homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's business   » The Styx   » New ship and new boards... please support us! (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  12  13  14 

Source: (consider it) Thread: New ship and new boards... please support us!
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Can I be the first person to say that I don't like the look of the new Ship? [Biased]

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
quote:
Originally posted by Landlubber:
here's to a stable platform and an unrestful Ship.

If we have an unstable platform expect the ship to be really unrestful.

I am expecting teething trouble, and am giving time for the waters to settle after the launch and asking all shipmates to make allowances.

I am also recklessly mixing metaphors.

If you chew on me, I will pick you up and drop you overboard. In love.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Oscar the Grouch:
Can I be the first person to say that I don't like the look of the new Ship? [Biased]

Living up to your name there, eh? And in the future too.
Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Simon:
Now that we've broken through our revised £4,000 target (currently we're at an amazing £4074.60), this is just to say a very big thank you to everyone who's given so generously to the fund for the new Ship. It's hugely – astronomically! – encouraging that together we've raised such a big amount in just 12 days, and it gives us everything we need to complete work on the site. So grateful thanks to everyone for lending a hand to the Ship.

I've just a few mins ago received the final designs for how the new site will look, which means we're now seriously into our build phase of the work. I'll post more news about how that's developing when there are things to share. But for now, everything's looking very promising.

Thanks again!

How much gin does 74.60 buy?

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Not enough

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
£299.60 should stretch to a few single malts (or one very good one).

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gladly The Cross-eyed Bear

Fixed Bearly Tone
# 9641

- Posted      Profile for Gladly The Cross-eyed Bear   Email Gladly The Cross-eyed Bear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Supported, and de-lurking (for the moment)

Will there be a wake for the old ship? Or just from her?

Gladly

--------------------
Percy, Mace, and Grease be with you!

Posts: 162 | From: East end of the Desolation of Smog | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wake for the old ship
Woke new ship.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Gladly, I'm glad to see you.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Donated.

Has the "Mobile Device" testing been done just with Internet Browsers ?
Will the new forums be available on "all your forums in the same place" apps like Tapatalk ?

Are there any plans (even with stratospheric projected costs) to make an actual S.o. F app ?

Oh, and incidentally, my avatar appears to be "not available"

[ 04. December 2017, 12:38: Message edited by: Wet Kipper ]

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Wet Kipper:
Donated.

Thank you [Big Grin]

quote:
Has the "Mobile Device" testing been done just with Internet Browsers ?
Will the new forums be available on "all your forums in the same place" apps like Tapatalk ?

As far as I'm aware, we've only tested it on mobile browsers. I know that Tapatalk plugins are available for Vanilla-based forums, but whether we enable them is a policy discussion we've not yet had.

quote:
Are there any plans (even with stratospheric projected costs) to make an actual S.o. F app ?
None that I'm aware of.

quote:
Oh, and incidentally, my avatar appears to be "not available"
The problem is with the website that hosts your picture, rather than with the Ship.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Do we need to do anything yet as regards re-registering? I think I may have missed something here.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
When we're ready to run out the gang plank for Shipmates to cross over to the new Ship it will be very obvious. There'll be a new Styx thread, probably email to all active Shipmates, stuff on the Facebook group, tweets.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lowlands_boy
Shipmate
# 12497

- Posted      Profile for lowlands_boy   Email lowlands_boy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've been rather more intermittent in my visits since the summer so only noticed last week it was all being done.

I've just donated, so it can just end up in the running costs if the upgrade costs have been met.

--------------------
I thought I should update my signature line....

Posts: 836 | From: North West UK | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Will the two Ships sail side by side for a while?

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:

Long enough for the gangplank to succeed.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
quote:

Had to read that twice...

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

I don't wanna gangplank. I wanna be airlifted across....

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Dude, it's either gangplank or swim.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Although if you want, you can get some air experience from part way across.

Depending on how big you are, we might be able to get shipmates to throw you across. But then, you might just hit the side of the new ship.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have a Canadian canoe I’ll gladly lend ...

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
How about some of those wing suits that base jumpers wear? Fly off the crow's nest of this Ship, have fun flying for a few minutes, then land on the deck of the new Ship?

New Ship Questions (because I'm getting jittery, and want to make sure):

--Are Limbo, Oblivion, *all the current threads*, the Christmas pageant, etc. all going to be saved and available? Hopefully, both, but I'd go for saved, if that's all that's possible at this time.

--Do we need to clear out our mail, or will it be transferred?

Many thanks.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
--Are Limbo, Oblivion, *all the current threads*, the Christmas pageant, etc. all going to be saved and available? Hopefully, both, but I'd go for saved, if that's all that's possible at this time.

My understanding of the plan is that the Old Ship will remain intact but read-only, so all the historic goodness will be preserved.

quote:
--Do we need to clear out our mail, or will it be transferred?
The New Ship™ will be a totally new and separate system, and everybody will create a new account from scratch. No individual account content will be carried over.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Read-only is fine.

Thx, Rook.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
a fresh start and new boards, coming soon - therefore not much point in starting a 2018 Death Pool thread in the Circus ?

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Probably not, unless you fancy copying posts across to the new boards once they go live.

You can start putting your lists together now, of course.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ohher
Shipmate
# 18607

- Posted      Profile for Ohher   Author's homepage   Email Ohher   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
OK, I've lost my grip on a couple of marbles. Hope a host or admin can help. I have a dim recollection of making a contribution to the new Ship (or at least thinking seriously about it) at about the same time I came down with pneumonia a week or so ago. I don't recall the amount (if indeed I did pitch in), but it was modest --probably in the 10-15 US dollar range. It would have been around Nov. 29 or 30, or perhaps Dec. 1.

Can someone tell me if I actually followed through? I want to contribute, but also can't afford to do so twice. Sorry -- I was actually quite ill for a few days, and am now somewhat muddled (and not, alas, only about this). Note to self: in future, do not contemplate financial transactions while entertaining fevers of 103.

--------------------
From the Land of the Native American Brave and the Home of the Buy-One-Get-One-Free

Posts: 374 | From: New Hampshire, USA | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Have you checked your PayPal account to see if the transaction was posted?

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ohher
Shipmate
# 18607

- Posted      Profile for Ohher   Author's homepage   Email Ohher   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If I did this, I probably just used a debit card.

--------------------
From the Land of the Native American Brave and the Home of the Buy-One-Get-One-Free

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In which case it would have been posted to your bank statement.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Which will not have arrived yet. Unless you do online banking, I don't because I worked for a bank.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
but you can get a mini statement at a cash dispenser.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

quote:
Originally posted by Ohher:
I want to contribute, but also can't afford to do so twice.

Admins do not have access to the detailed financial information, but the grand total contributed speaks very loudly about the cockle-warming generosity of the Shipmates as a whole. So I feel pretty comfortable in thanking you for even worrying about it, and recognizing your intended generosity, but to implore you to worry no more about it.

Namaste.

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What a gracious reply.

[Overused]

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Holy shit, Rook’s account has been hacked! That is completely out of character for him to post like that. I mean, imagine if the imposter got away with this and continued to...wait, never mind.
Everything is cool, nothing to see here, move along. ✋🏾👉🏽

[ 08. December 2017, 16:57: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

Rook - you sweetie!

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's Christmas... he knows that Santa's watching to see if he's been a good boy.
[Razz]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ohher
Shipmate
# 18607

quote:

Namaste.

[Axe murder]
Who are you and what have you done with our RooK?

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

It's all that money coming in. It's softened him right up.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
It's all that money coming in. It's softened him right up.

I don't like the soft RooK, can I have my money back?

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

No

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
I don't like the soft RooK, can I have my money back?

It's not about liking the RooK, it's about having the required gestalt of fear and respect. Softness is irrelevant when you have power - just ask Gozer.
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That looks to me like the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man.

This is Gozer.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by Rossweisse:
That looks to me like the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man.

This is Gozer.

That is its first form, it changes to the Marshmallow Man soon after. So still a fitting analog to our Rook.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is there a current expected date when the new ship is floating?

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
"No man knows the day nor the hour" [Angel]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
That is its first form, it changes to the Marshmallow Man soon after. So still a fitting analog to our Rook.

Thank you for the correction. (This is clearly not amongst my areas of expertise.)

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:

This is one of those times I could really use a "Like" button!

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:

But there’s a woman on her way to let you know [Razz]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

quote:
quote:

But there’s a woman on her way to let you know [Razz]
[Overused] [Overused] [Overused]

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  12  13  14 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016