homepage
  ship of fools rowers  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Things we did   » The Laugh Judgment   » Last words

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Last words
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This joke submitted by PhilA :

Jesus' last words on the cross: "Don't touch my Easter eggs - I'll be back on Sunday."

Poll information
This poll contains 2 question(s). 136 user(s) have voted.
You can't view the results of this poll without voting.

Vote now     View poll results

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just as things were looking up as well. [Disappointed]

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, come on this was laugh out loud funny AND offensive.
I thought that was the whole idea?

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
M., I'm curious: how is this offensive?

[missing period on M.]

[ 05. July 2005, 11:53: Message edited by: Ian Climacus ]

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Esmeralda

Ship's token UK Mennonite
# 582

- Posted      Profile for Esmeralda   Email Esmeralda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's actually quite funny, though it breaks all my rules about not liking Jesus jokes (see Judas, Judas thread).

It doesn't trivialize the crucifixion in quite the same way as the Judas one, IMNSHO.

--------------------
I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand.

http://reversedstandard.wordpress.com/

Posts: 17415 | From: A small island nobody pays any attention to | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Only in that it seems to make light of Christ on the cross. I suppose I wasn't really offended but felt a bit like a naughty child when I laughed out loud. Perhaps it's my GLE history rearing it's head!

M.
(oh, and I don't mind if you miss the full stop after my name - until I saw your edit, I hadn't realised I had one!)

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
AdamPater
Sacristan of the LavaLamp
# 4431

- Posted      Profile for AdamPater   Email AdamPater   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nah, just not funny. Though I can imagine it being popular in the primary Sunday School.

--------------------
Put not your trust in princes.

Posts: 4894 | From: On the left of the big pink bit. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Glimmer

Ship's Lantern
# 4540

- Posted      Profile for Glimmer   Author's homepage   Email Glimmer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Smile] OK, just like the Sunday School joke.

--------------------
The original, unchanged 4540.
The Temple area, Ankh Morpork

Posts: 1749 | From: Ankh Morpork, Dorset | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alicïa
Shipmate
# 7668

- Posted      Profile for Alicïa   Email Alicïa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
not at all offensive, just not particularly funny. It might be if I heard it as opposed to reading it though,

--------------------
"The tendency to turn human judgments into divine commands makes religion one of the most dangerous forces in the world." Georgia Elma Harkness

Posts: 884 | From: Where the Art is. | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Foolhearty
Shipmate
# 6196

- Posted      Profile for Foolhearty   Email Foolhearty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nah, not funny. Again, I like jokes that work of accepted realities . . . and there was no Easter before the first Easter for which to hide eggs.

--------------------
Fear doesn't empty tomorrow of its perils; it empties today of its power.

Posts: 2301 | From: Upper right-hand corner | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is an oddity - I didn't find it very funny, but I did find it quite offensive. And I've been on these boards long enough not to get easily offended.

I think it trivialises what Jesus did, as if all he went through was like a trip away for a few days. And easter eggs as teh most important thing about easter riles with me.

How interesting.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
strathclydezero

# 180

- Posted      Profile for strathclydezero   Email strathclydezero   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
I think it trivialises what Jesus did, as if all he went through was like a trip away for a few days. And easter eggs as teh most important thing about easter riles with me.

Errr, duh - that's the joke.

--------------------
All religions will pass, but this will remain:
simply sitting in a chair and looking in the distance.
V V Rozanov

Posts: 3276 | From: The Near East | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
sorry, not funny ecuase not plausible.
purely from the "easter eggs wouldn't be around then" side of things

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by strathclydezero:
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
I think it trivialises what Jesus did, as if all he went through was like a trip away for a few days. And easter eggs as the most important thing about easter riles with me.

Errr, duh - that's the joke.
No I do understand that. But I still find in offensive. And I am not really sure why.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

- Posted      Profile for Newman's Own     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AdamPater:
Nah, just not funny. Though I can imagine it being popular in the primary Sunday School.

My sentiments exactly.

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth
“History as Revelation is seldom very revealing, and histories of holiness are full of holes.” - Dermot Quinn

Posts: 6740 | From: Library or pub | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
hatless

Shipmate
# 3365

- Posted      Profile for hatless   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm with the cat (if it exists). Not at all funny, and therefore lacking the justification of humour. It sounds like a lame attempt to communicate the resurrection - or a pale copy of it.

--------------------
My crazy theology in novel form

Posts: 4531 | From: Stinkers | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hatless:
I'm with the cat (if it exists). Not at all funny, and therefore lacking the justification of humour. It sounds like a lame attempt to communicate the resurrection - or a pale copy of it.

Actually it just sounds like a joke to me. Which is why I laughed like a drain. But then I'm probably too shallow to try and extract anything theological from a bit of dodgy humour [Big Grin] .

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
serena
Apprentice
# 7649

- Posted      Profile for serena   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's cute, but not really funny after about the age of 9, surely?

--------------------
S
xXx

Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, that's me put in my place. Not even sure my worst enemy would credit me with a mental age of 8, but thanks for that [Paranoid] !

[ 06. July 2005, 16:11: Message edited by: Anselmina ]

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not funny but not offensive either.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
starbelly
but you can call me Neil
# 25

- Posted      Profile for starbelly   Author's homepage   Email starbelly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hostly Jesters hat on
Just a reminder for people to try and explain why you find things funny/offensive or not, you can tell us the jokes aren't funny or offensive in the poll on each joke.

A million "This is not a funny joke" posts are not really adding anything to the conversation.

Thanks
Hostly Jesters hat off

Posts: 6009 | From: High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dunno. Am one of the ones that found it a bit weak. I would prolly laugh if it was hammed up and told well. There wasn't enough preparation and it doesn't really work as a one liner (for me).

What a shame we don't have the Master of Comedy Assessment around to set us right... tee hee. Oop. Shhh. Schtum!Schtum!

Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Foxy
Shipmate
# 2409

- Posted      Profile for Foxy   Email Foxy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not sure why, but I think this would be marginally funnier with "chocolate bunny" instead of Easter eggs.
Posts: 499 | From: 11 blocks west | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Neither funny nor offensive.

The thematic disconnect between "Easter eggs" and "Jesus on the cross" is too much for this very short joke to bridge, the joke would need to be expanded, and even then, IMHO the payoff wouldn't be very much.

I see nothing offensive at all in this, I don't see it making light of Christ on the cross in the slightest.

[ 27. July 2005, 04:47: Message edited by: KenWritez ]

--------------------
"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd." --Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction

My blog: http://oxygenofgrace.blogspot.com

Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016