homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's business   » The Styx   » Technical support (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  23  24  25 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Technical support
Amazing Grace*

Shipmate
# 4754

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace*   Email Amazing Grace*       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
The mails apparently from banks are purely random. Just ignore them, like all other spam.

No reputable company uses email in this way.

It's like the weather. No one is picking on you any more than the clouds are picking on you when it rains.

Actually if it's got an attachment with "click here", it's likely to be a virus. the attachment, besides setting off more mass mailing, will send your personal info to someone, the better with which to try to steal your identity.

But Ken is right - no reputable firm does business that way.

The "Fake microsoft patch" virus is hitting my mailbox pretty hard with "Apply this patch immediately".

Charlotte

--------------------
.sig on vacation

Posts: 2594 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm having trouble getting into the Cafe.

The system starts to load the applet and then everything comes to a screeching halt with:

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: digi.digichat.DigiChatApplet

and indeed a search doesn't find any such file.

I'm using Mac OS X 10.2.8; Safari 1.0v85.5 (same thing happens w/Chimera 0.6 -- old, I know).
Java is 1.3.1.

I looked for a place to download the Applet on DigiChat's site but they don't appear to provide it. (Duh)

I used to be able to get onto the Cafe from this machine but the problem started a couple of months ago.

Does anybody have a better idea than installing Panther and trying that? [Catcalls from the Windows gallery will be ignored.]

Thanks,

b.

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Chocoholic
Shipmate
# 4655

- Posted      Profile for Chocoholic     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hi,

Can anyone help me with how to do superscripts on posts?
I found bold and italics but couldn't see anything about this.

Thanks

Choccie

Posts: 773 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
chukovsky

Ship's toddler
# 116

- Posted      Profile for chukovsky   Author's homepage   Email chukovsky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You might get more out of people posting that on the UBB Practice thread.

--------------------
This space left intentionally blank. Do not write on both sides of the paper at once.

Posts: 6842 | From: somewhere else | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chocoholic
Shipmate
# 4655

- Posted      Profile for Chocoholic     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks, have posted there.
Posts: 773 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pânts*

Ship's underwear
# 4487

- Posted      Profile for Pânts*   Author's homepage   Email Pânts*       Edit/delete post 
its probably my puter. but why cant i get onto certain threads. my puter keeps having an error box opening and then closing explorer. but i have surfed lots of other places and managed to post on some threads but not others. everytime i try to read the bristol meet thread in all saints it dies, and the random thread. and various others. why? [Confused]

--------------------
I'm not here any more. Dial 999 to get me. (No. Please don't really. Bit you could PM me on my new number cos I never get PMs!)

Posts: 8380 | From: The Stables | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pheonix

Twisted fire starter
# 2782

- Posted      Profile for Pheonix   Email Pheonix   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If you've already cleared out all temporary internet files then try a reinstall of IE... Also check for any rogue spyware on your PC using spybot or adaware.
Posts: 2384 | From: on the move. | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pânts*

Ship's underwear
# 4487

- Posted      Profile for Pânts*   Author's homepage   Email Pânts*       Edit/delete post 
phe phe... youre a star. tis sorted now cos phe is a clever bunny! [Axe murder]

[Snigger]

--------------------
I'm not here any more. Dial 999 to get me. (No. Please don't really. Bit you could PM me on my new number cos I never get PMs!)

Posts: 8380 | From: The Stables | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Time for this to go back onto page 1.

*bump*

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
from OOT's new thread in hell...

"Not that I’m not thankful..."

Can anyone else see the ??chinese?? character, or is it just this computer that is being creative?

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Can't see a thing, Kelly.

Apart from the english letters, obviously...

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Me neither.

FWIW I'm using a four-year-old Gateway computer with Netscape 6.2.3.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I occasionally get Chinese characters, mostly on one or two particular sites when they're using special characters, so I think the coding must be slightly different - I've hardly ever seen them here, although some months ago I did see that Wood had apparently posted entirely in Chinese, and Stoo had responded, which was intriguing.

Can't see anything anomalous in the post above, though.

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ok, I posted that on the library computer. Someone must have had a program running. (shrug)

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gremlin
Ship's Cryptanalyst
# 129

- Posted      Profile for Gremlin         Edit/delete post 
Or the browser had the document encoding set to one of the far eastern character sets that also supports western characters. (or Unicode, which has them all)

Gremlin

--------------------
Too many freaks, not enough circuses.
Ahhh...I see the screw-up fairy has visited us again...
Oh I get it... like humour... but different.

Posts: 5221 | From: Isle of Man | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
George Spigot

Outcast
# 253

- Posted      Profile for George Spigot   Author's homepage   Email George Spigot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Every time I log on to the ship I get the following flashing message. "You have 1 unread private messages".

The odd thing is that I've read all my messages and have no new ones. Anyone know why this happens?

--------------------
C.S. Lewis's Head is just a tool for the Devil. (And you can quote me on that.) ~
Philip Purser Hallard
http://www.thoughtplay.com/infinitarian/gbsfatb.html

Posts: 1625 | From: Derbyshire - England | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If you read a message and then use the Back button to return to the main boards, the message will end up looking like it hasn't been read. That's one possibility. Are any of your PM titles still showing up a different color from the others?
Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
George Spigot

Outcast
# 253

- Posted      Profile for George Spigot   Author's homepage   Email George Spigot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
OK i've clicked on all my messages and then clicked on my profile link insted of the back button. Now all my PM titles are showing up as the same color but I still get the message?

--------------------
C.S. Lewis's Head is just a tool for the Devil. (And you can quote me on that.) ~
Philip Purser Hallard
http://www.thoughtplay.com/infinitarian/gbsfatb.html

Posts: 1625 | From: Derbyshire - England | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
How does one edit one's post in the 2-minute time frame one is given to "make it say what you really meant?" Sorry, but I just can't figure it out.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Viola
Administrator
# 20

- Posted      Profile for Viola   Email Viola   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
How does one edit one's post in the 2-minute time frame one is given to "make it say what you really meant?" Sorry, but I just can't figure it out.

Hit the icon at the top of your post with a pencil and paper.

Actually - that sounds a little drunk and ambiguous - I hope you understand!

There's an icon showing a pencil and paper - hit that!

K.

--------------------
"If ye love me, keep my commandments" John 14:15

"Commandment number one: shut the hell up." Erin Etheredge 1971-2010

Posts: 4345 | From: West of England | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Viola:
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:

Hit the icon at the top of your post with a pencil and paper.

Actually - that sounds a little drunk and ambiguous - I hope you understand!

There's an icon showing a pencil and paper - hit that!

If you hover the mouse pointer over it, on most browsers it displays the text "Edit/delete post".

What works even better is to use Preview post before posting - no time limit involved.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

quote:
Originally posted by George Spigot:
OK i've clicked on all my messages and then clicked on my profile link insted of the back button. Now all my PM titles are showing up as the same color but I still get the message?

Is this still a problem for anyone? I notice it didn't get answered.
thursday+
Shipmate
# 5264

- Posted      Profile for thursday+   Email thursday+   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Right, this is probably a stupid question but...

I tried to go to the cafe just now, for the first time. i logged in fine, and got to the screen that says"Step right in...".

And I couldn't go any further. There was a box at the bottom that said 'connect' but it wasn't a button. I clicked on it just in case, but no.

Where am I going wrong?

I'm using Opera as my browser, if that's relevant.

--------------------
Jesus did not rise from the dead and announce, "A Blessed Easter! I'm the Second Person of the Trinity!," then spend the remaining days until his Ascension instructing the apostles in rubrics.
Newman's Own.

Posts: 392 | From: home is in your head | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by jlg:
quote:
Originally posted by George Spigot:

Is this still a problem for anyone? I notice it didn't get answered.
Sorry, I overlooked this. But I have no idea what might be causing the problem.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Quizmaster

Quick quipper
# 1435

- Posted      Profile for Quizmaster   Author's homepage   Email Quizmaster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by thursday:
I tried to go to the cafe just now, for the first time. i logged in fine, and got to the screen that says"Step right in...".

And I couldn't go any further. There was a box at the bottom that said 'connect' but it wasn't a button. I clicked on it just in case, but no.

Where am I going wrong?

I'm using Opera as my browser, if that's relevant.

Thursday, I stopped using Opera when the ship's cafe would not work with it. I tried Opera once again just now and Opera closed with an illegal operation and Java error on trying to access the cafe. Hope that helps. Bill Gates knows how to make other software fall over!

--------------------
The more questions I ask the more I ask fewer questions.
OR=========================================
The wise person does not know all the answers, but always asks the right questions.

Posts: 3326 | From: Exeter, Devon | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I asked about the cafe a while back and didn't get a reply.
I tried again this morning and I'm still getting the
class not found message.

Mac OS 10.2.8, JRE 1.3.1. I used the applet launcher as suggested in the FAQ.

The server is actually returning a 404 when the launcher sends a GET for the applet.

Here's what the page looks like:
code:
<applet codebase="/DigiChat/DigiClasses" code="digi.digichat.DigiChatApplet"
width="450" height="100" align="middle" archive="client.jar">
<param name=siteID value=1000>
<param name=preferredPort value=443>
</applet>

And here's what the launcher acutally requests:
code:
GET /DigiChat/DigiClasses/digi/digichat/DigiChatApplet.class HTTP/1.1

Which isn't at all the same thing!

Any ideas here, or should I take it up with Apple?

b.

Belisarius
Lord Bountiful of Admin (Emeritus) Delights
# 32

- Posted      Profile for Belisarius   Email Belisarius   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Originally posted by Jack the Lass
quote:
Sorry if I missed it (I've trawled through all 4 pages of Styx but couldn't see it), but on a previous thread where people moaned about not being able to get into the cafe someone very helpfully posted a link in order to download the correct version of Java. Since I've had my super-duper new computer (hooray!) I've not been able to get into the cafe (boo!), but don't know which Java version I need or how to access it.

Thanks for your help [Smile]

Originally posted by PaulW
quote:
If you follow the FAQ link on the cafe page, you'll find a handy guide entitled Help, I can't get in the cafe. That should have the information you require.

--------------------
Animals may be Evolution's Icing, but Bacteria are the Cake.
Andrew Knoll

Posts: 8080 | From: New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jen.

Godless Liberal
# 3131

- Posted      Profile for Jen.   Email Jen.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ok. I have the right Java, the machine has connected to the cafe frequently before, but today all I get is the 'applet started' message in the grey bar at the bottom of the screen. then that stays there for ages and the cafe does not load.

any ideas anyone?

J

--------------------
Was Jenny Ann, but fancied being more minimal.

Posts: 5318 | From: Manchester, England | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
dolphy

Lady of Perpetual Responsiblity
# 862

- Posted      Profile for dolphy   Email dolphy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
same problem here.

--------------------
Looking forward to my rock moving closer again.

Posts: 15134 | From: my camper van | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
dolphy

Lady of Perpetual Responsiblity
# 862

- Posted      Profile for dolphy   Email dolphy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Forgive double post but all seems fine now.

--------------------
Looking forward to my rock moving closer again.

Posts: 15134 | From: my camper van | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Belisarius
# 32

- Posted      Profile for Belisarius   Email Belisarius   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
basso/Tallulah/Dolphy:

I've been told that there is info in the FAQs about using the Applet Launcher. Have you already tried that?

--------------------
Andrew Knoll

basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

quote:
Originally posted by Belisarius:

I've been told that there is info in the FAQs about using the Applet Launcher. Have you already tried that?

Yes, as I mentioned in my post.

b.

QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've had the same problem with both front and back door. Yesterday and today. First time I've had freetime to spend in the cafe for ages. Sod's law. (Should we have a gallic shoulder-shrugging smilie?)

[ 23. February 2004, 16:55: Message edited by: Qlib ]

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Belisarius
# 32

quote:
Originally posted by basso:
Yes, as I mentioned in my post.

Quite right. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
Andrew Knoll

Paul W.

Shipmate
# 1450

- Posted      Profile for Paul W.   Author's homepage   Email Paul W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
How much of an Organ Fund donation would I have to make to get the cafe upgraded to something that doesn't cause all these hassles?

I was messing about with a computer at work trying to connect to the cafe last week, and it wouldn't do it, no matter what I tried.

If you're having problems, post your browser version, operating system version, and any other information you think might be useful.

Paul W

--------------------
"It's just a ride" - Bill Hicks

Blog
Flickr

Posts: 2835 | From: Leeds, UK | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Paul W.

Shipmate
# 1450

- Posted      Profile for Paul W.   Author's homepage   Email Paul W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Right, those with cafe problems:

To make sure you have the right version of Java installed, visit the following link:

http://javatester.org/version.html

Wait for the java box to load up, and it will tell you your version. Make sure this is one of the ones specified on this page.

Paul W

--------------------
"It's just a ride" - Bill Hicks

Blog
Flickr

Posts: 2835 | From: Leeds, UK | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amorya

Ship's tame galoot
# 2652

- Posted      Profile for Amorya   Email Amorya   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just a note to Mac users...

The Applet Launcher method was the best route when using MacOS 10.2. For any of you using MacOS 10.3, this is no longer the best route (since it doesn't work). However, in this version, you should be able to go through the browser like normal. Or you can enter http://cafe.shipoffools.com/cafe_body2.html into your browser if all else fails.

Amorya

Posts: 2383 | From: Coventry | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Spouse

Ship's Pedant
# 3353

- Posted      Profile for Mr. Spouse   Email Mr. Spouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've just got myself a trendy new Smartphone so I can visit the Ship while on the train. [Big Grin]

It's a Motorola MPx200 running MS Smartphone 2002 software. One thing I have noticed is that when browsing a thread the "Posted 25 February, 2004 18:58" bit just shows "Posted" and nothing else. Which is VERY confusing on threads that are new to me as I've no idea how long they've been around!

Is there a reason why this happens? Is it linked, possibly, to the fixed table width for posts, which is a pain to read on a 176 x 200 browser [Frown] ?

[inserted the right time [Smile] ]

[ 25. February 2004, 17:59: Message edited by: madferret ]

--------------------
Try to have a thought of your own, thinking is so important. - Blackadder

Posts: 1814 | From: Here, there & everywhere | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
frin

Drinking coffee for Jesus
# 9

- Posted      Profile for frin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You could set the drop down menu to 'show only threads from last day' while using your phone, thus paring down the quantity of threads it is loading - or one of the other options, according to what you are looking for.

'frin

--------------------
"Even the crocodile looks after her young" - Lamentations 4, remembering Erin.

Posts: 4496 | From: a library | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amorya

Ship's tame galoot
# 2652

- Posted      Profile for Amorya   Email Amorya   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by madferret:
I've just got myself a trendy new Smartphone so I can visit the Ship while on the train. [Big Grin]

It's a Motorola MPx200 running MS Smartphone 2002 software. One thing I have noticed is that when browsing a thread the "Posted 25 February, 2004 18:58" bit just shows "Posted" and nothing else. Which is VERY confusing on threads that are new to me as I've no idea how long they've been around!

Is there a reason why this happens? Is it linked, possibly, to the fixed table width for posts, which is a pain to read on a 176 x 200 browser [Frown] ?

[inserted the right time [Smile] ]

It's because the Posted: display uses JavaScript, for some odd reason. Methinks we have UBB to blame for that - most boards process the times and dates on the server instead of handing it off to the browser.

Amorya

Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post 
It hands it off to the browser so that everyone can view it in their local time rather than being restricted to one specific time.

--------------------
Commandment number one: shut the hell up.

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Talitha
Shipmate
# 5085

- Posted      Profile for Talitha   Email Talitha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
How long is the "essay/sermon/profile" field supposed to be? I can only fit about 50 characters into it, which doesn't make for a very good essay.
(Actually I only wanted to put about 5 lines.)

Posts: 554 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Amorya

Ship's tame galoot
# 2652

quote:
Originally posted by Erin:
It hands it off to the browser so that everyone can view it in their local time rather than being restricted to one specific time.

Good motivation I guess. Although PHPBB manages to support local timezones while still doing server-side processing [Smile]

Amorya
(PHPBB advocate)

Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post 
This does all of the work for us, so I'm happy. If I had to actually program any of this shit, it'd be gone in a day.

quote:
Originally posted by Talitha:
How long is the "essay/sermon/profile" field supposed to be? I can only fit about 50 characters into it, which doesn't make for a very good essay.
(Actually I only wanted to put about 5 lines.)

It used to be really long, like paragraphs, but one of the upgrades changed that. I keep going back and forth on changing it: on the one hand, it's not enough room; on the other, it would make people's profiles look stupid until they went in and updated it.

Although now that I think about it, it could be fun... [Snigger]

--------------------
Commandment number one: shut the hell up.

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Having a blonde moment I'm afraid.

quote:
Originally posted by Belisarius:
Originally posted by Jack the Lass
quote:
Sorry if I missed it (I've trawled through all 4 pages of Styx but couldn't see it), but on a previous thread where people moaned about not being able to get into the cafe someone very helpfully posted a link in order to download the correct version of Java. Since I've had my super-duper new computer (hooray!) I've not been able to get into the cafe (boo!), but don't know which Java version I need or how to access it.

Thanks for your help [Smile]

Originally posted by PaulW
quote:
If you follow the FAQ link on the cafe page, you'll find a handy guide entitled Help, I can't get in the cafe. That should have the information you require.

So, I followed Paul's link, and in the Cafe FAQs there's a link to the Sun website from where I can download Java. However I think that the advice in the Cafe FAQ re connecting to Sun may now be out of date and need updating. I couldn't find a JRE column on Sun's site, it was all about J2SE (whatever the heck that is). There are also some archived versions available for downloading, several of which appeared to be variants of version 1.2.2, but I just know the version I choose to download will do something terrible.

(I'm not asking to be spoonfed here, but as this is a new computer I'm still twitchy about downloading stuff, especially old programmes, so want to be absolutely sure before I do anything I regret)

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lurker McLurker™

Ship's stowaway
# 1384

- Posted      Profile for Lurker McLurker™     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If you want the version that has sounds (1.3.1), go here, and click on the JRE column.

--------------------
Just War Theory- a perversion of morality?

Posts: 5661 | From: Raxacoricofallapatorius | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hmmm. Thanks Lurker, I downloaded that one all right, but it still won't let me into the cafe. I get the "DigiChat Applet thingy started" message, but never get any further.

Although judging by recent turn of conversation on the TnT thread, perhaps it's as well I can't get into the cafe - who knows what I'd be interrupting? [Eek!]

--------------------
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Are you using Windows, or a Mac?

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

Windows XP

--------------------
wiblog blipfoto blog

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Good, cos I don't know Macs very well ...

First I guess you should check the right version of Java is enabled, and also enable the Java console (this will report errors ... if you can post them here someone maybe able to see what's wrong).

In InternetExplorer, open the Internet Properties window (under Tools on the menu bar). Select the Advances tab ... somewhere in that list there will be a Java (Sun) section, make sure the use "Version 2 v1.3.1 for applet" option (or something similar to that) is checked, and also the "Enable Java Console" tab that will be somewhere below it.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  23  24  25 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016