homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's business   » The Styx   » URL tags and the URL button

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: URL tags and the URL button
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's come to my attention (because I've had to fix some broken links) that it's entirely possible to post a raw url (in plaintext), and browsers will pick that up as a hypertext link. Thus, http://www.bbc.co.uk

I have no idea if that works across all modern browsers, or just some of them. Our antiquated Ship software works on UBB tags, which has traditionally required url formatting as
code:
[url=www.bbc.co.uk]this is a link[/url]

which turns into this: this is a link

Doublethink posted a slew of plaintext links in Hell, which I felt obliged to reformat with UBB tags, as some of them worked and some of them didn't, and some inexplicably had url brackets when she hadn't even put them in.

I appreciate that browser tech has advanced faster than Ship 'ware has. However, there are links which won't work in plaintext, and are also highly vulnerable to breaking scroll-lock and punctuation problems. Personally, I'd like to see nice, clean UBB coding for urls, but what I really want is for people to check them first in Preview Post to make sure they actually point to where they're supposed to.

Other opinions are available.

--------------------
Get your arse to Mars

Posts: 8693 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
what I really want is for people to check them first in Preview Post

Good luck with that:
quote:
... one of the six registered users who uses the preview post function ...

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18734 | From: scarily close to 40° | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've mentioned on another thread that those posting from phones may not be able to use the preview function, depending on which phone and browser.
Posts: 10829 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
I've mentioned on another thread that those posting from phones may not be able to use the preview function, depending on which phone and browser.

Did you know that if you try to surf the ship from an old Nokia brick phone you can't even read the threads!!!

Solution: Use things that work.

Posts: 15095 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Glad you mentioned scroll lock. It's clunky using the ship on my Android, but it works fine as long as nobody has broken the scroll lock. When that happens the thread is unusable.

--------------------
God has shown me that I should not call any man impure or unclean. --Acts 10:28

Posts: 62941 | From: Ecotopia | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
what I really want is for people to check them first in Preview Post

Good luck with that:
quote:
... one of the six registered users who uses the preview post function ...

I actually fiddled with that post several times. Granted I didn't use URL tags, but it just didn't show as breaking scroll lock on the device I was using. The links appeared as links and it seemed fine.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19150 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
Did you know that if you try to surf the ship from an old Nokia brick phone you can't even read the threads!!!

Well, you could always phone the Operator at the Exchange and get her to read it out to you ... [Devil]
Posts: 9216 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Whatever are these things called 'Operator' and 'Exchange' of which you speak?

I will now go and press Button B to get my fourpence back...

Nostalgia! Ah! It's not what it used to be.....

IJ

--------------------
The future is another country - they might do things differently there...

Posts: 8673 | From: With The Glums At The Bus Stop | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[TANGENT] For those who have forgotten or never knew. [/TANGENT]

--------------------
"We're not in Wonderland anymore, Alice." – Charles Manson

Posts: 10217 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Or this:

"Manhattan Transfer - Operator - 8/13/1994 - Newport Jazz Festival (Official)" (YouTube).
[Cool] [Yipee]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?"--Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon"
--"I'm not giving up--and neither should you." --SNL

Posts: 17647 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016