homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's business   » The Styx   » UBB Practice Thread (Page 34)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  31  32  33  34  35  36  37  ...  110  111  112 

Source: (consider it) Thread: UBB Practice Thread
Mechtilde
Shipmate
# 12563

- Posted      Profile for Mechtilde   Email Mechtilde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Trying again:

here

this one.

--------------------
"Once one has seen God, what is the remedy?"
Sylvia Plath, "Mystic"

Posts: 517 | From: The cloud of unknowing | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Jason™

Host emeritus
# 9037

- Posted      Profile for Jason™   Author's homepage   Email Jason™   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 

Posts: 4123 | From: Land of Mary | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
sig test
Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Has this worked?
Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ah, no it hasn't. I'll have to try again.

M.

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The 'http' bit needs to be preceded by 'url=', all within the [ ] with the alternate text between the opening and closing tags. You can use the instant UBB URL button to generate the code you want in a reply window and check with Preview Post, then copy the code into your sig.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

Alan,

I thought at first you were writing in a different language, but it might just have worked - thanks!

Let's give it a try.

M.

M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

Nope.

Spit! It came out OK in 'Preview Post', like you said.

OK, let's try again.

M.

M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

Holds breath ...

M.

M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

Bugger.

My computer skills were never up to much.

I give up for now.

M.

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
test

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
M. Because your signature wasn't working right and causing page formating problems on every thread you've posted on I took the liberty of fixing it for you.

The big problem was that the long URL for the link to Amazon didn't work in the UBB software - I replaced it with a tinyURL which works.

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

Oh good grief, Alan, I'm sorry, I didn't realise it was causing problems. I had no idea that the length of a URL would make any difference.

Thank you for formatting it properly.

Apologies again.

M.

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

It depends upon which browser people use. Basically, a URL is a single 'word' (it won't have any spaces in it). Some browsers will try and break that word across lines if possible (ie: if the 'word' contains a hyphen, which some URLs do), others won't. If the word can't be broken across lines it forces the entire window wider to accomodate it - first it'll squeeze the space where the avatar is placed, and if that doesn't give it enough room it'll force a horizontal scroll bar on the bottom of the browser window. This is sometimes refered to as "broken scroll lock". Whether any particular person sees it depends upon their browser and screen size.

If someone has to keep scrolling back and forth because they can't see both ends of a line of text then that makes the boards almost impossible to read. Naturally in such circumstances we're keen to get things sorted out asap so that people can read the boards. If the problem is with a sig then the page format problem appears all over the boards.

--------------------

M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

Having re-read my post above, it comes over as a bit peeved rather than apologetic - it really wasn't meant to, I think I was in a rush on my way out to work.

I am genuinely sorry for causing you problems/extra work and very grateful to you for fixing it.

M.

(PS, I'd often wondered what 'broken scroll lock' meant)

Fool of a Took

chock full o' nuts
# 7412

- Posted      Profile for Fool of a Took   Email Fool of a Took   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
testing...
Posts: 1205 | From: Toronto-ish | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Fool of a Took

chock full o' nuts
# 7412

- Posted      Profile for Fool of a Took   Email Fool of a Took   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
and again...
Posts: 1205 | From: Toronto-ish | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
sig.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
sig?

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Callan
Shipmate
# 525

sig!

--------------------

Halo
Shipmate
# 6933

- Posted      Profile for Halo   Email Halo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ariel Atom
Posts: 625 | From: The Land of the Long White Cloud | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Test driving the new sig.

Click it, you know you want to! [Snigger]

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
New sig - click me click me!
Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

- Posted      Profile for justlooking   Author's homepage   Email justlooking   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
church times article`
Posts: 2319 | From: thither and yon | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is there some mysterious reason why I have to give my login name and password for every single post?
Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TEST

[ 30. June 2007, 23:55: Message edited by: Campbellite ]

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Purgatory abuse to good to pass up as sig material.
John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

Adding the verse. Eunuchs in olden times were special and beloved of God! I don't mind being that!
chive

Ship's nude
# 208

- Posted      Profile for chive   Email chive   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
sig check

--------------------
'Edward was the kind of man who thought there was no such thing as a lesbian, just a woman who hadn't done one-to-one Bible study with him.' Catherine Fox, Love to the Lost

Posts: 3542 | From: the cupboard under the stairs | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
chive

Ship's nude
# 208

- Posted      Profile for chive   Email chive   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
sig check with spelling [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
'Edward was the kind of man who thought there was no such thing as a lesbian, just a woman who hadn't done one-to-one Bible study with him.' Catherine Fox, Love to the Lost

Posts: 3542 | From: the cupboard under the stairs | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
sig check
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
testing sig

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
code:
| |_| | | |
|__________| |_|

By the way, anyone know if UBB works in sigs?

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

Yes, you can put in URLs, italics, bold into sigs using UBB (though the instant buttons don't work so you'll need to code by hand or copy and paste from a reply window). No quotes, lists or code though.

--------------------

St. Stephen the Stoned
Shipmate
# 9841

- Posted      Profile for St. Stephen the Stoned   Author's homepage   Email St. Stephen the Stoned   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
cig. check (joke)

--------------------
Do you want to see Jesus or don't yer? Well shurrup then!

Posts: 518 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just checking my sig ...

[ 06. July 2007, 08:34: Message edited by: Drifting Star ]

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
test

[ 07. July 2007, 02:56: Message edited by: Martin L ]

Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
fisher
Shipmate
# 9080

- Posted      Profile for fisher     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
trying a new sig on

--------------------
"Down, down, presumptuous human reason!" But somehow they found out I was not a real bishop at all G. K. Chesterton

Posts: 1327 | From: London | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Br. Scapular
Apprentice
# 10820

- Posted      Profile for Br. Scapular   Email Br. Scapular   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
not a regular poster, so want to try out a post with an embedded link. Here goes. Cheers.

--------------------
Church is the place where, when you have to go there, They have to take you in. -apologies to Robert Frost, (Death of the Hired Man)

Posts: 10 | From: N America | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
St. Stephen the Stoned
Shipmate
# 9841

- Posted      Profile for St. Stephen the Stoned   Author's homepage   Email St. Stephen the Stoned   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
sig. test.

[ 11. July 2007, 13:53: Message edited by: BillyPilgrim ]

--------------------

St. Stephen the Stoned
Shipmate
# 9841

and again

--------------------

meow
Shipmate
# 9273

- Posted      Profile for meow   Author's homepage   Email meow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
trying out signature

--------------------
blog with rambling Snowballs

Posts: 104 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
meow
Shipmate
# 9273

- Posted      Profile for meow   Author's homepage   Email meow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
again

--------------------
blog with rambling Snowballs

Posts: 104 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rat
Ship's Rat
# 3373

- Posted      Profile for Rat   Email Rat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
trying out sig

--------------------
It's a matter of food and available blood. If motherhood is sacred, put your money where your mouth is. Only then can you expect the coming down to the wrecked & shimmering earth of that miracle you sing about. [Margaret Atwood]

Posts: 5285 | From: A dour region for dour folk | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rat
Ship's Rat
# 3373

- Posted      Profile for Rat   Email Rat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And again...

--------------------
It's a matter of food and available blood. If motherhood is sacred, put your money where your mouth is. Only then can you expect the coming down to the wrecked & shimmering earth of that miracle you sing about. [Margaret Atwood]

Posts: 5285 | From: A dour region for dour folk | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mechtilde
Shipmate
# 12563

- Posted      Profile for Mechtilde   Email Mechtilde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Iole Nui:
And again...

Oh, I get it now!

--------------------
"Once one has seen God, what is the remedy?"
Sylvia Plath, "Mystic"

Posts: 517 | From: The cloud of unknowing | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Mama Thomas
Shipmate
# 10170

- Posted      Profile for Mama Thomas   Email Mama Thomas   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mechtilde:
quote:
And again...

Oh, I get it now!
Is this how it works?

--------------------
All hearts are open, all desires known

Posts: 3742 | From: Somewhere far away | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mama Thomas
Shipmate
# 10170

- Posted      Profile for Mama Thomas   Email Mama Thomas   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mama Thomas:
quote:
Originally posted by Mechtilde:
quote:
And again...

Oh, I get it now!
Is this how it works?
Funny how I never noticed this function before!

--------------------
All hearts are open, all desires known

Posts: 3742 | From: Somewhere far away | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Izzybee
Shipmate
# 10931

- Posted      Profile for Izzybee   Author's homepage   Email Izzybee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sig test. I know I have this wrong...

[ETA: Better?]

[ 13. July 2007, 12:02: Message edited by: Izzybee ]

--------------------
Hate filled bitch musings...

Posts: 1336 | From: Baltimore, MD | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

- Posted      Profile for Papio   Email Papio   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Posts: 12176 | From: a zoo in England. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  31  32  33  34  35  36  37  ...  110  111  112 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016