homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's business   » The Styx   » NEW SHIP NOW OPEN (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: NEW SHIP NOW OPEN
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Freddy:
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
Why do I keep being asked to confirm my email? I have clicked on that about six times.

Same thing happened to me. I ignored it.
I've tried ignoring it, but the box remains on the screen, which is a bit of a nuisance. Also, I can't post.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by SusanDoris:
The computer-generated password has only about 6 characters so that was slightly puzzling, but I'll see how it works.

I noticed that there were a very small number of *'s on the form when it generated the password. You should change that once you're onboard. And, you will be onboard.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
quote:
The computer-generated password has only about 6 characters so that was slightly puzzling, but I'll see how it works.

I noticed that there were a very small number of *'s on the form when it generated the password. You should change that once you're onboard. And, you will be onboard.
Yes, I am!! Thank you very much. I am going to spend some time looking around this morning - I had to cancel the tap group because the snow arrived here a bit earlier than I thought it would. Very annoying! [Smile]

I'll see if I can change the password ... ...

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 3083 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yay! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Yay! [Big Grin]

Yeah, good, innit?!!

I think, on the whole, that instructions for changing password would be helpful, otherwise I might log myself out! No rush.

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

Golden Key

Thank you for your pm with info about what is on the new page, it is already being most helpful.

--------------------

Mili

Shipmate
# 3254

- Posted      Profile for Mili   Email Mili   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
quote:
Originally posted by Freddy:
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
Why do I keep being asked to confirm my email? I have clicked on that about six times.

Same thing happened to me. I ignored it.
I've tried ignoring it, but the box remains on the screen, which is a bit of a nuisance. Also, I can't post.
Hi Gee Dee,

I had the same problem and realised I was clicking the wrong link in the confirmation email. There's a link to the new website at the top of the confirmation email, and further down another link which is the one you need to click to confirm your email account. I didn't realise I'd clicked the wrong one until I couldn't change my profile pic and realised the box asking me to confirm my email was still there.

Posts: 1015 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

Judging by comments here, and info gleaned from examining logs at the other end, I think we can clarify issues about the emails.

1. Emails are autogenerated and many email clients interpret them as spam. Check your spam or junk folder if you don't seem to have got the emails.
  2. Some ISPs seem to deliberately delay delivery of the emails, sometimes by 5 minutes or more. Added to the manual approval process by an admin means that it could take longer than expected to receive an email. Be patient, but if it really does take a long time (>15 mins) then flag it up here or send us an email and we'll try our best to sort it quickly.
  3. If you enter your email incorrectly then the whole system fails. Take care to correctly enter your email address
We've had over 300 people register on the new boards, and only a very few difficulties. We apologise if you're one of the few, and we're doing our best to get you onboard the new Ship, but overall it's gone a lot smoother than we might have expected.

--------------------

SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

On the new board, is there a link which allows me to 'jump to first new post' in a topic?

--------------------

Abigail
Shipmate
# 1672

- Posted      Profile for Abigail     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hello, I've registered and I've had an email saying I'm approved [Smile]

I've actually registered with a different user name (I've been wanting to change it for ages) and I was wondering if there is anywhere I can say that I used to be Abigail? (apologies if this has been asked before)

--------------------
The older I get the less I know.

Posts: 505 | From: London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
On the new board, is there a link which allows me to 'jump to first new post' in a topic?

It figures you'd want to go to the oldest post you haven't read. So, the first new post is where it will always go. Which means that you'll need to scroll back to any posts you want to read again (including the OP), but it's a lot better than the system here which takes you to either the first or last post, and so usually doesn't take you to the post you want.

--------------------

SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

quote:
quote:

It figures you'd want to go to the oldest post you haven't read. So, the first new post is where it will always go. Which means that you'll need to scroll back to any posts you want to read again (including the OP), but it's a lot better than the system here which takes you to either the first or last post, and so usually doesn't take you to the post you want.
Thank you - yes that certainy sounds like a better idea.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Abigail:
Hello, I've registered and I've had an email saying I'm approved [Smile]

I've actually registered with a different user name (I've been wanting to change it for ages) and I was wondering if there is anywhere I can say that I used to be Abigail? (apologies if this has been asked before)

What a number of Shipmates are doing is adding "used to be xxxx" on all their posts. You won't need to do that for too long!

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mili and Barnabas, Thanks both. I went to the junk email section and found no fewer than 17 emails from the Ship. I had not realised I tried that many time. Clicked on the last of these and now have an email saying successfully confirmed. What next please?

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

And of course to Alan Cresswell for the vital clue.

--------------------

Abigail
Shipmate
# 1672

- Posted      Profile for Abigail     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
What a number of Shipmates are doing is adding "used to be xxxx" on all their posts. You won't need to do that for too long!

Oh I see. OK I'll do that then. Thank you!

--------------------
The older I get the less I know.

Posts: 505 | From: London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
<bump>

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Silver Swan
Apprentice
# 17957

- Posted      Profile for Silver Swan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm stuck at the 'confirm email' stage. I've checked my spam folder and wonder if I made a typo filling in my email address.
Thanks.

--------------------
Christ Jesus came to be Immanuel, not a manual.

Posts: 33 | From: Australia | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've had nothing that I can see, and as far as I know, my email is still current. Admit it.... this whole palaver is just an elaborate plot to get rid of me isn't it? Hm? Isn't it? [Paranoid]

Seriously, I'm not doing a 'farewell, cruel ship' thing, but I haven't been around much for - oh - ages now, so I haven't yet decided whether I'll register on the new forum. I'd like to for sentimental reasons, but if I'm honest I'd have to admit that at the moment my time and energy is going elsewhere. Maybe when I finally retire...

Meanwhile, I'd like to take the opportunity to thank the ship: captain, crew and passengers. It's (mostly) been a great pleasure and there are many still on board who I'll miss. [Axe murder]

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
aliehs
Shipmate
# 18878

- Posted      Profile for aliehs   Author's homepage   Email aliehs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am not quite sure where I am, but think I have crawled under a life boat, as it is very dark and mysterious. Anyway I am on board. Somewhere.
Are we going to Atlantis? or the Sea of Galilee?
And do I maintain my old sign off?

--------------------
Now I see through a glass darkly. Maybe I should clean my specs.
sld2A

Posts: 160 | From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2017  |  IP: Logged
aliehs
Shipmate
# 18878

- Posted      Profile for aliehs   Author's homepage   Email aliehs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes. I see that I do retain the signoff.

PLEASE :
Where is the circus?
So I can "send in the clowns?"

--------------------
sld2A

QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by QLib:
I've had nothing that I can see, and as far as I know, my email is still current.

whoops, sorry - it is current, but my regular mail program is no longer automatically collecting from there, due to password issues.
[Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
aliehs, we don't have signatures enabled on the New Ship™.

QLib, we all have to navigate to the New Ship™ and register a fresh account on the fresh software.

http://forums.shipoffools.com

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
aliehs
Shipmate
# 18878

Well, I am still on board under my life boat; and I can get to the circus, but I can't post. It keeps asking me to re-register(which I have done).
Doesn't one registration cover one for eternity?

This is developing into one of Dante's Inferno, and I am on a turntable, going around and around.

--------------------
sld2A

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
{tangent}

H/As:

May I make a small but IMHO important suggestion?

Please put a very noticeable *banner* on the front page of the forums on this vintage Ship, saying something like "We've got a new Ship. Sign up and board at (URL)".

Someone has to be really looking--and know where to look--to find that info. And that means that many Shipmates just won't see it--especially if they're freaking out about the Vintage Ship being mostly closed, or haven't been on board for some time.

Thx! And thanks for all your work. [Overused]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by aliehs:
Well, I am still on board under my life boat; and I can get to the circus, but I can't post. It keeps asking me to re-register(which I have done).
Doesn't one registration cover one for eternity?

There are probably system-generated confirmation requests piled up in your spam folder. The idea is that you use the personalized confirmation link in that email to activate your account. However, I've gone ahead and pre-authorized your account. You should be able to just log in and start posting.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

Golden Key, it should be pointed out that this current phase of boarding is for all the loyal In Crowd who have been paying attention, to make sure they get first dibs on berths. There is a more-public COME ONE, COME ALL phase upcoming.
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
There are probably system-generated confirmation requests piled up in your spam folder. The idea is that you use the personalized confirmation link in that email to activate your account.

OK, I stand corrected. I just noticed the handful of messages you mailed - not following the confirmation link, but replying to the system. And saying the word "confirm". So, not the spam folder problem. A different problem. But whatever; it worked.
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

Alan Cresswell

No rush for answer of course, but could you please tell me how to change password? Thank you.

--------------------

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Click on the cog on the top right hand corner and choose "Edir Profile". From there you should see the option "Change my password"

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

quote:
Originally posted by RooK:

QLib, we all have to navigate to the New Ship™ and register a fresh account on the fresh software.

Thanks, RooK, I was only kidding about the paranoia, but serious about thinking of a parting of the ways. However, on further reflection, I think I'll sign up as a slumbering stowaway for old times' sake.

--------------------

SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
Click on the cog on the top right hand corner and choose "Edir Profile". From there you should see the option "Change my password"

What is a cog? I put the magnification up and tabbed from top left but could not hear anything that might lead to 'ed profile'.
However, I did manage to see the rocking ship in one tab!! [Smile]

--------------------

SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

Ah, sorry! I have had another look and have clicked on my name and hear 'edit profile' So I'll have a go.

--------------------

SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

I think I have done it, but I don't think I'll log out to test it!!

--------------------

Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And as I've now found. My ISP has a spam folder that is only picked up by Webmail (I also had another reply that "hadn't" been sent over something else).
Hopefully now I can have permission to post, etc...

aliehs
Shipmate
# 18878

Dear RooK, from Canada, by any chance, looking at the flag,

thank you, but it still won't let me post, despite your efforts. I am beginning to feel that I am a stowaway, and will be forced to walk the plank.
I will have another try. But why is this problem occurring? I don't think it's just me. I have checked my spam folder which is empty..
Wait I have it! It's the boat people's revenge for being Australian! So much for my support of their cause; we have all been branded with the same brush, to mix a metaphor or two. Maybe if I use the brush to scrub the decks?

--------------------
sld2A

aliehs
Shipmate
# 18878

Dear Rook,
You have indeed waved me through the gates of pearl. Thank you.
Can I keep the picture I had from the avatars , or do I have to put a photo I? Being a technolo9gical luddite, I have tried several times, without success. I am indeed an elderly bear of very little brain.

--------------------
sld2A

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

Hello aliehs,

I've copied over your previous avatar image to your profile on the new Ship.

molopata

The Ship's jack
# 9933

- Posted      Profile for molopata     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Obviously, being as ever a bit behind the mass, I missed the speedy-boarding process and am only now look forward to the second confirmation e-mail (maybe a little optimistic in my expectation that you'll take me back). Meanwhile, I've taken a little mosey around the new decks, even though I'm still prevented from speaking to anyone. Looks very nice!

In any event, I wanted an excuse to write a last post on the old ship and thank Ye Admins for all the work they've done in this place over the last years. Although I wouldn't qualify as a frequent-sailor, I do look forward to taking cruises on the new discussion fora in the years to come.

Good sailing!
molopata (formerly The Rebel)

--------------------
... The Respectable

Posts: 1718 | From: the abode of my w@ndering mind | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Forthview
Shipmate
# 12376

- Posted      Profile for Forthview   Email Forthview   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In attempting to register I have confused login name and username and registered with my login name. I don't want that to be used on possible posts so does that mean that I cannot post anything until there is an opportunity ,no doubt sometime in the future, to change one's user name ?
Posts: 3444 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

quote:
Originally posted by Forthview:
In attempting to register I have confused login name and username and registered with my login name.

There is only one name - no separation of login ID and username. Tell me what name you would prefer.
Forthview
Shipmate
# 12376

- Posted      Profile for Forthview   Email Forthview   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hello Rook I would prefer to be known by my username on these boards which is : Forthview
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

As you say it, SO MOTE IT BE.
Forthview
Shipmate
# 12376

thankyou Rook.Everything seems to be in order now (for me,at least)
Chelley

Ship's Old Boot
# 11322

- Posted      Profile for Chelley   Email Chelley   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I’m suddenly getting ‘this connection is not private’ when trying to use the new boards (phone and iPad). Had no problems up until yesterday! I think someone had commented on this over there, but can’t access to read what was done. Any thoughts?

--------------------
"I love old things, they make me feel sad."
"What's good about sad?"
"It's happy for deep people!"

Sally Sparrow to Kathy - Doctor Who

Posts: 2870 | From: Wonderland, UK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

It appears to be a problem with the way Chrome-based browsers and Safari handle the certificate for the site, we're still working on a) why they sometimes mis-load the certificate and b) why they don't immediately try again and get it properly.

One work around that seems to work sometimes is to go to https://shipyard.shipoffools.com/ which uses the same certificate. That certificate may then be loaded, and hence when you go back to https://forums.shipoffools.com you have a valid certificate.

--------------------

Chelley

Ship's Old Boot
# 11322

- Posted      Profile for Chelley   Email Chelley   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks AC, I’ll try that!

--------------------
"I love old things, they make me feel sad."
"What's good about sad?"
"It's happy for deep people!"

Sally Sparrow to Kathy - Doctor Who

Posts: 2870 | From: Wonderland, UK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I tried to register the day the new boards opened. Thanks to work and stuff, it's taken me this long to realise I haven't heard anything. Therefore, a couple of minutes ago I tried to Log In, and nothing happened. Can anyone help to sort me out?

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

quote:
Originally posted by Robert Armin:
I tried to register the day the new boards opened. Thanks to work and stuff, it's taken me this long to realise I haven't heard anything. Therefore, a couple of minutes ago I tried to Log In, and nothing happened. Can anyone help to sort me out?

Certainly. I've found your application and set the email to being confirmed, which should allow you to log in and post. There is likely an email sunk in your junk folder asking you to confirm your email address - you don't have to worry about that any more.

Cheers,
-RooK

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You are registered. I've had the system re-send the confirmation email; it will require you to change your password. Post here if it doesn't work!
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Unfeature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016