homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's business   » The Styx   » FAQs - History of the Ship (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 

Source: (consider it) Thread: FAQs - History of the Ship
tomb
Shipmate
# 174

- Posted      Profile for tomb   Author's homepage   Email tomb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Simon:
For me, the Ship of Fools name has always been linked with Noah's Ark and the disciples of Jesus in their boat in the storm on Galilee. Both Noah and the disciples were fools in a boat, and yet they proved to be wise, and the world foolish. And I've thought of Paul's words in 1 Corinthians: "God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong."

Well, I am surprised. I always assumed that the name was taken from the 1965 film written by Abbey Mann and directed by Stanley Kramer starring Vivian Leigh that won the Academy Award for cinematography and was the inspiration for the Grateful Dead song. A precis of it by a popular author summarized the movie, "in which everyone who didn't die went mad."

You mean to say that, after all these years, I've been mucking about on a website based on the Bible?

Posts: 5039 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by tomb:

You mean to say that, after all these years, I've been mucking about on a website based on the Bible?

So, you didn't think this was a Christian website?

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
For me, "Ship of Fools" always brings to mind the novel by Katherine Ann Porter. Not that I remember a single thing about the novel except the title, since I read it when I was ten or so.
Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tori:
[....]I appreciate all the hard work you all put in, and am looking forward to being more integrated into the ship in the future.

Victoria

[Overused] [Overused] [Overused]

I think you'll find, Tori, that the proper phrase isn't "integrated into" but rather "addicted to" the Ship.

Welcome to the Ship. [Devil]

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
kentishmaid
Shipmate
# 4767

- Posted      Profile for kentishmaid   Author's homepage   Email kentishmaid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Well, I am surprised. I always assumed that the name was taken from the 1965 film written by Abbey Mann and directed by Stanley Kramer starring Vivian Leigh that won the Academy Award for cinematography and was the inspiration for the Grateful Dead song. A precis of it by a popular author summarized the movie, "in which everyone who didn't die went mad."

That wouldn't happen to be based on the book by Katherine Porter, by any chance? I do own the book, I just haven't got round to reading it yet, and am now being very lazy, clearly.

--------------------
"Who'll be the lady, who'll be the lord, when we are ruled by the love of one another?"

Posts: 2063 | From: Huddersfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul W.

Shipmate
# 1450

- Posted      Profile for Paul W.   Author's homepage   Email Paul W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
According to the IMDB info for this film, it is based on that novel. Maybe you should read it and find out if there are any similarities with this site? [Big Grin]

Paul W

--------------------
"It's just a ride" - Bill Hicks

Blog
Flickr

Posts: 2835 | From: Leeds, UK | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Arrietty

Ship's borrower
# 45

- Posted      Profile for Arrietty   Author's homepage   Email Arrietty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The synopses sound uncannily familiar:

quote:
Passengers on a ship [...] represent society at large in that era. [...] La Contessa[...] A young American woman [...] David [...] [...]sleazy dance troupes and bitter lovers [...]

--------------------
i-church

Online Mission and Ministry

Posts: 6634 | From: Coventry, UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
musician

Ship's grin without a cat
# 4873

- Posted      Profile for musician   Email musician   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Brilliant thread guys...thanks!
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Arrietty:

quote:
Passengers on a ship [...] represent society at large in that era. [...] La Contessa[...] A young American woman [...] David [...] [...]sleazy dance troupes and bitter lovers [...]

Wanna hear something cool?

About the time "Calling God to Hell" was running,I caught the 1965 movie. About 3/4ths of the way thought the movie, there is a riot in steerage. A priest is sent down to talk sternly to the crew below deck. He exhorts the ringleader to be a Godly man. The ringleader goes on a tirade about how God is meaningless to him and if God were standing before him, he would send him to Hell. Then he and the crew trash steerage.

I thought,"Wow. Simon is a prophet."

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Undiscovered Country
Shipmate
# 4811

- Posted      Profile for The Undiscovered Country   Email The Undiscovered Country   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Arrietty:

quote:

All that's missing is an Orthodox priest

--------------------
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world. The unreasonable man adapts the world to himself. Therefore all hope of progress rests with the unreasonable man.

Posts: 1216 | From: Belfast | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I had a children's anthology free in my breakfast cereal, with a story in it called 'Ship of Fools' by Terry Jones. On board is chaos and everyone in the story is a total fruitcake. Yup, that sounds familiar...... [Big Grin]

Here are the opening few sentences:

"A young boy named Ben once ran away to sea. But the ship he joined was a very odd one indeed.
The Captain always wore his trousers tied over his head with seaweed. The Bosun danced the hornpipe all day long from dawn to dusk wearing nothing but beetroot juice. And the First Mate kept six families of mice down the neck of his jumper!
'This is a rum vessel, me hearty!', said Ben to one of the sailors, who was at that moment about to put his head into the ship's barrel of syrup.
'It's a Ship of Fools!' grinned the sailor, and he stuck his head in the syrup."

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
NO
Shipmate
# 5477

- Posted      Profile for NO     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[busybody]

I hope no-one will think me too presumptuous if I just B-U-M-P this excellent thread up to the top - we have had some new people just recently who could benefit a lot from reading this.

(Seriously, I'm not thinking of any one person in particular, several names spring to mind)

[/busybody]

Orb

Eye eye Cap'n!
# 3256

- Posted      Profile for Orb   Author's homepage   Email Orb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Top thread. I was alarmed to read there were only 318 people registered who had made Shipmate status in 2002!! [Eek!] How many are there now?! [Confused]

--------------------
“You cannot buy the revolution. You cannot make the revolution. You can only be the revolution. It is in your spirit, or it is nowhere.” Ursula K. Le Guin, The Dispossessed

Posts: 5032 | From: Easton, Bristol | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Belisarius
Lord Bountiful of Admin (Emeritus) Delights
# 32

- Posted      Profile for Belisarius   Email Belisarius   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Within this past minute, 1,041.

--------------------
Animals may be Evolution's Icing, but Bacteria are the Cake.
Andrew Knoll

Posts: 8080 | From: New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ophthalmos:
I was alarmed to read there were only 318 people registered who had made Shipmate status in 2002!!

You have to remember that we got new software in the spring of 2001. Up until that time there were no such categories as 'shipmate' and 'apprentice'.

Some old-timers who were infrequent posters had not made fifty posts by the beginning of 2002.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Late Quartet

Irredeemably speciesist?
# 1207

- Posted      Profile for Late Quartet   Author's homepage   Email Late Quartet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Belisarius:

I'd be interested to know one more thing about those who have become Shipmates, if its easy enough to find out, please. Of 8,000 registrations 1041 have made Shipmate status. Of those 1041 shipmates how many of them have posted in the last 10, 20, 30 and 40 months?

--------------------
Late Quartet is cycling closer to Route 6 than Route 66 these days.

Posts: 899 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
MaryFL
Shipmate
# 7482

- Posted      Profile for MaryFL   Author's homepage   Email MaryFL   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well... not everyone is a compulsive poster, I guess. [Biased]

--------------------
God understands our prayers even when we can't find the words to say them.

Posts: 947 | From: Florida, USA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Belisarius
Lord Bountiful of Admin (Emeritus) Delights
# 32

- Posted      Profile for Belisarius   Email Belisarius   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The UBB Boards have not yet been here 40 months, but to give an idea of stats as of this morning:

1,042 registrations have achieved Shipmate status.

987 of these have had posts since 01/01/02.

956 of these have had posts since 07/01/02.

865 of these have had posts since 01/01/03.

790 of these have had posts since 07/01/03.

705 of these have had posts since 01/01/04.

539 of these have had posts since 07/01/04.

270 of these have had posts since 07/21/04.

--------------------
Animals may be Evolution's Icing, but Bacteria are the Cake.
Andrew Knoll

Posts: 8080 | From: New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
MrPiccolo

Ship's Yorkie Bar
# 7103

- Posted      Profile for MrPiccolo   Author's homepage   Email MrPiccolo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Late Quartet:
quote:

I'd be interested to know one more thing about those who have become Shipmates, if its easy enough to find out, please. Of 8,000 registrations 1041 have made Shipmate status. Of those 1041 shipmates how many of them have posted in the last 10, 20, 30 and 40 months?
Jem, IIRC Yahweh had a lot to say when King David came up with the plan of taking a census of "his" armies.. [Eek!] [Confused] [Biased]

--------------------
"..Love is not a victory march, it's a cold and broken hallelujah." Jeff Buckley, quoting Leonard Cohen.

Posts: 436 | From: Leeds | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Blancmange
Shipmate
# 5446

- Posted      Profile for Blancmange     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I notice that there are nearly 200 pages of people in the directory who never posted after registering, are these people all living in the cafe? Or did they just register for fun?
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

So basically, over half of all shipmates have posted this month (July 04).

Not bad.

[but my code was [Roll Eyes] ]

[ 23. July 2004, 15:20: Message edited by: Marvin the Martian ]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Goodric

Shipmate
# 8001

- Posted      Profile for Goodric   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Dear Blancmange,

When you are a Newby (like me) then sometimes it is difficult to pluck up courage and join in the discussion.

All sorts of issues hit your mind just as you are about to put fingers to keyboard. Am I using the right protocol? Isn't it a bit rude to jump in un-introduced? Will they detect my halitosis over the internet.

I think many people would have the intention of communicating, but then at the last minute, through lack of confidence - they bottle out. This may account for some of those who are registered but not participating.

I on the other hand am just one of those idiots who despite not knowing the rules and protocol, and having never done anything like this before - just says "to hell with it" and gets stuck in. You can imagine it gets me into all sorts of trouble.

Posts: 7160 | From: You all know anyway | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Dave P

stoned
# 2900

- Posted      Profile for Dave P   Email Dave P   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Welcome to the Ship Goodric. Glad to have you aboard.

quote:
Originally posted by Goodric:
I on the other hand am just one of those idiots who despite not knowing the rules and protocol

You can find the rules under the name 10 Commandments, and the Protocols for the Boards at the top of each one. I'd recommend reading them, they're not P. G. Wodehouse but will certainly stand you in good stead.

Enjoy!

HS

--------------------
ne Holy Stone

Posts: 736 | From: brum | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cartmel Veteran
Shipmate
# 7049

- Posted      Profile for Cartmel Veteran   Author's homepage   Email Cartmel Veteran   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I always assumed that the name was taken from the 1965 film written by Abbey Mann and directed by Stanley Kramer starring Vivian Leigh that won the Academy Award for cinematography and was the inspiration for the Grateful Dead song. A precis of it by a popular author summarized the movie, "in which everyone who didn't die went mad."

I often think of that movie when I see the phrase Ship of Fools, but for different reasons. There's a scene in the book 2061 by Arthur C. Clarke, where a film star onboard a marooned spaceship with other artistic noteworthies discusses the movie.

[ 23. July 2004, 17:53: Message edited by: Inspector Hovis ]

Posts: 1041 | From: Dorset | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Late Quartet

Irredeemably speciesist?
# 1207

- Posted      Profile for Late Quartet   Author's homepage   Email Late Quartet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you Belisarius.
quote:
The UBB Boards have not yet been here 40 months, but to give an idea of stats as of this morning:
1,042 registrations have achieved Shipmate status.
987 of these have had posts since 01/01/02.
956 of these have had posts since 07/01/02.
865 of these have had posts since 01/01/03.
790 of these have had posts since 07/01/03.
705 of these have had posts since 01/01/04.

That look pretty impressive: 70 per cent of shipmates have posted in the last 6 months or so.

quote:
270 of these have had posts since 07/21/04.

I'm even more impressed that over half have posted in the last 4 weeks, and more than 25 per cent in the last two days -- that is quite stunning.

[ 24. July 2004, 04:41: Message edited by: Late Quartet ]

--------------------
Late Quartet is cycling closer to Route 6 than Route 66 these days.

Posts: 899 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Goldfish Stew
Shipmate
# 5512

- Posted      Profile for Goldfish Stew   Email Goldfish Stew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Great thread,

Now I'm wondering about fiddleback who popped in on page 2, apparently unregistered. How'd that work?

--------------------

Posts: 2405 | From: Aotearoa/New Zealand | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh My Gawd! [Eek!]

P

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Adjusts Nana Mouskouri style glasses:

This is a song about a boy... and a girl... and... love.

[Sex of protagonists should not be inferred from this statement]

[ 24. July 2004, 12:53: Message edited by: Coot (Such a nice boy) ]

Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Goodric

Shipmate
# 8001

- Posted      Profile for Goodric   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks Holy Stone, they seem to make common sense and hopefully most reasonable people would adhere to them. Ploughing my way through the FAQ's was helpful too. For those who may prefer disorganised religion, this seems really, really organised. Not quite up to the EEC regulations on Cucumber shape and size though... I think I may enjoy this. I like church of fools as well -brilliant idea. How much does it cost to keep an operation like this on the road? - or is that information somewhere on the site but I havn't found it yet? Am I allowed to ask that one - or ask it here? Can't you just tell I'm new at this?

--------------------
Happy Christmas Everyone You can find me here

Gone to a better place.

Posts: 7160 | From: You all know anyway | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

I don't know if there's ever been a financial report, but it does cost money to keep the site going. Click on Organ Fund if you want to make a contribution.
pirate sunny
Shipmate
# 7106

- Posted      Profile for pirate sunny   Email pirate sunny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Erin (a long time ago):
<snip>
How about we do it like this: y'all ask questions about things that you don't understand or are curious about. Could be anything from what is perceived to be an inside joke <snip>

I was wondering if that offer still stood. If I asked about ice cream forks, would I get an answer? Or would I be laughed at? Or am I just imagining that there’s a joke going around about ice cream forks anyway?

--------------------
insert interesting signature here

Posts: 126 | From: Australia | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Grits
Compassionate fundamentalist
# 4169

- Posted      Profile for Grits   Author's homepage   Email Grits   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
pirate sunny, I would never be able to remember the thread now, but apparently the talk got onto utensils, very special utensils. We have some Shipmates who are just swimming in refinement, and one happened to mention he possessed ice cream forks.

Well, people went absolutely mad over this: "What are they?" "Why do you have them?" "Do you really use them?" "Are they silver?" It was a hilarious mixture of fascination, incredulity and admiration.

I don't think folks will ever let him forget the forks. Or his rug burns...

--------------------
Lord, fill my mouth with worthwhile stuff, and shut it when I've said enough. Amen.

Posts: 8419 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The original rug burn joke can be found in Limbo, on the archived Hell thread, "An Experince in Small Group Formation"

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Koovie
Ship's Supply Organist
# 4434

- Posted      Profile for Koovie   Author's homepage   Email Koovie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've read the whole thread and found it fascinating.

I give my thanks to the hosts, admins and other people who keep the Ship afloat on a daily basis. Without you, well, I'd probably get a lot more sleep! [Biased]

Oh, and while I'm here...let's give the thread a BUMP for the apprentices who haven't had the opportunity to read this magificient thread yet.

Posts: 216 | From: Virden, Manitoba | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Duo Seraphim*
Sea lawyer
# 3251

- Posted      Profile for Duo Seraphim*   Email Duo Seraphim*       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Grits:
pirate sunny, I would never be able to remember the thread now, but apparently the talk got onto utensils, very special utensils. We have some Shipmates who are just swimming in refinement, and one happened to mention he possessed ice cream forks.

Well, people went absolutely mad over this: "What are they?" "Why do you have them?" "Do you really use them?" "Are they silver?" It was a hilarious mixture of fascination, incredulity and admiration.

I don't think folks will ever let him forget the forks. Or his rug burns...

It was a Hell thread that featured a fascinating discussion about dinner party settings. The rug burns made their celebrated debut in the "small group experience" thread, also in Hell.

--------------------
2^8, eight bits to a byte

Posts: 3967 | From: Sydney Australia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Avalon
Shipmate
# 8094

- Posted      Profile for Avalon         Edit/delete post 
Alright, I've read the small group one and found a table setting one;and I think Limbo will be the death of me.Any estimates on whether anyone embarking on reading their way through Limbo ever comes out again - and, if so, when?
Gremlin
Ship's Cryptanalyst
# 129

- Posted      Profile for Gremlin         Edit/delete post 
Reading the whole of Limbo is something I'd leave to the obsessive... or the plain mad. Same goes for Dead Horses.

I've not heard of anyone successfully escaping with their wits... but there's always a first time. [Smile]

ETA: see you in a couple of years!

Gremlin

[ 14. September 2004, 12:45: Message edited by: Gremlin ]

--------------------
Too many freaks, not enough circuses.
Ahhh...I see the screw-up fairy has visited us again...
Oh I get it... like humour... but different.

Posts: 5221 | From: Isle of Man | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
pirate sunny
Shipmate
# 7106

- Posted      Profile for pirate sunny   Email pirate sunny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Avalon:
Alright, I've read the small group one and found a table setting one;and I think Limbo will be the death of me.Any estimates on whether anyone embarking on reading their way through Limbo ever comes out again - and, if so, when?

When you do come out, don’t forget to read Beryl AND the nativity play AND The One True Holy Catholic Apostolic AND TnT………. [Two face]

See ya at Christmas

--------------------
insert interesting signature here

Posts: 126 | From: Australia | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Christmas??? So soon???

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
dolphy

Lady of Perpetual Responsiblity
# 862

- Posted      Profile for dolphy   Email dolphy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Killing me] More like Christmas 2008.

Seriously though, it is sometimes nice to read certain parts of certain threads in Limbo but if you do read it all and manage to come out in one piece, perhaps you should start a thread on 'things I learnt in Limbo'. [Two face]

--------------------
Looking forward to my rock moving closer again.

Posts: 15134 | From: my camper van | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Koovie
Ship's Supply Organist
# 4434

- Posted      Profile for Koovie   Author's homepage   Email Koovie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
*punt*

because I can...

Wood
The Milkman of Human Kindness
# 7

- Posted      Profile for Wood   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Actually, you can't.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Posts: 7842 | From: Wood Towers | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Koovie
Ship's Supply Organist
# 4434

I can't? Oops. I'm sorry.
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Koovie, you can. He's just practising being "not nice."

P

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, obviously, you can ... it just takes a post saying "*punt*" or something similar to return a thread to the top of the list. It does seem a bit odd to do that, however, without a decent reason. Generally the prefered reasons for posting on a thread that's been inactive for a while is to add something substantive to that thread - some new information, a new question, or similar. Occasionally a thread gets *punted* because there's a good reason why people should be made aware it exists - someone mentions the subject on another thread, or it relates to a coming event (eg: a meet thread in AS).

That you have the capability to do something doesn't automatically make doing that the right thing to do.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
That you have the capability to do something doesn't automatically make doing that the right thing to do.

That almost sounds like something St. Paul would say.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
seasick

...over the edge
# 48

- Posted      Profile for seasick   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
*whistle* *whistle*

[kick]

*whistle*

--------------------
We believe there is, and always was, in every Christian Church, ... an outward priesthood, ordained by Jesus Christ, and an outward sacrifice offered therein. - John Wesley

Posts: 5769 | From: A world of my own | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sinistærial
Ship's Lefty
# 5834

- Posted      Profile for Sinistærial   Author's homepage   Email Sinistærial   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dyfrig [Posted 28 July, 2003]:

August 2005 - Simon asks for money

OMG! [Eek!]

They had the auctions board worked out that long ago!

--------------------
People laugh at me because I am different.
I laugh at other people because they are all the same.
&aelig; = æ

Posts: 894 | From: The Holy City - Adelaide | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Triple Tiara

Ship's Papabile
# 9556

- Posted      Profile for Triple Tiara   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me]

--------------------
I'm a Roman. You may call me Caligula.

Posts: 5905 | From: London, England | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Great thread... it has taken me 401 posts to find it though!!

Auntie Doris x

[ 09. September 2005, 17:38: Message edited by: Auntie Doris ]

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Unfeature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016