homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's business   » The Styx   » Ship of Fools media sightings (general) (Page 6)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Ship of Fools media sightings (general)
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I understand that there may be a visible (beverage-holding) connection to the Ship on the actual footage tonight as well...

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ITTWACW mug, prominently on the i-church desk.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
i-church does have its own mugs, but we're ecumenical. [Big Grin]

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

- Posted      Profile for Ancient Mariner   Author's homepage   Email Ancient Mariner   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
ITTWACW mug, prominently on the i-church desk.

Shameful product placement.

[Cool]

--------------------
Ship of Fools' first novel, Rattles & Rosettes, is the tale of two football (soccer) fans: 16-year-old Tom in 1914 and Dan in 2010. More at www.rattlesandrosettes.com

Posts: 2582 | From: St Helens (near Liverpool) UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Favorable mention of Mystery Worship on CNN's website based on an interview given by Simon and myself.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good call.
I like the idea of people attending and observing ways of worship, even if the attendee isn't religious themselves. After all, how can people decide if religious worship is for them if they never get to experience it?

--------------------

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pause for Thought on Chris Evans' Radio 2 show mentioned Mystery Worship this morning though the Ship wasn't name checked.
Chris seemed taken with the concept, which he hadn't previously come across.

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

- Posted      Profile for Ancient Mariner   Author's homepage   Email Ancient Mariner   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the heads up Tree Bee. I have contacted the show accordingly.

--------------------
Ship of Fools' first novel, Rattles & Rosettes, is the tale of two football (soccer) fans: 16-year-old Tom in 1914 and Dan in 2010. More at www.rattlesandrosettes.com

Posts: 2582 | From: St Helens (near Liverpool) UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I like the idea of people attending and observing ways of worship, even if the attendee isn't religious themselves. After all, how can people decide if religious worship is for them if they never get to experience it?

Monty Python's Big Red Book, with its helpful guide on World Religions, comes to mind.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think I see an Ancient Mariner on bbc1 right now...
Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

Nope, that was our very own other Steve, Tomkins (aka Rev Gerald Ambulance) - looking remarkably 19th Century retro-professorial it must be said.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No-one made a screen shot? [Smile]

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Screen Shot
The programme is on iPlayer - he's on a part about what Hell is like starting about 13 mins into the show.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is also an article on the BBC Website by him which I guess is related.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another sighting, last article in Reform this month.

For Anglicans, this has nothing to do with a conservative Anglican group within the CofE, rather it is the magazine of the URC and edited by Steve Tomkins.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gadgets for God got a mention overnight on this BBC Radio Scotland show - give or take 5 minutes it was around 2 hrs 15 mins into the show. The link should be live for a few days.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All true geeks will be pleased and proud that ship-of-fools.com gets a place in the wonderful NMAP "icons of the web" interactive viewer, which is a sort of tag cloud of the top million websites in the world.

A very small place somewhere just below the middle, between facts-for-kids.net and fetish-hosting.co.uk (though they are all next to the slightly larger and presumably more respectable amnesty,.org) If you want to find it without using the search function its one of the few thousand websites along the northern borders of qq.com

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
A very small place somewhere just below the middle...

quote:
just one, momentary glimpse of the size of the entire unimaginable infinity of creation along with a tiny little marker saying, “You are here”
[Ultra confused]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That is cool beyond words.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Church of Fools and Ship of Fools featuring in this Daily Dot article.

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

Wonder who that Choris is....? [Biased]

--------------------

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Wonder who that Choris is....? [Biased]

Someone called Chris who was typing in a hurry? [Cool] [Razz]

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Alban
Shipmate
# 9047

- Posted      Profile for Alban   Email Alban   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My morning routine involves among other things, the ship and Cracked.com. The two seem to have itersected today, with item 20 in this piece referencing the Ship and the Church of Flanders. And no, I didn't write it.

--------------------
Whoever you are, wherever you go, Hophtrig is your friend!

Posts: 722 | From: Under a (long white) cloud | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's also completely wrong!

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yebbut it's Cracked! The geeks with come flocking!

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Look out for a rise in people using the Flanders avatar?

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Creating lists of everything? Extravagantly creative use of dick jokes in academic discussion?

Marriage made in Heaven.

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
David Thomson, Bishop of Huntingdon and Acting Bishop of St Edmundsbury & Ipswich, has taken note of our recent MW report on the ABC's visit to St Edmundsbury Cathedral.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If sermons come under the heading of "media"...

I was rather startled when today's sermon began with the words "There is a website called ship-of-fools.com"; it was a lead in to the news that we were MW'd last week and had a very favourable report. Many thanks to Aileen and to Miss Amanda for getting it published so quickly - you have made our vicar very happy. [Yipee]

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1877 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Ship features prominently in the opening paragraphs of a June 10 article in the on-line magazine Salon.com. Without actually naming them, the article gives a nod to the "Chapter and Verse" project, as well as the Mystery Worshipper (and gives a nice shout-out to Simon and Steve).

The article, titled "Bible Verses that Atheists Love," was published a few days earlier on the blog AlterNet.

[ 11. June 2014, 05:22: Message edited by: Mamacita ]

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

Thanks for that, Mamacita. A nice piece.

--------------------

Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

I'm on BBC Radios Lancashire and Manchester tonight, talking about my novel Rattles and Rosettes. From 10pm (UK time) onwards.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ancient Mariner:
I'm on BBC Radios Lancashire and Manchester tonight, talking about my novel Rattles and Rosettes. From 10pm (UK time) onwards.

You also look quite a bit like the gentleman interviewed in today's Church Times (no subscription required for this article).

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
mrWaters
Shipmate
# 18171

- Posted      Profile for mrWaters   Email mrWaters   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Ship was also mentioned in the recent Four Thought by Rupert Goodwins which was also how I heard about it and subsequently joined.
Posts: 80 | From: Aberdeen | Registered: Jul 2014  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you for that link MrWaters - I couldn't go to that recording because it was on a Wednesday night - I undoubtedly know people in the audience - but had I been able to I would have found out who he was on the Ship.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Have purchased a copy on my Kindle and am enjoying reading it at the moment. Not that Palace have ever suffered as much as my team have....

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
I would have found out who he was on the Ship.

Please don't stalk Shipmates.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
RooK - no way would I stalk anyone. But if you'd been in the audience and someone had mentioned the Ship, you would have talked to them too, given the opportunity.

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This makes me feel stupid for saying this, but since his (presumably real-life) name is there on the link he posted for the book, wouldn't clicking the link tell you who he is? Less stalky and more "Oh, that's what his name is" when you ... click on the link he himself posted.

[Confused]

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

ChastMastr - I am not that interested. If I had met him I'd have asked and outed myself at the same time. Not being there at the time it's not something I'm pursuing.

[ 31. July 2014, 07:12: Message edited by: Curiosity killed ... ]

--------------------

Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

quote:
Originally posted by Oscar the Grouch:
quote:

Have purchased a copy on my Kindle and am enjoying reading it at the moment. Not that Palace have ever suffered as much as my team have....
You really have to tell me the name of your club, that I may share your burden. [Votive]

--------------------

Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The clue is in my avatar.
(And like Palace, our colours are red & blue)

[ 31. July 2014, 14:56: Message edited by: Oscar the Grouch ]

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I keep forgetting how much closer everyone is in the UK. Here in Tampa Bay, Florida, I think there's something like... one? Shipmate I know of within driving distance at this point, and even then it's a couple of hours. (There was another one but I think he moved to another state and alas he doesn't post anymore.) Even Erin, God rest her soul, was vastly too far away to really get to for a day trip.

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

quote:
Originally posted by Oscar the Grouch:
The clue is in my avatar.
(And like Palace, our colours are red & blue)

With you in spirit, Oscar.

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Look who's judging the new media awards. Go for it Captain.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Has Simon won one of those? (Or did I miss it mentioned here? [Hot and Hormonal] ) If he hasn't he should have! Next year: the People's Choice Award for Simon Jenkins. [Yipee]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

Interview with me on Premier Christian Radio (UK) re: SoF and Rattles and Rosettes.

Listen from 1hr 4mins and 40 secs.

[Cool]

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Currently featuring on Radio 4's Sunday discussing Badvent Calendars

--------------------

TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And half a page in The Mail on Sunday, 2nd Nov, about the Badvent Calendars.

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Posts: 2717 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

quote:
Originally posted by TonyK:
And half a page in The Mail on Sunday, 2nd Nov, about the Badvent Calendars.

And here's the link.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016