if all domains and subdomains are working from most ISPs, which they are, and from fish.co.uk on most machines as well, which they are, then the problem lies elsewhere. But then again I've been wrong before and I'll be wrong again before I shuffle off.

--------------------
Firmly on dry land

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Joyeux:
On another front, a colleague has had a hotbar install itself on her machine (she most likely clicked something she shouldn't have). How do you uninstall it? (we're both using Windows XP) I tried going into the add/remove programs, but it wasn't there. I did a find, found it on her hard drive, tried to delete it, but it wouldn't let me. Or is it harmless and can stay?

It's probably spyware that tracks your every move on the internet and reports back to whatever sent it, for whatever purpose. If it's an uninvited guest, you're better off getting rid of it. Deleting it manually (if you can) isn't always the best thing to do as sometimes they alter the Registry and your configuration to suit themselves, and may screw up your pc if they don't have the bit you just deleted. You need something like Spybot, which is pretty good at detecting and removing these things. It will also warn you in future if things like this are downloading themselves, and will block it before it happens.
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is a hot bar anything like a hot tub? If so, how can I get one for my computer?

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a man with a dirty computer will want to give it a bath.
Woolly Hat

Ship's headgear
# 3567

- Posted      Profile for Woolly Hat     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Cafe related question coming up....

I haven't been able to get into the cafe (clicked on connect and nothing happened) and having checked the FAQs I realised my version of Java didn't support it, etc, etc. So I uninstalled it and installed version 1.3.1 as per instructions. Now whenever I enter my cafe log in details I get an interesting sound and a box popping up telling me I need Java virtual machine. It gives me the option of 'download on demand', I click download, it appears to download, then nothing happens. I checked in my control panel and there don't seem to be any Java related bits in there, *but* there is the 'Java' file I created on my C drive to save the download into, and the Java stuff appears to be in there. Why? How? Who? What?

Now, did any of that make sense to anyone? Anyone?

Posts: 373 | From: Scotland | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pheonix

Twisted fire starter
# 2782

Warning for all IE users....
quote:
An issue was identified yesterday with Internet Explorer and the way it displays URLs in the address bar.

From the original Bugtraq posting:

"By opening a window using the http://user@domain nomenclature an attacker can hide the real location of the page by including a 0x01 character after the "@" character. Internet Explorer doesn't display the rest of the URL making the page appear to be at a different domain. "

Proof of Concept http://www.zapthedingbat.com/security/ex01/vun1.htm

This is particularly pertinent given the recent spate of emails from fraudulent online banking sites, such as those pretending to be Natwest. This problem makes these types of scams a great deal harder for end users to spot, as it is now possible to have eg www.natwest.com appear in the address bar when the end user is looking at a fraudulent site.

There is as yet no fix from Microsoft for this issue, nor is there a workaround for Internet Explorer.

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Use Opera
Make sure redirects cause prompts

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

I had an email sent to me at work yesterday asking me to click on the url and reactivate my Nat West account. I don't even have a Nat West account.
Gremlin
Ship's Cryptanalyst
# 129

- Posted      Profile for Gremlin         Edit/delete post 
And I had one a couple of days ago from 'Natwest' and another today, in exactly the same format, from Lloyds TSB.

I have dealings with both companies, but have never, ever, touched their internet banking systems!

Gremlin

--------------------
Too many freaks, not enough circuses.
Ahhh...I see the screw-up fairy has visited us again...
Oh I get it... like humour... but different.

Posts: 5221 | From: Isle of Man | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The mails apparently from banks are purely random. Just ignore them, like all other spam.

No reputable company uses email in this way.

It's like the weather. No one is picking on you any more than the clouds are picking on you when it rains.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  23  24  25 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016