homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's business   » The Styx   » FAQs - History of the Ship (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  8  9  10 

Source: (consider it) Thread: FAQs - History of the Ship
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is it true that a recently a young girl found an old biscuit tin in a cave in mid-Wales? In it were several, slightly worse for wear, copies of the original SoF magazine. I understand that this is all being kept very quiet because those, hard to decipher, writings actually shed a new light on the origins of SoF.

A shady “y” character, serious discussions about whether irony was a permissible from of debate and “Did God use irony?” It seems also that St Simon may not have been the only progenitor. That others were found strangely half chewed by a shadowy crocodilian figure.

Most sadly that other versions of the story were also found, ship of tools, shit of pools and even a apocryphal story that there were never meant to be any “commandments” and that hosts could talk bird language.

Sigh, the glory days that we have missed, maybe we should strive to be more like the early ship of fools.

P

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

- Posted      Profile for Sarkycow   Email Sarkycow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhisiart:
Wood and Britney? [Big Grin]

Oh yeah?

So, Wood, what's she like in the carriage? [Snigger]

Viki

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.”

jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
posted by Pyx_e:
...and that hosts could talk bird language.

You assume that this is no longer true?
Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wood
The Milkman of Human Kindness
# 7

- Posted      Profile for Wood   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Tweet.

Tweet tweet tweet.

Tweet tweettweet tweet. Tweettweettweet. Tweet.

Quack.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Posts: 7842 | From: Wood Towers | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stoo

Mighty Pirate
# 254

- Posted      Profile for Stoo   Email Stoo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
cock a doodle doo

--------------------
This space left blank

Posts: 5266 | From: the director of "Bikini Traffic School" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Host communicating in birdsong

(This link requires RealPlayer -- you can download it for free and you don't need the paid versions to listen to this link.)

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amorya

Ship's tame galoot
# 2652

- Posted      Profile for Amorya   Email Amorya   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
OK, I have a question: when and why was T&T disbanded?

Amorya

Posts: 2383 | From: Coventry | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TnT was always meant to be a temporary board. It was launched in conjunction with the "sex issue" of the magazine site last spring. We shut it down after about two months, IIRC. As it was quite successful, we're planning to bring it back again this spring, again as a temporary board.

Why don't we have it all the time? Don't you folks have other things to talk about besides sex?!?! [Big Grin]

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As per the question I asked back in May (was it?) is there still a "Book of Fools" in the works?

If so, it is going to boast the fattest wait-list in the history of Amazon.uk.

(Seriously, I think it would make a great read, be an important document in internet/religious history, and not only would I buy a copy for myself I would for everyone else I have ranted to about SOF)

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ancient Mariner:
quote:
Originally posted by kenwritez:
A few questions for you, Simon and Erin: Where is the Ship headed? What developments do you both foresee in her in the next year or three? What are you both most proud of concerning the Ship?

Ken, we've been growing something in the dark here for the past six months that is going to steer the ship into some very entertaining and highly original waters in 2003.

Suffice to say at this stage that it is highly interactive, very shipmate orientated - and that nothing like it has been attempted in the mainstream/secular or religious world before.

We hope to do a pre-launch of this project before Christmas - so keep [Eek!]

[fearful thought] A role playing shipmate game? Pray tell no! [Eek!] I am confident that will NEVER happen ever. Sorry, having a nightmare. Done now. [Embarrassed] [/fearful thought]

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮
Ship of Fools-World Party

Posts: 11197 | From: Do you know the way? | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

AAAAAAUUUUUGGGGHHH!

That's all we need, is a bunch of geeks running around at Dundracon with Alligator hats and big red "T's" on their shirts.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh God help us all. [Waterworks]

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮

Wood
The Milkman of Human Kindness
# 7

- Posted      Profile for Wood   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think I can safely say... no, that isn't it. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Narcissism.

Posts: 7842 | From: Wood Towers | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
How appropriate to have the TnT boards resurrected every Spring (when a young man's fancy turns to...... [Love] ) [Big Grin]

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
da_musicman
Shipmate
# 1018

- Posted      Profile for da_musicman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
How appropriate to have the TnT boards resurrected every Spring (when a young man's fancy turns to...... [Love] ) [Big Grin]

Yeah because it only ever turns that way in the spring. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 3202 | From: The Dreaming | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

You poor thing.

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
you are obviously an animal [Wink]

--------------------

da_musicman
Shipmate
# 1018

- Posted      Profile for da_musicman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Rargh [Wink]
Posts: 3202 | From: The Dreaming | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
tomb
Shipmate
# 174

- Posted      Profile for tomb   Author's homepage   Email tomb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Anybody with a big red "T" on their shirt (yes, I know, it should be lower case) is gonna have to pay me royalties.

I signed up for the Ship (and started paying money) right after the Joanna incident. It took me the longest time before I figured out why everyone was so edgy.

Anybody want to go into any detail about Miss Monica? Interacting w/ her was my apotheosis and the reason I got invited to be a host. Talk about the wages of Sin being Death....

Posts: 5039 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ultraspike

Incensemeister
# 268

- Posted      Profile for Ultraspike   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Do tell us about Miss Monica. Sounds like a cyber dominatrix. [Eek!]

--------------------
A cowgirl's work is never done.

Posts: 2732 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post 
See for yourself.

--------------------
Commandment number one: shut the hell up.

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kalagiya
Apprentice
# 3622

- Posted      Profile for Kalagiya         Edit/delete post 
I notice that several of your subheadings make a big deal out of belief in the Trinity. One was "mystery worshipper," the other was that Christian dating service you were promoting awhile back.

Granting that the Trinity is a big deal to those Christians who believe in it, but since you do not otherwise seem to have a specific denominational identity, it seems odd to single out this one element as a mini-creed (and only in the odd subheading).

What's going on here? Do one of the moderators just not like Unitarians, Swedenborgians, Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, or certain Church of Christ / Disciples of Christ members? But don't care about any other theological position?

Posts: 8 | From: varies | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
chukovsky

Ship's toddler
# 116

- Posted      Profile for chukovsky   Author's homepage   Email chukovsky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As I understand it, the Mystery Worshipper section reviews churches that have a trinitarian theology, rather than requiring posters to have a trinitarian theology. However I can't find anywhere it says this on the boards.

The Christian dating service was a paying advertiser, completely separate from the Ship, and presumably has its own ideas of who can be members. If you wanted to complain about their policies, maybe you should do so to them, rather than to the Ship.

How is this "a big deal"? What other subheadings exclude those who cannot subscribe to trinitarian theology? We have regular and well-liked posters who don't.

--------------------
This space left intentionally blank. Do not write on both sides of the paper at once.

Posts: 6842 | From: somewhere else | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hi Kalagiya. You can't have this both ways, you know. You can't say that we're making a "big deal" out of it and also complain that it's hidden away "in the odd subheading"!

As far as I know, the only trinitarian statement on the editorial section of the ship is in the notes for Mystery Worshippers, which isn't a publicly available part of the site. The note states...

quote:
The Mystery Worshipper project only deals with trinitarian Christianity (we have in the past made a few forays into nearby traditions such as Unitarianism, but don't plan to do so again).

The project is guided by the principle that it's not fair of us to critique mosques, synagogues, Mormon temples, etc, since they represent faiths which belong to others and not to us. The Mystery Worshipper is about the Christian Church engaging in self-criticism, rather than criticising other faith traditions. Reports from places outside the trinitarian Christian tradition cannot be published.

We draw the line at trinitarian Christianity simply because that is our faith tradition. No judgment of faith traditions outside trinitarian Christianity is intended by that. So while it's true that we don't have a specific denominational identity, we do belong to the trinitarian tradition.

You'll find a more general statement of where we're coming from on this page.

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

Thanks Simon, for a deeper look at Phil. 3:8 & Gal. 5:12 [Big Grin]
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sigh... they're two of my favourite verses in the whole Bible, duchess. Thanks for reminding me of them.

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Back to the trend watching thing...so..just to get this straight.

This trend watching is internal, not external?

Just being curious,

Og the Dim

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
<bump>

So what is a typical day of SoF life like for you, Erin and/or Simon?

(Images of velvet chaise lounges, nubile body servants wearing gauzy vestments carrying silver salvers of peeled grapes, and eunuchs slowly waving huge ostrich plume fans come to mind....)

--------------------
"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd." --Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction

My blog: http://oxygenofgrace.blogspot.com

Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

They wish, Kenwritez, they wish...
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

Actually, Erin dresses up in her Miss Monica outfit, snarling 'Simon, you disobeyed me, I will have to punish you!' and Simon quivers, a huddled wreck, saying 'sorry, sorry, sorry, I didn't mean it, your majesty'....... [Wink] [Snigger]

all appearances that it is Simon captaining the ship are illusory......

--------------------

Sean D
Cheery barman
# 2271

- Posted      Profile for Sean D   Author's homepage   Email Sean D   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[grape tangent]

Why do people in those kinds of settings have their grapes peeled anyway? I always find the chewiness of the skin the best part. [Roll Eyes]

[/grapes]

Posts: 2126 | From: North and South Kensington | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
ChrisT

One of the Good Guys™
# 62

- Posted      Profile for ChrisT   Author's homepage   Email ChrisT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
...all appearances that it is Simon captaining the ship are illusory......

Yep, that's true enough.

And a day in the life of a Host/Admin (at the moment):

6:03am: get up, log into Ship, catch up on nights events
7:32am: breakfast, back onto the Ship for an hour before...
8:38am: rushing to work
9:06am arrive at work, late, log into Ship
11:32am: decide to do some work ... later
12:21pm: lunch, check the Ship
2:02pm: answer a couple of emails, check the Ship while the browser is open
3:42pm: get bored of checking the Ship, do some work
3:48pm: get bored of work, get back on the Ship
4:57pm: leave work, early, drive like a maniac home to...
5:27pm: log back onto Ship
9:42pm: remember to eat something; cheese sandwich sat in front of Ship
9:52pm: log into Ark
11:00pm: log into Ark chatroom
12:42am: log out of chatroom, catch up with the Ship boards
2:17am: crawl into bed

At all times your email client is set to pick up emails/PMs every minute, so every 2 minutes you reply to someone (normally another Admin).

Once every three weeks you let yourself have an evening off. This means you log off the ship at 8:17pm, watch a film and eat chocolate, then check the Ship again from 11:32pm until about 2am.

What a life, eh? [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Firmly on dry land

Posts: 6489 | From: Here, there and everywhere | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stoo

Mighty Pirate
# 254

- Posted      Profile for Stoo   Email Stoo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You too, Chris?

--------------------
This space left blank

Posts: 5266 | From: the director of "Bikini Traffic School" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

(Looks wildly around and then lunges at something off-screen...)

Sh*t, I thought I had the web-cam turned off!

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

God bless the obsessed [Not worthy!]

--------------------

Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

- Posted      Profile for Sarkycow   Email Sarkycow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's alright for those hosts/admins who are at work, and so have access to the net 24/7. What about us students? Sometimes I have to leave the Ship for a whole 2 hours to go to a lecture! I had to *beg* for permission to do this...

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.”

Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Some of us are Kept Women and can get on board any time we want.
{gloat mode}

Of course, I'm only a Shipmate here, so it's all beer & skittles for me on the Ship.

Sometimes I take a moment to delete posts or dispense advice or do some actual w*rk on my other boards... then I run back here.

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nanny Ogg

Ship's cushion
# 1176

- Posted      Profile for Nanny Ogg   Email Nanny Ogg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by sarkycow:
It's alright for those hosts/admins who are at work, and so have access to the net 24/7. What about us students? Sometimes I have to leave the Ship for a whole 2 hours to go to a lecture! I had to *beg* for permission to do this...

I envy anyone who can access the Ship at whatever time of day they like, especially those who can do so at w*rk.

Some w*rkplaces have very strict rules on internet use - and they're tightening up.

Imagine - no access for over 8 hours a day?

--------------------
Buy me a beer and I'm you friend forever

Posts: 4137 | From: Away with the fairies | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChrisT

One of the Good Guys™
# 62

- Posted      Profile for ChrisT   Author's homepage   Email ChrisT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Wonderful Nanny Ogg:
Some w*rkplaces have very strict rules on internet use - and they're tightening up.

Yes. So? [Snigger]

Thus speaks senior web developer and head of the department

--------------------
Firmly on dry land

Posts: 6489 | From: Here, there and everywhere | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Laura
General nuisance
# 10

- Posted      Profile for Laura   Email Laura   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm bad. I don't do anything like ChrisT's schedule. Hope Simon doesn't notice.

--------------------
Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence. - Erich Fromm

Posts: 16883 | From: East Coast, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
For those of you wondering about my name change, please note I asked a, in retrospect, rather already answered question back in December and this thread died until resurrected in May.

Fascinating reading this all again.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Scot

Deck hand
# 2095

- Posted      Profile for Scot   Email Scot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Any of you who think that ChrisT's post was humor... are wrong. I'm just shocked that it sounds so pathetic when it's all written out like that.

--------------------
“Here, we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it.” - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 9515 | From: Southern California | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Thanks for the explanation, Og. I wwas wondering.

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

As a teacher I am very envious of people who can access the Ship at work - in my job you have to spend all your time with the kids, and even admin work has to be done out of hours. If you don't have an assistant, you can't even go to the loo when you want! (so I work part-time, to get the best of both worlds)

Mind you, in teaching, it often seems like you are on a real-life, permanent Ship of Fools! you never know what's going to happen next...... [Yipee]

--------------------

ChrisT

One of the Good Guys™
# 62

In case people are thinking I was joking with my daily schedule above, Scot is right - it's not that far from the truth.

Laura, I'm intrigued. Is it because you're an Admin that means you get all that time off? If so, how do I apply?

--------------------
Firmly on dry land

Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post 
My main Ship-related activity consists of sticking pins into various dolls.

--------------------

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Arrietty

Ship's borrower
# 45

- Posted      Profile for Arrietty   Author's homepage   Email Arrietty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Erin:

I admire your energy, it must have taken a lot of pins to make my eczema this bad. [Razz]

--------------------
i-church

Online Mission and Ministry

Posts: 6634 | From: Coventry, UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

quote:

Ah, I understand now.... you are a Barbie doll clothing manufacturer [Big Grin]

--------------------

Ham'n'Eggs

Ship's Pig
# 629

- Posted      Profile for Ham'n'Eggs   Email Ham'n'Eggs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by tomb:
Anybody want to go into any detail about Miss Monica? Interacting w/ her was my apotheosis and the reason I got invited to be a host. Talk about the wages of Sin being Death....

quote:
Originally posted by Ultraspike:
Do tell us about Miss Monica. Sounds like a cyber dominatrix. [Eek!]

quote:
See for yourself.

<fall guy>Please, Miss Etheridge, what has Miss Monica got to do with the history of the Ship?</fall guy>

--------------------
"...the heresies that men do leave / Are hated most of those they did deceive" - Will S

Posts: 3103 | From: Genghis Khan's sleep depot | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

Her humble beginnings were the original Hell board on Ship of Fools. She doesn't even speak to us now.

*sigh*

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  8  9  10 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Unfeature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016