homepage
  ship of fools rowers  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Things we did   » The Laugh Judgment   » The twelve priests

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: The twelve priests
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This joke submitted by Scot:

Twelve priests were about to be ordained. The final test was for them to line up in a straight row, totally naked, while a beautiful, big-breasted nude model danced before them.

Each priest had a small bell attached to his penis. They were told that anyone whose bell rang when the nude model danced in front of them would not be ordained, because he had not reached a state of spiritual purity.

The beautiful model danced before the first candidate, with no reaction. She proceeded down the line with the same response from all the priests until she got to the final priest.

As she danced, his bell began to ring so loudly that it flew off and fell clattering to the ground. Embarrassed, he took a few steps forward and bent over to pick up the bell...

Then all the other bells started to ring.

[ 05. July 2005, 10:14: Message edited by: Simon ]

Poll information
This poll contains 2 question(s). 182 user(s) have voted.
You can't view the results of this poll without voting.

Vote now     View poll results

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is precisely because it is so perfectly offensive on so very many levels, that I find it hilarious.

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Foolhearty
Shipmate
# 6196

- Posted      Profile for Foolhearty   Email Foolhearty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Somewhat funny, though I was also a bit uncomfortable with it.

I found the "test of fitness for ordination" rather demeaning toward what it means to be a priest and how the Church views sexuality.

--------------------
Fear doesn't empty tomorrow of its perils; it empties today of its power.

Posts: 2301 | From: Upper right-hand corner | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Bede's American Successor

Curmudgeon-in-Training
# 5042

- Posted      Profile for The Bede's American Successor   Author's homepage   Email The Bede's American Successor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Predictable.

As the joke was set up I figured homosexuality was going to enter into it.

But funny.

At least the joke says that gay or straight have lust in their heart.

--------------------
This was the iniquity of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had pride of wealth and food in plenty, comfort and ease, and yet she never helped the poor and the wretched.

—Ezekiel 16.49

Posts: 6079 | From: The banks of Possession Sound | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Demas*
Shipmate
# 7147

- Posted      Profile for Demas*     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is something incredibly funny about people seriously discussing religious jokes.

[Two face]

The main problem with all these jokes are that I've heard them before.

--------------------
Hamburger (note beetroot, pineapple, bacon and egg)

Emma-Jean
Shipmate
# 7165

- Posted      Profile for Emma-Jean   Author's homepage   Email Emma-Jean   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought it was funny, I guess because I tend to visualize things as I read them and the whole situation "looked" totally ridiculous.

Although I can see that it could be offensive, the fact that it is obviously so unrealistic made is not hardly offensive at all to me.

EJ

--------------------
"It is important to remember that for every oxidation there must be a corresponding reduction, and vice versa. When 4 electrons are formally removed from ethanol... they do not simply vanish" - Dr. Hultin

Posts: 422 | From: Winter-peg | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Janine:
It is precisely because it is so perfectly offensive on so very many levels, that I find it hilarious.

I thought it was funny the first time I heard it, but I don't find it at all offensive. I don't find the test for ordination idea offensive--the unreality of the situation kicks in for me there, as it does for Emma-Jean--or the implication that 90% of priests are gay--because I don't care if they're all gay.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
AdamPater
Sacristan of the LavaLamp
# 4431

- Posted      Profile for AdamPater   Email AdamPater   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Funny primarily because of ridiculous image. Not too sure how my mother-in-law would take it, but it might be fun to find out.

--------------------
Put not your trust in princes.

Posts: 4894 | From: On the left of the big pink bit. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just silly and not funny.

C

--------------------
arse

Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Afraid I've heard it too many times to be really amused or really offended. Sorry!

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This one did register on my offensive meter -- not high, but some. I guess because I thought it was insulting (by playing on insulting and overblown (if you'll excuse the expression) stereotypes), both to Catholic priests, and to homosexuals. But the silliness of the whole thing -- bells tied to penises? excuse me? -- made it seem so schoolboy adolescent as to hardly be worth getting offended by.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dinghy Sailor

Ship's Jibsheet
# 8507

- Posted      Profile for Dinghy Sailor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Again, it was so surreal that though it offends on so many levels, it offends none as long as you're prepared to take it as a joke. Hilarious.
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Simon:
Twelve priests were about to be ordained. The final test was for them to line up in a straight row, totally naked, while a beautiful, big-breasted nude model danced before them.

Each priest had a small bell attached to his penis. They were told that anyone whose bell rang when the nude model danced in front of them would not be ordained, because he had not reached a state of spiritual purity.

<snip> (if no one minds thatterm here...)

Wouldn't be much of a test for female ordination. Are female religious jokes restricted to celibates?

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:
Afraid I've heard it too many times to be really amused or really offended. Sorry!

I, too, have heard it told many a time.

I am not particularly offended by it, but it upsets me. Actually to the point of almost shedding a tear, not because f the joke itself, but because of the context in which I first heard it, and where that entire society and culture fits into my history.

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
radclyffe hall
Shipmate
# 4560

- Posted      Profile for radclyffe hall   Email radclyffe hall   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I once heard of a RC bishop who had
quote:
never knowingly ordained a staight man
this bishop would not have bothered with the dancing naked female in the first place.

also not likely in this country to find 12 men to be ordained at the same time. Last RC ordinations service I went to had only 3

PS did find it funny and not particulalrly offensive - the first time I heard it

[ 05. July 2005, 09:06: Message edited by: radcliffe hall ]

--------------------
I have the blues badder than a blind, bald, one-legged man sitting alone on a Mississippi veranda nursing a three-string guitar, an empty bottle of Jack Daniel's and a grudge

Posts: 247 | From: the mysterious east | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Foaming Draught
The Low in Low Church
# 9134

- Posted      Profile for Foaming Draught   Email Foaming Draught   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Emma-Jean:
*snip* the fact that it is obviously so unrealistic made is not hardly offensive at all to me.

Would that it were unrealistic [Frown]
The old joke doesn't offend me in itself, but its all too-believable setting offends me greatly.

--------------------
Australians all let us ring Joyce
For she is young and free

Posts: 8661 | From: Et in Australia Ego | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
aj

firewire technophobe
# 1383

- Posted      Profile for aj   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hadn't heard that one, actually. But then again I don't really move in many `religious circles', which is perhaps the best place to hear such jokes.

--------------------
if there's no god, then who turns on the light when you open the fridge?

Posts: 2994 | From: ...on location | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mousethief:
I guess because I thought it was insulting (by playing on insulting and overblown (if you'll excuse the expression) stereotypes), both to Catholic priests, and to homosexuals.

I didn't get the particular impression that these ordinands were Catholic, nor did I really see why it's offensive to homosexuals.

The humour in the joke for me lies in two things: Firstly, the ridiculousness of the situation (especially from a visual POV). Secondly, the fact that 11 people thought they had fooled the examiners and tricked their way out, but then got found out in the end through chance. This is the whole principle of English farce!

The fact that the tricksters were homosexual was obviously necessary to the joke, but wasn't in itself an attraction or cause for offense in me. I can possibly see why that fact would make this joke especially attractive to homophobes, but one doesn't need to be one to appreciate it.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Esmeralda

Ship's token UK Mennonite
# 582

- Posted      Profile for Esmeralda   Email Esmeralda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Quite funny because I hadn't heard it before, but rather offensive to Catholics. Fits with my own limited experience of would-be priests, though!

--------------------
I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand.

http://reversedstandard.wordpress.com/

Posts: 17415 | From: A small island nobody pays any attention to | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pânts*

Ship's underwear
# 4487

- Posted      Profile for Pânts*   Author's homepage   Email Pânts*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Demas:
There is something incredibly funny about people seriously discussing religious jokes.

[Two face]

Precisely what I thought!

--------------------
I'm not here any more. Dial 999 to get me. (No. Please don't really. Bit you could PM me on my new number cos I never get PMs!)

Posts: 8380 | From: The Stables | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Emma-Jean
Shipmate
# 7165

- Posted      Profile for Emma-Jean   Author's homepage   Email Emma-Jean   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Foaming Draught:
quote:
*snip* the fact that it is obviously so unrealistic made is not hardly offensive at all to me.

Would that it were unrealistic [Frown]
The old joke doesn't offend me in itself, but its all too-believable setting offends me greatly.

I think for me it was just funny to think of 12 guys standing in a row with bells tied to their peni (penises?). The joke could have ended there and I would have found it just as funny, maybe just my frame of mind when I read it. The "punch line" was kind of a groaner really in comparison to that mental image which seemed so ridiculous.

EJ

--------------------
"It is important to remember that for every oxidation there must be a corresponding reduction, and vice versa. When 4 electrons are formally removed from ethanol... they do not simply vanish" - Dr. Hultin

Posts: 422 | From: Winter-peg | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I think for me it was just funny to think of 12 guys standing in a row with bells tied to their peni (penises?).

The plural of penis is penes.

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Glimmer

Ship's Lantern
# 4540

- Posted      Profile for Glimmer   Author's homepage   Email Glimmer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Snore] Heard it before lots. Not offended at all.

--------------------
The original, unchanged 4540.
The Temple area, Ankh Morpork

Posts: 1749 | From: Ankh Morpork, Dorset | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
EpiscoWhat
Shipmate
# 9660

- Posted      Profile for EpiscoWhat   Email EpiscoWhat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Being a gay seminarian myself. I thought it was quite funny. I found no offense in it at all. though i've heard it many times it makes me at least smile when I hear it.

Tommy

--------------------
Now up and sailing: Fair Havens, the private board for LGBTQ Shipmates. Interested in joining? PM me for details.

Posts: 290 | From: Deep South, USA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
CorgiGreta
Shipmate
# 443

- Posted      Profile for CorgiGreta         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hadn't heard it before. I tought it was quite funny. I was not offended even though my initial impression was that they were Anglican priests.

Greta

Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Isn't it "penii"?

I'm trying to think how to translate the whole thing into a format that would work with a religious group like mine -- no priests -- Bible college granduates? Preaching school granduates?

Pretty much all married because a) something must be wrong with a man unmarried by age 25 to 30, and b) preachers need to be married so the congregation can press the wife into "obligatory" service, almost as a shadow preacher. But without a paycheck.

Hmmm. What would be expected to ring their bells?

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Isn't it "penii"?

Collins' Word Exchange says penises or penes.
Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

quote:
Isn't it "penii"?

No - that doesn't follow.

radius - radii
stimulus - stimuli

The plural could only be penii if the singular were penius, which it isn't.

--------------------

Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

- Posted      Profile for Sarkycow   Email Sarkycow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The test is to see whether the male priests will be tempted by lust for a female. Because that would be the big terrible problem. Whoever is setting the test presumably hasn't even entered the 1990s, and so doesn't realise that people can fancy the same sex [Biased]

I think that's half the funniness for me - that the tester is so clearly worried about the potential priests getting female companions after they're ordained, and yet the likelihood is that they'll have a male friend [Big Grin]

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.”

jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another little detail that makes it especially funny is the image of what was happening to that last guy so that his bell "rang so loudly that it flew off" -- I mean, that's quite a response!

Then one gets to picture his embarrassment about having reacted and having to pick up his bell, followed by trying to imagine what his face looked like when he heard the other eleven bells ringing as he bent over.

Yup, this is one that just elicits lots of slapstick funny mental images.

This is a new one to me, though, so I don't know how it will hold up with repeated tellings.

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Last Dog Watch
Apprentice
# 9637

- Posted      Profile for Last Dog Watch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mousethief:
This one did register on my offensive meter -- not high, but some.

I guess because I thought it was insulting (by playing on insulting and overblown ... stereotypes),

both to Catholic priests, and to homosexuals ...

Why Catholic priests, given that this is mostly an Anglican board?

[Votive]

--------------------
one - two - three - eight

Posts: 15 | From: Davy Jones Locker | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Last Dog Watch:
Why Catholic priests, given that this is mostly an Anglican board?

Why Catholic priests? Because the joke only really works with an assumption that the priesthood is celibate. There are celibate priests outwith the Roman Catholic church - but most other churches don't require celibacy in their priesthood. It also plays on various stereotypes that associate male-only celibate orders with homosexuals.

Oh, and BTW, this is a Christian board (believe it or not), not "mostly Anglican".

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Like jen, I was particularly taken by the dude whose bell goes like the clappers to the point of falling off. Now *that's* a fucken hilarious image (though my brain is only managing to construct a din similar to a dropped thurible)
[Angel]

I think the joke falls down in its delivery right at the end: the last line is very weak. A stronger finish would have been something like: "He bent to retrieve it.

And the hall was filled with a cacophony of bells."

(I mean, we wanna know that their bells ring every bit as voraciously as his... [Angel] )

I'm not offended by the gay aspect, but it's a bit stereotypical in the emphasis of the bloke's arse as the focus for gay blokes. I think Dave Allen did a version with them fully clothed with tiny bells attached, none able to be roused until the head dude tells them to strip off and go and have a shower... Now that's more realistic [Smile]

Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Last Dog Watch
Apprentice
# 9637

- Posted      Profile for Last Dog Watch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:

... Oh, and BTW, this is a Christian board (believe it or not), not "mostly Anglican".

I mean that of the posters here, most of those who state a denominational allegiance describe themselves as Anglican or Episcopalian.

[Paranoid]

--------------------

starbelly
but you can call me Neil
# 25

- Posted      Profile for starbelly   Author's homepage   Email starbelly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

... Oh, and BTW, this is a Christian board (believe it or not), not "mostly Anglican".

I mean that of the posters here, most of those who state a denominational allegiance describe themselves as Anglican or Episcopalian.

[Paranoid]

Keep digging!
Posts: 6009 | From: High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

- Posted      Profile for Newman's Own     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think this is a variation on a very old joke which had to do with men entering the military (back in the days when being gay was thought to be rare and could be a reason for exclusion from the military). IIRC, the test had to do with listening to their heartbeats and finding that one of the men in the crowd was gay - funnier, I would say, because it is realistic, where bells on a penis are not.

I did not find this offensive. It seems far less a nasty shot at homosexuals than a comment on the naivete of those who would think that only attraction to women could lead to sexual transgressions.

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth
“History as Revelation is seldom very revealing, and histories of holiness are full of holes.” - Dermot Quinn

Posts: 6740 | From: Library or pub | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Well, unless you've gone through everyones profile you can't actually know that. The directory search seems to only return a maximum of 60 people, so is of no help in determining the Anglican:Others ratio. I know many of the more prominant Shipmates aren't Anglicans, some wouldn't even call themselves Christian. It wouldn't surprise me if less than 50% of regular contributers to the boards are Anglican. If there was anyway of finding out.

Now, which host is going to be first to get the chance to tell us off for pursuing a tangent?

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

- Posted      Profile for Eliab   Email Eliab   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A so-so joke. The humour is that the whole elaboorate and ridiculous scheme has been set up on an entirely mistaken premise. It works, sort of.

But the bells are so obviously a device for the joke, not for the scheme that's being joked about. You need to have the bells, both to give the twelvth priest something to drop and bend over to pick up, and because the punchline "And then the eleven other priests all got erections" which you'd get without it would just be crass, and not really funny. You need to take the penises off camera, so to speak, and let the bells take their place.

They aren't needed for the test. Presumably the father-in-charge can recognise an erection when he sees one. Why does he need a bell as well? Maybe he's blind, but has perfect pitch, and has given each of his students a bell-end with a different note? The more I think about it, the more contrived and unfunny it is.

A little bit offensive, but not really enough to register. The underlying assumption is that Christians think sex is bad and dirty, and impotence is the highest test of virtue. It's just not true. It doesn't hit home.

[ 08. July 2005, 19:19: Message edited by: Eliab ]

--------------------
"Perhaps there is poetic beauty in the abstract ideas of justice or fairness, but I doubt if many lawyers are moved by it"

Richard Dawkins

Posts: 4619 | From: Hampton, Middlesex, UK | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Last Dog Watch
Apprentice
# 9637

quote:
Originally posted by starbelly:
quote:

[Paranoid]

Keep digging!
In what sense "digging", starbelly? [Confused]

--------------------

starbelly
but you can call me Neil
# 25

- Posted      Profile for starbelly   Author's homepage   Email starbelly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the sense that you have fallen into a a large denominational hole of which you are trying to dig your way out with the spade of sweeping generalisations...

...or in other words Alan is right in what he said above, many of us don't even consider ourselves Christian let alone Anglican.

Anyway, back to the joke...

Posts: 6009 | From: High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
SteveTom
Contributing Editor
# 23

- Posted      Profile for SteveTom   Author's homepage   Email SteveTom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I didn't find this very funny, mostly because the situation is so contrived.

I think I'd dislike the joke if I thought it implied that the "sin" of the 9 was worse than that of the one - but I don't think it does. I suppose I find homophobia more offensive than blasphemy.

The thing that does appeal to me about the joke is the image of this bishop or principal with ridiculously strict demands for ordinands, which they mostly pass with flying colours, because he's overlooking the obvious - swallowing camels kinda thing, if I can use that verb on this board without innuendo.

--------------------
I saw a naked picture of me on the internet
Wearing Jesus's new snowshoes.
Well, golly gee.
- Eels

Posts: 1363 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Orb

Eye eye Cap'n!
# 3256

- Posted      Profile for Orb   Author's homepage   Email Orb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nine out of ten priests are gay? It's simply untrue, so the joke loses all attempts at funniness right there and then.

Offensive? The situation would never happen, so it's just based on whether you think it's wrong to put priests in a contrived situation, which I don't, but I just see as pointless anyway.

--------------------
“You cannot buy the revolution. You cannot make the revolution. You can only be the revolution. It is in your spirit, or it is nowhere.” Ursula K. Le Guin, The Dispossessed

Posts: 5032 | From: Easton, Bristol | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016