homepage
  ship of fools rowers  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Things we did   » The Laugh Judgment   » The Devil and the car

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: The Devil and the car
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Joke submitted by primordial_soup_dragon and Neil:

A Mother Superior and novice nun were out for a drive one morning. The novice was behind the wheel and everything was fine until suddenly the Devil jumped out from behind a tree and onto the hood of the car.

The novice slammed on the brakes in horror and wailed, "Mother Superior! What should I do?"

"Show him your cross," the Mother Superior calmly replied.

Heeding her words, the novice quickly rolled down her window, leant out and yelled, "Get off the frigging car you ugly bastard!"

[ 07. July 2005, 00:04: Message edited by: Simon ]

Poll information
This poll contains 2 question(s). 128 user(s) have voted.
You can't view the results of this poll without voting.

Vote now     View poll results

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I enjoyed this one on The Vicar of Dibley and still enjoy it.

I think it is best as a spoken one. If you're a grammar-Nazi like me and you read it, the "your" / "you're" misunderstanding is a bit harder to spot [at least for me].

3 laughs.

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like it.
Glimmer

Ship's Lantern
# 4540

- Posted      Profile for Glimmer   Author's homepage   Email Glimmer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not bad. Heard it before in other guises (V of D has rarely been original). Best orally delivered, as they say.

--------------------
The original, unchanged 4540.
The Temple area, Ankh Morpork

Posts: 1749 | From: Ankh Morpork, Dorset | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Slight snigger, even though I've heard it before.

C

--------------------
arse

Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've also heard it with the swearing removed (the teller simply shouts 'GET OFF MY CAR!' very loudly).

This means the joke is only a pun, whereas the version in the OP also has the element of a nun swearing. Whether that makes it funnier or not is a matter of taste. (ETA: and of course the level of swearing varies with the teller - this one's pretty mild.)

[ 06. July 2005, 08:19: Message edited by: Gill H ]

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
LupinPooter
Apprentice
# 9690

- Posted      Profile for LupinPooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's an oldie but a goodie. I think it's the pun that makes it funny - apart from explaining why they would have a cross, I'm not sure the nuns really add anything to the humour.

--------------------
"he had read and absorbed more than he could understand so he lived by pastiche and pretence"

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know, the reason I found this as funny as I did was partly because it reminded me of Pyx_e. I could just see him leaning out of the window shouting "Get off my car you ugly nun".

Sorry Pyx_e.

[Snigger]

Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Big Grin]

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
serena
Apprentice
# 7649

- Posted      Profile for serena   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This one gets me every time - although yes, it works better orally, because the your/you're confusion is more evident, rather than looking like an irritating typo!

--------------------
S
xXx

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In my language, "cross" and "crotch" are the same word. So for a moment I was expecting a completely different ending! [Eek!]

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
*giggle* and that thought made me laugh even more than the actual joke!!! [Killing me]

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Midnight Scholar
Shipmate
# 9112

- Posted      Profile for Midnight Scholar   Email Midnight Scholar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Version I heard before involves Dracula rather than Satan - this one's still worth a giggle though.
One of the funnier offerings so far IMO, thanks

--------------------
Men are from Earth. Women are from Earth.
Deal with it.

Posts: 129 | From: out there | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
angelfish
Shipmate
# 8884

- Posted      Profile for angelfish   Email angelfish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is one of my favourite jokes, as I love the idea of the nuns sitting serenely in the car until the younger one winds down the window and lets fly at the devil. I think that sudden contrasts or changes of mood can be very humorous, as well as the incongruity of (a)nuns driving cars and (b)nuns being angry.

Not at all offensive, which is why I like it so much.

--------------------
"As God is my witness, I WILL kick Bishop Brennan up the arse!"

Posts: 1017 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ian Climacus:
I enjoyed this one on The Vicar of Dibley and still enjoy it.

I think it is best as a spoken one. If you're a grammar-Nazi like me and you read it, the "your" / "you're" misunderstanding is a bit harder to spot [at least for me].

3 laughs.

Indeed. I had to go back and read the line again to get it!

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

- Posted      Profile for Newman's Own     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
With my love for plays on words, and jokes which hinge on misunderstanding of what someone says, I enjoyed this one. I understand that, when Henry VIII first heard it, he nearly fell out of his cradle laughing.

I could picture the Monty Python crew making this an hilarious sketch - on paper, it still is mildly funny.

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth
“History as Revelation is seldom very revealing, and histories of holiness are full of holes.” - Dermot Quinn

Posts: 6740 | From: Library or pub | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

- Posted      Profile for Eliab   Email Eliab   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Funniest with Dracula - because vampires are conventionally repelled by crucifixes, and the same is not so obviously true of the Devil. If I was hearing (rather than reading) it for the first time, I'm not sure that I'd get cross=symbol for dealing with the Devil - I could easily make the same mistake as the novice nun. With a vampire, the association with the sign of the cross is already there.

What makes it funny is firstly the pun, secondly, the nun swearing, and thirdly, her belief that very powerful supernaturally evil creatures might just go away if you shout loudly enough at them. That's touching and humane, and not at all offensive.

--------------------
"Perhaps there is poetic beauty in the abstract ideas of justice or fairness, but I doubt if many lawyers are moved by it"

Richard Dawkins

Posts: 4619 | From: Hampton, Middlesex, UK | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
iGeek.*

Resident alien
# 3207

- Posted      Profile for iGeek.*   Author's homepage         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Doesn't travel across the Atlantic well; "cross" as in "angry" is understood on this side of the pond but is in rare usage. I imagine the non-anglophile would be more likely be perplexed.

--------------------
.sig on holiday

Posts: 702 | From: Hot-on-us, TX | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I liked it when I first heard it and like it now. Best not printed: verbal. Big laugh and no offense.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Paul Mason
Shipmate
# 7562

- Posted      Profile for Paul Mason   Email Paul Mason       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The version I heard was also with Dracula and funnier because the swearing was worse - so the shock of a nun swearing was part of what made it funny.

--------------------
Now posting as LatePaul

Posts: 452 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead*

Ship’s Photographer
# 1143

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead*     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Funny, because it has a silly pun but also plays on the stereotypes of nuns (as not being the type to be cross) – and nuns are pretty funny anyway.

Not at all offensive, as the language is clearly been chosen so as not to offend.

--------------------
Benedikt Gott Geschickt!

Posts: 7082 | From: Turbolift Control. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Long-Johns Silver
Apprentice
# 1763

- Posted      Profile for Long-Johns Silver   Author's homepage   Email Long-Johns Silver   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The version I knew had the nun saying "get off my car you naughty, naughty, devil" much funnier in this instance as it plays on the innocence & ties in with being 'cross' as opposed to "angry", "pissed off" etc.
Also in the milder version it can be used in the pulpit [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Smile", they said "it could be worse".
So I did...
And it was.

Posts: 49 | From: "The Church" - Church Inn that is :-) | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Julian4
Shipmate
# 9937

- Posted      Profile for Julian4   Email Julian4   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like "get off my car you naughty, naughty, devil", too. I'm not particularly bothered by swearing in jokes but this is just funnier without. I agree it would be better heard rather than read - the "your"/"you're" pun only works aurally, but it should be a vampire rather than a devil. Quite funny in any of these versions, not offensive.
Posts: 305 | From: Dorset | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Exegesis Fairy
Shipmate
# 9588

- Posted      Profile for The Exegesis Fairy     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I always thought it was better with the vampire myself.

*sniggers anyway*

--------------------
I can only please one person a day.
Today is not your day.
Tomorrow doesn't look good either.

Posts: 500 | From: the clear blue sky | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016