homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's business   » The Styx   » New ship and new boards... please support us! (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  12  13  14 

Source: (consider it) Thread: New ship and new boards... please support us!
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by magicroundabout:
You may say: "But it's not broken - so why fix it?" and you'd have a point. It works ...

It does! Mostly. But go down and try to find something in Oblivion. Or run a search. [brick wall]

quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
Just peeked at the donations so far; you guys are awesome. It's very heartening to see how many of us are willing to pitch in to help out.

It's very cool! And all without the public-radio-style offers of swag or promises that Alan will post a video of himself reciting Byron while doing the tarantella.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
quote:
You may say: "But it's not broken - so why fix it?" and you'd have a point. It works ...

It does! Mostly. But go down and try to find something in Oblivion. Or run a search. [brick wall]
Or do much more than read a couple of posts on a phone (I've not tried to combine finding something in Oblivion or searching with using a phone, it's a prospect that seems designed for excessive frustration.

Since we started testing Vanilla I've probably accessed it on my phone more than through my laptop. Just to marvel at being able to read and post so easily (relative to the current software - there's nothing that can replace a proper keyboard, which will always make the laptop my prefered way of posting).

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
But this will allow us to categorise and summarise information about the reports. So, for example, we can automatically create a list of all reports for a given denomination, or diocese; we can sort and order them by whatever criteria we like; we can produce statistics about reports; and yes, I think I probably agreed that I would make them searchable too!

One think I think would be very cool would be a map of churches that have been MW'd. Like an overlay on Google Maps or something.

I realise that would probably be far too impractical to actually do, but I do think it would be an awesome feature.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
magicroundabout
Apprentice
# 18869

- Posted      Profile for magicroundabout   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
One think I think would be very cool would be a map of churches that have been MW'd. Like an overlay on Google Maps or something.

I realise that would probably be far too impractical to actually do, but I do think it would be an awesome feature.

It's worth having a discussion about this after we put the new site up. MW doesn't currently collect the full address of the church visited, so it may not be possible to correctly turn the church name and vague place-name into the latitude/longitude required to put it on a map.

Perhaps all new submissions could include a full address and we could start plotting all of those on a map. But there may also have been a good reason not to do that. I can't remember.

Posts: 28 | From: Swindon, UK | Registered: Nov 2017  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
As a technopeasant*

<snip>

* Thanks to Uncle Pete for this term,

As a cyclist in the Information Superhighway I know what you mean.

As the NewShip™ will be published under Wordpress, will those already using Wordpress be able to use some of the creative things we have found in the forums or will that be frowned on?

What I mean is will the plugins installed on my Wordpress blog work on the NewShip™

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stoo

Mighty Pirate
# 254

- Posted      Profile for Stoo   Email Stoo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What?! How on earth was there not a BBC breaking news alert for this on my phone? For shame on the biased beeb.

Have chucked in a few bob. I'll miss the new folk mistaking me for a n00b until they check my member-number/registered date, but hey-ho.

--------------------
This space left blank

Posts: 5266 | From: the director of "Bikini Traffic School" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
Sipech - you are already in the running for "The old boards were better" title, and we haven't ever got the new ones yet.

Not really. I was just intrigued about the new MW format. Searchable by denomination would be good, though it may need a bit of fixing. For example, one church that I was part of was incorrectly labelled as 'independent evangelical' when it was actually part of Elim Pentecostal. I think some New Frontiers churches have also been labelled as independent. Maybe a drop-down list may be helpful.
quote:
It's worth having a discussion about this after we put the new site up. MW doesn't currently collect the full address of the church visited, so it may not be possible to correctly turn the church name and vague place-name into the latitude/longitude required to put it on a map

If it's any help, geek that I am, I have a spreadsheet recording the latitude, longitude, name, date, denomination and rating of all churches I've done. The locations are put on a personalised Google Map, along with the 'to do' churches. [Big Grin]

Edit: Is there a non-Paypal method for contributing? I don't have an account with them and have no desire to set one up.

[ 20. November 2017, 11:56: Message edited by: Sipech ]

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Jonah the Whale

Ship's pet cetacean
# 1244

- Posted      Profile for Jonah the Whale   Email Jonah the Whale   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm looking forward to seeing all the animated avatars.
Posts: 2799 | From: Nether Regions | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:

What I mean is will the plugins installed on my Wordpress blog work on the NewShip™

Errr. Presumably plugins will only work if the ship blog is on a wordpress host where the plugins have been installed.

Unless the admins (of that blog) have installed the same plugins that you've installed, I can't see how we can possibly know if it will work the same as your blog.

I don't know exactly how the new ship will be set up, but I'd guess that the vanilla forum part will be embedded within a wordpress site. So unless one is going to be posting blogs (which I'm guessing probably won't be many forum members), you're not going to see the backend of the wordpress part.

--------------------
arse

Jack o' the Green
Shipmate
# 11091

- Posted      Profile for Jack o' the Green   Email Jack o' the Green   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Contribution made. Can't wait until the new site is up and running. Many thanks for all the hard work being done.

[Votive]

Posts: 3121 | From: Lancashire, England | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
magicroundabout
Apprentice
# 18869

- Posted      Profile for magicroundabout   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Well, possibly. We'll be using some WordPress plugins for sure. But I have a fairly tried-and-tested set that I trust and rely upon for most sites.

Do you have something specific in mind?

magicroundabout
Apprentice
# 18869

quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:
Maybe a drop-down list may be helpful.

I can't work out how to add an image, but something like this clearly-incomplete and incorrectly-ordered list?

https://cl.ly/3C201O1W0T25

quote:
Edit: Is there a non-Paypal method for contributing? I don't have an account with them and have no desire to set one up.
You should be able to pay using a credit/debit card through PayPal without needing to register. Let us know if that doesn't seem possible.

[ 20. November 2017, 12:42: Message edited by: magicroundabout ]

magicroundabout
Apprentice
# 18869

quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
I don't know exactly how the new ship will be set up, but I'd guess that the vanilla forum part will be embedded within a wordpress site. So unless one is going to be posting blogs (which I'm guessing probably won't be many forum members), you're not going to see the backend of the wordpress part.

The captain's a bit ahead of me with the whole Vanilla-to-WordPress thing. Initially they will be separate - we'll see if we can do some fancy integration of the two to make things work nice though.

And yes, you're exactly right. If you're just a forums user you won't ever see the WordPress behind-the-scenes stuff. That will be reserved for admins and contributors.

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Images and quite a few other possible changes are disabled for us hoi-polloi. Administrators can still post pictures & have other functions at their fingertips. (RooK memorably demonstrated that he can post images, change font size and colours - that tiny whimper of chocorrit remains still amuses.)

eta - I paid without a PayPal account, just used the guest options.

[ 20. November 2017, 12:47: Message edited by: Curiosity killed ... ]

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ha! mr cheesy saw through my oblique strategy.

What I was hinting at in a roundabout way is that although Wordpress itself is robust, there are hacks through plug ins. Some legal that subvert the way Wordpress was designed and some which are illegal. Nearly all attacks on Wordpress is via plugins, we have to beware.

NewShip needs to be secure from other peoples plugins. In theory it should be secure anyway. In practice it is mostly secure. Wordpress, to their credit, publish an attach report and work to fix it.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

quote:
Wordpress, to their credit, publish an attach report and work to fix it.

Or even an attack report.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

magicroundabout
Apprentice
# 18869

quote:
What I was hinting at in a roundabout way is that although Wordpress itself is robust, there are hacks through plug ins. Some legal that subvert the way Wordpress was designed and some which are illegal.

All unpermitted accesses to computers (if that's what you mean by "hacks") is illegal. Catching the offenders is nigh on impossible and in most cases not worth the effort.

quote:
Nearly all attacks on Wordpress is via plugins, we have to beware.

NewShip needs to be secure from other peoples plugins. In theory it should be secure anyway. In practice it is mostly secure.

You're right. The core WordPress software is actually very secure - especially if you have good practices around user management and password policies. But plugins can be a weak point.

I take security seriously and manage probably over 50 WordPress websites. So I know what I'm doing here.

Only administrators will be able to install plugins. I tend to use only very well-known, well-used, and well-respected plugins. I have good password management. I keep software up to date. I keep good backups.

I think we'll be OK!

[ 20. November 2017, 14:26: Message edited by: magicroundabout ]

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Donated [Smile]

The thing I really liked about the Church of Fools was the blogs. Unlike ‘normal’ blogs they generated comments and discussion due to the excellent community here.

It folded, imo, due to the lack of a ‘hell’ for differences to be ironed out. It became something of a pressure cooker.

I hope Hell will be retained on the new Ship, I think it’s the secret to her longevity.

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hell's all set to be put in the hand basket to be carried over to the new boards.

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Magic Roundabout - yes, that's the kind of drop-down list I imagined. Might get tricky for some churches, particularly if they are part of a local ecumenical partnership or otherwise can't be neatly packaged.

Alan Cresswell - I thought you went to Hell in a handbasket/handcart. Not that Hell itself was transported via that means. [Razz]

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Celtic Knotweed
Shipmate
# 13008

- Posted      Profile for Celtic Knotweed   Email Celtic Knotweed   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Are we still going to be able to donate to the fund after the target's been reached? I know I don't have any money spare until 30 November, and the total is already getting close to the target number...

--------------------
My little sister is riding 100k round London at night to raise money for cancer research donations here if you feel so inclined.

Posts: 664 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:
Magic Roundabout - yes, that's the kind of drop-down list I imagined. Might get tricky for some churches, particularly if they are part of a local ecumenical partnership or otherwise can't be neatly packaged.

It just needs a catch-all "Churches that refuse to be neatly classified". Those are the interesting reports.

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
Originally posted by Celtic Knotweed:
Are we still going to be able to donate to the fund after the target's been reached? I know I don't have any money spare until 30 November, and the total is already getting close to the target number...

There have already been some hints on this thread that it's intended to go a bit further once the essential parts of the new Ship are fixed. I'm sure no-one is going to object to additional donations that allow the final fitting out of the Ship after sea-trials to get done quicker.

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
But is it then necessary to donate to be kept on? My finances have changed for the worse since I first joined?

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

There is no requirement for anyone to donate.

--------------------

Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have a long-running standing order set up in favour of the (old) organ fund. Is that account still filling the bunkers?

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Joan Rasch
Shipmate
# 49

- Posted      Profile for Joan Rasch   Email Joan Rasch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
As a cyclist in the Information Superhighway I know what you mean.<snip>

As someone who goes back to dial-up FidoNet days, but is typng this on a tablet tethered to a smart phone, I guess I am both techie and peasant, with a tendency toward "LEGACY" software. See sig

--------------------
* A cyclist on the information bikepath

Posts: 509 | From: Boston, MA USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
magicroundabout
Apprentice
# 18869

quote:

Well can I start by saying a big "Hallelujah!". What an amazing, amazing lot you are. I mean, I'm truly blown away by everyone's generosity towards this project.

I actually had pretty much exactly this question from the captain himself, by email. So I guess the immediate answer is "We haven't decided yet". But yes, certainly you will be able to keep giving and the money will be put towards making things better than they already will be. It will give us some kind of buffer for any shiny things that we decide we want as we go along.

quote:
But is it then necessary to donate to be kept on? My finances have changed for the worse since I first joined?
Uncle Pete: there will be no change to the fact that this is a free community to be a part of. There are running costs, so donations are always welcome, but they are also entirely optional.

quote:
I have a long-running standing order set up in favour of the (old) organ fund. Is that account still filling the bunkers?
Sadly, I can't help with this query. I'll have to defer to my superiors.

But I hope so!

magicroundabout
Apprentice
# 18869

quote:
It just needs a catch-all "Churches that refuse to be neatly classified". Those are the interesting reports.
The intention was to have an "Other" option and the opportunity to specify the denomination - this can then be added as a formal denomination "category" if you like during the review process, if it's thought that more churches from this denomination might be Worshipped at.

I wonder...is "Churches that refuse to be neatly classified" a separate option to "Other"?
[Biased]

Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just looked at the running total and it is already over 2,300. Wow! Very exciting.

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:

Italics added.

I'd hate to see the new process become judgmental even before any reports are filed. "Churches that cannot be neatly classified" would get around this issue.

Keep in mind, too, that by some estimates there are as many as 40,000 separate Christian denominations worldwide.

[ 20. November 2017, 20:21: Message edited by: Amanda B. Reckondwythe ]

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If a service being worshipped is some kind of joint venture, perhaps it should be classified under all the conjoined denominations. In other words, should one be able to select multiple denominations from the list?

That would seem to be to be most useful for searches etc.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Jack o' the Green
Shipmate
# 11091

- Posted      Profile for Jack o' the Green   Email Jack o' the Green   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Apologies if this has already been asked and answered,but when we re-register, will we have to stick with our original signing in name, or can we choose a new one, and will it be the same as our display name?
Celtic Knotweed
Shipmate
# 13008

- Posted      Profile for Celtic Knotweed   Email Celtic Knotweed   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

Well can I start by saying a big "Hallelujah!". What an amazing, amazing lot you are. I mean, I'm truly blown away by everyone's generosity towards this project.
Well, after slightly over 10 years signed up to the Ship, and 3 years 5 months lurking before that, making a donation to improve it is something I might just want to do [Razz] . I believe that this place has more than a few people who've been about for longer (or shorter) than me and feel the same.

quote:
I actually had pretty much exactly this question from the captain himself, by email. So I guess the immediate answer is "We haven't decided yet". But yes, certainly you will be able to keep giving and the money will be put towards making things better than they already will be. It will give us some kind of buffer for any shiny things that we decide we want as we go along.

[Yipee]

--------------------
My little sister is riding 100k round London at night to raise money for cancer research donations here if you feel so inclined.

Posts: 664 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Celtic Knotweed

The ship has always been happy to receive funds via this page even if the crowdfunding is finished.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
Originally posted by Jack o' the Green:
Apologies if this has already been asked and answered,but when we re-register, will we have to stick with our original signing in name, or can we choose a new one, and will it be the same as our display name?

Vanilla doesn't have the fairly unusual difference between a user name and displayed name. So, both of those will be the same. Maintaining your current display name will help to maintain continuity with your posting history here. But, there's nothing forcing you to retain the display name you're currently using.

--------------------

Jack o' the Green
Shipmate
# 11091

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Jack o' the Green:

Vanilla doesn't have the fairly unusual difference between a user name and displayed name. So, both of those will be the same. Maintaining your current display name will help to maintain continuity with your posting history here. But, there's nothing forcing you to retain the display name you're currently using.
Thanks for the information.
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Vanilla doesn't have the fairly unusual difference between a user name and displayed name.

Most computer systems in most contexts distinguish between a username and a displayed name. Perhaps forum software tends to be fairly unusual [Biased]

Will the new ship allow spaces in names? AFAIK, Vanilla used not to, but I think perhaps it does now.

[ 20. November 2017, 22:09: Message edited by: Leorning Cniht ]

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Donation made - hope the launch goes well!

Being yet another Technopeasant, I view the future with some Trepidation, but (like all new Things) one has to give it a Try.

[Overused] to all those doing the work!

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
Will the new ship allow spaces in names? AFAIK, Vanilla used not to, but I think perhaps it does now.

That is exactly one of the things that got updated when we started testing, because Alan threw a wobbly.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
quote:

That is exactly one of the things that got updated when we started testing, because Alan threw a wobbly.
It will allow spaces, but there's a length limit. I had to omit the final "e" in "Reckondwythe" as well as the period after the "B". So my name will be Amanda B Reckondwyth

I have selected a new avatar for myself also.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
It will allow spaces, but there's a length limit. I had to omit the final "e" in "Reckondwythe" as well as the period after the "B". So my name will be Amanda B Reckondwyth

I have selected a new avatar for myself also.

So, it's already up and running? [Confused]

If it's more compatible with my phone, I guess it's a good thing. Most of the rest of the posts on this thread are over my head.

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hi everyone... we're completely knocked sideways by the blindingly fast and hugely generous response of shipmates to the new Ship fund. Thanks so much to everyone who has given – you've enabled us to reach our target of £2,500 for building the new site in just two days! That happening just wasn't in any of our plans or even in our craziest dreams. So a huge thank you from me and everyone else involved in this project.

We've decided to raise our sights and get more ambitious for the Ship, and lift our fundraising target to £4,000.

Any extra money we raise beyond our original target will enable us to start work on some of the things we'd really love to do on Ship of Fools, but which we didn't think we would have the budget for. You can read more about it in a news item just posted on the Shipyard site:

Catching a rising tide

Thanks again. When there's more news about the schedule and the look of the new site, I'll post here, hopefully soon.

[ 20. November 2017, 23:48: Message edited by: Simon ]

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Qoheleth: Just to say that your regular donations (and those of a few other shipmates), plus the one-off donations of many others, have indeed helped to top up the bunkers for a long time. Thanks to you and everyone else who supports the Ship, we've been able to pay our bills and stay online, with all our content free to view. I know we're not a very big site, but doing the above isn't easy even at our level, and lots of really good websites have closed for lack of financial support. So a heartfelt thank you to you and other shipmates for keeping the Ship afloat all this time.

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

quote:
Originally posted by sharkshooter:
So, it's already up and running?

Strictly for testing purposes by hosts, admins, and the MW lead editor (namely, me).

--------------------

basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Simon:
Hi everyone... we're completely knocked sideways by the blindingly fast and hugely generous response of shipmates to the new Ship fund.

Simon, I'm sure that I'm not the only one on the ship who's completely unsurprised by the response.

I think you and the rest of the officers here may not realize the huge amount of good will you've built up. But it's there.

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This question is probably due to my afore mentioned technopeasantry.

I already use another name to comment on a friend's wordpress blog. Will I be able to continue using my Ship name on The Ship II?

Thanks

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Will I be able to continue using my Ship name on The Ship II?

Yes. Everyone is encouraged to use their usual Ship name. Though some will undoubtedly see it as a chance to update their Nom de Plume.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
quote:
Vanilla doesn't have the fairly unusual difference between a user name and displayed name.

Most computer systems in most contexts distinguish between a username and a displayed name. Perhaps forum software tends to be fairly unusual [Biased]
Perhaps we're just using different systems. Virtually everywhere else I use I either login with a username+password, where the username is then the displayed name everyone sees, or login with email+password, with a separate displayname (so the email address is hidden).

--------------------

magicroundabout
Apprentice
# 18869

quote:
This question is probably due to my afore mentioned technopeasantry.

I already use another name to comment on a friend's wordpress blog. Will I be able to continue using my Ship name on The Ship II?

Your name on your friend's WordPress blog, your name on the Ship of Fools forums, and your name on Ship of Fools website article comments (if you choose to comment there) will be three different things.

You can choose for them all to be the same if you like, and you should also be able to comment on the Ship of Fools website without creating any kind of user account.

We may look into ways to make WordPress and Vanilla (the new forums) work together so that there's only one identity for both. We'll have to see what's possible.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  12  13  14 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016