homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's business   » The Styx   » Board for writers

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Board for writers
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Are there any other interest in a board for writers?

I can see it covering usual writers topics - getting agents, getting published. But also, spirituality in writing (fiction and non-fiction).

I am not sure how many shpmates might be interested, but if you would be, please say.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Do you mean a private board or an Eighth Day project?

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There used to be a private board. I was on it, but buggered if I can remember what it was called. The Write Stuff?

It lasted a decent while, and then fizzled out. I'm going to suggest that you bring your suggestion with you to the New Ship™, and we can see if there's renewed interest there.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'd be in. When are we to be graced with the New Ship?

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The New Ship will be ready when it is.

You cannot hurry the New Ship.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
All hail the New Ship!
Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I mean an eighth day experiment first.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
The New Ship will be ready when it is.

You cannot hurry the New Ship.

NEW Ship? [Eek!] You had to say that. gasp change... pant...gasp...choke...hadn't thought of it that way...no no no no no...will not panic... change can be good...can't it?..getagrip!!!
No, it will be fine.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
[it will be fine, breaking the horizontal page width isn't fine]

[ 10. September 2017, 19:22: Message edited by: Alan Cresswell ]

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
New Ship? My grandparents gave the light bulb in the old Ship!

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I would be interested in taking part.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

It may be an Eighth Day experiment for the new boards, given the time to organise it.

2 interested so far. It could potentially be open to music writers too (but for those who produce the music, not just listen or play).

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I would be interested.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ohher
Shipmate
# 18607

- Posted      Profile for Ohher   Author's homepage   Email Ohher   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'd be interested.

--------------------
From the Land of the Native American Brave and the Home of the Buy-One-Get-One-Free

Posts: 374 | From: New Hampshire, USA | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I participated a bit in the old one (I feel like maybe it was called Writers' Bloc? but not sure ...) while it was alive, and would probably participate again if there's enough interest to keep it going.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I would be theoretically interested, then well-intentioned about participating, then increasingly guilty and awkward as I never find time to do either any writing or writing about writing.

<beamingawkwardsmile>

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

- Posted      Profile for MaryLouise   Author's homepage   Email MaryLouise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm active in a couple of writing forums and would be interested.

I presume the reason the writer's board was private on the Ship was because you don't want to post chapters or extracts from unpublished work-in-progress writing on a public board (to prevent plagiarism, safeguard copyright). Most writers' forums have password-coded private areas where members can put up synopses, opening chapters, pitches etc for feedback. This is often where posters find beta readers who are sympathetic to their kind of writing, write the same kind of thing and would be keen on a reciprocal close read of works-in-progress.

What I find useful in the more public spaces of a writers' forum is discussion on fiction structure, world-building, developing characters and narrative arcs. Along with threads on what people are reading, weekly word counts, links to articles on self-publishing, finding agents, self-promotion on social media or not, etc.

--------------------
“As regards plots I find real life no help at all. Real life seems to have no plots.”

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Posts: 646 | From: Cape Town | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

quote:
Originally posted by Trudy Scrumptious:
Writers' Bloc?

That was definitely it. Well remembered.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm curious to know what a writers board has to do with the main thrust of this bulletin board (ITTWACW), what would be gained for participants beyond that offered by other more focused boards elsewhere and so on.

Fair enough as an experiment or a private board for those who are interested, but it seems to me to be a bit of a problem to try to ultimately include every possible hobby, job or interest of participants here.

--------------------
arse

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think it's just a facility (which folks have to pay for and apply for) offered to Shipmates who have a common interest. I don't think it needs to relate directly to the Ship's ethos. Also, there is no guarantee of acceptance of application.

Here's the link to Private Boards.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

- Posted      Profile for MaryLouise   Author's homepage   Email MaryLouise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Barnabus, there are many writers' forums completely free for anyone who registers. Otherwise people like me, given the currency exchange rate, couldn't possibly participate.

What is different here is that you have a pre-existing moderated community which is what most writers' forums have to create from scratch.

CORRECTION Oh, sorry, just clicked on the private board link and saw it requires payment. Well, that's that then.

[ 11. September 2017, 09:05: Message edited by: MaryLouise ]

--------------------
“As regards plots I find real life no help at all. Real life seems to have no plots.”

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's a cost per board, not a cost per person, MaryLouise. It just recognises that the website and server aren't kept going for nothing. Plus SoF doesn't have much by the way of reserves. Only donations keep the main boards afloat.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

Sorry again Barnabus, I seem to be in a fog of misunderstandings this morning. I do know how much it costs to maintain a website.

--------------------

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
I think it's just a facility (which folks have to pay for and apply for) offered to Shipmates who have a common interest. I don't think it needs to relate directly to the Ship's ethos. Also, there is no guarantee of acceptance of application.

Here's the link to Private Boards.

OK sorry, it wasn't clear from the first few posts about whether this was a discussion about a temporary, open, board (possibly leading to a permanent, open, board) or a private, exclusive, invitation-only paid-for board.

If it is the latter, then I'd suggest various benefits aired above regarding the suitability of this website dissipate (although my q regarding whether they fit with the purpose of this website are also moot).

--------------------
arse

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
I would be theoretically interested, then well-intentioned about participating, then increasingly guilty and awkward as I never find time to do either any writing or writing about writing.

<beamingawkwardsmile>

Yep, me too. Any mileage in 'Virtual Writer's Bloc'??

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I write for my living, but suspect I'd be ... boring. I mean, it's not fiction, which is way more exciting.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

Yeah, sorry I didn't make it clear that this would be an Eighth Day Board, public, no payment required. It is only as an experiment, to get this out of our systems.

I don't think it would be a place to post much in the way of long excerpts, although maybe shorter parts, and they would be publically shown. I know of one writer who posts pieces on facebook occasionally - just short pieces, so plagarism is less of a danger.

I suppose it would more be discussion of the process and the challenges. In terms of the site ethos, I suppose there is a chance to discuss areas like how you write good fiction that expresses your faith, without being overtly Christian. And whether there is a place for a faith perspective in non-fiction (Lamb Chopped, the fact you do it for a living could be really helpful and interesting).

But maybe not. It might evolve in different ways. Is there anyone who would be interested in co-hosting it with me?

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'd be happy to share whatever I know. I've been doing this for 30 years, with occasional stints into teaching, proofreading, etc. etc. etc.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I too have a deep and considerable knowledge, but somewhat narrow. I'm an American genre writer, no more. But in certain narrow arenas I can make that highway run.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
...I suppose it would more be discussion of the process and the challenges....

That is what would interest me.

quote:
It might evolve in different ways. Is there anyone who would be interested in co-hosting it with me?
I would. I also write for a living. I don't write fiction; I do occasionally review it, though.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Always conscious of Capote's great put-down, "That's not writing; it's typing", I type a little and get bits of it published here and there, so I'd be interested.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

Cheers Rossweisse.

I will try to put together a proposal in the next week or so, as there seems to be sufficient interest.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

Can someone remind me where I put a board proposal?

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

I have no idea, but thank you.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Per the guidelines, PM to me. Looking forward to seeing it.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016