homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's business   » The Styx   » UBB Practice Thread (Page 106)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  103  104  105  106  107  108  109  110  111  112 

Source: (consider it) Thread: UBB Practice Thread
agingjb
Shipmate
# 16555

- Posted      Profile for agingjb   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
sig

--------------------
Refraction Villanelles

Posts: 464 | From: Southern England | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged
agingjb
Shipmate
# 16555

- Posted      Profile for agingjb   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well the sig changed here, and, randomly, in some earlier posts. There must be reasons, but who knows? I assume the new sig will, sooner or later, propagate.

--------------------
Refraction Villanelles

Posts: 464 | From: Southern England | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sig
Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Steve Langton
Shipmate
# 17601

- Posted      Profile for Steve Langton   Email Steve Langton   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hi. I'm wanting to post up some links to my blog in a thread and unfortunately I didn't get the computer genius version of Asperger's. Can someone please give me some fairly detailed help with this.

I want to post both a link to the blog itself and links to particular posts thereon. Whoever's going to help probably needs to look at the arrangement of the blog so as we both know what we're talking about. If you Google up stevesfreechurchblog - just like that, no spaces or other frills - you should find it.

Posts: 2245 | From: Stockport UK | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Langton:
Hi. I'm wanting to post up some links to my blog in a thread and unfortunately I didn't get the computer genius version of Asperger's. Can someone please give me some fairly detailed help with this.

I want to post both a link to the blog itself and links to particular posts thereon. Whoever's going to help probably needs to look at the arrangement of the blog so as we both know what we're talking about. If you Google up stevesfreechurchblog - just like that, no spaces or other frills - you should find it.

A couple of thoughts come to mind.

You could add the link to your Signature. Go to "My Profile" at the top of the page and then to "View/Update Profile". Scroll down and you'll see a box for your Signature. Copy and paste the link there. I believe it is https://stevesfreechurchblog.wordpress.com/

If you are linking to something specific to contribute to a thread, my personal preference would be for you to just re-write what you want to say in the thread.

To link to a page, just click on the "URL" button when typing in the box that opens to add your reply and you will be prompted to paste in the link address there. Clicking on your blog post title brings up just that blog entry and gives you the address for copying and pasting directly to that post.

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Please be mindful of posting links to your own material, as we take a very dim view of advertising in posts. The only exception is, as mentioned, links in signatures.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Steve Langton
Shipmate
# 17601

- Posted      Profile for Steve Langton   Email Steve Langton   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
by Rook;
quote:
Please be mindful of posting links to your own material, as we take a very dim view of advertising in posts. The only exception is, as mentioned, links in signatures.
Oops! Sorry, Rook, I hadn't realised there would be such a bar on 'personal' links. I'd just been thinking it would be much more convenient if I could link people to that material rather than going over it at length on thread where some of it might be relevant to a particular person's query but rather tangential to the thread. My blog is actually non-commercial, just a place I express opinions. I'll try ASAP to get the link into my signature. Thanks.

Thanks also to lily pad for the practical advice.

Posts: 2245 | From: Stockport UK | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There are times when people want to explain something in considerable length, and quite often a post on our boards doing that would be inappropriate. In which case putting the long explanation in a blog, and linking to that from the thread where it is relevant is appreciated.

But, if you do that bear in mind that people will often only read what you post here - so you will need to post a summary on the boards as well. A simple "read this on my blog" with nothing more is likely to kill a conversation rather than further it. As a guide I will post enough of a summary that the post stand alone and is comprehensible in it's own right, and assume that no one will actually bother with following the link and reading what I link to.

That is true whether you're linking to your own blog or something else.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
siggity sig sig sig

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
🐔

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
🐘 🐞 🐤 🐰

🐙 🐟 🐥 🐫

🐚 🐠 🐦 🐬

🐛 🐡 🐧 🐭

🐜 🐢 🐨 🐮

🐝 🐣 🐩 🐯

Thanks Patdys!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Boogie, all I see there is little boxes with the word GIF on them. I presume I am supposed to see something else???

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
On my Windows machine at work, they were all meaningless boxes. On my Mac at home, they're stupid little emojis.

I think the boxes were preferable.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's also browser specific. On IE I get nasty little picture things. On Chrome I get nice, simple square boxes.

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sorry, one step closer to being planked.
My bloody iPhone brought them up and I was curious to see if the good ol mac would recognise them.

Now, to restart TICTH, a lent thread and complain ITTWACW.
And BTW, Christmas isn't far away.

But truly, sorry, I am a curious sod.

[ 07. April 2015, 07:54: Message edited by: Patdys ]

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

I think this thread is a reasonable place to see how things are rendered by the software. In this case the answer is "inconsistently" (though, that could be the answer to most questions about what this software does), so it would be a bad idea to rely on such little graphic things to convey anything for someone else to read.

--------------------

Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

I struggle enough with words.
Those 26 little character things can be a right royal pain.

--------------------

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
______
< help >
------
\ /\ ___ /\
\ // \/ \/ \\
(( O O ))
\\ / \ //
\/ | | \/
| | | |
| | | |
| o |
| | | |
|m| |m|

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
sig

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
sig test.

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

- Posted      Profile for Barefoot Friar   Email Barefoot Friar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sig sig sig, sig sig, sig sig sig,
Siggy sig, sig sig sig sig.

--------------------
Do your little bit of good where you are; its those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world. -- Desmond Tutu

Posts: 1621 | From: Warrior Mountains | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

- Posted      Profile for Barefoot Friar   Email Barefoot Friar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And a second test. I make that as a line and a half.

--------------------
Do your little bit of good where you are; its those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world. -- Desmond Tutu

Posts: 1621 | From: Warrior Mountains | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
sig test
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
No sig
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

Third attempt
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sig test

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sig test

--------------------
Books and things.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A lot more people should click on this link.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
ditto

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Tina
Shipmate
# 63

- Posted      Profile for Tina   Email Tina   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
test [Razz]

--------------------
Kindness is mandatory. Anger is necessary. Despair is a terrible idea. Despair is how they win. They won't win forever.

Posts: 503 | From: South London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Test

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Test again

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Meike
Shipmate
# 3006

- Posted      Profile for Meike   Email Meike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Greek script and transcript

καὶ ἐλθὼν ἐκεῖνος
kai elthōn ekeinos

--------------------
“A god who let us prove his existence would be an idol” ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Posts: 250 | From: I like this place | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

testing, voting

--------------------

Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
sig test
Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Test.

[ 16. June 2015, 14:34: Message edited by: Gwai ]

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
先生

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
sig test

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sig test

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
krak the grosz in wyrz?

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

test

Yay, bug fixes!

--------------------

Pancho
Shipmate
# 13533

- Posted      Profile for Pancho   Author's homepage   Email Pancho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
testing 1 2 3

t̶e̶s̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶1̶ ̶2̶ ̶3̶

--------------------
“But to what shall I compare this generation? It is like children sitting in the market places and calling to their playmates, ‘We piped to you, and you did not dance;
we wailed, and you did not mourn.’"

Posts: 1988 | From: Alta California | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
sig

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

sig test

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ah sunflower weary of time
(sig test)

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
that countest the steps of the sun
(sig test 2)

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Desperate times, etc.

--------------------

Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

Desperate times here too.

--------------------
Books and things.

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

sig

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  103  104  105  106  107  108  109  110  111  112 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016