homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's business   » The Styx   » Martin to Moo

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Martin to Moo
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Moo

In response to:
this.

May I say that I was actually feeling sorry for Nick, I felt ... guilty, responsible for his leaving the thread.

I wasn't being sarcastic or patronizing if that's what you thought?

Martin

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Not my baliwick, but this may shed light.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:
May I say that I was actually feeling sorry for Nick, I felt ... guilty, responsible for his leaving the thread.

Might I suggest that a PM to Nick would have been a safer and more direct way to express that?

I will let Moo speak for herself, but as someone else who has been closely monitoring that thread, let me say that my Hostly radar perked up the minute you described another poster's biblical interpretations as "magical thinking." After that, it was hard not to see this post as sarcastic or patronising as well. You were cruising pretty close to the line all along, Martin.

[ 05. December 2017, 21:19: Message edited by: Mamacita ]

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
X-posted with Mamacita
quote:
Originally posted by Martin 60

It is highly misleading to express sympathy for Nick based on this post.

Judging by the final sentence of Nick's post:
quote:
I’m not sure what you’re trying to say here. But to be honest, I don’t much care anymore. Sorry.
The ship is for the exchange of ideas. If someone feels they're not getting anywhere, it's not appropriate to assume they left because their feelings were hurt.

I still see the use of the word 'poor' as patronizing.

Moo

[ 05. December 2017, 21:24: Message edited by: Moo ]

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:
I wasn't being sarcastic or patronizing if that's what you thought?

The thing to remember is that tone is partially conjured by the relationship between the writer and the reader. The relationship that a large population of the Ship have with you, Martin, is one of profound obfuscation stuffed with bullshit. It is impossible to fail to recognize that you can step directly from apparent incoherence to reasonable clarity on a whim, or to notice that the incoherence is smeared with nauseating narcissism.

So, basically, any time anybody gets a whiff of possible sarcasm or patronizing tone from you, it has historically been a safe bet to assume it is so. That's part of the special injunction we placed on you to avoid the hassle of dealing with your bullshit. And that's why any time any Host on any board outside Hell tells you to step away from proto-snark-like blather, your only response should be to give the discussion in question more respectful conversational space.

It is totally understandable that you have strong feelings about squandered faith. Perhaps that conversation in particular was causing you difficulty in maintaining equilibrium. That's why we have Hosts - to help us maintain a seemly façade when our inner turmoil threatens to leak out past the borders of board-appropriate conduct, heedless of our feeble intent.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you Moo, Rook.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Apparently I'm 20% narcissistic with a higher than average degree of exhibitionism, a degree of self-sufficiency and 'authority'.

Surprisingly I have minimal superiority, entitlement, exploitativeness and vanity.

Go figure.

--------------------
Love wins

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think we are concerned on the Ship only with what you do, and not at all with the possible basis for it. YOUR analysis of your inner life is of no importance. The hosts and other shipmates will make their own determinations.

[ 06. December 2017, 15:49: Message edited by: no prophet's flag is set so... ]

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016