homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's business   » The Styx   » New Ship forums launch next Wednesday, 28 February (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: New Ship forums launch next Wednesday, 28 February
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I got this info from one of our very hard working tekkies.

On PMs we'll probably have some time after the switchover. There's a Two Stage process involved in turning off this current site.

Stage 1, disabling of posting except for the Styx, still allows you to log in/stay logged in, to this current site and you will still be able to read your PMs - though you won't be able to write any more. The Styx will be open for moving queries for as long as it takes.

Stage 2, the archiving stage, essentially reduces all of us to "lurker" status for this current site. Effectively, we will all be logged out permanently. And lurkers have no access to PMs. The site will still be available to read all the posts preserved here - but not PMs.

I think we will be given notice of when we will move from Stage 1 to Stage 2.

Anyway, that's as I understand the technicalities, and no doubt a tekkie will be along to clarify if I've got this a bit wrong.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Can someone of a technical bent explain, very slowly and in simple language, what to do to save PMs? Some of them are precious.

Thank you!

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The only option I know of is a manual copy and paste to a text document on your computer.

Open the PM you want to save, highlight the text, copy it, open a text editor/word processor file and paste the text in. You'll almost certainly need to insert the name it was from, the date and time etc. Repeat for all PMs you want to save (they can go in the same document if that's easier).

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What sort of device are you using, Rossweisse?

Copy and paste techniques vary a bit, depending on whether you are using a computer or a tablet with a Windows operating system, or An Apple computer or Tablet (or smartphone) using the Apple operating system IOS.

More of us use smartphones these days, and if you are, what you do is a bit different again with an android phone compared with an iphone.

But whatever you've got, there is no alternative to one-PM-at-a-time copying, pasting, and adding information about who the PM was from, or sent to.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Printing a page of PMs to PDF using my browser function is what I'd do.

[ 27. February 2018, 18:21: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This might be a really dense question.

Will the web address of the entire Ship change tomorrow afternoon? In which case, what will it change to, so that we can find the new port from which to re-embark.

Or will the Ship itself stay with the same home port, but we will be able to find the new boards to embark on by going to the home port and clicking on some sort of ticket office or quay that will appear there tomorrow afternoon?

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Barnabas, I'm using a Windows 10 desktop.

Thanks!

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ross as I said I would use the "print" option in your browser to print a page of PMs to PDF. Top right corner "hamburger" menu in Firefox.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

Thank you, Eutychus. I will try to figure it out; I'm not much good with this stuff anymore. (I blame chemo brain - it's got to be useful for something!)

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

Don't hesitate to PM me if you need a walk-through.

--------------------

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:

Will the web address of the entire Ship change tomorrow afternoon? In which case, what will it change to, so that we can find the new port from which to re-embark.

AFAIK, the link will be posted here, and several other places on the Ship.

You'll have to try really hard to miss it!

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:

AFAIK, the link will be posted here, and several other places on the Ship.

You'll have to try really hard to miss it!

Thank you.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rossweisse:
Thank you, Eutychus. I will try to figure it out; I'm not much good with this stuff anymore. (I blame chemo brain - it's got to be useful for something!)

Open the PM you want to save.

Right click anywhere on the page, then choose "Print..."

Under "Destination," chose "Save as PDF," the click on "Save."

You'll be prompted to choose a folder/location for the file and to give the file a name. Do those two things and click "Save" again.

Done. [Smile]

[ 27. February 2018, 19:47: Message edited by: Nick Tamen ]

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

- Posted      Profile for cattyish   Email cattyish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've been known to take a photograph of the thing I wish to save and save the image. I've also been known to handwrite interesting or touching or personally important internet things into a fabric bound notebook.
Cattyish, trying to stay awake a little longer.

--------------------
...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1794 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just a suggestion that maybe the Farewell to Uncle Pete thread in All Saints should be moved to Glory before the ship is set in drydock.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That will happen

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

Many thanks, Eutychus and Nick!

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Can someone of a technical bent explain, very slowly and in simple language, what to do to save PMs? Some of them are precious.

Thank you!

I just did this with a PC computer which means it will work on a Windows, Linux or Google Chrome computer system. It would work on a Apple computer if you know how to select with a mouse, copy and paste as far as I know.

1. Go to the top of the PM you want to save and put your cursor above the icon of the sender on the left. You should be just below the band which says "Source (consider it)". Basically you're inside the frame of the messages.

2. Holding the Left mouse button down, scroll your mouse down to the bottom of the frame of the last message in the PM series.

3. Let go of the Left mouse button key.

4. Right click on the highlighted area you selected. A menu may come up which includes "copy", if so click on that. If the menu does not come up, hold down Control and hit the letter C (for copy).

5. Open up a word processor program (Word, OpenOffice, LibreOffice) and get a blank document.

6. Hold down Control key and hit the letter V which will paste the contents. The other way is go to a menu at the top of the program and find "paste", which is usually in the menu labelled "Edit".

You should have the messages, including the users' icons/avatars.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Rossweisse--

quote:

Thank you!

R, this is what I've been doing and suggesting:

quote:
Idea Re Current PM Boxes:

I'm copying any PMs I want to keep, and pasting them into a blank document. (One after another, in the same document.)

Two methods I know of:

1) Open the PM, and do a Select All. (Mouse right button OR from Edit menu.) Copy. (Same way.) Paste into a blank document, and Save. Repeat for all you want to save, pasting them into the same document.

NOTE: This will pick up everything on the page, not just the PM, so it's a little messy. But, if you're in a hurry, this is quick.

2) Open the PM. Click at the left edge of the blue bar, and hold down the mouse button while you drag all the way to the end of the PM. Copy. (Mouse right button OR from Edit menu.) Paste into a blank document, and Save. Repeat for all you want to save, pasting them into the same document.

I've been using Method 2, but may switch.

I know a lot of us have a backlog of PMs. Saving them now, at least the ones you really want, may save regrets later.

FWIW.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
aliehs
Shipmate
# 18878

- Posted      Profile for aliehs   Author's homepage   Email aliehs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is that GMT?
Am I still here? wherever here is.
Am I on the new ship?
Or , am I still on the old ship?
till tomorrow, as it sinks into the Atlantic?

Was there a ritual bottle of champagne for the launching? Who swung the bottle?

In case I am designed to be relegated to Davy Jones' Locker, it's been a pleasure knowing you all.

--------------------
Now I see through a glass darkly. Maybe I should clean my specs.
sld2A

Posts: 160 | From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2017  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by aliehs:
Is that GMT?
Am I still here? wherever here is.
Am I on the new ship?
Or , am I still on the old ship?
till tomorrow, as it sinks into the Atlantic?

Was there a ritual bottle of champagne for the launching? Who swung the bottle?

In case I am designed to be relegated to Davy Jones' Locker, it's been a pleasure knowing you all.

5PM GMT. Go here and add 5 hours to your time zone.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It is now the 28th and I have only just seen this thread. I'll ask my technically-minded neighbour to give me a helping hand if I have problems, but will send out am SOS on The Styx if I can't get on board.

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 3083 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ok. I'm worried. I have only been able to access the current ship from my cellphone as our laptop so wants to die a peaceful death. Will I be able to re-register tomorrow using just my smartphone? My phone is smart. I, however...

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

Yes, you will.

--------------------

Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

- Posted      Profile for Alex Cockell     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Please could someone make the URL of the new ship extremely obvious?
Posts: 2146 | From: Reading, Berkshire UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Alex Cockell:

Amen.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It will be.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am sure it will be.

Also, five o’clock is just the new luxury liner drawing up alongside the dock.

Gangplanks will be lowered, smartly-suited Crew will be on hand to direct you to your cabin, it will not sail away until everyone is on board. Well enough of the nautical metaphors. It’ll all be fine. There’s no hurry.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

At 5pm GMT this evening the following will happen:

• Simon will post a new thread here inviting people to come over to the new Ship. This will give the URL for the new boards, and it will be very clear.
  • There will be instructions for registration, which will be simple - enter a working email address, choose a name you want to be known as (max 20 characters), choose a password (min 15 characters), fill in an optional "why I want to join" field. Then follow the link that will be sent to your email (check spam folder!) to confirm registration.
  • The boards here will be closed for new posts, excluding the Styx where we will have a dedicated "I can't get into the new boards" help thread.
What won't happen is for there to be a cut-off on registration. If you're not here to register at 5pm GMT this won't be a problem. You will miss out on reading/posting on the new Ship until you can be online ... but you wouldn't have been reading/posting here then either (not being online). You may miss out on initial teething trouble. You may find that the solution to common problems is already posted here.

[ 28. February 2018, 07:27: Message edited by: Alan Cresswell ]

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
quote:
Originally posted by Alex Cockell:

Amen.
Especially since some Shipmates use text-to-voice software, which AIUI can be somewhat troublesome. Their software might have a hard time finding the URL.

Thx.

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Once the website is open for general business, it's also going to be obtainable via search engines. As are details of this website.

--------------------

MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

- Posted      Profile for MaryLouise   Author's homepage   Email MaryLouise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This all sounds comforting except for Firenze's mention of 'smartly suited crew'. Who ARE they?

And what has happened to our shabby foul-mouthed Hosts?

--------------------
“As regards plots I find real life no help at all. Real life seems to have no plots.”

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Posts: 646 | From: Cape Town | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

ROTFL!

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by MaryLouise:
This all sounds comforting except for Firenze's mention of 'smartly suited crew'. Who ARE they?

And how much are they paying these young smartly suited seafarers in uniform?

(OK, I added a bit ..)

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Young?

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

Forever Young.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
Forever Young.

This should be the anthem for the New Ship [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

I left.

P.O.S.H. now they be.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Some of us are confined to the boiler room until we set sail. Apparently.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
‘Have you such a thing as a dungeon on board?

We have!

Then load him with chains and take him there at once!’

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So where is this New Ship? Has it got frozen to the slipway ("delayed due to adverse weather conditions")?
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

Check your timetable. It's not due for a few hours yet.

[ 28. February 2018, 10:25: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's now 12 noon GMT. The new Ship boards open in five hours (give or take a minute or two).

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
‘Have you such a thing as a dungeon on board?’

Presumably on the Freedom and Song private board....

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
It's now 12 noon GMT. The new Ship boards open in five hours (give or take a minute or two).

Will I be required to smash a bottle of champagne against my computer?
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

Yes. Yes you should do that.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

argona
Shipmate
# 14037

- Posted      Profile for argona   Email argona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm an occasional visitor so only found lately that this is happening. Do I need to do anything, to stay in touch?
Posts: 327 | From: Oriental dill patch? (4,7) | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

Yes.

In a little over an hour, this Ship will start to close, and the new Ship will start taking on passengers.

You'll need to reregister on the new Ship (the URL of which will be prominently posted here), preferably using your existing username.

Further instructions are on this thread.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm a bit late in asking this (46 minutes to go!), but what will happen to the Gallery?

Many of the pictures are of Shipmates who no longer post. Will there be a fresh new Gallery at some point?

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
I'm a bit late in asking this (46 minutes to go!), but what will happen to the Gallery?

Many of the pictures are of Shipmates who no longer post. Will there be a fresh new Gallery at some point?

It's been part of our discussions, but nothing firm has been agreed so far. As I'm sure you'll appreciate, it's not been one of the priorities.

The existing gallery will continue to exist on the same basis as the existing boards, so if lurkers can see it then it will remain accessible indefinitely.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016