homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's business   » The Styx   » New ship and new boards... please support us! (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  12  13  14 

Source: (consider it) Thread: New ship and new boards... please support us!
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What has the mainmast to do with this?

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The mainmast is required to support the mainsail, the topsail above, the top gallant, the royal sail, the skyscraper sail, and above that the moonraker. It is also useful for hanging traitors - from the yardarm which are horizontal spars.

I realize the Ship's tradition is to "plank" people, but this may actually be apocryphal, i.e., no one in real life actually walked a plank. Rather, they would be put on half rations, flogged (often after Church rigging was taken down on Sunday), and hanged from the yardarm.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
Rather, they would be put on half rations, flogged (often after Church rigging was taken down on Sunday), and hanged from the yardarm.

Way too much work. We'll stick with planking people.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Besides, Church rigging is a big can of worms. Far too much potential for people telling us how the rigging should be done. You can't even swing a thurible around here without starting an argument.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Or setting the mainsail on fire.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I do like the option of flogging a miscreant around the fleet.
Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by basso:

Please keep your sexy time fantasies for the private boards.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
May I offer a segment of Psalm 107 to the Ship of Fools I and to the Ship of Fools II, and all of you merchants of ideas and you drunkards, and those who pray, those who cry out, and those who don't pray, and everyone who flogs and those who want a flogging, those who've gone before, and those who may yet crew her: may This Ship be guided into a goodly haven...

quote:
Some went out on the sea in ships;
they were merchants on the mighty waters.
They saw the works of the Lord,
his wonderful deeds in the deep.
For he spoke and stirred up a tempest
that lifted high the waves.
They mounted up to the heavens and went down to the depths;
in their peril their courage melted away.
They reeled and staggered like drunkards;
they were at their wits’ end.
Then they cried out to the Lord in their trouble,
and he brought them out of their distress.
He stilled the storm to a whisper;
the waves of the sea were hushed.
They were glad when it grew calm,
and he guided them to their desired haven.

Just saying. Psalm 107 here.

[ 25. November 2017, 03:08: Message edited by: no prophet's flag is set so... ]

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Quoting Scripture? People may think we're a Christian Website!

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I see we're just £250 short of the target now, looking good !

[ 25. November 2017, 14:44: Message edited by: Doublethink. ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by basso:

Or as my father occasionally said "Keelhaul the bastard!"

No repeat offenders there.

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
<snip> Psalm 107 here.

There’s some brilliant word painting in Sumsion’s musical setting of that.
Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Parrot duly fed. (As those who have seen the hilarious film 'The Pirates in An Adventure With Scientists' know, parrots are one of the best things about being a pirate. Along with ham night.)

Well done to the Captain and Crew for their herculaneum efforts.

As for making a fuss about member numbers ... some of us were here before the member numbers even started!

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists!
Punctuation makes all the difference.

Released for the foreign markets with the weaker title
The Pirates! Band of Misfits

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you, Petitely Buddhist Pirate!

--------------------

- Lyda Rose

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I apologize if I missed this information: Will we be able to retain our old avatars? Mine was drawn for me by my Senior Child, and I am fond of it.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rossweisse:
Will we be able to retain our old avatars? Mine was drawn for me by my Senior Child, and I am fond of it.

I think we're all quite fond of your avatar. You'll be able to have whatever you care to upload for your avatar image.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
Besides, Church rigging is a big can of worms. Far too much potential for people telling us how the rigging should be done.

Is that the same as election rigging?

£152.90 to go. One last push he hearties. We'll get this raised before December.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's an auspicious time for ships at the moment, even the Royal Navy has been spotted marching at Buckingham Palace. God bless the Ship of Fools and all who sail in her.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by BroJames:
quote:
<snip> Psalm 107 here.

There’s some brilliant word painting in Sumsion’s musical setting of that.
You see, right there is one of the reasons I stick with the Ship. Where else can you find a casual reference to a (fairly) obscure but to me much loved choral/organ composer, off the back of a scripture quote? One of my favourite psalm pieces of all time this, and what was going through my head while I was reading the psalm earlier on the thread - in the original language, of course!

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
O indeed - this verse always seems so appropriate:

Psalm 107 v27
They reel to and fro, and stagger like a drunken man, and are at their wit's end.

[Big Grin]

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Landlubber
Shipmate
# 11055

- Posted      Profile for Landlubber   Email Landlubber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This has been my sig since I joined - I hope the new Ship will be sufficiently unrestful for me to keep it!

--------------------
They that go down to the sea in ships … reel to and fro, and stagger like a drunken man

Posts: 383 | From: On dry land | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
I think we're all quite fond of your avatar. You'll be able to have whatever you care to upload for your avatar image.

Thank you, RooK - but I think the only copy of it now extant is on the Ship itself. (There was a wipeout a few years back.) Is there a way to transfer it or save it?

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Is there a way to transfer it or save it?

Absolutely. Consider it handled.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I guess I should change to a photo of my new boots, they are only two years old.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
Is there a way to transfer it or save it?

I'll deny this in public but you're a good man.

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

To prevent an avalanche of similar requests, could this be something we can indicate at some point?

Babybear designed mine and I don’t think it exists elsewhere.

--------------------

- Lyda Rose

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

As a general service to all.

If you go to your profile and edit it, there will be a copy of your avatar visible. You can copy that onto your own computer. Make a note of where it is, and then when you sign up for the new boards you can upload it to your new profile then.

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Alternatively, just right click on the image in a post and you can save it to your computer.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Landlubber:
This has been my sig since I joined - I hope the new Ship will be sufficiently unrestful for me to keep it!

Assuming we even have signatures on the new Ship. There's a strong chance that they will go the same way as member numbers, because none of the sig options we've seen so far are fit for purpose.

You can always keep it in the "about me" section of your new profile if you want.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
Originally posted by Jengie jon:
Alternatively, just right click on the image in a post and you can save it to your computer.

Jengie

I wasn't sure if the displayed avatar was a lower resolution version of what's in the profile - in my case, they're both the same. But I wasn't going to assume that.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
No no. I believe. I clap my hands three times, expressing my =faith= there there will be avatars and sigs and all the good old stuff. I'm a believer! Off to contribute, because it's Charitable Tuesday.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Also, I am still open to making custom avatars if folk want them - no charge. (If H&A could let me know any parameters for that it would help, used to be 50x50.)

[ 28. November 2017, 17:41: Message edited by: Doublethink. ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie jon:
I guess I should change to a photo of my new boots, they are only two years old.

Jengie

Good ole Shipmate Chelley, who hasn't posted for a few months, has already got some Doc Martens as her avatar. Just sayin'. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

quote:

Thank you, RooK. (To demonstrate my appreciation, I will refrain from using smileys to express my happiness at this.)

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink.:
If H&A could let me know any parameters for that it would help, used to be 50x50.

The new system will display avatar images at 48x48 pixel resolution - same as today. You can load in a larger image, but it will be scaled to display at the standard size. Scaling algorithms can be unkind to some images, so to have completely consistent results it works best to have a native 48x48 image. I personally used a 3200x2400 image, because I'm a jackass resource hog and because it secretly includes a map to where I've hidden the bodies. Or, rather, it did - until the system resized the file to 250x250 for storage. So good luck finding your friends, surviving illuminati.
roybart
Shipmate
# 17357

- Posted      Profile for roybart   Email roybart   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Coming late to this thread but I have just paid my fare for the new voyage. If it were up to me, I would probably still be typing this on an IBM Selectric with a carbon copy for my files. But I trust that you all know best! Thanks to Simon, the back office, the Admins., and Hosts for all you do.

--------------------
"The consolations of the imaginary are not imaginary consolations."
-- Roger Scruton

Posts: 547 | From: here | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just need a tenner and change.

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Jack o' the Green
Shipmate
# 11091

- Posted      Profile for Jack o' the Green   Email Jack o' the Green   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Axe murder]
Posts: 3121 | From: Lancashire, England | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

BOOM:
£4014.60

You magnificent piratical bastards.

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
BOOM:
£4014.60

You magnificent piratical bastards.

You say the sweetest things.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I personally used a 3200x2400 image, because I'm a jackass resource hog and because it secretly includes a map to where I've hidden the bodies. Or, rather, it did - until the system resized the file to 250x250 for storage. So good luck finding your friends, surviving illuminati.

Personally, I am guessing Canada. We will just have to dig up all of it.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Now that we've broken through our revised £4,000 target (currently we're at an amazing £4074.60), this is just to say a very big thank you to everyone who's given so generously to the fund for the new Ship. It's hugely – astronomically! – encouraging that together we've raised such a big amount in just 12 days, and it gives us everything we need to complete work on the site. So grateful thanks to everyone for lending a hand to the Ship.

I've just a few mins ago received the final designs for how the new site will look, which means we're now seriously into our build phase of the work. I'll post more news about how that's developing when there are things to share. But for now, everything's looking very promising.

Thanks again!

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Fabulous stuff!

Is it generally expected that we register on the new ship with our existing names, or are we free to use others and maybe add our old one to the signature, as with previous spates of name changes that have occasionally been permitted?

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:
Fabulous stuff!

Is it generally expected that we register on the new ship with our existing names, or are we free to use others and maybe add our old one to the signature, as with previous spates of name changes that have occasionally been permitted?

Asked and answered. So, yes you can change, but please don't. Or your option works for continuity as well.
My preference on the desirability of change, of course, see Rook's post for the official bit. I am not official, merely (barely) tolerated.

[ 29. November 2017, 17:56: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I rather hope that most peeps will keep to their existing names, as my OCD gets upset over too many changes and chances in this fleeting world.. [Paranoid]

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Landlubber
Shipmate
# 11055

- Posted      Profile for Landlubber   Email Landlubber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:

Assuming we even have signatures on the new Ship. There's a strong chance that they will go the same way as member numbers, because none of the sig options we've seen so far are fit for purpose.

You can always keep it in the "about me" section of your new profile if you want.

Thank you - here's to a stable platform and an unrestful Ship.

--------------------
They that go down to the sea in ships … reel to and fro, and stagger like a drunken man

Posts: 383 | From: On dry land | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

- Posted      Profile for Leaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just scrambling back on board after some travel. Glad to hear of the refurbished Ship! Have donated.
Posts: 2786 | From: the electrical field | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Celtic Knotweed
Shipmate
# 13008

- Posted      Profile for Celtic Knotweed   Email Celtic Knotweed   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Donation made [Smile] Took me 2 goes though - the first time I tried paypal wanted me to create an account before taking my money [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
My little sister is riding 100k round London at night to raise money for cancer research donations here if you feel so inclined.

Posts: 664 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
here's to a stable platform and an unrestful Ship.

If we have an unstable platform expect the ship to be really unrestful.

I am expecting teething trouble, and am giving time for the waters to settle after the launch and asking all shipmates to make allowances.

I am also recklessly mixing metaphors.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  12  13  14 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016