homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's business   » The Styx   » New ship and new boards... please support us! (Page 8)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14 

Source: (consider it) Thread: New ship and new boards... please support us!
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Auntie Doris:
Hello poppets,

So I came in to offer my once a year post on the Celebrity Death Pool to find there are changes afoot.

When is the new ship likely to be launched?

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm still hoping that someone will share the subject line and location of the civil war thread. Thanks!

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's the former Heaven thread in Limbo, Future History of the Ship

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you, Alan. (I thought it was recent; instead, it's a true blast from the past.)

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Auntie Doris - it was supposed to be this month, but seems likely to be sometime in January.

Apparently, there is a lot of caulking to be finished - the original team were people who claimed that immigrants were taking their jobs, so they had to do the jobs the immigrants used to do. They were rubbish, so now the crew have some Polish workers to do it better*.

*This is all made up. I have no idea what the delay is.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hazey*Jane

Ship's Biscuit Crumbs
# 8754

- Posted      Profile for Hazey*Jane   Email Hazey*Jane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
You can use the Shipyard site (linked in the OP) for that.

Thanks! Hadn't revisted that since it was originally mentioned. My bad.
Posts: 4266 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
Hello poppets,

So I came in to offer my once a year post on the Celebrity Death Pool to find there are changes afoot.

When is the new ship likely to be launched?

Auntie Doris x

Brethren, be sober, be vigilant, for you know neither the day nor the hour....

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
At work we have just moved from a DOS-based system to something more up to date and now the Ship is changing from Ancient to Modern, too. Will there be anything old-school left?

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If it helps, the software we provide at work is older than the ship software.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The system at work we have just junked was older than our newest employee.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
At my workplace I believe our database is on a system created when Nixon was president.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Where I worked until earlier this year, a bank, we accessed archive material through DOS which was command line driven.

This is part of the reason I will not do on=line banking.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The reasons* for the delay:

The excess money was used for a techy booze up. They will not be sober until mid February.

Insufficient gopher wood could be obtained to build a ship 300 cubits by 50 cubits by 30 cubits.

Slow drying paint was used, it will not be dry until April.

The Mystery Worshipper plans were in Imperial and the rest of the ship in metric, they cannot be fitted together.

--------

*Some of these reasons may be fibs.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Evidently they are waiting for me to hit 10,000 posts.

Don't hold your breath...

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:

The excess money was used for a techy booze up. They will not be sober until mid February.

Insufficient gopher wood could be obtained to build a ship 300 cubits by 50 cubits by 30 cubits.

The Mystery Worshipper plans were in Imperial and the rest of the ship in metric, they cannot be fitted together.

--------

[Killing me]

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Should we start a new poll then?

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
Should we start a new poll then?

Yes - and include a 'sometime, who knows' option.

🤔😜

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I expect the control team are waiting for the bottle of water to turn into champagne. You can't have a ship launch without it.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Couldn't they just use Prosecco? Or would doing that curse the vessel at its very launch?
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
Couldn't they just use Prosecco? Or would doing that curse the vessel at its very launch?

Use that vile liquid and I flounce. Promise.
Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
I expect the control team are waiting for the bottle of water to turn into champagne. You can't have a ship launch without it.

There’s a sale on at our local Oddbins. I’d provide a bottle, but for some reason those flimsy corks pop as soon as the bottles have been in my fridge for an hour. After that, drinking it is a sort of salvage operation. I hate food waste!

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:

Use that vile liquid and I flounce. Promise.
Is there really a difference between Prosecco and Champagne? I thought it was just where they were produced.

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
marsupial.
Shipmate
# 12458

- Posted      Profile for marsupial.     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
To shorten a long story:

Decanter article

Posts: 653 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

Thank you, marsupial. I learned something.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

marsupial.
Shipmate
# 12458

- Posted      Profile for marsupial.     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A seasonally appropriate tangent. [Smile]
Posts: 653 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

--------

You're good at this - which Government Ministry are you the spokesperson for? [Paranoid]

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
H/As--

Would someone please confirm that this (from pg. 7) has been seen? Thx.

quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
{Apologies if this was already covered.}

May I make a suggestion? Could you send an e-mail out to all Shipmates*, briefly explaining what's going on?

Susan knew nothing, until a few days ago. There may be others. There are probably lots of formerly active Shipmates who would want to know.

*Or should that just be Shipmates who've ever posted? Otherwise, we might suddenly get an influx of thousands of the non-posting apprentices.
[Paranoid]

FWIW. Thx.

And jacobsen followed up with:

quote:
Like me. I've been away, out of contact and don't know what to do to survive the transition
[Help]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Confirmed, Golden Key. Emailing active members with notification and registration instructions is part of the plan. Mind you, I personally am advocating for having the boarding instructions live in the Styx first - to give advance priority to those actually paying attention.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jack o' the Green
Shipmate
# 11091

- Posted      Profile for Jack o' the Green   Email Jack o' the Green   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That seems fair. It's also a way of controlling the speed of a large influx of people onto the new boards (assuming of course that such control would be beneficial).
Posts: 3121 | From: Lancashire, England | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

quote:
Originally posted by marsupial.:
To shorten a long story:

Decanter article

Prosecco is sweet cheap rubbish, Champagne is heartburn-in-a-glass. Drink cava, you can get a good one for under £15 (avoid the Supermarket under £10 stuff).

PS: It is not pronounced Cah-vuh. it is Ca-buh, short a as in cat.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Light User
Apprentice
# 14254

- Posted      Profile for Light User   Email Light User   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As a daily lurker, but only an occasional poster, I just wanted to thank the people who are making this happen and to wish them every success in their mission. This forum does mean a lot to me, even if my contribution is negligible.

By the way, I can't seem to find the thread about The Archers? I think I might have something to say on the subject.

--------------------
Vita brevis, ars longa

Posts: 49 | From: Devon | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We had a thread rewriting the Archers that started in February 2016 and ran until the September. It is now in Oblivion. Is that what you meant?

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by marsupial.:
To shorten a long story:

Decanter article

Prosecco is sweet cheap rubbish, Champagne is heartburn-in-a-glass. Drink cava, you can get a good one for under £15 (avoid the Supermarket under £10 stuff).

PS: It is not pronounced Cah-vuh. it is Ca-buh, short a as in cat.

Agreed! Bear in mind, though, that cava will knpck you on your ass.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Bear in mind, though, that cava will knpck you on your ass.

I know, hence the avatar. Judging by the spelling, you have been partaking a little too.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Light User
Apprentice
# 14254

- Posted      Profile for Light User   Email Light User   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
We had a thread rewriting the Archers that started in February 2016 and ran until the September. It is now in Oblivion. Is that what you meant?

Ah yes, that was the one, thank you. For some reason I thought it was active more recently than that. Anyway, it can wait until the next Archers thread.

--------------------
Vita brevis, ars longa

Posts: 49 | From: Devon | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Light User:
As a daily lurker, but only an occasional poster

As of now you have 49 posts. Watch out or you'll make Shipmate before the transition!

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

Go for it, Light User!

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Chamois
Shipmate
# 16204

- Posted      Profile for Chamois   Email Chamois   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I thought of trying to go for 1000 posts before the re-launch. But I've decided to hold fire.

Watching with interest to see what happens...........

Posts: 978 | From: Hill of roses | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

If the New Ship is -very- delayed, like the end of 2018, we may all of us have plenty of time.

--------------------

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally said to me by pease:
time is an illusion, and deadlines, the glamorous assistants...

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

:Sigh:

Another false alarm.

Everytime I see RooK's name in Styx i get all excited.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

quote:
...Everytime I see RooK's name in Styx i get all excited.

I know.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

Tell me more about that.
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
His ego is big enough already. Don't make his head explode.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
His ego is big enough already. Don't make his head explode.

Either one

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

Shut up cockblockers, I'm anxiously awaiting Ross' response.
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
Shut up cockblockers, I'm anxiously awaiting Ross' response.

Wow. Only two, small words constitute a block...

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Amazing what they can do in vasectomies nowadays.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
Amazing what they can do in vasectomies nowadays.

[Killing me]

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
Only two, small words constitute a block...

Not words; people. Small people.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016