homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's business   » The Styx   » Technical support (Page 8)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  23  24  25 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Technical support
Leetle Masha

Cantankerous Anchoress
# 8209

- Posted      Profile for Leetle Masha   Email Leetle Masha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Scratch that. I am unconfused.

season's greetings,

M

--------------------
eleison me, tin amartolin: have mercy on me, the sinner

Posts: 6351 | From: Hesychia, in Hyperdulia | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Hazey*Jane

Ship's Biscuit Crumbs
# 8754

- Posted      Profile for Hazey*Jane   Email Hazey*Jane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Leetle Masha:
I have a "ghost in the machine" tonight. Whenever I try to type the word Xmas spelled out in a pm, it gives me a string of asterisks!

Mary
[Confused]

I've just had that same thing happen to me posting on a Private board. Has Scrooge got into the board software again?
Posts: 4266 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Hazey*Jane

Ship's Biscuit Crumbs
# 8754

- Posted      Profile for Hazey*Jane   Email Hazey*Jane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh, I see. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 4266 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Paul W.

Shipmate
# 1450

- Posted      Profile for Paul W.   Author's homepage   Email Paul W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Hazey*Jane:
quote:
Originally posted by Leetle Masha:
I have a "ghost in the machine" tonight. Whenever I try to type the word Xmas spelled out in a pm, it gives me a string of asterisks!

Mary
[Confused]

I've just had that same thing happen to me posting on a Private board. Has Scrooge got into the board software again?
Again, have you failed to notice Erin's announcement above? Anything goes this weekend.

Paul W

--------------------
"It's just a ride" - Bill Hicks

Blog
Flickr

Posts: 2835 | From: Leeds, UK | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
jerusalemcross
Shipmate
# 12179

- Posted      Profile for jerusalemcross   Email jerusalemcross   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
From a relatively new Apprentice, this may belong in another thread but... when I want to quote from another message I can get it into "quotes" but I can't get it into bold by highlighting it and then hitting the "bold" key. Do I have to type out the whole quote into the space which comes up when I hit the "bold" key? what a bore!! I'm sure someone can help.... [Ultra confused]

Also is the protocol to say who you're quoting from when it's next to or quite close to your own reply? M thanx

--------------------
What's the difference between an organist and a terrorist? You can negotiate with a terrorist.

Posts: 305 | From: somewhere west of Eden | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Scot

Deck hand
# 2095

- Posted      Profile for Scot   Email Scot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There are several ways to do that with this software. Unfortunately one of them is not highlighting and clicking the bold button. You can copy and paste into the bold window. You can manually insert the bold tags around the text that you want bold. Probably the best way is to use the "reply with quote" button, which is the "" at the top of each post. That will give you the quote code, the bold code, the attribution to the poster, and the text, all with one click. Try it on the UBB practice thread if you aren't sure what I mean.

--------------------
“Here, we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it.” - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 9515 | From: Southern California | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
jerusalemcross
Shipmate
# 12179

- Posted      Profile for jerusalemcross   Email jerusalemcross   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks, Scot. Will try this. I've been playing with it and got it to work with manual coding a few times but doing it auto would be much easier.

--------------------
What's the difference between an organist and a terrorist? You can negotiate with a terrorist.

jerusalemcross
Shipmate
# 12179

me again, sorry. At the bottom of one of my recent posts was the notation "edited by..." and it wasn't me. what does this mean please, have I been naughty or something? I can't remember the full text of what I thought I wrote, is someone altering my posts (potentially changing my meaning) after I send them in?

Also how does one contact the board admin or hosts - can't find any link to them. But as it's so late I many be too bleary-eyed to find it!!
thanks v much

--------------------

Leetle Masha

Cantankerous Anchoress
# 8209

- Posted      Profile for Leetle Masha   Email Leetle Masha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've noticed, using Mozilla-Firefox to read and post on the Ship, a funny thing occasionally happening with my code, especially when I do a quote using the "quote" button in the Instant UBB code menu, and then inserting the "bold" so that the quote comes out in bold.... it often loses the final [/QUOTE] thing so that the bold and the quote get lines above them or below them, but not in the proper places.

I've been able to fix it when I noticed it happening in Preview Post by going back to my original typed post and cutting/pasting the codes in their proper places, but it's a drag!

M

--------------------

Posts: 6351 | From: Hesychia, in Hyperdulia | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leetle Masha

Cantankerous Anchoress
# 8209

Here's what happens when I don't fix it:

quote:

the quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog

See where the close quote thingie went?

Now, if I fix it by cutting and pasting the [/QUOTE] thingie, I get

quote:
the quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog
'Tis a puzzlement.

M

--------------------

Scot

Deck hand
# 2095

- Posted      Profile for Scot   Email Scot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by jerusalemcross:
me again, sorry. At the bottom of one of my recent posts was the notation "edited by..." and it wasn't me. what does this mean please, have I been naughty or something? I can't remember the full text of what I thought I wrote, is someone altering my posts (potentially changing my meaning) after I send them in?

Your post in Kerygmania was edited by Kelly Alves, one of the hosts of that board. When the hosts edit a post, they insert a note explaining what they did. In this case, Kelly left this note - [Fixed code] Evidently, there was some messed up code in your post and the host fixed it for you.

quote:
Also how does one contact the board admin or hosts - can't find any link to them. But as it's so late I many be too bleary-eyed to find it!!
thanks v much

You can contact us by posting here in the Styx, by PMing one of us. You can find the host and admins names and PM info by clicking the "Who's what" link in the left-hand menu.

--------------------
“Here, we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it.” - Thomas Jefferson

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Jerusalemcross--yeah, all I did was fix a quote tag--two, actually-- that went awry. Nothing major.

I guess in the wake of H&A Day I should have put a less terse explanation. [Big Grin] Sorry.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
jerusalemcross
Shipmate
# 12179

Hi both above, thanks for replies. As a relative newbie I'm not sure of anything except the posted rules! I've been playing with doing ever increasing complexities of using quotes and even though I preview stuff it's almost certain that I'll screw it up more than once before getting used to the system. I know my way round computers but not the super-fancy stuff. DTP and design are more my forte.

--------------------

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Leetle Masha, this is because of two things:

1. Only Internet Explorer will insert your button results at the cursor point in the Edit window. Other browsers always insert the button results at the end of the browser window.

2. The QUOTE and BOLD buttons work slightly differently: QUOTE just puts the paired [QUOTE ] [/QUOTE ] tags into the edit window. BOLD gives you a blank place to type in what you want bolded, before putting it into the edit window wrapped in the paired [BOLD ] [/BOLD ] tags.

So what you're seeing is exactly to be expected: the QUOTE pair is going in at the end, and then the BOLD pair, with the text that you specially get to type in a special window, goes in after that.

(ETA: You mentioned having to cut/paste to get the tags correct -- yes, absolutely. This is why I've learned the tags I use frequently so I type them instead of using the buttons (typing of course is fraught with its own hazards); also since I often decide about formatting after I've typed, or want to insert a quote higher up in my post, or some such, I'm always on the alert for knowing tags will go to the end and then moving them where I want them.)

[ 05. January 2007, 20:34: Message edited by: Autenrieth Road ]

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leetle Masha

Cantankerous Anchoress
# 8209

Many thanks, Autenrieth Road! I'd been having trouble in the past with IE, so I had begun using Mozilla-Firefox instead! I could, actually, now use IE again now that I've got my computer back into shape, I guess.... but I don't mind cutting and pasting, and I've just been practicing on the practice thread typing the tags myself instead of using the buttons.

After all, if I'm quick enough (workin' on it!) I can still fix them with the edit function if worst comes to worst.

Thanks again!

Mary

--------------------

Zoey

Broken idealist
# 11152

- Posted      Profile for Zoey   Email Zoey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've previously been told that once you log in to Ship of Fools on a particular computer then you're permanently logged in on that computer unless and until you log out. A couple of hours ago I was sat at the same internet cafe computer that I'm at now, when the internet cafe had a monumental server failure and told everyone to go away for an hour or two. I came back specifically in order to log out of SoF. I'm 95% sure I'm on the same computer, but I was not logged in when I returned to SoF 10 minutes ago. What happened?? [Confused]

--------------------
Pay no mind, I'm doing fine, I'm breathing on my own.

Posts: 3095 | From: the penultimate stop? | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Paul W.

Shipmate
# 1450

- Posted      Profile for Paul W.   Author's homepage   Email Paul W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A lot of internet cafes wipe all customer data when you finish using a machine, including cookies, which is what tells the computer to keep you logged in. This is for security, so that the next person who comes along to use that PC can't find out what you've been looking at or login automatically with the cookies you leave behind.

Of course, you can't guarantee that they will do this, so it's still best to log out of the Ship when you've finished.

Paul W

[ 06. January 2007, 18:37: Message edited by: Paul W. ]

--------------------
"It's just a ride" - Bill Hicks

Blog
Flickr

Posts: 2835 | From: Leeds, UK | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
JB

Independent Thinker
# 1776

- Posted      Profile for JB   Email JB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Some help with PMs, please.
  • My received PM count is 10, but none are displayed.
  • My sent PM count is 20, with only four displayed.
  • One of those is to Motherboard and it will not allow me to delete it - it says it is "private".
Is there some trick I am missing?

--------------------
You live, you learn
You learn, you live

Posts: 2588 | From: Land of Enchantment | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rosa Gallica officinalis
Shipmate
# 3886

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Gallica officinalis   Email Rosa Gallica officinalis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Preview post has just told me that the boards are closed for maintenance- it's a viscious lie! Thought this would be a good place to let the gremlin-hunters know.

--------------------
Come for tea, come for tea, my people.

Posts: 874 | From: The Hemlock Hideout | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That was quick! When our boards close at work it is hours before we get them back. I suppose it shows which is more important. Thanks.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A viscous lie? Is that one that sticks around?

(Be vewy vewy quiet, we're hunting gwemlins... [Biased] )

--------------------
Truth

Zoey

Broken idealist
# 11152

- Posted      Profile for Zoey   Email Zoey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Help! This irritating internet cafe 'puter always asks me whether I want Windows to remember my Ship password and today I absentmindedly clicked yes instead of no. I've tried to delete the 'puter's cookies and closed all my browser windows, but on returning to the Ship I find the puter still knows all my sign-in details as soon as I've typed 'm' into the username box. Is there anything more I can do or do I just need to pray that nobody who is minded to steal my Ship identity ever uses this particular computer?

--------------------

Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If it's in a 'Net cafe, they likely kill all the cookies every night, yes?

If you can make it through the day...

Can you contact whoever does the IT for the Cafe? Ask them how it is handled.

Hmmm. What can you tell us to prove that's really you right now?

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
HenryT

Canadian Anglican
# 3722

- Posted      Profile for HenryT   Author's homepage   Email HenryT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by mountainsnowtiger:
...I want Windows to remember my Ship password and today I absentmindedly clicked yes instead of no. ...

OK, this is not a cookie issue.

If it's IE, go Tools > Internet Options > Content tab
and click the "AutoComplete..." button. In the
"Autocomplete Settings" you'll find "Clear Passwords". Click it. You'll need to confirm the deletion.

While you're in there, turn off Use Autocomplete for "Usernames and passwords in forms".

Firefox I don't have on this box, so I can't give explicit directions.

Good luck!

P.S. changing you Ship password will protect you from abuse of this, if you can't get back to the same machine.

--------------------
"Perhaps an invincible attachment to the dearest rights of man may, in these refined, enlightened days, be deemed old-fashioned" P. Henry, 1788

Posts: 7231 | From: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Zoey

Broken idealist
# 11152

thank you - thank you - thank you - thank you
[Overused] [Overused] [Overused]

I am in IE and the 'puter now remembers that I am mountainsnowtiger, but doesn't fill in my password for me anymore.

Thank you so much Henry Troup, from a very relieved little tiger [Smile]

(ps - styx hosts who may be getting bored of me - hopefully I'm going to get my own puter and net access sometime in the next month, so you shouldn't have to suffer my net cafe woes much longer.)

--------------------

jerusalemcross
Shipmate
# 12179

Help again. Have been "accepted" onto the Via Media private board but can't find a way into it. Is there a link to it, clicking on the host name on the general info page about private boards brings no joy. Am I being totally dim or whatever???

--------------------

jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
PM a host of the board and ask again for the url address. Private boards don't have public direct links.
Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
AdamPater
Sacristan of the LavaLamp
# 4431

- Posted      Profile for AdamPater   Email AdamPater   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Or check a relevant host's "recent posts" list. If you've been granted access you'll be able to read any posts on the private board, which you can then bookmark.

--------------------
Put not your trust in princes.

Posts: 4894 | From: On the left of the big pink bit. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

- Posted      Profile for Erroneous Monk   Email Erroneous Monk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Since I had the operating system restored on my laptop (which may be completely irrelevant) the flag menu no longer works for me. If I click on say "10 Commandments", it doesn't open the link for me. If I right-click on it, I still cannot open the link, though "Open link in new window" does then work.

However, it is a bit of a nuisance to end up with lots of windows open rather than be able to navigate around using the flag menu.

Is there a way for me to get it to work again? Any advice appreciated.

--------------------
And I shot a man in Tesco, just to watch him die.

Posts: 2950 | From: I cannot tell you, for you are not a friar | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
orkney fan
Shipmate
# 11683

- Posted      Profile for orkney fan   Email orkney fan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
sorry to be a pain but if I try to change my profile I get this

Sorry, your profile has been specifically locked by the board admins. This means that you cannot make any changes to your registered profile information.

have I sinned in any way, I don't know of. If I have then I do apologise. I wanted to send some private messages, nice ones I promise but this means I can't.

Sorry if I am being very thick, I have checked FQA and I cannot see the answer, yes I am logged in and I have tried it more than once and I have tried deleting my cookies to not help

thank you [Help]

Posts: 144 | From: oxfordshire | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Orkney fan, have you changed your email address since registering? The main reason I've seen for this happening to other people is if the email address you registered with is no longer active, then if people send you a PM it just bounces back to an Admin, they get hacked off and lock the profile until a working email address is provided.

If that's not the reason, then I can't help, as it probably means you've sinned worse than I could ever imagine [Biased]

[good job my PhD isn't in correct word order]

[ 30. January 2007, 19:42: Message edited by: Jack the Lass ]

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
orkney fan
Shipmate
# 11683

- Posted      Profile for orkney fan   Email orkney fan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am still using my email address but my other half is doing something with the email address

how do I get in to change my email address if that is the problem?

and how do I atone for my sin?

Orkneyfan

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by orkney fan:

and how do I atone for my sin?

Sounds a rollicking thread title for Purgatory...

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Scot

Deck hand
# 2095

One of the requirements for participation here is that you keep a working email address on record. When you closed the address in your profile, all of your PM notifications started bouncing back to the admins, and one of them got tired of it.

If you want your profile to be unlocked, you will need to provide a working email address to one of the Member Admins.

Scot
Member Admin

--------------------

redoubt
Shipmate
# 9354

- Posted      Profile for redoubt   Email redoubt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have received my first PM, to which I have replyed. When I returned to the profile page the incoming PM seems to have disappeared.

I have not knowingly deleted it. How can I save PMs, I cannot see anything in FAQs to tell me, I just assumed that they would stay there until I deleted them.

--------------------
Cauliflower is almost edible if roasted and drowned in cheese sauce.

Posts: 153 | From: near the centre of England | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It should still be there under "sent private messages", with your reply attached to it just like a mini-thread.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
orkney fan
Shipmate
# 11683

my email address hasn't closed it just gets so much spam it is screwed I am only beinging to realise how badly screwed as I have lost several emails that I know of. Anyways if someone has the time a happy, working spam free email address is Jennywaller@btinternet.com please update me when you can and I will try not to sin again

sorry

Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by orkney fan:
my email address hasn't closed it just gets so much spam it is screwed I am only beinging to realise how badly screwed as I have lost several emails that I know of. Anyways if someone has the time a happy, working spam free email address is Jennywaller@btinternet.com please update me when you can and I will try not to sin again

sorry

Now you have provided a working email address, your profile has been amended. Go forth and sin no more.

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If I click from an index (Purg, or whatever), read a thread and then click "back", quite often I will only get the top bit of the index, down to where I was, more or less. If I return to that thread, and then click "back" again, I get the whole index.

Is this a special feature of my computer, or is it part of the joy of IE7?

Perhaps I should always got the "Go To" box at the bottom of each thread, but I'm not always at the bottom of the thread when I go "back".

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Was there ever a thread called Cafe problems?
Jahlove has had them and so have I. I couldn't get in at all yesterday and my cursor locked up a few minutes ago while I was listening to Radio 4 on BBC Radioplayer. I did select decaffeinated.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Do you mean something like this thread?

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm having trouble accessing the Flop Idol video. The page appears to open normally with a large QuickTime icon and a warning that it may take a moment to download then nothing happens. Mac G4 iBook Safari v 2.0.4 OS X10.4.8, and 333MHz iMac Safari 1.3.2 and OS X 10.3.9.

Any suggestions please?

[ 15. February 2007, 17:44: Message edited by: BroJames ]

Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
OK I've tried it again now and it worked. It just took way longer than I expected to get going.
Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zoey

Broken idealist
# 11152

sig test

(maybe I find this subject just a little bit emotive)

Can anybody help me out with my UBB ineptitude? Above (in the body of this post) you see the link which I want as my sig, all nicely coded. When I copy and paste it into my profile's sig space the code stops working. This does not the snow-tiger a happy bunny make.

--------------------

Zoey

Broken idealist
# 11152

(maybe I find this subject just a little bit emotive)

well, I'm not quite sure what went on there, but I think/hope it is sorted, so thank you to Ariel for providing me with a link to tinyurl.com

--------------------

HenryT

Canadian Anglican
# 3722

- Posted      Profile for HenryT   Author's homepage   Email HenryT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Had a fun one... I posted about the SCA as "medieval-ish" - except I wrote
code:
medieval(ish)

and had the error message
code:
Sorry, we do not permit the following HTML
tag or attribute: eval (

It took me a few seconds to spot it ... and yes, I know why it should be filtered out. And I know how to use the code tag to post this.

{ETA: line break}

[ 15. April 2007, 19:28: Message edited by: Henry Troup ]

--------------------
"Perhaps an invincible attachment to the dearest rights of man may, in these refined, enlightened days, be deemed old-fashioned" P. Henry, 1788

Posts: 7231 | From: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is there a way to get "[ I ]" to display as my text, without being taken as an italics tag? On an ecclesiantics thread I wanted this:
quote:
Originally posted by some wise Shipmate:
[ I ]f you have a basic understanding <etc., etc.>

for my quote began in the middle of the Shipmate's original sentence and his initial eye was lowercase.

I tried to place an escape in front of the square bracket (/[) to take the square bracket as a literal. This didn't work.

Can anyone help?

Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

You can use the numeric HTML code &#91; to produce [ . So typing &#91;I] results in the desired [I].

P.S. I googled "html left square bracket" (no quotes). I was hoping to find an HTML mnemonic code e.g. (hypothetical) &lbr; but couldn't locate one.

P.P.S. If I type a lone [I], ← bare just like that, it doesn't seem to try to start italics. Curious. It might have to do with whatever comes later in the post in terms of tags though. UBB practice thread, here I come...

--------------------
Truth

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

UBB tags come in pairs. So, a single tag (say [I]) won't do anything without a corresponding closing tag. But, if you want to put some italics in your post as well the results could be unpredictable (ie: I don't know where it would start the italics from).

--------------------

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

Yup. I was thinking "curious" compared to the results The Silent Acolyte was getting. None of my simple multi-following-tag experiments were producing vagrant italics, but I hadn't thought of starting more italics. Which I've now checked (thank you, Alan Cresswell), and the italics do indeed start at the earlier [I].

--------------------
Truth

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  23  24  25 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016