homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's business   » The Styx   » Ship of Fools media sightings (general) (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Ship of Fools media sightings (general)
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The current edition of the Church Times is available in a limited version online unless you are a subscriber. I've been informed that subscriber-only back editions are made available once they are no longer current.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

- Posted      Profile for Ancient Mariner   Author's homepage   Email Ancient Mariner   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Article in the current Evangelical Alliance (UK) IDEA magazine.

--------------------
Ship of Fools' first novel, Rattles & Rosettes, is the tale of two football (soccer) fans: 16-year-old Tom in 1914 and Dan in 2010. More at www.rattlesandrosettes.com

Posts: 2582 | From: St Helens (near Liverpool) UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ship of Fools got a mention in today's Seattle Times.

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

- Posted      Profile for Ancient Mariner   Author's homepage   Email Ancient Mariner   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nice to see the Cap'n bagging front page and centre spread of this week's (16.4.10) Church Times.

[Overused]

--------------------
Ship of Fools' first novel, Rattles & Rosettes, is the tale of two football (soccer) fans: 16-year-old Tom in 1914 and Dan in 2010. More at www.rattlesandrosettes.com

Posts: 2582 | From: St Helens (near Liverpool) UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I must admit I was rather surprised (not to say pleased) to read the Headline in the Evening Standard on Thursday: BBC defends ship of fools. But alas, alack and welaway, when I read on further I discovered it was just more stuff about the election shenanigans.

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

Stephen Glover, in the Independent, has put forward an argument for Simon Jenkins to be made a life peer. I must say I entirely agree - although I rather suspect he means 'the other one'.

--------------------

Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

Am due to contribute to a discussion on the future of the church on BBC Radio Scotland this morning. Some time between 9.30 and 10 am, I think.

--------------------

Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

OK - the station called but couldn't get to me before the news. Sorry for the false alarm.

[Cool]

--------------------

Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

A mention in today's Guardian (UK).

--------------------

TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And our revered Cap'n Simon has an interesting article in this week's Church Times about 'On-line Communion'.

Only available on their website to subscribers, unfortunately.

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Posts: 2717 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Arrietty

Ship's borrower
# 45

- Posted      Profile for Arrietty   Author's homepage   Email Arrietty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It will be available to everyone else when the next issue comes out next Friday.

--------------------
i-church

Online Mission and Ministry

Posts: 6634 | From: Coventry, UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm very glad to see that The Ship is getting a mention in all the best reporting of the Pope's visit.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From that article, apparently 'simony is the sin of trafficking sacred things'... [Killing me]

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

Our own 'Simony' on the UK's Channel 4 News (via his Blog).

--------------------

Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm going to be on the PM programme (BBC Radio 4) at 5.45 ish this afternoon. Subject: Papal gizmos and gadgets. Should be fun.

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

Simon's excellent BBC Radio 4 interview (PM Programme) here. Scroll through to 52' 38".

--------------------

birdie

fowl
# 2173

- Posted      Profile for birdie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Two papal gadgets spotted on Mock the Week this evening. (The Benedictophone and the make your own Popemobile).

--------------------
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness."
Captain Jack Sparrow

Posts: 1290 | From: the edge | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

As usual I try to put myself into the shoes of the Great Unknowing litening public, and once again find myself saying, 'Is this guy For Real?' [Ultra confused]

Simon Jenkins, the Monty Python of the Airwaves.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I want to see footage if Benny jumps into the mosh pit!
[Big Grin]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Someone just linked the "Picnic with the Pontif" page of Gadgets for God to a livejournal community (talkpolitics) that I belong to. Not sure if that counts as media mention or not, but I thought I'd mention it.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The October 24 issue of The Living Church has just been published on-line for subscribers; the hard copy edition will be going in the mail. The Mystery Worshipper is mentioned in a letter to the Editor.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

Nice piece in the Northern Echo.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

The Church Times St. Gargoyle's cartoon for 15 October.
[Big Grin]

--------------------
~Tortuf

Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
The Church Times St. Gargoyle's cartoon for 15 October.
[Big Grin]

[Cool]

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

quote:
Originally posted by Ancient Mariner:
Nice piece in the Northern Echo.

Yes, but did you also see - in view while you are reading the main article - the headline 'Masked raider targets betting shop'. You never know what these Mystery Worshippers are going to get up to next!

--------------------

Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

Your editor in today's Guardian.

[Overused]

--------------------

The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The comments are funny - looks like he's got a new friend in Gabriel100:
quote:
Not sure about the "mystery worshipper" thing - quite puerile, suspect the people who do the reviews are about as Christian as Steven "take me as I am" Tomlinson (The drip from ships of fools / here who looks like a weedy Barry McGuidan) (sic)
Tosser.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Great Gumby:
Looks like he's got a new friend in Gabriel100: "Not sure about the 'mystery worshipper' thing - quite puerile, suspect the people who do the reviews are about as Christian as Steven "take me as I am" Tomlinson."

The next comment puts him down royally, I think. Miss Amanda, for one, takes her Christianity quite seriously, although she's not above poking fun at it. "O wad some Power the giftie gie us" and all that, don't you know.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

Unfortunately this one is not real, but Wesley J had me for a minute there.

--------------------

Mr Clingford
Shipmate
# 7961

- Posted      Profile for Mr Clingford   Email Mr Clingford   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The ship is name-checked in Stephen Tomkins' article on the KJV on the BBC website.

--------------------
Ne'er cast a clout till May be out.

If only.

Posts: 1660 | From: A Fleeting moment | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

14 January, Church Times, quirky but humorous reference to Mystery Worshippers in the caption competition. The context will be available to see online from next week, but for those unable to wait the picture was of a group of Cybermen outside St. Paul's Cathedral and one of the captions submitted was:

The Mystery Worshippers gave the service top marks, but were hurt that no one had approached them afterwards to chat over coffee.

--------------------

Loveheart

Blue-scarved menace
# 12249

- Posted      Profile for Loveheart   Email Loveheart   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
14 January, Church Times, quirky but humorous reference to Mystery Worshippers in the caption competition. The context will be available to see online from next week, but for those unable to wait the picture was of a group of Cybermen outside St. Paul's Cathedral and one of the captions submitted was:

The Mystery Worshippers gave the service top marks, but were hurt that no one had approached them afterwards to chat over coffee.

Brilliant! [Overused]

--------------------
You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty. Mahatma Gandhi

Posts: 3638 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not Ship, but Steve Tomkins is on BBC 4 telling Adam Nicolson what a Puritan is.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ship of Fools got mentioned in a Western Mail ("The National Newspaper of Wales") article on Twitter.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

I was interested to see that, in session 4 of the 'Everybody Welcome' course we are studying for Lent, we are to be watching a DVD of Mystery Worshippers and also finding out what happened when a Mystery Worshipper visited our church. What I discovered when clicking on the 'more information' links below the general summary was that Ship of Fools Mystery Worshippers are mentioned several times, including the priceless phrase, 'You can't book them in - they just turn up!' (Anyone need a strapline?)

--------------------

Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

Chorister, it would be good to have sight of those videos, if possible.

--------------------

Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

- Posted      Profile for Rev per Minute   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by St. Gwladys:
Ship of Fools got mentioned in a Western Mail ("The National Newspaper of Wales") article on Twitter.

It's by yer (or for those of you further away, over by there).

Also a reminder to Simon that, whatever he does, he will remain 'Cardiff-born' for the purposes of the Western Mail and Echo!

--------------------
"Allons-y!" "Geronimo!" "Oh, for God's sake!" The Day of the Doctor

At the end of the day, we face our Maker alongside Jesus. RIP ken

Posts: 2696 | From: my desk (if I can find the keyboard under this mess) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

quote:
Chorister, it would be good to have sight of those videos, if possible.

AM, see my PM. (I enjoyed writing that phrase! [Biased] )

General Info: DVDs (and other course materials) available here if anyone is interested. The Ship of Fools is mentioned under 'additional content' (in the 'introduction' and 'guidelines' sections), not sure if it is mentioned in the DVDs or whether they just refer to their own Mystery Worshippers on there.

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

Stephen Tomkins is reviewing a book called 'Why Johnny Can't Sing Hymns: How popular culture rewrote the hymnal' by T. David Gordon, in edition 7721 of the Church Times. The information at the end of the review says, 'Stephen Tomkins is contributing editor of Ship of Fools (www.shipoffools.com) and deputy editor of Third Way magazine'.

[ 30. March 2011, 13:47: Message edited by: Chorister ]

--------------------

The Midge
Shipmate
# 2398

- Posted      Profile for The Midge   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was given a freebie (in the hope that I might take out a subscription no doubt) and can inform you that the April edition of "Christianity" has an article entitled "Life Online". SoF is mentioned under the News and Opinion listing and concludes:

quote:
For a one-stop-shop that meets many of your daily needs the Ship of Fools is a very worthy choice.
One wonders if the Christianity editor might have shot themselves in the foot.

--------------------
Some days you are the fly.
On other days you are the windscreen.

LJB
Shipmate
# 1057

- Posted      Profile for LJB   Email LJB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ship of Fools rates a mention on the "Blogroll: the truths are out there" on the Guardian Cif belief section....
Posts: 83 | From: Ooop North | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

About time we got another mench in the Sunday Telegraph.

[Cool]

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rexory posted this on the Australian thread:

quote:
Short article in the "West Australian" this morning about SoF. "Seldom, if ever, crossing the line into satire, the content here is excellent for those who wish to balance the serious side of Christianity".

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
About time we got another mench in the Sunday Telegraph.

[Cool]

42 minute sermon. [Eek!] [Eek!]

Lord have mercy.

Did the Vatican really advise 8 minute sermons???

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:
Did the Vatican really advise 8 minute sermons???

Still a bit long for me. Can't we get them down to a round five minutes?

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Heck, Marv, a lot of preachers haven't even got to the punchline of their opening joke in five minutes!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

Gadgets for God branded 'notorious' by The Guardian.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The words "pictures of Jesus" in the first paragraph of that article seem to link erroneously to the SoF article Jesus the hot air balloon.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

Erroneously?

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I guess those words in the Guardian article should link to art4god.com.

Or are you having fun with me? [Biased]

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016