homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's business   » The Styx   » How purgatorial is this exchange? (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: How purgatorial is this exchange?
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by passer:
Has this type of discussion ever resulted in an administration or moderation policy change?

Yes.

It ain't common, but it has happened.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 29844 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jamat:
quote:
Marvin :We're certainly not going to provide a space where controversial or widely offensive views can be aired without those who disagree or are offended having the ability to respond. On this site as in the "real world", if you want to say offensive stuff then you have to be accept that other people will want to tell you it's offensive
I am not suggesting you should.
You may think you're not, but that is exactly the effect your suggested change of policy would have.

quote:
My contention is quite simple. It is that you need to tighten hosting interpretive guidelines to prevent vicious personal attacks in Hell
That's what Hell is for.

quote:
and to curb offensive posts in purgatory.
I don't see any way we could do that without completely banning several subjects - many of which are exceptionally pertinent to our underlying mission of Christian Unrest - from discussion.

quote:
Just to use the idea that began this thread. If someone refers to the nastiness or the rudeness or the ignorance of someone else's post that is using language not directed at the post or the argument, though it might be framed that way, but to the person.
Some ideas are nasty, rude or ignorant. I see no value to the Ship in letting them go unchallenged just because somebody who is being nasty might be upset by someone telling them they're being nasty.

quote:
Also, I do not see Hell working just as a safety valve for emotion as it was designed to do. Currently, it goes way beyond that and becomes a bully's playground. That is what I object to.
It's an issue that's been raised before. Having been a Hellhost the last time it was a problem I can say that the board now is nothing like as bad as it was back then.

quote:
Why should I or anyone else be subjected to humiliation and loss of dignity. Words hurt as we all well know. In real life it is not OK. Why is it here?
For the record, I consider questioning someone's salvation to be far more potentially hurtful than a random throwaway insult. And I consider assertions that certain classes of people shouldn't have the rights and respect that the rest of us take for granted to be the ultimate in humiliation and loss of dignity. If we were to moderate the board in such a way as to protect posters from humiliation and loss of dignity, those would be the first things to be banned.

Alternatively, we can continue allowing (virtually) any subject or point of view to be expressed - and challenged - so long as outside Hell it is always the view that is being attacked rather than the person expressing it. That seems a better way of doing things to me.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 29844 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
tangent/

POI

Has this type of discussion ever resulted in an administration or moderation policy change?

/tangent

AFAIK the current regime is one known as "Hosting-lite" by those on the bridge. There used to be far more intervention.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 23904 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And, before that hosting was even lighter than it is now. There are still things the hosts call in Purgatory that I wouldn't have thought twice about when I was hosting Purgatory. The move to heavier hosting was, in part, in response to threads like this (and, PMs etc) suggesting that the hosts should have called foul on particular instances where they felt attacked.

The heavier hosting didn't work - it was a move away from a community of adults engaged in robust discussion self-policing themselves to something more akin to a school yard with people constantly running to the hosts as though they were teachers splitting up fights. It created a lot of work for the hosts and resulted in a lower standard of discussion.

So, we're back to lighter hosting. And, IMO, if there was any need to change that it would be towards even lighter hosting rather than start back on the road towards heavier hosting.

--------------------
Don't Brexit if you haven't a scooby how to fix it.

Posts: 31968 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
tangent/

POI

/tangent

Yes. For example, the policy on suicidal ideations was modified and clarified in the FAQs. And the policy on the scope of DH was modified to include the "any aspect" clause, also to allow the creation of new threads. Both of these changes followed discussions in the Styx.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 20858 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

- Posted      Profile for Jamat   Author's homepage   Email Jamat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
And, before that hosting was even lighter than it is now. There are still things the hosts call in Purgatory that I wouldn't have thought twice about when I was hosting Purgatory. The move to heavier hosting was, in part, in response to threads like this (and, PMs etc) suggesting that the hosts should have called foul on particular instances where they felt attacked.

The heavier hosting didn't work - it was a move away from a community of adults engaged in robust discussion self-policing themselves to something more akin to a school yard with people constantly running to the hosts as though they were teachers splitting up fights. It created a lot of work for the hosts and resulted in a lower standard of discussion.

So, we're back to lighter hosting. And, IMO, if there was any need to change that it would be towards even lighter hosting rather than start back on the road towards heavier hosting.

Well that is very interesting, I was unaware of all that history and it helps to clarify your thinking. I do not know who controls this web site or how policy is determined. Whatever, though, I disagree with the extent of the current laissez faire approach but must let the matter rest as everyone else seems content with it.

--------------------
Jamat ..in utmost longditude, where Heaven
with Earth and ocean meets, the setting sun slowly descended, and with right aspect
Against the eastern gate of Paradise. (Milton Paradise Lost Bk iv)

Posts: 2967 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
passer

Indigo
# 13329

- Posted      Profile for passer   Email passer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
quote:
tangent/

POI

/tangent

Yes. For example, the policy on suicidal ideations was modified and clarified in the FAQs. And the policy on the scope of DH was modified to include the "any aspect" clause, also to allow the creation of new threads. Both of these changes followed discussions in the Styx.
Thanks, and also to the others who responded.
Posts: 1266 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When this thread originally started I dithered about posting because some of the threads in Purgatory and Dead Horses felt to me as if they are far more personally aggressive than has been so in the past and I did think that Jamat had a point, but I didn't have the time or energy to go through looking for posts to illustrate this.

Having been involved in the Felbrigg Hall Lanyard thread over the last week or so, there have been several examples of that personalisation from a few posters in particular which in some cases feel as if they should be in Hell rather than in Dead Horses.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13481 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As a probably candidate for who prompted your post, CK, what you describe illustrates the tension between Thunderbunk's recent Styx thread and this one.

I'd like to point out that amid the tension, the discussion has continued.

[ 13. August 2017, 20:35: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
So goodnight moon, I want the sun
If it's not here soon, I might be done
No it won't be too soon 'til I say goodnight moon

- A. N. Parsley, D. Mcvinni

Posts: 16607 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016