homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's business   » The Styx   » TICTH to go? (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: TICTH to go?
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Reply from Doc Tor
Firstly, hostly decisions are discussed in Styx and nowhere else. But you just can't help yourselves, can you?

OK I'm raising it here in Styx. Please can we retain the TICTH thread on the new ship.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Bitching about TICTH is like Christmas.
Despite it, it always comes back.

Consider it our holiday gift to the Hell Hosts.

Wanders off to buy a Hot Cross bun and a Cadbury Creme egg...

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I see! It's Today, Itch Comes To Haunt.....

(Where's the door?)

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As I mentioned in Hell, TICTH threads always start off with the best intentions, and then rapidly degenerate into more-or-less Heavenly discussions which drive the hosts batshitcrazy.

The rule of thumb has always applied, that if you feel the need to respond to a TICTH post, start a separate thread. If it's worth discussing, it's worth discussing (and not necessarily in Hell - other boards are available). Otherwise, don't press the reply button.

But no-one (exaggerating for rhetorical purposes) ever ever sticks to that, and instead we breed whiny-ass digressions and smilie-fests. We don't thread replies a la usenet/reddit - so tangents are all given equal prominence to the original complaint. And it's not that we can't host it, it's that it's tedious and non-board appropriate. I'm not going to hover over a TICTH thread, deleting non-consigning posts, and I'm pretty certain none of my fellow HH will either.

None of this stops any shipmate starting a new thread specifically for their situation. If the thread has legs, it'll run. If it doesn't, it'll die and eventually Oblivionated.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you Doc, my post asking "Why Drivers of Grey Cars Don't Put Their Lights On?" in on the stocks now.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well Doc renamed the thread I started. Decided exactly what it was, rounding the square edges.

There is no point to a discussion board thread which doesn't allow some discussion. I like a thread about winges and whines, which also allows some brief comment and additional mockery. Is the sort of thing that makes such a thread worthwhile. Thus I might suggest that a lighter moderation on such a thread is in order. It should be like going for a beer or a cup of tea with friends, whom you don't like. One person says something, someone mocks and teases, someone claims their pitiful life experiences are worse and we laugh a little. A bit like Readers Digest "Life's Like That" mated with letters to the editor in a three-way with swear words.

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
With respect, Doc Tor, if we used the criteria of "it's that it's tedious" then most of the Ship would disappear depending on one's point of view. The diversity of people here makes one person love what another hates and I find that a good thing. Making a pronouncement about the new ship being TICTH-free in an actual thread the way it was made is not the greatest way to encourage good feelings about what is to come. Neither does it relieve the anxiety that many are feeling concerning the imminent change.

Your only other point that is is "non-board appropriate" is difficult for me to see. I understand that you don't want a Heavenly thread or an All Saints thread to be active in Hell but many many Hell thread do wind up being more or less like one of the other boards and sometimes, certainly more often in the past than now, threads were regularly moved around as they developed.

Personally, I find the TICTH threads extremely helpful and entertaining at the same time. As a person who does not often venture into Hell, they give me a chance to make a one-off statement of hellishness in my life without worrying about the comments that might come afterwards. Whenever a TICTH thread comes up, I actually compose a response in my head but hardly ever post. Over subsequent days, I enjoy checking the thread and do speculate about just how long it will take before someone answers and breaks the rules.

Surely there are enough hosts that one or two would take this on periodically despite the "tediousness" of it? We have hosts who operate in every other type of situation and if the current batch has formed a culture of hate around the TICTH threads, maybe I will need to make a post down there about that.

I know this is no democracy but it is one of the places where a little bit of steam is let off and where some of us find entertainment and solace about our situations too.

Please reconsider.

[ 12. January 2018, 12:55: Message edited by: lily pad ]

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I’m with lily pad - I enjoy the TICTH threads. A great mix of serious and trivial.

Most of the things there are not worthy of their own thread, but worth a few pithy/cheeky/fun/angry comments.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by lily pad:
Making a pronouncement about the new ship being TICTH-free in an actual thread the way it was made is not the greatest way to encourage good feelings about what is to come.

To be fair, this version of the Ship was declared to be a TICTH-free zone. More than once.
Although I like TICTH and think it a valuable thing, it does tend to become one of the most insipid threads we have.
Whilst I think the HH’s complain overmuch about it, it is like a minor groin itch in a public place. That you cannot scratch it, makes it feel 10 times worse.
quote:

Neither does it relieve the anxiety that many are feeling concerning the imminent change.

You had to mention the C-word. You heartless, heartless person. TICTH... [Biased]

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
Well Doc renamed the thread I started. Decided exactly what it was, rounding the square edges.

Actually, that was Rook.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
TICTH threads ... give me a chance to make a one-off statement of hellishness in my life without worrying about the comments that might come afterwards.

If that's the main reason why TICTH keeps cropping up then it's a pretty poor one. No thread in Hell is supposed to be a "safe space" - that's not what the board is for.

Though this does point to one possible strategy that the Hellhosts might be able to use to discourage it, should they be so inclined - instead of banning comments, they could encourage posters to react to each new whinge as if it was a new thread. No more safe space, no more reason for people to use TICTH rather than starting a new thread [Devil]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
I’m with lily pad - I enjoy the TICTH threads. A great mix of serious and trivial.

That is the problem.

If it is trivial it does not belong in Hell. At all. Ever.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Rubbish, Balaam. Some hell threads, particularly calling people to hell, are started on the most trivial of grounds. Doesn't mean the thread is closed.

I like TICTH threads too, sometimes you just need to blow of steam. And I don't see how reading them is any more tedious than any other hell thread.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It is not wise to meddle with the whim of the Hellhosts, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

The only real reason TICTH threads are in Hell is because Hell is in the title of the thread. There's nothing particularly Hellish about leaving your specs in the back of a hire car, double booking yourself, allergies, mud, migraines, rap on public transport, making porridge in a teapot, time-wasters, the edit time, the weather, eating soap, and cellulitis.

Almost all of those could go in Heaven as 'oh what am I like?' threads, or All Saints as prayer requests. Whining on about the edit time needs to be directed towards Styx, of course.

The Hell hosts demand red meat, raw, warm and preferably still bleeding, not these milquetoast offerings.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:

The Hell hosts demand red meat, raw, warm and preferably still bleeding, not these milquetoast offerings.

Oh, the irony.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

The rule of thumb has always applied, that if you feel the need to respond to a TICTH post, start a separate thread. If it's worth discussing, it's worth discussing (and not necessarily in Hell - other boards are available). Otherwise, don't press the reply button.

Well I'll be darned. I've been reading TICTH threads for years and never heard this "rule of thumb." Sometimes there would be mention of starting a thread of it's own, but I thought the person who had consigned something to Hell was the one being encouraged to start a separate thread and not the person who responded.

Perhaps the hosts wouldn't have been so annoyed by our repeated breaking of this, "No responding!" rule if it had every actually been stated. Sometimes clarity is a better choice than clever insult.

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

No, clever insults are always the best option.

Yes, hosts could leap in every other post with 'no responding', but that's simply unworkable and you're an unruly bunch at the best of times. At the worst of times it's like herding cats.

I appreciate that you all went to play . But we have the Circus for that.

[ 12. January 2018, 22:04: Message edited by: Doc Tor ]

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
The only real reason TICTH threads are in Hell is because Hell is in the title of the thread. There's nothing particularly Hellish about ... mud

17 people died in the mud I was talking about. A few are still missing. I drove through the area only hours before tons of mud and debris swept over the highway. That road is still closed, so if I had to get to my 81-year-old mother (who just had a minor surgery) in a hurry right now, it would take 6 hours instead of 2.

Tell me again how this is not hellish. Tell me 17 times. Or a few more.

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

You put mud in a TICTH thread, rather than a separate mud killed 17 people thread.

You've been here longer than I have. You know the score.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

No, no, no. She mentioned people DIED. Where the thread was is irrelevant to your dismissal as “not Hellish”. If you had read her post, or clifdweller’s, you would see it wasn’t annoyance at having to get out the wellies or wash the car.
Fucking well worth being in Hell.

[ 12. January 2018, 23:36: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You know, a little more thought before posting would make this feel a lot more like The Styx and a lot less like Hell.

It sounds like you are saying that the only way to have a TICTH post be authentically slotted into the right board would be for there to be a minimum of two locations so that one would be for the serious and one for the trivial. Unpalatable as I find that idea, I can see why you think just having an "H" for "Hell" in the acronym is not enough to necessarily warrant entrance into Hell. So, the hosts feel it necessary to judge whether or not something I, personally, condemn to Hell is Hell-ish enough to remain and that is too hard. Well, I guess it would be. So why not just move it all to a different board and have a reasonable rotation of hosts and off-periods of time where other topics are pursued? I doubt that anyone cares where it is.

Yet, there is also the issue of no discussion - on a discussion board - or our knuckles will be rapped and we will have crossed some impossible line that will trigger the closure of the thread and will cause so much upset among those who host the boards that the new version of the Ship will not allow such expressions. I can't imagine that would happen outside of Hell. That alone makes it Hellish, no?

Whimsy mixed with the serious and the thoughtful use of words and wit are what attracted me to the Ship. While I know it is not a democracy here, it sure doesn't feel reasonable to act this way.

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I propose that the thread be called WHAT CHEESES ME OFF and posted in Heaven or All Saints. I say that because I haven't yet grasped the difference between them.

I further propose that the actual complaint portion of the post must be typed with caps lock on. For example:

Martin I am soooo soooooory that your cat refused to eat her food again. Have you tried feeding her dog food? In other news, I WAS HANGING OUT THE WASHING WHEN A PARTICULARLY FEROCIOUS GUST OF WIND CAUSED IT TO SPIN BEFORE I HAD FIXED MY WHITE SHEET PROPERLY TO THE LINE. THE SHEET BLEW ONTO THE ROAD WHERE IT COVERED THE WINDSCREEN OF A TRUCK WHICH CAUSED IT TO VEER INTO THE PATH OF A GROUP OF SCHOOL CHILDREN WAITING FOR THEIR LATE AND VERY IRRESPONSIBLE PARENTS. NOW I CANT GET THE BLOODSTAINS OUT. SARD WONT CUT IT. NOT HAPPY. Advice appreciated.

I personally would enjoy dipping in and out of a WHAT CHEESES ME OFF thread, wherever it lived.

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
You know, a little more thought before posting would make this feel a lot more like The Styx and a lot less like Hell.

It sounds like you are saying that the only way to have a TICTH post be authentically slotted into the right board would be for there to be a minimum of two locations so that one would be for the serious and one for the trivial.

Was this to me? Because this is not what I am saying at all.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Can't change the thing because it's always been that way. Even to the point of the thread title: gotta conform to whatever tradition holds. Reminded of some of those vestry/parish council meetings am I.

Well I'm sure there'd be any number of volunteers to specially police a whiny winge laugh and unsympathetically mock a bit our poor shit thread. Just say the word.

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
Was this to me?

No. Feel free to assume that is the case in all cases where you are not addressed directly. And perhaps a significant portion of the ones when you are.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
You put mud in a TICTH thread, rather than a separate mud killed 17 people thread.

You've been here longer than I have. You know the score.

I should have started a separate thread because I wanted to consign mud to hell after someone had already done so? I actually gave a hellish reason, too -- did you think my "pithy rant" was lacking in pithiness or rantiness?

Yes, I've been here longer than you. I was here, in fact, when a Hellhost started the first TICTH thread and laid out clear rules in the OP about not commenting on others' posts in the thread. nonprophet's current OP specifically says the thread is for those who want "to curse a bit, and attract some disinterested comment, false pity, etc." Now maybe that would have elicited some real, creative hellishness -- we'll never know what would have happened, will we? -- but it is clearly not setting up to be a pure TICTH thread. You decided to turn it into that, it seems, but didn't edit the OP to make that clear.

And so what if the thread wanders around some? It's not like reading Hell is a giant time suck these days. In the last 24 hours exactly two threads in Hell have posts, and you want to kill one of them.

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

Like academic squabbles, there is so little at stake here.

To answer the more substantive questions:

Yes, hosts regularly move threads from one board to another, with the agreement of the new hosts. The problem with TICTH threads is that they so frequently drift from barely-Hellish to Heavenly in moments, and then potentially back again. It is neither fish nor fowl: most TICTH posts would properly belong on the prayer thread in AS.

I'm not arguing for the purity of Hell (we have the cancer thread for good reasons). I'm arguing that within the elasticity of the boards, there reaches a point where a topic or theme snaps, and rightly belongs elsewhere. TICTH is a like a bunch of primary school kids playing football. It veers all over the pitch. Refereeing that gets old, quickly.

And yes, Hell traffic is fairly light. But it does need regular attention. If there are posts, they need reading.

I'm more than willing to compromise. I let this incarnation run, and have done for others in the past. But Hell is not a playground, for your entertainment. It's a vital part of the Ship that help keeps it afloat.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Life isn’t neat. The horrific is mixed with the trivial, the laughter is right there alongside the tears.

This is why I like TICTH. All human life is there.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks for allowing this incarnation of TICTH.

I want to continue having a TICTH thread, and *always* have it going.

I also think that we should allow at least minimal comments and light discussion. We almost always wind up going that way, so we likely need that very much. And, in one incarnation of TICTH, a compromise was reached that we *could* do minimal comments, like one line.

If we do separate threads for our concerns, then H/As will have much more to read. From past experience, we're sometimes told a Hell thread we've started isn't worth its own thread. Catch-22.

Confessing long-time irritation: *This one thread* and its rules often seems like Shipmates are made for the rules, and not rules for the benefit of the Shipmates. (Sorry, but I've been through this many, many times.)

I think the beauty of TICTH is that we can vent minor *and* major annoyances and problems. And, when there's light discussion, we know we've been heard--and that can make a huge difference.

ETA: Doc Tor, I don't know of anyone who views TICTH as entertainment.

The prayer thread is different. Presumably, requests there are expected to be tossed in the direction of God, saints, etc. Not every Shipmate believes in those. And some TICTH things might not fit well on the prayer thread--not in the angry way we often state them here. A Heaven thread would have some of the same problems.

TICTH is a much-needed safety valve. When we have it and use it, we're likely to be in a better frame of mind to post on the other boards. And, AIUI, Hell itself is supposed to corral things that could spill all over the other boards. So TICTH fits.

And it always seems like there's a huge sigh of relief from Shipmates when TICTH starts up again.

H/As: I'm deeply grateful for all the work and hours that you put into the Ship. Without you, we wouldn't have this wonderful place where we can hang out with each other.

Please keep TICTH going permanently.

Many thanks.
[Overused]

[ 13. January 2018, 08:22: Message edited by: Golden Key ]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

- Posted      Profile for Raptor Eye     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hell is the bucket of the ship where we can throw up when we need to. TICTH belongs there if we are not going to feel as if we've got to hold back. Some of us might get mildly sick, others the full deal, and we know it's the worst job to clear up after us.

Please let's keep it as it is, not all of the time but every now and again, as an outlet for the good of our health.

--------------------
Be still, and know that I am God! Psalm 46.10

Posts: 4359 | From: The United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:

quote:
I know this is no democracy but it is one of the places where a little bit of steam is let off and where some of us find entertainment and solace about our situations too.

The thing is, TICTH threads were never officially banned. Just that they tended to be closed capriciously by a passing Hell host when it all got a bit too fluffy bunny for them to stomach.

It's not up to us to keep TICTH Hellish. We don't curate the thread. That's your job, and one that you (collectively) suck at. Such are the joys and disappointments of a public message board.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

It wasn't a TICTH thread until they renamed it. They turned it into something else, not my idea. I was specifically hoping for something a little more fun. Read what Ruth wrote.

Sure they can do whatever they want. We know that.

lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

quote:
It wasn't a TICTH thread until they renamed it. They turned it into something else, not my idea. I was specifically hoping for something a little more fun. Read what Ruth wrote.

Exactly. It's like the stories of the judges in rural Alabama. One person holds power and even long time members can't get past the pet peeve.

--------------------

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

quote:
quote:

Exactly. It's like the stories of the judges in rural Alabama. One person holds power and even long time members can't get past the pet peeve.
quote:
When things go wretched and wrong, and you don't want a whole thread for it, but you'd like to curse a bit, and attract some disinterested comment, false pity, etc. That's why I started this thread.

Tell me again how this is not a TICTH thread posted by someone who knows full well that TICTH threads are not well received in Hell.

It had 'this is a duck' all over it, and now you act all hurt when I point out that yes, it actually is a duck. Geez.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I believe there is value in have a TICTH thread for petty one-offs, after all we have an entire board to prevent Purgatory, Ecclesiastes and Kerygmania getting clogged up with topics that won't be decided this side of the Rapture (and maybe not even then).

IMHO TICTH can prevent thread proliferation and tangents which cannot be a bad thing.

YMMV.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolemr:
Rubbish, Balaam. Some hell threads, particularly calling people to hell, are started on the most trivial of grounds. Doesn't mean the thread is closed.

I like TICTH threads too, sometimes you just need to blow of steam. And I don't see how reading them is any more tedious than any other hell thread.

Hell is the place for personal stuff. It it's personal it belongs in Hell, I'm not complaining of that. Nor the letting off of steam, that is not trivial to you. If you need to let off steam, start a new thread and rant on.

But the other stuff, the "TICTH the cat for being sick and as I went to the loo in the night I stood in it," stuff, that is neither personal nor a need to let off steam, that's just life.

There should be a "That's just life" or something thread in heaven.

In fact I can remember that thread, it was called "Today I Consign to Heck." It was supposed to attract the non hellish stuff from the "Today I Consign to Hell thread." It didn't work. Even back then, what constituted a TICTH topic was being discussed.

Hell has a purpose on these boards. If the trivial is allowed, outside of the personal, then the purpose of Hell is diminished.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

quote:

If that were true, this thread would be far shorter.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
It should be like going for a beer or a cup of tea with friends, whom you don't like.

What does this mean, "friends whom you don't like"? It seems an oxymoron.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pooks
Shipmate
# 11425

- Posted      Profile for Pooks     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
TICTH is a like a bunch of primary school kids playing football. It veers all over the pitch. Refereeing that gets old, quickly.

So, emm...what age group is allowed to play?

quote:
The thing is, TICTH threads were never officially banned. Just that they tended to be closed capriciously by a passing Hell host when it all got a bit too fluffy bunny for them to stomach.

Capriciously...Now that is an elementary age mentality.

I am a fluffy bunny, but that doesn't mean I don't feel anger or annoyance. The thing is, sometimes I prefer to express my anger by having a laugh. Not everyone expresses anger or annoyance in the same way. (I think I have said this before, a long, long time ago.) So the question that I have for some time, but have not asked until now is: Is there a place for someone like me to get air on the Ship?

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
Hell is the place for personal stuff. It it's personal it belongs in Hell, I'm not complaining of that.

ISTM that Hell is the place for interpersonal stuff. Plenty of personal stuff in ALL the other boards, particularly All Saints of course. It's just things between people that need to go to Hell.

Incidentally it's obnoxious as all fuck to take something personal to Hell and have all the Hellrats jump on it as insufficiently warranting a Hell call. Is it for personal stuff, or only for angry personal stuff? Dumbfucks.

--------------------

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

quote:
quote:

No, that's the whole point of mentioning academic squabbles - they're famous for having inverse heat and duration for the importance of the topic.
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:

Oh, I could actually name names one this, but I will leave it at all the TICTH threads IME have that element interwoven. And often after a HH warning. In my recollection, those are the types of posts that generally get the thread closed.

quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
Was this to me?

No. Feel free to assume that is the case in all cases where you are not addressed directly. And perhaps a significant portion of the ones when you are.
It. Is. ALL. About. ME.
Everything. Everyone. The Very Existence of the Universe.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

quote:
quote:
quote:

quote:
When things go wretched and wrong, and you don't want a whole thread for it, but you'd like to curse a bit, and attract some disinterested comment, false pity, etc. That's why I started this thread.

Tell me again how this is not a TICTH thread posted by someone who knows full well that TICTH threads are not well received in Hell.

It had 'this is a duck' all over it, and now you act all hurt when I point out that yes, it actually is a duck. Geez.

First off don't tell me how I feel. I observe the need to control, wondering about your motivation. Your feelings are your own. And mine are mine.

Second, you want it a certain way, and you may have it. You have the control. Some of us disagree. You want to win. You have won before we started discussing this. Just thought it would be fun to have something different. There's no hill to die on.

lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
quote:
quote:

No, that's the whole point of mentioning academic squabbles - they're famous for having inverse heat and duration for the importance of the topic.
Indeed. I understand that. I question the comparison entirely. The people who are posting are not the shit disturbers with a possible exception or two. And it is not an academic squabble and shouldn't be compared to one. Trivializing the efforts of people when they are posting in good faith, in The Styx, as instructed feels a lot like bullying. I'll bow out now as my fluffiness is obviously unwelcome here and not up to your standards and let the rest of you carry on the conversation.

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

It seems that the Hell hosts can be hellish in Styx as well as in Hell?

How would a thread called Rants, Moans and Whinges do for AS? Acceptable? Then we could be as angry and whining as we liked, and people, including the Hosts, would have to be supportive. [Biased]

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
Incidentally it's obnoxious as all fuck to take something personal to Hell and have all the Hellrats jump on it as insufficiently warranting a Hell call. Is it for personal stuff, or only for angry personal stuff? Dumbfucks.

For the record, that's an old discussion that was decided long ago. The primary purpose of Hell is to contain personal arguments that would tear the Ship apart if they happen on the other boards (we've been there, such arguments have ripped us apart), and would be almost as unhealthy if suppressed by heavy hosting.

We found early on that commentary about the Hell-worthiness of Hell calls has the effect of disrupting that role. If someone has a problem with someone else they need to feel free to take that to Hell, having others immediately jump on the thread to call it "lame" or otherwise insufficiently entertaining discourages people from taking their arguments to Hell.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

quote:
The people who are posting are not the shit disturbers with a possible exception or two.

We try to be source-agnostic in the Styx. You imply that the particular people bringing this up should not be ignored, but I'd like to assure everybody that we do not mean to ignore anybody in the Styx.

quote:
And it is not an academic squabble and shouldn't be compared to one.
My sense is that it is a very apt comparison. But perhaps the nature of my bias is that I don't give even the slightest flying fuck about TITCH or its fate, precisely because I consider it so insignificant.

The points raised about the un-parsable intermingling of humour and pain and about the impossibility of determining significance are good ones, and are worth contemplating. We'll wrangle it more offstage. But it should be pointed out that the ideal purposes of the boards is only able to realized to the degree that the boards can be pragmatically sustained. If any particular thread causes the Hosts too much annoyance, they might close it.

These two sentiments:
quote:
Trivializing the efforts of people when they are posting in good faith, in The Styx, as instructed feels a lot like bullying.
quote:
Orignally posted by jacobsen:
It seems that the Hell hosts can be hellish in Styx as well as in Hell?

...are unfortunate. Your comments and participation are indeed appreciated, even though some annoyance might have been expressed.

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
The primary purpose of Hell is to contain personal arguments that would tear the Ship apart if they happen on the other boards (we've been there, such arguments have ripped us apart), and would be almost as unhealthy if suppressed by heavy hosting.

In the briefer time I have been here, the purpose of Hell appears to have broadened in practice.
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:

For the record, that's an old discussion that was decided long ago. The primary purpose of Hell is to contain personal arguments that would tear the Ship apart if they happen on the other boards (we've been there, such arguments have ripped us apart), and would be almost as unhealthy if suppressed by heavy hosting.

We found early on that commentary about the Hell-worthiness of Hell calls has the effect of disrupting that role. If someone has a problem with someone else they need to feel free to take that to Hell, having others immediately jump on the thread to call it "lame" or otherwise insufficiently entertaining discourages people from taking their arguments to Hell.

I have seen a hell of a lot of that kind of heckling in the time I've been here. Are new hell hosts alerted to this policy?

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016