homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's business   » The Styx   » Technical support (Page 9)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  23  24  25 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Technical support
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Autenrieth Road:
You can use the numeric HTML code [ to produce [ . So typing [I] results in the desired [I].

[I]

amp-hash-9-1-semi-eye-leftSquareBracket. Yes. Of course. Silly me.

AR & Alan, thanks for the help.

Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Geneviève

Mother-Hatting Cat Lover
# 9098

- Posted      Profile for Geneviève   Email Geneviève   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
After my harddrive crashed (Windows2000), a friend put together one for me with WindowsXP, and Office 2003. Alas, when I went to sign into the Cafe, I found (I think) that windowsXP doesn't have java capability. I went on the Microft update website, and tried to figure out what was going on. It was total geekspeak which I could not understand (not having that capability in my brain).
would someone who does understand that language explain why WindowsXP doesn't have Java capability, and is it possible to get it, and if so how. The best I could figure out is that a lawsuit is the culprit but that doesn't help me get into the Cafe.
Thanks very much.
PS--I am not, obviously, highly computer proficient technically. Please write in lay terms. I will not be offended or feel patronized. I will be grateful.

[ 06. May 2007, 01:01: Message edited by: DaisyM ]

--------------------
"Ineffable" defined: "I cannot and will not be effed with." (Courtesy of CCTooSweet in Running the Books)

Posts: 4336 | From: Eastern US | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Scot

Deck hand
# 2095

- Posted      Profile for Scot   Email Scot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Daisy, Java isn't part of Windows; it's an additional free program. You can download the current version of Java here.

--------------------
“Here, we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it.” - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 9515 | From: Southern California | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Geneviève

Mother-Hatting Cat Lover
# 9098

- Posted      Profile for Geneviève   Email Geneviève   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks Scot...the problem was/is the unintellible message on Microsoft update had these dire warnings about Java support ending on Dec. 31, 2007, and making it sound as if one couldn't download it anymore from anywhere.
I'm also grateful for the simplicity of your reply [Smile] [Overused]

Posts: 4336 | From: Eastern US | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is it just coincidence or have the Ship's boards needed maintenance more often recently? Twice in the last day or so I have been informed that the boards have been closed for maintenace, not for more than a minute or so though.

Just curious. Hope recent events haven't caused any trouble.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

- Posted      Profile for Sarkycow   Email Sarkycow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
When we move threads to Oblivion, the boards automatically close themselves briefly, so they can tidy up their back catalogues etc. The closure tends to be long enough to be noticeable if there are a lot of threads to be moved (e.g. three or four pages worth).

Over the past few days we've been Oblivioning old threads from all the boards, hence the repeated brief closures.

Sarkycow, member admin

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.”

The Weeder
Shipmate
# 11321

- Posted      Profile for The Weeder   Author's homepage   Email The Weeder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am sure there is an obvious answer to this, but when I reply in a thread, and try to make a quote 'bold' I can not get the advice given in the 'what is UBB code?' work. Please help.
G

--------------------
Still missing the gator

Posts: 2542 | From: LaLa Land | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If you want the quote to be bold, click on the " mark at the top of the post you want to quote. Delete anything you do not want to quote, but be sure not to delete anything in square brackets.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jason™

Host emeritus
# 9037

- Posted      Profile for Jason™   Author's homepage   Email Jason™   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Tumphouse, if you want something to be bold, just put [ b ] before it, and [ /b ] after it, but don't use spaces between inside the [].

Quotes typically use [ qb ] and [ /qb ] for bold, but that does the same thing as the b tags.

[ 16. May 2007, 02:42: Message edited by: Professor Kirke ]

Posts: 4123 | From: Land of Mary | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Weeder
Shipmate
# 11321

- Posted      Profile for The Weeder   Author's homepage   Email The Weeder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
If you want the quote to be bold, click on the " mark at the top of the post you want to quote. Delete anything you do not want to quote, but be sure not to delete anything in square brackets.

Moo

Thanks Moo. And it works!
G

--------------------
Still missing the gator

The Weeder
Shipmate
# 11321

Tumphouse, if you want something to be bold, just put [ b ] before it, and [ /b ] after it, but don't use spaces between inside the [].

Quotes typically use [ qb ] and [ /qb ] for bold, but that does the same thing as the b tags.

And this one works too. Thanks.
GThanks

--------------------
Still missing the gator

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I just tried to go to a thread I started about a meet in June, but got "You have requested a thread that does not exist!". I used this link which I'd put at the bottom of my profile & which was working before.
I suspect it's because no-one has posted for a while (I wanted to give it a *bump*), but I know people are coming along & I wonder if there is any way of reviving the original thread, or should I start another one?

Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
daisydaisy

It does look as though the actual thread has gone - tho if you want it it's still (but perhaps not for long) cached on Google

Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Scot

Deck hand
# 2095

- Posted      Profile for Scot   Email Scot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Daisydaisy, it looks like your thread was Obliviated during a recent housecleaning in All Saints. I moved it back where it belongs (click here) . The url is different, so be sure to update the link in your sig.

I may have been a mean admin, but I'm the nicest former admin ever. [Biased]

--------------------
“Here, we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it.” - Thomas Jefferson

Mad Geo

Ship's navel gazer
# 2939

- Posted      Profile for Mad Geo   Email Mad Geo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We'll be the judge of that. [Biased]

--------------------
Diax's Rake - "Never believe a thing simply because you want it to be true"

Posts: 11730 | From: People's Republic of SoCal | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Scot:
Daisydaisy, it looks like your thread was Obliviated during a recent housecleaning in All Saints. I moved it back where it belongs (click here) . The url is different, so be sure to update the link in your sig.

Thank you [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by Scot:
I may have been a mean admin, but I'm the nicest former admin ever. [Biased]

The nicest former admin ever.... with a lost avatar - are you aware of this?
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Scot

Deck hand
# 2095

No, my avatar is right where it has always been. Are you not able to see it? There are some avatars that I don't see if I'm at work. The reason is that they are hosted on sites that are blocked by our network. Maybe you have something like that, although I can't imagine why anyone would bother blocking Earthlink websites.

--------------------

Loveheart

Blue-scarved menace
# 12249

- Posted      Profile for Loveheart   Email Loveheart   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I can't log in, under chat, it says my password is incorrect. So I changed my password, and it still doesn't work. Any ideas please?

--------------------
You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty. Mahatma Gandhi

Posts: 3638 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Have you got in the Cafe previously, or is this a new problem? Make sure you use your username not displayed name to login, and I recall some people once had problems with unexpected case sensitivity on the password (needing to type password with caps lock on, or something like that - it was a while back).

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Loveheart

Blue-scarved menace
# 12249

- Posted      Profile for Loveheart   Email Loveheart   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
D'oh! Thanks Alan, I was typing in my displayed name, not my username! [Hot and Hormonal] [Hot and Hormonal] [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty. Mahatma Gandhi

Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

- Posted      Profile for Bullfrog.   Email Bullfrog.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Got a question from a random friend who wants to join the ship...

Do you need to have java to join? She says that she can't join the boards because she's having trouble installing java...

Thanks in anticipation!

--------------------
Some say that man is the root of all evil
Others say God's a drunkard for pain
Me, I believe that the Garden of Eden
Was burned to make way for a train. --Josh Ritter, Harrisburg

Posts: 7522 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

- Posted      Profile for Bullfrog.   Email Bullfrog.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ach. Checked the registration requirements, and promptly answered my own question.

Mea culpa. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
Some say that man is the root of all evil
Others say God's a drunkard for pain
Me, I believe that the Garden of Eden
Was burned to make way for a train. --Josh Ritter, Harrisburg

Posts: 7522 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Tractor Girl
Shipmate
# 8863

- Posted      Profile for Tractor Girl   Author's homepage   Email Tractor Girl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Due to my complete lack of self-control and desire to actually get my dis written I need to be put on read only status for a month or so, so I can't log in.

Is this possible and how do I arrange it?

--------------------
Patience, Firmness and Perseverance were my only weapons; and those I resolved to use to the utmost - Anne Bronte

Posts: 1114 | From: The field of life | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Tractor Girl, as far as I'm aware (as in, I'm sure I've seen someone else ask this before) it's not possible, and you just have to be self-disciplined [Smile]

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tractor Girl:
Due to my complete lack of self-control and desire to actually get my dis written I need to be put on read only status for a month or so, so I can't log in.

Is this possible and how do I arrange it?

Can you log out and not log back in?

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you, Admin's, for straightening out my problem. I be happy now!
[Yipee]
PB4S

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mark Wuntoo
Shipmate
# 5673

- Posted      Profile for Mark Wuntoo   Email Mark Wuntoo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am changing my ISP - from tiscali (I guess I may not be the only person doing this!).

BUT I also am changing from a PC to a Mac (at my age?).

What do I do about keeping my present name / details? Or do I simply register again?

Are there any differences with the Mac that I should be aware of?

Thanks a lot.

[ 19. June 2007, 08:51: Message edited by: Mark Wuntoo ]

--------------------
Blessed are the cracked for they let in the light.

Posts: 1950 | From: Somewhere else. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If you go into your profile, you can edit your email address (assuming you'll no longer be using your existing email address - in which case you don't need to do anything). This will cause the system to send a new password to your new email address, and then you continue as normal using the new password to login (once logged in you can always change your password back if that'll make it easier to remember).

As far as I'm aware, there's no difference using a Mac to access the Ship (or, Linux for that matter). Some browsers do slightly different things with how the Ship boards are displayed, so you may experience similar differences. The main ones appear to be with how long character strings (usually URLs) are broken, or not, which means some people will have over-wide pages that others don't see. And, some browsers will put any smilies of UBB code entered using the 'Instant' options below the reply window at the end of the post, irrespective of where your cursor is, and others will insert them at the point where your cursor is.

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mark Wuntoo
Shipmate
# 5673

- Posted      Profile for Mark Wuntoo   Email Mark Wuntoo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Many thanks Alan

My e-mail address will be changing. Not being sure how it will work, I may not have my new address before tiscali cut me off.

However I have a yahoo address. So I think I'll go into the Profile, change to the yahoo address and then change again when I get the new ISP address. This way, I gather from your reply, my details will remain the same.

I think I can probably manage with the Mac changes.

All the best.

--------------------

Mark Wuntoo
Shipmate
# 5673

Alan

Thanks. So far so good. New password received. (But I'm not on the Mac yet!).

--------------------

Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Alan (or other techie person),

For some reason I cannot fathom, I am having to log in every time I post. I have no idea what's wrong. (I also do not have the "jump to news posts" feature showing, fwiw.)

[It won't let me into the hostly lounge, either. Was it something I said?] [Paranoid]

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It is also calling for my login and password for me to edit a post. [Paranoid]
Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

My first thought is "cookies". Have you tried clearing them, in case the cookie is somehow corrupted? If you go to "My Profile" (you'll probably have to type your user name and password there too) there's a "delete all cookies set by this board" link. Just above the text that says
quote:
Having a problem logging in? This can happen if the cookies have been set wrongly in your browser. Click the link above to clear your cookies so that the board can set fresh new ones.

--------------------

Scarlet

Mellon Collie
# 1738

- Posted      Profile for Scarlet         Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Campbellite:
It is also calling for my login and password for me to edit a post. [Paranoid]

If it turns out not to be a "cookies" solved problem; last weekend I endured this torture due to having downloaded a cafeteria of security protection: spyware, anti-virus, firewall and I forget what else (one more). Prior to that I only had anti-virus protection.

Immediately I was encountering the identical problem; I could see "Hello, Scarlett [Log out] but as soon as I attempted to post I would not be logged in. I attribute it to the firewall and since no amount of tinkering would stop the hindrance I uninstalled everything but the anti-virus.

Call me happy but subject to attack... [Smile] [Paranoid]

--------------------
They took from their surroundings what was needed... and made of it something more.
—dialogue from Primer

Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

Well, I think I got it fixed. I deleted the cookies, but oddly it didn't ask for my password when I went there. [Paranoid]

Still don't have the "jump to new posts" though.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Don't know if anyone else is finding this at the moment, but I am not getting a you have a new message alert anymore when I receive a pm.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Seems to be working again now, must be just one of them things ...

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Loveheart

Blue-scarved menace
# 12249

I can't get into the cafe any more. I get a java error, with a msg like http servlet address not specified.

I am running Vista, so it may have upgraded itself, but I have been able to access the Cafe with vista on this PC...

any ideas please?

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

If you read this thread (with a title that I'd be sure would be an attention grabber) all will become clear.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

There are links to alternative hang-outs on the All Saints cafe thread.

--------------------

Loveheart

Blue-scarved menace
# 12249

Sorry - put it down to two things, tiredness and a willingness to blame Vista for all the world's ills [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------

Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

- Posted      Profile for Yorick   Email Yorick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wotcha!

I feel very confident this will have been covered ad infinitum already, but can't be bothered to search for the answer...

I recently made a post to which I wished to make an Edit. Between making the correction and clicking 'Add Reply', the board's Flood Protection had come into operation, and I had to wait 120 seconds before I could hit 'Add Reply' again. During that time, I missed the edit window, of course.

Please would someone tell me whether the edit window really does need to be quite so short? At any rate, shouldn't the Flood Control time delay be shorter than the edit window (by at least a minute), so people get the chance to make an edit even if they encounter Flood Control?

Thanking you. [Smile]

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Posts: 7574 | From: Natural Sources | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by dogwonderer:
Please would someone tell me whether the edit window really does need to be quite so short?

We used to have a much longer edit window (when we were first permitted to edit our own posts), but this was abused. Consequently, we have ended up with our current very narrow window.

I'd encourage you to use Preview post as much as possible. If you do encounter something you want to fix after you've posted, with the current tight timeframe for editing I'd recommend just deleting the post and starting over (after you've copied the original text/code to your clipboard, of course).

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Why does two minutes seem so short for an edit window, but so long for flood control?
[Confused]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am having a login problem. I cannot login to the boards globally.

I've checked in cookies, and it shows a Ship cookie. I've asked for my login details to be resent, and they are ok.

If I post an individual post, it asks me to enter name and login, and that works fine.

Happens with both Mozilla and IE browsers.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

There are two common causes of this problem.

1) You have a corrupted cookie file. Try to clear cookies - if you can get into your profile there's a delete cookies link there, otherwise just delete the cookie you found.

2) You're using the wrong Ship address. Make sure you have forum.ship-of-fools.com (with hyphens) not forum.shipoffools.com (without hyphens)

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Cleared cache. Cleared cookies (though the address was correct). Specifically 'allowed' correct address.

Problem still there.

I will check tomorrow from my work connection.

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's interesting because I have a similar problem with my email account and a few other sites, but no problem here. If you figure out what's causing it Firenze, do tell.

<tangent>
By the way, Firenze, it took me a moment to figure out why there was a reference to a shipmate in my harry potter book a few days ago. [Smile]

[ 30. July 2007, 01:23: Message edited by: Gwai ]

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

- Posted      Profile for Sarkycow   Email Sarkycow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by dogwonderer:
I recently made a post to which I wished to make an Edit. Between making the correction and clicking 'Add Reply', the board's Flood Protection had come into operation, and I had to wait 120 seconds before I could hit 'Add Reply' again. During that time, I missed the edit window, of course.

Please would someone tell me whether the edit window really does need to be quite so short? At any rate, shouldn't the Flood Control time delay be shorter than the edit window (by at least a minute), so people get the chance to make an edit even if they encounter Flood Control?

I think you are a little confused?

If you make a post and then wish to edit it, you click the pencil and paper icon at the top of your post. This takes you to the edit screen, where you have a short amount of time to make a minor correction.

If you wish to make a major correction, I advise you to go to the edit screen, copy your post to notepad, Word, etc. then delete the post from the Ship. You can then amend the post, taking as long as you need. When you have finished, go back to the thread, click on 'add reply', and copy your new post across.

Preview Post really is your very good friend though - before you post, you have unlimited time to read it through, check it, and make any amendments you need to. By clicking 'preview post', you will be shown how your post will look when it is posted. Then you can thoroughly check it.

Flood control is different from edit time. Flood control stops you from making a second post on any thread or sending a PM within 2 minutes of making a previous post. This measure slowers spammers down. It also encourages people to think a little more carefully about what they are posting.

So flood control shouldn't stop you from editing your post.

Sarkycow

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.”

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Still no joy on the Login problem: I ran ALL my security software, updated Mozilla, 'allowed' the site in cookies, but to no avail.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  23  24  25 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016