homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's business   » The Styx   » UBB Practice Thread (Page 12)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  110  111  112 

Source: (consider it) Thread: UBB Practice Thread
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
test
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Scot

Deck hand
# 2095

- Posted      Profile for Scot   Email Scot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
test

--------------------
“Here, we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it.” - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 9515 | From: Southern California | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
FreeJack
Shipmate
# 10612

- Posted      Profile for FreeJack   Email FreeJack   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
test
Ophelia
Shipmate
# 3136

- Posted      Profile for Ophelia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just trying to see if I can do one of these link thingies.

Link thingy Ship of Fools forum

--------------------
Just as I am, without one flea...

Posts: 523 | From: Ottery St. Catchpole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ophelia
Shipmate
# 3136

- Posted      Profile for Ophelia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hurrah! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Just as I am, without one flea...

Posts: 523 | From: Ottery St. Catchpole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Always Waiting
Shipmate
# 10141

- Posted      Profile for Always Waiting   Email Always Waiting   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Coke™

Oh, hippity-hop! Now I can do TM™
[Yipee]

Posts: 191 | From: 42 Below | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Comper's Child
Shipmate
# 10580

- Posted      Profile for Comper's Child     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Now I've just made a mess of a post on Eclesiantics and have been sent up here.
I was trying to respond to various points and break up the post, but I think I ended up screwing up the original post. How does one respond point by point?

Thanks, from a repentant Compers's Child

Posts: 2509 | From: Penn's Greene Countrie Towne | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You need to make sure you close the quote/qb tags at the end of each section you quote and reopen them again for the next section. So, you'll have something like

code:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by someone:
[QB]First bit of quote ...[/QB][/QUOTE]
A response
[QUOTE][QB]Second bit of quote ...[/QB][/QUOTE]
Further response

etc

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Comper's Child
Shipmate
# 10580

- Posted      Profile for Comper's Child     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Does that mean I "create" those quote marks..? as I didn't see them save at the beginning and end of the post.
Posts: 2509 | From: Penn's Greene Countrie Towne | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes, you need to create the other tags, by typing them in yourself. Just to clarify, as before - but with the new tags you'll need to put in in lowercase (they're not case sensitive so the lower case will work too), with the automatically generated ones in upper case.

code:
[QB]First bit of quote ...[/qb][/quote]
A response
[quote][qb]Second bit of quote ...[/QB][/QUOTE]
Further response

etc

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Comper's Child
Shipmate
# 10580

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
Yes, you need to create the other tags,

[qb][quote] like this?[QB]

by typing them in yourself. Just to clarify, as before - but with the new tags you'll need to put in in lowercase (they're not case sensitive so the lower case will work too), with the automatically generated ones in upper case.

code:
[QB]First bit of quote ...[/qb][/quote]
A response
[quote][qb]Second bit of quote ...[/QB][/QUOTE]
Further response

etc

Doesn't look right to me o the preview. Please do forgive me...
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

The closing tags always have a / before them. And, my post contained CODE tags enclosing the UBB so you could see it. It's probably best to quote another post to practise on because of that.

--------------------

Comper's Child
Shipmate
# 10580

I'll try when I get my strength back... Thanks
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Please note that in the following, there are extra spaces in the [ quote ] codes so that they show up here; IRL the brackets would be snuggled up against the code word. [Razz]

They come in nested pairs: for every [ quote ] at the beginning of something, there must be a [ /quote ] at the end.

As a beginning exercise, delete any and all [ qb ] and [ /qb ] when quoting and simply concentrate on keeping track of the [ quote ]s.

It also helps to work first on a simple two paragraph quote, rather than dealing with multiple quotes, nested quotes, or quotes including other code (such as urls).

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Was that helpful?

Can you keep this sentence separated?

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Manda
Shipmate
# 6028

- Posted      Profile for Manda   Email Manda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
test

--------------------
'Hypnotically fabulous AND twinkly' - The Lad Himself

Posts: 1137 | From: Back in little old Wiltshire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jason™

Host emeritus
# 9037

- Posted      Profile for Jason™   Author's homepage   Email Jason™   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Test.
Posts: 4123 | From: Land of Mary | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pearalis
Shipmate
# 9035

- Posted      Profile for Pearalis     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Testies

--------------------
Some days are diamonds, some days are stone.

Posts: 205 | From: Australia | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Chelley

Ship's Old Boot
# 11322

- Posted      Profile for Chelley   Email Chelley   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Attempting a link...

link

--------------------
"I love old things, they make me feel sad."
"What's good about sad?"
"It's happy for deep people!"

Sally Sparrow to Kathy - Doctor Who

Posts: 2870 | From: Wonderland, UK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Chelley

Ship's Old Boot
# 11322

- Posted      Profile for Chelley   Email Chelley   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Blimey it worked... now I can wander off and post the real link I wanted to link to in the first place somewhere completely different! [Yipee]

--------------------
"I love old things, they make me feel sad."
"What's good about sad?"
"It's happy for deep people!"

Sally Sparrow to Kathy - Doctor Who

Posts: 2870 | From: Wonderland, UK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

- Posted      Profile for monkeylizard   Email monkeylizard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
How do I get the little "TM" trademark thing to work?

--------------------
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. ~ Herbert Spencer (1820 - 1903)

Posts: 2201 | From: Music City, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Leetle Masha

Cantankerous Anchoress
# 8209

- Posted      Profile for Leetle Masha   Email Leetle Masha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Copy and paste the ™ character from "Accessories"/"System Tools"/"Character Map".

Leetle M.

--------------------
eleison me, tin amartolin: have mercy on me, the sinner

Posts: 6351 | From: Hesychia, in Hyperdulia | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

- Posted      Profile for monkeylizard   Email monkeylizard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks LM. Too much work...

--------------------
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. ~ Herbert Spencer (1820 - 1903)

Posts: 2201 | From: Music City, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Leetle Masha

Cantankerous Anchoress
# 8209

- Posted      Profile for Leetle Masha   Email Leetle Masha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Some people just put the (TM) in parentheses for that very reason.

--------------------
eleison me, tin amartolin: have mercy on me, the sinner

Posts: 6351 | From: Hesychia, in Hyperdulia | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Triple Distilled
Shipmate
# 11157

- Posted      Profile for Triple Distilled   Email Triple Distilled   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
me

ahh hell im a dumb ass

--------------------
Formerly known as Butler
I propose an Anglican compromise. We torture her, but infinitesimally slowly, so that everyone ends up confused.(Thanks Anna B)

Posts: 299 | From: adelaide australia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
test
Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
tra la la
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
Originally posted by monkeylizard:

Or, just type '& trade;' (just without the space)

--------------------

Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

final version?
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Did it work? Did it work?

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
test test test

--------------------
"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd." --Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction

My blog: http://oxygenofgrace.blogspot.com

Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
once again, with FEEWING.

--------------------
"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd." --Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction

Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

tasty-masty spider briskets

--------------------

Basket Case
Shipmate
# 1812

- Posted      Profile for Basket Case   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Me
Posts: 1157 | From: Pomo (basket) country | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
sig test

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And again

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
kuruman
Shipmate
# 8892

- Posted      Profile for kuruman   Email kuruman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
sig check

--------------------
Let us, in Heaven's name, drag out the Divine Drama from under the dreadful accumulation of slipshod thinking and trashy sentiment heaped upon it, and set it on an open stage to startle the world into some sort of vigorous reaction. (Dorothy Sayers)

Posts: 390 | From: back home under the Long White Cloud | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Benny Gee
Shipmate
# 5204

- Posted      Profile for Benny Gee   Email Benny Gee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 

Posts: 438 | From: Here and there | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

haroooooom

--------------------

KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

mrmmm rrrrmmmrrrmmrrrmmrrmm

--------------------

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Are you alright there, Ken?
[Smile]

[edit: four lines is the maximum -- is this three?]

[ 10. June 2006, 00:20: Message edited by: Ian Climacus ]

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
rosamundi

Ship's lacemaker
# 2495

- Posted      Profile for rosamundi   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Hold down the "alt" key and, using the number pad on the right hand side of the keyboard, type 0153 at the same time.

Deborah

--------------------
Website.
Ship of Fools flickr group

Posts: 2382 | From: here or there | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rat
Ship's Rat
# 3373

- Posted      Profile for Rat   Email Rat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
test

--------------------
It's a matter of food and available blood. If motherhood is sacred, put your money where your mouth is. Only then can you expect the coming down to the wrecked & shimmering earth of that miracle you sing about. [Margaret Atwood]

Posts: 5285 | From: A dour region for dour folk | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rat
Ship's Rat
# 3373

- Posted      Profile for Rat   Email Rat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
test

--------------------
It's a matter of food and available blood. If motherhood is sacred, put your money where your mouth is. Only then can you expect the coming down to the wrecked & shimmering earth of that miracle you sing about. [Margaret Atwood]

Posts: 5285 | From: A dour region for dour folk | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
™

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ellie Mae
Shipmate
# 11070

- Posted      Profile for Ellie Mae   Email Ellie Mae   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by rosamundi:
quote:

Hold down the "alt" key and, using the number pad on the right hand side of the keyboard, type 0153 at the same time.

Deborah

What if you don't have a number pad on the right (ie a laptop)?

I am a little challenged in this area... [Hot and Hormonal]

Posts: 57 | From: uk | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Scot

Deck hand
# 2095

- Posted      Profile for Scot   Email Scot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You might want to try this:

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
quote:

Or, just type '& trade;' (just without the space)
Or this:

quote:
Originally posted by Leetle Masha:
Copy and paste the ™ character from "Accessories"/"System Tools"/"Character Map".

--------------------
“Here, we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it.” - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 9515 | From: Southern California | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

quote:
Originally posted by Ellie Mae:
What if you don't have a number pad on the right (ie a laptop)?

You should still have a row of numbers above the letter keys; they're the same thing as the ones on the number pad to the right.
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

On a desktop, I don't know about laptops cos I rarely use them, the "alt-sequence of numbers" method of getting special characters only works using the number pad on the right of the keyboard.

--------------------

Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

- Posted      Profile for Papio   Email Papio   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Some™ people™ have™ a™ tendency™ to™ overuse™ the™ TM™ symbol™ anyway™.

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Posts: 12176 | From: a zoo in England. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  110  111  112 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016