homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's business   » The Styx   » UBB Practice Thread (Page 107)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  104  105  106  107  108  109  110  111  112 

Source: (consider it) Thread: UBB Practice Thread
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Second try

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jammy Dodger

Half jam, half biscuit
# 17872

- Posted      Profile for Jammy Dodger   Email Jammy Dodger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Signify sig sig sig

--------------------
Look at my eye twitching - Donkey from Shrek

Posts: 438 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged
Jammy Dodger

Half jam, half biscuit
# 17872

- Posted      Profile for Jammy Dodger   Email Jammy Dodger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Signify? Grr predictive text.

Sig Sig Sputnik

--------------------
Look at my eye twitching - Donkey from Shrek

Posts: 438 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
ooh, my favorite--an interrobang!

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
sig test

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Steve Langton
Shipmate
# 17601

- Posted      Profile for Steve Langton   Email Steve Langton   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I need to know how to 'quote' so that not only the words of the post are reproduced but also all the UBB etc.

Also how to 'quote' so that an original normal text is quoted in bold .

I've managed to cope up till now by occasional tinkering with the normal use of UBB but right now I could very much use the simpler version.

I understand it's something to do with the bold inverted commas in the top of the post, but last time I asked wasn't given enough detail to make it work. I may have Asperger's but I didn't get the computer genius version - someone needs to spell out the steps for me in some detail....

Posts: 2245 | From: Stockport UK | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You mean like this?

quote:
Originally posted by Steve Langton:
I need to know how to 'quote' so that not only the words of the post are reproduced but also all the UBB etc.

I've managed to cope up till now by occasional tinkering with the normal use of UBB but right now I could very much use the simpler version.

I understand it's something to do with the bold inverted commas in the top of the post, but last time I asked wasn't given enough detail to make it work. I may have Asperger's but I didn't get the computer genius version - someone needs to spell out the steps for me in some detail....

Above the main text of the post you want to quote is a series of icons. Click on the one that looks like a pair of quotation marks. This automatically generates the UBB code for a quote. Initially, it quotes the entire post but you can edit it as necessary.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If you want to quote information from elsewhere, the BB coding for quote is:
code:
[quote] at the beginning of the section you want to quote
at the end [/quote]

if you want to embolden something the coding is

code:
[b] at the start of the section 
at the end [/b]

So this is posted and doesn't automatically code I have used the code function. For the next bit, I'll use unnecessary spaces, which will need to be removed to make them work.

Using the same pattern italic is [ i ] section in italics [ /i ]

To post a link with words the coding is
[ url=http://www. (and the rest) ]what you want the words to say [ /url ]

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:

To post a link with words the coding is
[ url=http://www. (and the rest) ]what you want the words to say [ /url ]

Or even easier, click on the URL button and then follow the instructions

--------------------

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
How easy those buttons are to use depends on the operating system and browser. I've used combinations that have rendered the buttons totally useless. Also, it depends on using the mouse when, if you touch type, it can be much easier to type the coding and avoid using the buttons. (I find it easier to type in the codes for the smileys too, they go where I want them then [Big Grin] .)

Also, knowing the coding means that it's much easier to do complicated things like nested lists with layers of numbering, for example.

[ 06. August 2015, 09:37: Message edited by: Curiosity killed ... ]

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Steve Langton
Shipmate
# 17601

- Posted      Profile for Steve Langton   Email Steve Langton   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks Spike.
Yes, you seem to have got what I'm after - I'm afraid that for my limited computer skills you still possibly haven't explained enough. I'll give a try with what I think you mean but don't be surprised if I have to get back to you again.
SL

Steve Langton
Shipmate
# 17601

Curiosity killed
Again thanks. I do know how to do the basic quote/bold/italics UBB. It's the bit where I can quote someone else's post, or part of it, without messing up his UBB that is giving me problems. As I said, I'll try what I think Spike means and see what happens....

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Make sure when you're quoting someone else and remove what isn't relevant to your point that if you delete a UBB tag you also delete the closing tag.

This thread is here for you to practice, and we'll all help as much as we can.

Also, Preview Post is your friend - you can see whether it's right before you post it.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

Glad to help! Have a go at quoting one of the posts on this thread (this post even) and see how you get on. That what this thread's here for [Smile]

--------------------

Steve Langton
Shipmate
# 17601

Gave it a try - though I'm having a busy few days at the moment.

I started a 'reply' and then went to a thread to copy and used the "" thing. Instead of adding the quote to the already started 'reply' it simply started a new 'reply' consisting only of the quoted thread...!

Now if that's how it works it's fine and I'm quite happy to adapt to that... but is there still something I'm missing ...?

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That's exactly how it's supposed to work, it gives you the text of the post you want to quote complete with the "posted by" bit. Then just add your reply to the bottom, and delete any of the quote that isn't relevant.

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Steve Langton
Shipmate
# 17601

OK Alan. Actually am I right in thinking I can probably if appropriate add something at the beginning as well as at the bottom? Anyway, I'll try it further. Thanks!
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

At the top of the reply hit return and type your text into the blank line

quote:
OK Alan. Actually am I right in thinking I can probably if appropriate add something at the beginning as well as at the bottom? Anyway, I'll try it further. Thanks!

Give it a go!

--------------------

Steve Langton
Shipmate
# 17601

Thanks Spike. Had thought that was probably it; I'm currently having a 'railway nerd' week with a railrover ticket and not much time at home, let alone online, but I'll get round to it....
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

sig

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

2nd try

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

Testy, testy, very very testy.

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

And, again

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Pimp my sig

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Testing testing the shameless advertising link in my sig

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sig test.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
New sig, with added pimp.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Checking the re-formatting. Four lines was too clunky.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sig test.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Anglicano
Shipmate
# 18476

- Posted      Profile for Anglicano         Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Erin:
Have at it.

Posts: 61 | From: Cheshire, England | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged
Anglicano
Shipmate
# 18476

quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
Second try

code:

Hello
Anglicano
Shipmate
# 18476

quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog:
Sig test.

hello again
code:

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

I would not recommend using the 'code' option unless you have a very good reason to do so (and, about the only example is to show how another UBB code function works without it actually doing anything). It maintains the format of text exactly as entered - no line breaks inserted, any UBB functions ignored. It can result in very ugly posts that are difficult to read, and can affect other posts on the thread as well.

--------------------

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
code:
BUT, it does allow for a handy fixed-width font!
...that is almost completely illegible due to size.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

See, ugly posts that are difficult to read.

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
test.

[ 03. October 2015, 17:39: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sig tweak

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Anglicano
Shipmate
# 18476

quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
You mean like this?

quote:

Above the main text of the post you want to quote is a series of icons. Click on the one that looks like a pair of quotation marks. This automatically generates the UBB code for a quote. Initially, it quotes the entire post but you can edit it as necessary.

Anglicano
Shipmate
# 18476

quote:
Originally posted by Anglicano:
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
You mean like this?

quote:

Is this OK?
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Anglicano:
Is this OK?

Looks OK to me. But, really, it's more a matter of it being what you want it to say.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

sig test

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

Another try. Why is there no preview post for profile?

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Nightlamp
Shipmate
# 266

- Posted      Profile for Nightlamp   Email Nightlamp   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think it must be 2 years since I last posted checking that
quote:
that I remember what to do
preview post is my friend...

[ 15. October 2015, 13:38: Message edited by: Nightlamp ]

--------------------
I don't know what you are talking about so it couldn't have been that important- Nightlamp

Posts: 8442 | From: Midlands | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

Cheers, Nightlamp!
Nightlamp
Shipmate
# 266

- Posted      Profile for Nightlamp   Email Nightlamp   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Good to drop on by.

--------------------
I don't know what you are talking about so it couldn't have been that important- Nightlamp

Posts: 8442 | From: Midlands | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

quote:
Originally posted by Nightlamp:
Good to drop on by.

Don't make it 2 years till next time. Good to see you again.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Linky link moveymoos.

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3271 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Landlubber
Shipmate
# 11055

- Posted      Profile for Landlubber   Email Landlubber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Test

--------------------
They that go down to the sea in ships … reel to and fro, and stagger like a drunken man

Posts: 383 | From: On dry land | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  104  105  106  107  108  109  110  111  112 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016