homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's business   » The Styx   » FAQs - History of the Ship (Page 10)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10 

Source: (consider it) Thread: FAQs - History of the Ship
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
This seems to be the best place to ask this. Every time a new troll comes along, someone laments that Erin isn't here to take care of it. I don't think I really got my sea legs before Erin left us, which makes me sad. Can anyone suggest a classic thread down in Limbo where I can really see the Gator doing what she did best?

Try these two for starters - Calling Erin to Hell and Incompetence 1, Democracy 0 . Marvel at the razor wit, the creative turn of phrase and the ability to cut through bullshit in two words or less. But, behind the scenes Erin had a heart as big as a whale and was extremely kind.

I'm sure that others will have other favourites to recommend.

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Viola
Administrator
# 20

- Posted      Profile for Viola   Email Viola   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My Apartment Smells like a Urinal Cake was quite a classic.

--------------------
"If ye love me, keep my commandments" John 14:15

"Commandment number one: shut the hell up." Erin Etheredge 1971-2010

Posts: 4345 | From: West of England | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by frin:
When the thread had been going long enough that people were running out of steam, we were encouraged (by Miss Monica) to keep going and keep moving the plot forward. Some time later, Miss Monica had copies printed up as a book. I have mine still. It wouldn't mean much to people who joined the board later, as it is full of in-jokes. But it is great for reading back and remembering (or guessing) who was contributing as who.

'frin

I didn't realise Miss Monica wrote a book. Bound in Leather to be whipped out under duress, no doubt?

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tubbs:
quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
This seems to be the best place to ask this. Every time a new troll comes along, someone laments that Erin isn't here to take care of it. I don't think I really got my sea legs before Erin left us, which makes me sad. Can anyone suggest a classic thread down in Limbo where I can really see the Gator doing what she did best?

Try these two for starters - Calling Erin to Hell and Incompetence 1, Democracy 0 . Marvel at the razor wit, the creative turn of phrase and the ability to cut through bullshit in two words or less. But, behind the scenes Erin had a heart as big as a whale and was extremely kind.

I'm sure that others will have other favourites to recommend.

Tubbs

dammit you lousy motherfuckers made me cry! well, laugh myself to tears, but still. shit. good stuff. *singing* mehmmmories........

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
WHOOPS!

sorry, Hosts!

apparently some dumbass left my cage unlocked and I wandered out of my safe-zone without even knowing it and oozed my badstuff all over the wrong board....

sowwy....

I know, I know. Go to hell, comet!

*hangs head in shame*

--------------------

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mental note, if comet calls you "motherfucker," she is being affectionate...

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

it's like a love bite, really...

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Surely, a Ship graphic novel would have to be done by Jack Chick? Or in his style?

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Or done by Crumb? Besides his classic stuff, he also put out a Genesis comic a few years back.

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Surely, a Ship graphic novel would have to be done by Jack Chick? Or in his style?

Rather different message, though, I should think!

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, he'd have the liberals in Hell

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:

That would be about everybody, then. Even our "conservatives" would be too liberal for Chick.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:

Rather different message, though, I should think!
Yeah, but that's why he'd be so perfect! [Smile] And his style is considered to be really good, regardless of the content.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:

Haw! Haw! Haw!

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Wasn't sure where to put this, but...

I was having a hard time finding a very old thread, even with Google. So I went to the Internet Archive, looked up the Ship, and tracked down the thread.

This is the portal for the archive's copies of our boards.

Basically, there's a graph showing all the archived years. You pick one, and then you get a calendar for that year. You'll see that some dates are links. Click on one, and you'll get what they archived from the boards on that date. Then you can go looking for a particular thread.

Takes a little work, but an alternative when you can't find something in *our* archives.

--------------------

Offeiriad

Ship's Arboriculturalist
# 14031

- Posted      Profile for Offeiriad   Email Offeiriad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That reminds me, very early on I seem to remember a series about a spoof diocese, whose Bishop's diary seemed to mark every Sunday as a day off. At this distance I've even forgotten the name of the diocese, sorry! Anybody know where this material might still be around please? - I'd love to re-visit it.
Posts: 1426 | From: La France profonde | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sounds like the Diocese of Foulness. I'm sure it's in the archive somewhere. I'll have a dig around.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is that with the stress on the first or the second syllable?
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Or are you thinking of the Diocese of Bolsover, with Bishop Rodrigo Borgia and his Chaplain Fr Bildad? Products of the fevered imagination of Fr David Rowett, IIRC.

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Qoheleth.:
Or are you thinking of the Diocese of Bolsover, with Bishop Rodrigo Borgia and his Chaplain Fr Bildad? Products of the fevered imagination of Fr David Rowett, IIRC.

Exempli gratia:

quote:
The diocese would like to apologise for the interruption to its news service during the month of May. This was due principally to the following:

As widely reported in the national press, the May Day Procession of Our Lady at St. Mary's, Cleavage ended in disaster. The supplier of the rose petals is has been served with notice of a civil action for damages. Nevertheless, the diocesan server was down for several days, and even now walks with a pronounced limp.

Even more disastrously, a chance, in-all-probability innocent but ultimately unwise comment by the Bishop's Chaplain, Fr. Bildad, during the May-Morning liturgy of the diocesan Feminist Theology Encounter Group led to him being chased up the impromptu anti-masculinist May fertility symbol, all seventeen feet of it, there to languish for a full week, meanwhile being in possession of the bishop's engagement diary. After negotiations, basic food was sent up to him, but the diet of vegetarian macrobiotic high fibre muesli meant that at the end of his enforced exile, not only had he lost three stone in weight, but there were only two pages of the diary still in a fit state to be read. Bishop Rodrigo pronounced himself 'delighted' so to have gained a month without engagements, but as we write Fr.Bildad is still going in to the Bishop's office every morning at 8.00 to catch up on 'missing' correspondence.

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

AFAIK that was never part of The Ship.

[ 23. December 2015, 11:16: Message edited by: Spike ]

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

The one Qoholeth quoted sounds like a cross between Lake Woebegon and Nightvale!
[Two face]

--------------------

Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Never part of the Ship, but hugely entertaining while it lasted.

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Offeiriad

Ship's Arboriculturalist
# 14031

- Posted      Profile for Offeiriad   Email Offeiriad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
One memorable feature I remember was called:
'Is your church (or parish?) really necessary?'
This featured the Diocesan Stewardship Officer, Fr Chainsaw......

Posts: 1426 | From: La France profonde | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
TurquoiseTastic

Fish of a different color
# 8978

- Posted      Profile for TurquoiseTastic   Email TurquoiseTastic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ah yes - "Is Your Congregation Really Necessary?" it was called.

I also remember the Lenten discipline in which clergy had to eat less during Lent compared to the previous month so that those High Churchmen who had spent Jan/Feb swilling down litres of Bombay Sapphire could "be waved through in righteousness of life" merely by switching over to Gordon's. On the other hand the "luckless Tubby Claypole" who "with an evangelical's disregard for the liturgical calendar" had "embarked mid-January on a crash diet" found himself permitted only Evian and crackers throughout Lent. "Even so, he would have survived had his parish been of the tradition to hold a midnight Easter Vigil" - alas, the additional time until the All Age Family Service proved too much "even for his iron constitution..."

Posts: 1092 | From: Hants., UK | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is Bishop Rod still around?

Is there any chance that he could be persuaded to archive the Diocese of Bolsover onto the Ship?

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

Google suggests that his alter ego is still in active ministry in one of the more distant corners of Lincolnshire.

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

quote:
Originally posted by Offeiriad:
That reminds me, very early on I seem to remember a series about a spoof diocese, whose Bishop's diary seemed to mark every Sunday as a day off. At this distance I've even forgotten the name of the diocese, sorry! Anybody know where this material might still be around please? - I'd love to re-visit it.

Would it have been the Diocese of Wenchoster? The only other one I can think of is St. Bastard's and the Niblets, which was definitely a ship one, created by Dyfrig.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Unfeature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016